just trying to see my odds + any advice/places where i should build my application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poorunfortunatesoul

Reaction score
hi all,

just wanted to see how my current resume and application stacks up against other pre-med students and what areas i can work on to improve it, so that it can be stronger by the time i do apply!

currently a sophomore, so i still have time to resume build and work on my gpa, mcat score, so obviously my full profile isn't complete. i would love some advice on where are my weakness and strengths, and maybe even what schools i could get into with my current profile. thank you so much!

cGPA: 3.96 sGPA: 4.0 (hoping to maintain above a 3.9)
MCAT: taking it this summer (aiming for 518+)
State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): CA
Ethnicity and/or race: non-URM
Undergraduate institution or category: Top public school
Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
- hospital volunteer: 300+ hours
- hospital office administrator
Research experience and productivity:
- clinical research
- highkey a lot of research stuff
Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
- none i was really excited to start shadowing last summer but then covid hit so am quite worried about that
Non-clinical volunteering:
- two community service opportunities
Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc):
- several orgs (not gonna elaborate for privacy)
- writer/editor for several orgs of all kinds (science and humanities)
- college advisor/mentor
Relevant honors or awards:
- some stuff from high school, but not much in college at the moment

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Awards from HS do not matter. Do not include.

GPA is excellent, just do well on the MCAT.

Clinical experience and Research seem good so far. Non-clinical volunteering...you didn't state specifics but hopefully you are doing well in this department as well. Would be ideal to serve the underserved if that is an opportunity for you.

Shadowing...you still have time so just shadow 2 or so physicians (maybe one specialty and one primary)

App looks pretty good so far. Can't give you the best app review until your MCAT score comes through. Looking good so far.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd suggest not spreading yourself too thin on your activities. Better to be dedicated to a few quality activities (over a lengthy period) that are truly meaningful to you than having a whole bunch of scattered stuff with limited commitment / depth. Your secondary essays and interviews will be more engaging and successful if you have deep, long-term commitments in 2-3 areas.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Awards from HS do not matter. Do not include.

GPA is excellent, just do well on the MCAT.

Clinical experience and Research seem good so far. Non-clinical volunteering...you didn't state specifics but hopefully you are doing well in this department as well. Would be ideal to serve the underserved if that is an opportunity for you.

Shadowing...you still have time so just shadow 2 or so physicians (maybe one specialty and one primary)

App looks pretty good so far. Can't give you the best app review until your MCAT score comes through. Looking good so far.
thank you so much for the reply! will definitely look into shadowing opportunities when covid dies down.

Last edited:
I'd suggest not spreading yourself too thin on your activities. Better to be dedicated to a few quality activities (over a lengthy period) that are truly meaningful to you than having a whole bunch of scattered stuff with limited commitment / depth. Your secondary essays and interviews will be more engaging and successful if you have deep, long-term commitments in 2-3 areas.
thank you! this is great advice to me because i tend to take on as much as possible

Last edited: