Just want to make sure (regarding LORs)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheez

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just got verified and I'll be submitting my application to about 30 schools ASAP. I had a question about the number of LORs though. I understand that each school has their own requirements but when I checked their websites, most schools say they want a committee letter OR 3 individual letters. Most don't mention a maximum limit or even if they accept extras beyond 3. Is this implied? For these schools do I send them exactly 3 letters or can I send in an addition 2 as supplements. I have 5 strong letters I'd like to send in:

-Engineering prof
-Bio lab prof
-Public health prof (non-science)
-Clinical research physician
-Free clinic volunteer director

And like I said I'll be applying to 30 schools, probably all the mid to low tier schools with some reaches. Does anyone know off the top of their heads any schools that have a maximum limit that is under 5 LORs? Most of my friends who applied last year also had 5 and they just sent all of them to all the schools they applied to. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I imagine you will be sending a committee letter, as that is very preferred if available to you. As far as extra letters, I think you will just have to ask each about their policies. Sometimes they publish it in an FAQ or something.

I should have clarified. My school, a UC, does not have a premedical committee. Also, many schools don't mention a maximum number of letters on their websites.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm... I would just send in what they ask for. Schools that allow supplemental letters will indicate that. I'm sure the schools with 3 letter limits probably won't read any extra letters you sent in (just my guess). Are you sending in letters individually or as a packet?

I went to a UC too and I'm using their letter packet service (no committee involved). So they will send this packet to AMCAS and AMCAS will forward ALL 5 of my letters to every school (you're not allowed to pick and choose which ones go where). If you're sending a letter packet, they'll accept it (even though it's more than 3 letters), but it's up to them whether they would read all of them.

Let me get this straight, your letter service is not a premedical committee letter and it doesn't individually upload the letters to AMCAS?? You have to send the same x letters to every school in a packet? Sounds like a rip off.

Let me get this straight, your letter service is not a premedical committee letter and it doesn't individually upload the letters to AMCAS?? You have to send the same x letters to every school in a packet? Sounds like a rip off.

Well the service keeps letters for up to 7 years or something. AMCAS letter service only holds them for one cycle.

Besides, now all the schools will accept my 5 letters :). Though of course it's up to them whether they'll read them all.

My school is the same way. They just collect the letters, take their sweet time, then send the pdfs in a packet to AMCAS. Oh, and they might have lost one of my letters so I had to get another copy from my prof.

Ok interesting. Thanks for the input. I'm just going to send all 5 of my letters to every school that doesn't mention a maximum or doesn't mention anything about supplemental letters. I hope this will be OK. Thanks again. Anyone know of any schools off the top of their heads that will disqualify applicants for sending supplemental letters?

Ok interesting. Thanks for the input. I'm just going to send all 5 of my letters to every school that doesn't mention a maximum or doesn't mention anything about supplemental letters. I hope this will be OK. Thanks again. Anyone know of any schools off the top of their heads that will disqualify applicants for sending supplemental letters?

I'm sure no med school would reject you for sending in supplemental letters!! They just wouldn't read them if they didn't want them. Again, just my guess.