tjquinn

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Hey everyone!

Well I am feel pretty happy today, I just got verifed by AMCAS, and my sGPA jumped far higher than I thought it would. Anyway, I was wondering the weights of each breakdown (i.e., sGPA>cGPA>AOGPA?). I ask because, like many, my GPA happens to be so good because of the science classes that I took. Consequently, my AO GPA is much lower than either my sGPA or cGPA:

BCPM GPA: 3.92
AO GPA: 3.77
cGPA: 3.87

Thanks for the clarification!

Tjquinn

canjosh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2004
Houston
Status
Medical Student
Don't worry, you're fine. Cumulative is the first screening tool, your sGPA is excellent. Good work!

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everyone!

Well I am feel pretty happy today, I just got verifed by AMCAS, and my sGPA jumped far higher than I thought it would. Anyway, I was wondering the weights of each breakdown (i.e., sGPA>cGPA>AOGPA?). I ask because, like many, my GPA happens to be so good because of the science classes that I took. Consequently, my AO GPA is much lower than either my sGPA or cGPA:

BCPM GPA: 3.92
AO GPA: 3.77
cGPA: 3.87

Thanks for the clarification!

Tjquinn
You are in excellent shape - good luck!

And by the way, a 3.77/3.92 is pretty balanced haha. AND most have AO GPA > BCPM lol.

Naijaba

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi tjquinn,

Your stats look fine, I think the cGPA is the first bar for applicants. Do you mind if I ask when you submitted your primary? I'm trying to figure out when mine will be verified.

Thanks!

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
OP
T

tjquinn

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Hi tjquinn,

Your stats look fine, I think the cGPA is the first bar for applicants. Do you mind if I ask when you submitted your primary? I'm trying to figure out when mine will be verified.

Thanks!
Sounds good! I submitted on June 26th, so I got my amcas in about 3-4 weeks.

Tjquinn

OP
T

tjquinn

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for the info everyone. Good luck with the cycle everyone.

Tjquinn

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical

canjosh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2004
Houston
Status
Medical Student
Are sure are you about this? They don't take sGPA into account?
Not what I said. sGPA is taken into account. But if cGPA is 3.0, it probably won't matter how good the sGPA is. The whole GPA*10 plus MCAT score screening technique is based on cGPA.

Stratego

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2009
Status
If you take a look at the School Selection spreadsheet at the top of this forum you'll see that they give each school's bottom tenth percentile for both cGPA and sGPA (short for BCPM GPA). When you pick schools, be sure you're at or above that number for both.

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes it is taken into account. Don't expect to get in anywhere (US MD) with a cGPA of 3.4 and a sGPA of 2.7.

DaTruMD

10+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2008
If you take a look at the School Selection spreadsheet at the top of this forum you'll see that they give each school's bottom tenth percentile for both cGPA and sGPA (short for BCPM GPA). When you pick schools, be sure you're at or above that number for both.
Where exactly is the school selection spreadsheet? :confused:

Thanks!

Jul 21, 2009
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
To OP, when did you submit your AMCAS? I'm trying to gauge when mine will be processed! I submitted 07 / 08 :D

OP
T

tjquinn

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I submitted on June 26th (I think). Goodluck

Jul 21, 2009
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I see.. so there is approximately 20 day difference between submission and verification.. Thanks

OP
T

tjquinn

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2009
Status
Medical Student
That sounds about right, but remember its faster processing when you submit earlier. Since you submitted in July, I would expect a 4-6 week window because EVERYONE is now submitting.

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I see.. so there is approximately 20 day difference between submission and verification.. Thanks
I wouldn't bank on 20 days (unless you mean business days) - probably more like 4 weeks at this point.