1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Just took the DAT... my scores and comments on the test

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Doogie Howser, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Doogie Howser

Doogie Howser practicing since age 12
    5+ Year Member

PAT 19
    QR 24
    RC 20
    BIO 22
    CHEM 20
    OCHEM 23
    TS 22
    AA 22

just some general comments...

I used topscore, destroyer, kaplan blue book, and the kaplan book they give you when you take the course (a friend let me use his).

PAT - On any practice test that i have taken, this has been my single best section. I was surprised to find that it was my lowest score but it was no surprise while I was taking the test. It was BY FAR the hardest questions on it that i have ever seen. the aperatures, views, and blocks were pretty easy/very straight forward, pattern folding and hole punching were moderate (i had some crazy folds), and angle ranking was practically impossible, they all looked like the same size (i'm normally really good at this).

QR - i'm a math minor so i didn't do too much here

RC - nothing really to say

BIO - i was surprised to see some of the questions that i saw. If i had not taken the upper level bio courses that i did, i don't think i would have ever seen some of the material that was asked before the exam. Some of the questions were things that I learned in Biochem, Systems Phys, Histology, etc. This and chem were my weakest sections coming into the test

CHEM - All i can say is that is was really weird. In any practice test or study material i saw, there were numerous computations, but my exam had only 2 computations on it, the rest were conceptual word problems.

OCHEM - No big surprises here, this was my strongest area coming into the test so I didn't really hammer the study material too hard, but it seemed like if you could go through destroyer a couple of times and end up getting the most/all the questions right, you would be in really good shape for this section.

overall, i was aiming for a 23 after getting an 18 on a diagnostic without studying (18 AA, 17 TS) but i would be an absolute idiot to say i wasn't happy with the results.

good luck to you all

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ddstobe

5+ Year Member

:thumbup: good job!

4. esperi

esperi New Member

Those are great scores! With your GPA, you'll definitely get in somewhere.
    Just curious, what were your scores from the Topscore practice tests?
    Was the QR section on the actual DAT on par with Topscore? I thought Topscore QR was ridiculous.

5. ATLATLATL

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    awesome scores! if you don't mind me asking what was your strategy for reading comp.?

6. Doogie Howser

5+ Year Member

the qr in topscore was a little different for my version... a lot more sine and cosine stuff, but the basic principles stayed the same. A lot of basic math, like solving for variables, miles to yards conversions, trig functions (although there was no trig identities on it). the trig functions were more of the type where you were given what a certain function equaled and you need to figure out what the other ones are.

reading i honestly just kind of wung it. i did the a kaplan test and a top score test but its pretty straightforward (sat-like). i read the entire passage, noting what seemed like important things down for each paragraph so i could easily find things for the questions.

my topscore practice tests i ranged from 19-21 in bio, 20-21 in chem, 22-23 in ochem, 24-27 in qr, and 22-24's in rc, and all 22's in the pat.

7. Nasem

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    bad @$$ scores man, congrats

how long did you study for the test for ?

8. slashnroses19

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    as vinnie would say " good job doogs "

9. Doogie Howser

5+ Year Member

i half assed studying for about a month (would study for a couple days, take like 4 or 5 off for studying so much, haha) Then these past two weeks for the first couple days i hit the destroyer hard, doing ochem all in one day, then chem the next (while reviewing ochem), and bio the next (while reviewing chem). i took each of the destroyer sections until i got less than 5 wrong.

then i went right to the top score practice tests to see what i needed to work on. I made a study sheet from the bio section of the destroyer and top score and studying that and took each of the top score sections until i got them perfect. other than that, i didn't do anything special.

oh and i also found it important to not only get all the right answers in destroyer and top score, but it was even more important to understand why all the wrong answers are wrong. each wrong answer is a topic in itself that should be understood. something that didn't show up on mine was classification though

10. poc91nc

poc91nc Membership Revoked
    Removed 7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    When you say chem was conceptual....do you mean standard conceptual questions like the types we see in our everyday study manuals....or weird oddball conceptual questions like hair splitting MCAT conceptual questions that test really basic definitions/concepts but make you second guess every time.

11. thebluebmw

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Greattt scores, great job!!! most of the people that have posting lately have been saying that the math was all word problems and the reading comp was long and 50% inference questions, was ur test the same?

12. McSexyDDS

McSexyDDS 2009 Applicant
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    good scores!!!

i like that break down of the sections...thanks...

13. RussianCUB

RussianCUB looking at teeth for life
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I must tell you that i think those scores are amazing.. congratulation!

I'm also using Destroyer and Top Score, hopefully i will have as much success as you did.

14. daiz613

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    awesome scores doogie! you're definitely in! :)

i'm using the same materials as you...i hope i can do just as well. how did you feel about the timing for each section?

15. c882115

c882115 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Where can I get the Destroyer?

16. Ive been studying all semester but havent done ANY practice tests. I've got about 10 days after exams to do practice exam after practice exam before my DAT

Would you recommend Top Score or Dat Destroyer?

17. Doogie Howser

5+ Year Member

there wasn't a section that i didn't end early. it seemed like i always had about 5 minutes extra.

destroyer and topscore are really different, destroyer is a lot of questions where topscore are actual practice exams. I would get both because they are both different but useful resources.

search google for where you can get each.

oh and about the reading comprehension, there were a lot of inference questions now that i think about it. like "what would a good conclusion sentence for this passage be" or "what was the authors tone"

18. c882115

c882115 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

http://www.orgoman.com/datdestroyer.html

Is this the Dat Destroyer you mentioned?

19. Doogie Howser

5+ Year Member

yes, but don't get it based off of just my recommendation, make sure you research it too.

there are plenty of posts on here that say it is a huge waste of money, it just depends whether you learn better from, problems or outlines

20. washingtonDAT

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Dude your set! Well done....

21. Mstoothlady2012

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    :) nice scores!:thumbup:

22. uklover08

uklover08 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    when u would study destroyer, you would keep taking the test over and over til u could memorize all the answers and why they were right or wrong?

also what do u recommend for the trig equalities, like sin of blah blah, whats the equivalent trig value?

23. Doogie Howser

5+ Year Member

all of my trig stuff was of the form

sin x = 4/5
    what is cos of x...

you solve that by setting up a triangle.

there wasn't anything like sin^2 + cos^2 =1 or those other identities... but they could appear on there, those were on the qr for destroyer

24. quikag1

10+ Year Member

Nice job. Good luck with ur application process. One question though, you mentioned that gen chem was very conceptual. Can you elaborate a little better because, like you, most of the questions that I practice with are computational.
    Thanks

25. Law0830

Law0830 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    solid grades congradss!