Just took the TPR practice exam...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ADSigMel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
...and I wish I had taken it earlier than 9 days before my actual MCAT. Or known before looking at my score that it would NOT be representative of my actual preparedness. LOL, I saw that score of 501 and was like, "NOOOOOOO!!!!!" I'm so glad there were plenty of posts here that I could read to pull me back from the ledge. Plus that fabulous spreadsheets comparing all the different practice exam scores to real scores. I've still got a NS exam and AAMC Test 1 to take, but that TPR score really had me down for a few minutes!

Members don't see this ad.

Review the answers, then forget it. You should be planning on taking both AAMC 1 & 2 if you haven't yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I've already taken AAMC 2. I'm taking AAMC 1 in a few days, then planning a little R&R before the big day. I've only got 8 days left, so if I don't know it now, I won't know it then, either.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
I would advise being careful towards your exam date administration to not read too deeply into your practice scores. Assuming that you've taken a few practice tests already, these scores should be more indicative about your overall preparedness. One of the mistakes I made was take full length practice tests up to about 3-4 days prior to the exam, and I would get a low score, and end up spiking my nerves and lose concentration rather than be confident in what I already know.

It's just unfortunate that we had so little reliable scored FLs (only the AAMC ones). That level of uncertainty is really challenging because it determined whether you are ready for the test or need to postpone.
I kind of lost fight after scoring ~3 TPR FLs, when I consistently scored low and showed no improvement.

I got a 501 on TPR practice as well. Scored a 520+ on the real thing. I wouldn't read too far into it TPR isn't incredibly representative. AAMC 1&2 are decently accurate at predicting your score based on personal experience as well as what I've read here.

Reactions: 3 users
How did you do it? I mean, mind sharing how do you review your FLs?
Sure! I mean, I don't think what I do is anything special. I just go back through the FL once I'm done and I read all of the explanations for why a certain answer is correct. A lot of the times, I'm between 2 answers and I like getting to read the explanation because it gives me clear-cut advice on how to pick between two answers. Although, sometimes AAMC explanations suck, so then I will just google the question and usually people on forums like SDN or Reddit have a better explanation.

I make notes on things I want to remember or concepts I want to review, and then I make sure to review those concepts by looking them up and reading an article or watching a Khan Academy video. Then repeat with next FL, and hope to see improvement, especially on the concepts I reviewed. I judge my progress this way: even if my score didn't go up, I want to see that things that I got wrong before I am now getting right. That's pretty much it!

Reactions: 1 users
I got a 501 on TPR practice as well. Scored a 520+ on the real thing. I wouldn't read too far into it TPR isn't incredibly representative. AAMC 1&2 are decently accurate at predicting your score based on personal experience as well as what I've read here.
Would you even recommend bothering to do a TPR exam? I have 3 free ones from the box set but I was thinking of just purchasing NS ones because they seem to be better...

(Testing May 18th)

Would you even recommend bothering to do a TPR exam? I have 3 free ones from the box set but I was thinking of just purchasing NS ones because they seem to be better...

(Testing May 18th)
The NS tests were the most representative ones in my opinion. EK were also very good and even did some things better than NS. If you only have two weeks I'd try to take a couple NS if you have the ability to purchase them. TPR is better than nothing though.

(Testing May 18th)

Although nothing really resembles AAMC CARS material; I think that TPR might have the most accurate CARS material excluding AAMC. It would be worthwhile trying some of their CARS Q's. IMO, ranking CARS - AAMC>TPR>NS>Altius>EK>Kaplan.

I just took a NS full length with a score of 510, so I feel a little better. I'll take my last AAMC practice exam probably on Wednesday, and then call it good.