Just trying to figure this thing out...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AZhiker93

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've posted a few times regarding classes and what not, but i'm starting to wonder if i'm truly headed in the right direction.

A quick synopsis:

I'm 23, married with two children. I complete my bachelors of nursing in April with a 3.87 cGPA with the potential to raise it to 3.89. sGPA is probably a 3.95 or so. I've calculated it all out and I have to take about 8 or 9 more classes to meet most school requirements and prepare for the MCAT. I have always had this feeling of being called to medicine, I truly just feel like it's where I need to be. I chose nursing initially because I needed to increase my income for my family and the traditional premed route wasn't right at the time. It's not where I want to be for my entire life though.

Guys, am I over my head here? My biggest apprehension is the finances of it all. To take the extra undergrad courses I am looking at about an extra $22K. I have ZERO debt from my nursing undergrad. When I started looking at all of this stuff I was super excited. Now I'm feeling more than overwhelmed and questioning myself.

What do you think, is this journey worth it for me?

I know it's my choice, but advice of peers is valued.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I've posted a few times regarding classes and what not, but i'm starting to wonder if i'm truly headed in the right direction.

A quick synopsis:

I'm 23, married with two children. I complete my bachelors of nursing in April with a 3.87 cGPA with the potential to raise it to 3.89. sGPA is probably a 3.95 or so. I've calculated it all out and I have to take about 8 or 9 more classes to meet most school requirements and prepare for the MCAT. I have always had this feeling of being called to medicine, I truly just feel like it's where I need to be. I chose nursing initially because I needed to increase my income for my family and the traditional premed route wasn't right at the time. It's not where I want to be for my entire life though.

Guys, am I over my head here? My biggest apprehension is the finances of it all. To take the extra undergrad courses I am looking at about an extra $22K. I have ZERO debt from my nursing undergrad. When I started looking at all of this stuff I was super excited. Now I'm feeling more than overwhelmed and questioning myself.

Thanks.
If it is worth it depends on you. If it is worth it then you should be a doc. I gave up a good job (50k) and fully immerse myself in healthcare and school. I worked as a CNA (10-12/hr) throughout college...ouch. I also have a child and had no wife to help. Do what you have to do. Me personally? I would do it. I couldn't keep my job and go to school but you can keep your nursing job since it is pretty flexible with school. You make a good salary and can pay for the 22K. My opportunity cost was real but looking back today...was it worth it? Hell yes. I am going to be ZurcMD lol. If you want to be a physician, bite that damn bullet and plow your way through. Youre actually in a good place. Good gpa, spouse that can help with the kids/money, clinical experience, higher income than most premeds, ect. I would do it.

Reactions: 1 users

A quick synopsis:

Thanks.
If you need a go ahead from someone in this forum in order for you to pursue medicine then reconsider your plan.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
medicine is a huge investment, financially, emotionally, and physically. after the cost of taking the rest of your courses, there will be the application season (primary, secondaries, interviews) and then the actual cost of attendance for 4 years. residency doesn't pay much, and that'll be another 4-7 years depending on what field you choose to go into.

you have had a lot of clinical exposure as a nurse. do you feel that you crave more autonomy and responsibility in assisting patients to make medical decisions? what is the ultimate motivation for pursuing medicine? you'll most likely receive these questions along the interview path if you decide to apply and are successful, but I think it's even more important to be honest with yourself now about these answers.

I think it's normal to feel scared and worried, especially because it seems like things are going well for you currently. but like any big decision, it's a risk and harbors a large potential for rocking the boat. but I think that having that little voice in the back of your head says a lot. I'm of the belief that the courage to try is much more important than the end result of success. after all, we can only be as successful as our willingness to fail. whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck. :)

To take the extra undergrad courses I am looking at about an extra $22K. I have ZERO debt from my nursing undergrad. When I started looking at all of this stuff I was super excited. Now I'm feeling more than overwhelmed and questioning myself.

Thanks.
"Sometimes you have to spend money to make money". The aforementioned can also be adjusted to: "Sometimes you have to spend money to make a dream come true". Debt = life. Get used to it.

I could be wrong but it seems like most of your apprehension doesn't have to do with your commitment to medicine but the worry about how the choices you are making will impact your family. I get that. I'm single with no partner or kids but given that I'm thirty, I worry about how this choice will impact my ability to be in a position to support my parents should they ever need it. I don't have advice for you. The responsibility seems enormous. I think my only suggestion is that you try to get your family on board. I think you, and they, might feel better if you all have some collective understanding of the challenges, sacrifices, and rewards you might in encounter in pursuing this path.

Wish you the best.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You just gotta be willing to throw everyone under the bus or it isn't real :soexcited:

J/K but in reality, your family will suffer to some extent, at least financially and from a lack of time with them. My best advice is to make sure wife is on board, if not, run away from medicine as fast as you can.

I could be wrong but it seems like most of your apprehension doesn't have to do with your commitment to medicine but the worry about how the choices you are making will impact your family. I get that. I'm single with no partner or kids but given that I'm thirty, I worry about how this choice will impact my ability to be in a position to support my parents should they ever need it. I don't have advice for you. The responsibility seems enormous. I think my only suggestion is that you try to get your family on board. I think you, and they, might feel better if you all have some collective understanding of the challenges, sacrifices, and rewards you might in encounter in pursuing this path.

Wish you the best.

You're exactly right. It's not the debt itself or whether or not I can rise to the challenge. I know I can do that. I'm simply looking for the thoughts and guidance of those who are further along in the journey than me. I don't think it suddenly makes my dream trivial or that I need to question my plan. Thanks for seeing my real concern and question.
You just gotta be willing to throw everyone under the bus or it isn't real :soexcited:

J/K but in reality, your family will suffer to some extent, at least financially and from a lack of time with them. My best advice is to make sure wife is on board, if not, run away from medicine as fast as you can.

She's on board! Honestly, i'm not looking for someone else to direct my life decisions. I'm simply seeking the advice and guidance of peers that have gone through the process a bit more than me. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I appreciate your honest guidance and input.

Reactions: 1 user
Yep, well that's my guidance, b/c without my wife on board there is no way I could do this. She went into labor this semester right before a midterm and told me to go ahead and take my time, she would hold the baby off until I could finish my exam :D