MD2b20004

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2003
365
0
40
Visit site
Status
I was just curious, the DMU thread about self-geniouses or whatever it was titled had the MOST views in the DO forum ever. It was viewed by like over 60,000+ people and had tons of responses as if every DO goes to DMU. What is the thing about DMU, I really was curious and did not want to go through the over any of the 3,000+ of replies...
 

PublicEnemy

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2004
788
1
38
Visit site
Status
MD2b20004 said:
I was just curious, the DMU thread about self-geniouses or whatever it was titled had the MOST views in the DO forum ever. It was viewed by like over 60,000+ people and had tons of responses as if every DO goes to DMU. What is the thing about DMU, I really was curious and did not want to go through the over any of the 3,000+ of replies...
its a class thread that was started more than 2 years ago. for some reason they never decided to move that thread to the class threads section. if you look at the class threads, they each have tons of views. in that section, threads that are less than a year have 20,000 views. if they are still used a couple years down the road, they'll have that many views and posts too.
 
OP
MD2b20004

MD2b20004

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2003
365
0
40
Visit site
Status
PublicEnemy said:
its a class thread that was started more than 2 years ago. for some reason they never decided to move that thread to the class threads section. if you look at the class threads, they each have tons of views. in that section, threads that are less than a year have 20,000 views. if they are still used a couple years down the road, they'll have that many views and posts too.
hmmm then why not just start a new DMU thread that way someone interested in the topics they are discussing wont have to go through 1000s of responses... Just a thought :confused:
 
About the Ads

USArmyDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2005
2,356
5
Status
Medical Student
I was lucky enough to have interviewed and been accepted to DMU and I will definitely vouch for it. The school is AWESOME....
 

scpod

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
3,241
124
Status
Attending Physician
MD2b20004 said:
What is the thing about DMU...
It's probably the sub-zero temperatures, 12 foot tall snow drifts, and months where nobody goes outside at all. There might be more to it, but those alone were enough to make me pick a warmer climate. Props to the guys/gals who can put up with it, though. :)
 

It'sElectric

10+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2005
1,502
6
Status
Attending Physician
scpod said:
It's probably the sub-zero temperatures, 12 foot tall snow drifts, and months where nobody goes outside at all. There might be more to it, but those alone were enough to make me pick a warmer climate. Props to the guys/gals who can put up with it, though. :)
Just a slight exaggeration there. Basically, if you've experienced midwest weather, then that's exactly what you'll get in Des Moines.
 

Huntr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2005
45
0
Waukee, IA
Status
Medical Student
Obviously I am biased, however, I interviewed at several DO and MD schools and by far DMU had the nicest facilities. The school is also well known and respected in the surrounding community. :)
 

jrf331

Back ROW
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2006
103
0
Texas
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The school rocks and has better facilities than most MD schools and every DO school. The admin and faculty are great with students. I am not from the midwest and the winters aren't that bad. But I guess if you like to sun bathe in December then they could be a problem.
 

WiscoDO

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2006
30
0
Chicago Burbs
Status
Medical Student
I was also lucky enough to be interviewed and accepted to DMU and I would have to say that their facilities are impressive and new, their staff was very open to us, and that the weather is not that bad. I am from Wisconsin, and when I was in Des Moines this January it was about 50 degrees on my interview day. One of the negatives I saw was that while Des Moines is fairly large, it's no larger than a college town metro area and didn't appeal to me since I like bigger cities.
 

Huntr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2005
45
0
Waukee, IA
Status
Medical Student
I know I posted above, however, we just started orientation this week and I have to say this school is phenomenal! I cannot believe how supportive the faculty, staff, deans and president are of the entire student body, they truly "roll out the red carpet" for you. For those future medical students applying in the years to come (both DO and MD) you will be doing yourself a great disservice if you don't at least apply here and see what they have to offer. I am truly proud to be where I am at. :thumbup:
 

scpod

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
3,241
124
Status
Attending Physician
WiscoDO said:
...and that the weather is not that bad. I am from Wisconsin, and when I was in Des Moines this January it was about 50 degrees on my interview day...
Apparently, you were there on an abherent day. According to Intellicast, the average high temperature in Des Moines in January is 27 degrees fahrenheit. The average low is 10.
 

Krazykritter

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2005
903
0
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You know everyone complains about the winters, but they aren't dull & drab like they are out West. Sun shines a lot in the winter...Nothing better than ice fishing on a beautiful 27 degree day with the sun shining & your beer chillin' in the snow next to a bucket full of fish.

Bring on the fall...then winter b/c I am getting sick of this hot, humid weather.
 

misparas

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2005
571
0
Ohio
Status
Huntr said:
I know I posted above, however, we just started orientation this week and I have to say this school is phenomenal! I cannot believe how supportive the faculty, staff, deans and president are of the entire student body, they truly "roll out the red carpet" for you. For those future medical students applying in the years to come (both DO and MD) you will be doing yourself a great disservice if you don't at least apply here and see what they have to offer. I am truly proud to be where I am at. :thumbup:
Agreed! I wasn't thinking that DMU would me my top choice until my interview day! Now that things are getting started, I'm feeling dang lucky to have landed here! The place is seriously sweet!
 

jbone

Herro!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2005
2,274
2
Some freakin corn field in Iowa
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Huntr said:
I know I posted above, however, we just started orientation this week and I have to say this school is phenomenal! I cannot believe how supportive the faculty, staff, deans and president are of the entire student body, they truly "roll out the red carpet" for you. For those future medical students applying in the years to come (both DO and MD) you will be doing yourself a great disservice if you don't at least apply here and see what they have to offer. I am truly proud to be where I am at. :thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbup:
PS-Huntr, your the freakin man!!
People should go to DMU just because your there. Hey, that's why I'm here! ;)
 

WiscoDO

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2006
30
0
Chicago Burbs
Status
Medical Student
scpod said:
Apparently, you were there on an abherent day. According to Intellicast, the average high temperature in Des Moines in January is 27 degrees fahrenheit. The average low is 10.
It was indeed an abnormal day- felt like summer to me since it was about 20 in wisconsin that week. I think the school was trying to sell it was like that alot in winter haha. Too bad i'm from the midwest and know better.
 

Huntr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2005
45
0
Waukee, IA
Status
Medical Student
jbone said:
:thumbup: :thumbup:
PS-Huntr, your the freakin man!!
People should go to DMU just because your there. Hey, that's why I'm here! ;)
No, JBone you're the man!....oh yah screw BYU. :laugh: :thumbup: just kidding misparas we still like ya.
 

Hardbody

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
743
2
Status
MD2b20004 said:
I was just curious, the DMU thread about self-geniouses or whatever it was titled had the MOST views in the DO forum ever. It was viewed by like over 60,000+ people and had tons of responses as if every DO goes to DMU. What is the thing about DMU, I really was curious and did not want to go through the over any of the 3,000+ of replies...
Their impressive match lists!!!!!
 

Dotsero

Member
10+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2005
131
1
Status
MD2b20004 said:
I was just curious, the DMU thread about self-geniouses or whatever it was titled had the MOST views in the DO forum ever. It was viewed by like over 60,000+ people and had tons of responses as if every DO goes to DMU. What is the thing about DMU, I really was curious and did not want to go through the over any of the 3,000+ of replies...
What makes DMU so Damn good....

Great faculty who make teaching a priority. They are good at teaching and make themselves accessible.

The students here are great people. They want to help the community and each other and by and large are not competetive "gunners" (makes for a very encouraging, supportive environment).

Facilities are by far one of the best in the country (definitely one of the newest). New classrooms, library, athletic center... the campus is wireless, availability of lecture MP3s and Powerpoints....

A wonderful community that values the school and its students (our president is a former Iowa govenor!). Lots of community respect and support from local clinicians.

For my money the best place on earth to get a medical education
 

bsimon

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2006
14
0
36
Status
Medical Student
^^^

ditto

granted we've only been through orientation, but so far everything is awesome! I couldn't have asked for a better school.
 

luckystar

pooped
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2002
2,288
0
Illinois
www.myspace.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm starting my last year at DMU and still feel like it's a great school. Yeah, I'm bitter about my loans, and I'm bitter about the new stuff being finished at the end of my second year so I really didn't get to enjoy it much, but I have absolutely no regrets. Like all other med schools, you have to be responsible for your own success, but DMU made it pleasant. Everybody's just so darn nice! I just hope they have enough new faculty lined up for all the retiring ones.
 
About the Ads