Just toured the University of Washington campus!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bubblehead-to-MD

Emergency Blow!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all interested in applying to the University of Washington SOM:

I am out in Seattle on a business trip, so I decided to tour the campus while I was out here. I absolutely loved it! The campus is located near the water. The SOM is in a building adjacent to the hospital and the library; they are actually all interconnected...very convenient! I absolutely love the downtown area, which has a wide variety of restaurants/pubs/bars. Amazing location!

Now, if I can only get them to send me a secondary invite!

Members don't see this ad.

I love Seattle. Especially during the summer. :love: Too bad I live in Houston at the moment. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey did you call ahead to schedule a tour? Thanks!

Oculus Sinistra said:
Hope so! Good luck! :thumbup:

Thanks! I thought about stopping by the Office of Admissions to ask them about it, but since I was pretty sweaty and wearing flip-flops, I decided it would be in my best interest not to!

DrVanNostran said:
Hey did you call ahead to schedule a tour? Thanks!

Oh...let me clarify. This tour was self-guided! :)

wooohoooo, go UW!!!!!! good luck :luck:

sigh...times like this i wish i wasn't a CA resident :(

yes. The UW is awesome. I was accepted there for undergrad but chose another school. I had reasons. The graduate library is amazing. I believe is supposed to be an imitation of Notre Dame Cathedral. I could be wrong.

You should check out gasworks park; it is the second best view of Seattle, first is Queen Anne Hill. Gasworks is a 20 minute walk from South campus. Good luck.

):( said:
You should check out gasworks park; it is the second best view of Seattle, first is Queen Anne Hill. Gasworks is a 20 minute walk from South campus. Good luck.

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to check it out before I leave here on Saturday! :thumbup:

burntfries said:
sigh...times like this i wish i wasn't a CA resident :(

I hear ya! I'm a PA resident, so my chances are pretty slim too!

I love Seattle!!
Does anyone know how many OOS residents they accept per year?

Members don't see this ad :)
WildTumor said:
I love Seattle!!
Does anyone know how many OOS residents they accept per year?

I don't have the MSAR in front of me, but if I remember correctly, their acceptance rate for OOS applicants is higher than the Florida schools.

Thanks -- that's somewhat encouraging. If anyone has exact numbers please post them.

--WT

According to USNews...33/2234 OOS apps. are accepted (I assume this includes the MD/PhD spots). According to the UWSOM website, I think those non-MD/PhD spots have other specific preferences.

But heck...I'm from Oregon...grew up in Washington, went to high school there, lived there for over 25 years, and attended a State of Washington funded school and applied with hope as well! Good :luck:!!!

Reality check.

The UW is a great school, no doubt about that. But as far as facilities go, it could be a lot better. The library is so dungeon-like that we avoid it whenever possible (a lot of us go to the Law library instead). The cafeteria is blah at best. The lounge is downright depressing compared to those of other schools. And our small group rooms are reconverted lab rooms, complete with fire-proof tables and everything.

For medical school, you won't spend too much time in the graduate library or even the vast majority of the north campus.

Location-wise, Seattle is definitely awesome for outdoorsy-types.

unless you're a resident of one of the WWAMI states, you won't get in unless you're from a disadvantaged bkgd. or have made a significant commitment to serving underserved communities (check the website for the exact language). this is straight from the horse's (dean of admissions) mouth at a presentation a few weeks ago. note this applies to MD only, not MD/PhD.

yes, Seattle rocks in the summer (except for this past weekend when it was too freakin' hot -90s - we don't have air conditioning here!)

Iwy Em Hotep said:
Reality check.

The UW is a great school, no doubt about that. But as far as facilities go, it could be a lot better. The library is so dungeon-like that we avoid it whenever possible (a lot of us go to the Law library instead). The cafeteria is blah at best. The lounge is downright depressing compared to those of other schools. And our small group rooms are reconverted lab rooms, complete with fire-proof tables and everything.

For medical school, you won't spend too much time in the graduate library or even the vast majority of the north campus.

Location-wise, Seattle is definitely awesome for outdoorsy-types.

Harsh, but true. The location is nice, but let me tell you that walk along the water from GasWorks to campus in the rain (that is november-april) gets old.

As far as med school, the Health Science building is in DIRE need of some upgrades, but there have been some nice improvements to the actual hospital.

Now...if we could only get a decent football team.

Thanks for the impressions. I'm excited!

PhotoMD said:
Forget football, UW is the volleyball champion!

I agree! I don't like volleyball that much, but I would rather watch those trees dominate than our meatheads get stomped on (they are actually still raising ticket prices).

Now, with this advice, I am sure all of the prospective md applicants will rescind their applications.

Go Time said:
According to USNews...33/2234 OOS apps. are accepted (I assume this includes the MD/PhD spots). According to the UWSOM website, I think those non-MD/PhD spots have other specific preferences.

But heck...I'm from Oregon...grew up in Washington, went to high school there, lived there for over 25 years, and attended a State of Washington funded school and applied with hope as well! Good :luck:!!!

Thanks...(*sighs as he debates whether he should even bother applying)

I think they take so few OOS because they span the WWAMI region as In-state for people. :)

The UW seems like a cool place for undergrad. I wish I had considered it back then.

wooohoooo, just got an email saying my app is complete!!!!! they are going to review it. email said interviews start oct 1st. it would be great to get one before season starts oct 15th. yay for my #1!!!!!!!!

sorry, had to get that out of my system.

DrHusky said:
I agree! I don't like volleyball that much, but I would rather watch those trees dominate than our meatheads get stomped on (they are actually still raising ticket prices).

Now, with this advice, I am sure all of the prospective md applicants will rescind their applications.
Remember the days when UW was a football powerhouse?
I actually rooted for Michigan in the Rose Bowl once because I felt like someone else deserved to win (I was also 9 at the time... now I'm into just steamrolling opponents)