just wondering if i qualify

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medhoney

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if I am considered as a URM. Because so far when I applied to undergrad, my parents told me to classify myself as such and so I did. But now, I'm wondering if it really DOES apply to me or not.

Basically, when I applied for undergrad, we were straight out from the PHilippines (I was born and raised there til I was 15 and at the time I was applying for undergrad, we've only been here for a year and a half. we moved middle of my junior year in hs). Although my parents went to college in the Philippines, I am basically the first one to attend college here in the US. I am also basically the first one who will be pursuing medicine. Anyway, I started working when I was 15 and went on like that til I got to college because my parents needed help in paying expenses and what not. I worked throughout college and all throughout grad school (my parents still don't get paid enough. plus with my lil bro going to college too).

The race thing might not work for me I guess cuz I'm considered Asian or Pacific Islander? And based on some of the charts I"ve seen in another thread, I am not technically underrepresented, right? So I don't know. Just looking for advice. My racial breakdown is as such:
12.5% - Chinese
62.5% - Filipino
25% - Portuguese

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Ahh double post...slow internet

I was just wondering if I am considered as a URM. Because so far when I applied to undergrad, my parents told me to classify myself as such and so I did. But now, I'm wondering if it really DOES apply to me or not.

Basically, when I applied for undergrad, we were straight out from the PHilippines (I was born and raised there til I was 15 and at the time I was applying for undergrad, we've only been here for a year and a half. we moved middle of my junior year in hs). Although my parents went to college in the Philippines, I am basically the first one to attend college here in the US. I am also basically the first one who will be pursuing medicine. Anyway, I started working when I was 15 and went on like that til I got to college because my parents needed help in paying expenses and what not. I worked throughout college and all throughout grad school (my parents still don't get paid enough. plus with my lil bro going to college too).

The race thing might not work for me I guess cuz I'm considered Asian or Pacific Islander? And based on some of the charts I"ve seen in another thread, I am not technically underrepresented, right? So I don't know. Just looking for advice. My racial breakdown is as such:
12.5% - Chinese
62.5% - Filipino
25% - Portuguese

Thanks in advance!

It's a self designation, but traditionally people of Asian/South Asian/Pacific Island descent are not considered URM but rather ORM (over represented minority). Traditionally the groups that have been considered "URM" are African Americans, Native Americans/Alaskans, Main land Puerto Ricans, and Mexicans. School by school will decide whether you are URM or not....for instance some hispanics other than Puerto Ricans and Mexicans may be considered URM by a school...but I've never heard of someone with anglo/asian background being considered URM. Just what I know...

On the other hand you may be considered "disadvantaged" for your personal situation and you are definitely a first in your family to go to college so that as well is another category you fall into.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a self designation, but traditionally people of Asian/South Asian/Pacific Island descent are not considered URM but rather ORM (over represented minority). Traditionally the groups that have been considered "URM" are African Americans, Native Americans/Alaskans, Main land Puerto Ricans, and Mexicans. School by school will decide whether you are URM or not....for instance some hispanics other than Puerto Ricans and Mexicans may be considered URM by a school...but I've never heard of someone with anglo/asian background being considered URM. Just what I know...

On the other hand you may be considered "disadvantaged" for your personal situation and you are definitely a first in your family to go to college so that as well is another category you fall into.

thanks for the reply. i guess you're right. i figured i am actually disadvantaged but not urm.

Check the following link to see the official definition of URMs for american medical schools:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=445413

You probably wouldn't qualify as URM, but you might fall under the disadvantaged category. All you can do is apply and see if the schools consider you to be what you consider yourself to be.

How is he/she first in his/her family if his/her parents went to college in the Philippines?