Just took the DAT, What are my Chances? 16QR 18TS 18AA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dg404

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I just took the DAT and I'm not really happy with my scores.

PA=20
QR=16
RC=20
BIO=19
GEN CHEM= 18
OCHEM=17
Total Science= 18
Academic Average= 18

I feel like maybe the pressure of the test and timing got the better of me. Based on my practice tests I was expecting a little higher. I'm worried about my QR. Ive heard the cut off is right on 16 so I'm not sure how much this might affect me. I have 3.45 Science GPA and a 3.50 Overall GPA. I work as an dental assistant and I think I have good extracurriculars. I'm also Hispanic (if that makes a difference). Any input or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone.

I just took the DAT and I'm not really happy with my scores.

PA=20
QR=16
RC=20
BIO=19
GEN CHEM= 18
OCHEM=17
Total Science= 18
Academic Average= 18

I feel like maybe the pressure of the test and timing got the better of me. Based on my practice tests I was expecting a little higher. I'm worried about my QR. Ive heard the cut off is right on 16 so I'm not sure how much this might affect me. I have 3.45 Science GPA and a 3.50 Overall GPA. I work as an dental assistant and I think I have good extracurriculars. I'm also Hispanic (if that makes a difference). Any input or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
17 is a cutoff, but I think for QR they might be tolerant. 18 is maybe average or slightly below average in respect to accepted applicants. You have a decent GPA. I assume your applying next cycle because you just took the DAT and applying now will maybe be detrimental. So if you cannot take it again, just be hopeful, but if you want a firm answer just take it again within the year. Although people do get into dental schools with your similar stats, so its up to you if you want to be hopeful or confident.

Reactions: 1 user
I think being a URM could definitely work to your advantage if you frame your experience well in your personal statement. Are you involved in your communities? What, specifically will you do for your community when you complete your education? I think these are good things to meditate on as you take this step. I really like Caesar Chavez's quote: "The end of all education should surely be service to others." I think one major determining factor for me between dental and medical was dental schools' overwhelming commitment to the communities (often urban) where they operate. It's listed in every schools' mission statement. If you can appeal to this, I think this could be a determining factor for you. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
dg404, do you mind sharing your practice test scores?

I was averaging 20 on all the QVault tests. and my Bootcamp scores were 21 average. After reading a bunch of threads it seems like people score a little higher on the real test than practice tests so I was expecting at least a 19 or 20. I do get really bad test anxiety and I think that might be what happened

I was using bootcamp, qvault, and DAT destroyer. I was averaging 20s on all tests. Is a 16 too low for the QR section?
I've seen plenty of people getting accepted with 16 in QR.
I heard a lot of school don't heavily weigh QR section.
Maryland requires minimum 18 on all sections except PAT.
I would definitely retake.

Is QR that hard?
Ive seen low QR scores here on SDN recently and its scaring me!
My exam is coming up real soon

Is QR that hard?
Ive seen low QR scores here on SDN recently and its scaring me!
My exam is coming up real soon

I think it is all on how comfortable you are with word problems and quick calculations in your head. I did not study for QR or RC for one minute even and got 21 and 22 on them. I will say I had some tan / cos / sin problems on mine and I had no idea and immediately guessed and moved on to spend more time on a problem I knew I could solve.

I've seen plenty of people getting accepted with 16 in QR.
I heard a lot of school don't heavily weigh QR section.
Maryland requires minimum 18 on all sections except PAT.
I would definitely retake.
I should retake it even though plenty of people have been accepted with a 16?

I should retake it even though plenty of people have been accepted with a 16?
Listen. Your GPA/DAT stats make you the average applicant. If you apply next year, I suggest retaking the DAT. If you apply this year, I think it is okay for you to retake, if you do so ASAP since DAT scores take 2 weeks to process. If you apply this year with those scores, apply broadly. June, July, and August are considered early by some adcoms (i.e. Case, VCU).

Now that you've taken the DAT, you know what it's like and how it works...you know how to improve timing/relieve pressure if you retake the DAT. Good luck!!

Listen. Your GPA/DAT stats make you the average applicant. If you apply next year, I suggest retaking the DAT. If you apply this year, I think it is okay for you to retake, if you do so ASAP since DAT scores take 2 weeks to process. If you apply this year with those scores, apply broadly. June, July, and August are considered early by some adcoms (i.e. Case, VCU).

Now that you've taken the DAT, you know what it's like and how it works...you know how to improve timing/relieve pressure if you retake the DAT. Good luck!!
You don't think November would be too late to retake the DAT for this years cycle?

I think November would be widely considered to be late since DAT processing takes 2 weeks.

I think November would be widely considered to be late since DAT processing takes 2 weeks.
I wouldn't be able to retake the DAT for this cycle till November since theres a mandatory 3 month wait time in between tests.

What schools are you hoping to apply to?
I have the 2015 Guide to dental schools and was going to use that to apply to schools that have their average DAT at 19 given my AA is an 18. Still not so sure about my QR. I know its really low

I wouldn't be able to retake the DAT for this cycle till November since theres a mandatory 3 month wait time in between tests.
Yeah, you're right. I think you have most of the information to know how to make an informed personal decision. If you want to know the real answer, call up some dental schools.

Yeah, you're right. I think you have most of the information to know how to make an informed personal decision. If you want to know the real answer, call up some dental schools.

completely agree....call up schools and tell them your stats....they will straight up tell you if you are viewed as competitive or not. I wouldn't e-submit until then. At least this way you would be able to possibly save yourself a lot of money and not have to rewrite a new personal statement.