Just took the DAT, got 2 really good scores two really bad. What should I do?

Do you think I'll get in?

• Yes

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 75.0%

• Total voters

09grandsport

2+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi guys,

Just took the DAT this morning. I have the Crack the DAT software and found the math to not be representative of the math on my test this morning. Also my main issue with math is timing so I ran out of time

So here are my scores. Let me know what you think

Quantitative Reasoning: 14
Gen Chem: 16
PAT: 18
Biology: 20
Organic Chem: 22
Reading Comp: 25

My total science and Academic avg were both 19 which is the avg for my top choice school.
Do you think they would look past my terrible math score given that my academic avg is the school's avg?

If it could help my case I could send my school documentation that for the Crack the DAT math tests i had been consistently getting 18 or 19's...

I also dont think Crack the DAT represents science very well. Its too hard, I was having trouble getting above an 18 in Bio and i got a 2o today. And I usually get a 20 on Orgo.

Also Crack the PAT is too easy. I usually get 21's or 22 on it and got an 18 today.

Additionally my science GPA is .2 above school avg and overall GPA .1 above avg. I wrote a killer personal statement have great reccomendation letters and 200 shadowing hours, 110 of which were direct assisting my mentor on international mission trips.

So what do you guys think. Think I'll get in? My school is ECU which only accepts NC residents so I have to be in the top 53 of about 350 applicants

DMikes

2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2016
Status
Dental Student
If it could help my case I could send my school documentation that for the Crack the DAT math tests i had been consistently getting 18 or 19's...
Definitely not.

I'd check with the cut off for ECU, but a 14 in QR is very, very low. Additionally, that 16 in Gen Chem would turn away most schools.

A retake may be necessary. Your best bet is to call the school and talk with them.

Nevertheless, Good luck!

LuckBloodandSweat

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2015
Status
Dental Student
A 16 in gen chem looks pretty bad :(. 14 in QR is prob a bit too low too tbh though. Nice 25 and 22 though.

orgoman22

DAT DESTROYER
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
New York City
www.orgoman.com
Status
Non-Student
Hi guys,

Just took the DAT this morning. I have the Crack the DAT software and found the math to not be representative of the math on my test this morning. Also my main issue with math is timing so I ran out of time

My total science and Academic avg were both 19 which is the avg for my top choice school.
Do you think they would look past my terrible math score given that my academic avg is the school's avg?

I also dont think Crack the DAT represents science very well. Its too hard, I was having trouble getting above an 18 in Bio and i got a 2o today. And I usually get a 20 on Orgo.

Also Crack the PAT is too easy. I usually get 21's or 22 on it and got an 18 today.

Additionally my science GPA is .2 above school avg and overall GPA .1 above avg. I wrote a killer personal statement have great reccomendation letters and 200 shadowing hours, 110 of which were direct assisting my mentor on international mission trips.

So what do you guys think. Think I'll get in? My school is ECU which only accepts NC residents so I have to be in the top 53 of about 350 applicants
Unfortunately a 14 is below the cut off for most schools and ECU will not be too keen on that 16 in GC either. IMO a retake is most definitely going to be needed. ECU is a very competitive school.

PM if you decide to retake and I will be happy to offer some advice.

Take care..Nancy

PAtoPharm

2+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2015
Hi guys,

Just curious, how was the math on the DAT you took different from the math problems that were included in the Crack the DAT software? I heard that they recently made changes to the QR section on the DAT, so I'm just curious

gangazi

2+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2016
Status
Dental Student
You should retake it... You will score high for reading since it is a skill rather than a knowledge/memory. Focus on other subjects and do practice tests for RC. I used Feralis notes for bio and chad for orgo/gchem for the first ~2month and feralis notes for bio and destroyer for the last month. My practice score of TS increased from 22 to 25, and ended up with a 27 TS on the real DAT. I highly recommend feralis notes and the destroyer.

gangazi

2+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Is retaking DAT in november too late for this cycle? =/

Sent from my SM-N920T using SDN mobile
Take it as early as possible, but only when you are ready to take it. It doesnt matter if it's late or not since you need to retake it in order to be competitive for this cycle. Dont stress over the timeline, but focus on making yourself more competitive.
Good luck!

Sep 5, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
The good news is that QR is generally seen as the least valuable score and RC is one of the more important ones. However, as others mentioned, you should retake it. When I was studying I found Math Destroyer and DAT Bootcamp most helpful for QR, and Chad's videos and DAT Destroyer most helpful for Gen Chem.

forensicDr

2+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2014
Take it as early as possible, but only when you are ready to take it. It doesnt matter if it's late or not since you need to retake it in order to be competitive for this cycle. Dont stress over the timeline, but focus on making yourself more competitive.
Good luck!
Thank u very much

2y4life

2+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2015
Status
Non-Student
Is retaking DAT in november too late for this cycle? =/

Also, what is your GPA? A 14 is way low and I although QR is arguably the least important area, many schools have cut off (officially and unofficially) where 16 or 17 is the cutoff. Your Gen Chem at 16 is also fairly low so I think it retaking it is your best shot. A 14/16 in the QR/GC will likely toss you out of the potential student pool.

You should retake it this month if you really want to have a realistic shot this cycle. November would be too late, imo.

Reactions: forensicDr

DMikes

2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Also, what is your GPA? A 14 is way low and I although QR is arguably the least important area, many schools have cut off (officially and unofficially) where 16 or 17 is the cutoff. Your Gen Chem at 16 is also fairly low so I think it retaking it is your best shot. A 14/16 in the QR/GC will likely toss you out of the potential student pool.

You should retake it this month if you really want to have a realistic shot this cycle. November would be too late, imo.

Keep in mind that you must wait 90 days to retake the DAT.

Reactions: LuckBloodandSweat
Jul 24, 2016
My breakdown was
Bio 18
Gen Chem 21
Orgo 26
RC 19
Pat 18
QR 14
AA & TS 20
I have recived 4 interviews already. (With a 14 QR)
I'd say if money isn't an issue go for it & apply. I totally understand the 14 QR because I hate math more than the next guy. But the 16 for gen chem is a red flag... If you don't want to invest the money, I'd definitely retake and bump up the gen chem and try to increase QR.