Just wondering, what is it with DMU that makes it so popular

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by MD2b20004, Jul 25, 2006.

1. MD2b20004

MD2b20004 Membership Revoked
    Removed

I was just curious, the DMU thread about self-geniouses or whatever it was titled had the MOST views in the DO forum ever. It was viewed by like over 60,000+ people and had tons of responses as if every DO goes to DMU. What is the thing about DMU, I really was curious and did not want to go through the over any of the 3,000+ of replies...

2. PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

its a class thread that was started more than 2 years ago. for some reason they never decided to move that thread to the class threads section. if you look at the class threads, they each have tons of views. in that section, threads that are less than a year have 20,000 views. if they are still used a couple years down the road, they'll have that many views and posts too.

3. MD2b20004

MD2b20004 Membership Revoked
    Removed

hmmm then why not just start a new DMU thread that way someone interested in the topics they are discussing wont have to go through 1000s of responses... Just a thought :confused:

4. Fermata

Fermata Hold me.
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    All the corn you can eat.

5. USArmyDoc

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was lucky enough to have interviewed and been accepted to DMU and I will definitely vouch for it. The school is AWESOME....

6. scpod

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's probably the sub-zero temperatures, 12 foot tall snow drifts, and months where nobody goes outside at all. There might be more to it, but those alone were enough to make me pick a warmer climate. Props to the guys/gals who can put up with it, though. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. It'sElectric

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just a slight exaggeration there. Basically, if you've experienced midwest weather, then that's exactly what you'll get in Des Moines.

8. Huntr

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Obviously I am biased, however, I interviewed at several DO and MD schools and by far DMU had the nicest facilities. The school is also well known and respected in the surrounding community. :)

9. jrf331

jrf331 Back ROW
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The school rocks and has better facilities than most MD schools and every DO school. The admin and faculty are great with students. I am not from the midwest and the winters aren't that bad. But I guess if you like to sun bathe in December then they could be a problem.

10. WiscoDO

WiscoDO Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was also lucky enough to be interviewed and accepted to DMU and I would have to say that their facilities are impressive and new, their staff was very open to us, and that the weather is not that bad. I am from Wisconsin, and when I was in Des Moines this January it was about 50 degrees on my interview day. One of the negatives I saw was that while Des Moines is fairly large, it's no larger than a college town metro area and didn't appeal to me since I like bigger cities.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Huntr

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I know I posted above, however, we just started orientation this week and I have to say this school is phenomenal! I cannot believe how supportive the faculty, staff, deans and president are of the entire student body, they truly "roll out the red carpet" for you. For those future medical students applying in the years to come (both DO and MD) you will be doing yourself a great disservice if you don't at least apply here and see what they have to offer. I am truly proud to be where I am at. :thumbup:

12. scpod

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Apparently, you were there on an abherent day. According to Intellicast, the average high temperature in Des Moines in January is 27 degrees fahrenheit. The average low is 10.

13. Krazykritter

Krazykritter Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You know everyone complains about the winters, but they aren't dull & drab like they are out West. Sun shines a lot in the winter...Nothing better than ice fishing on a beautiful 27 degree day with the sun shining & your beer chillin' in the snow next to a bucket full of fish.

Bring on the fall...then winter b/c I am getting sick of this hot, humid weather.

14. misparas

misparas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Agreed! I wasn't thinking that DMU would me my top choice until my interview day! Now that things are getting started, I'm feeling dang lucky to have landed here! The place is seriously sweet!

15. jbone

jbone Herro!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    :thumbup: :thumbup:
    PS-Huntr, your the freakin man!!
    People should go to DMU just because your there. Hey, that's why I'm here! ;)

16. WiscoDO

WiscoDO Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It was indeed an abnormal day- felt like summer to me since it was about 20 in wisconsin that week. I think the school was trying to sell it was like that alot in winter haha. Too bad i'm from the midwest and know better.

17. Huntr

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No, JBone you're the man!....oh yah screw BYU. :laugh: :thumbup: just kidding misparas we still like ya.

18. Hardbody

Hardbody Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Their impressive match lists!!!!!

19. Dotsero

Dotsero Member
    10+ Year Member

What makes DMU so Damn good....

Great faculty who make teaching a priority. They are good at teaching and make themselves accessible.

The students here are great people. They want to help the community and each other and by and large are not competetive "gunners" (makes for a very encouraging, supportive environment).

Facilities are by far one of the best in the country (definitely one of the newest). New classrooms, library, athletic center... the campus is wireless, availability of lecture MP3s and Powerpoints....

A wonderful community that values the school and its students (our president is a former Iowa govenor!). Lots of community respect and support from local clinicians.

For my money the best place on earth to get a medical education

20. bsimon

bsimon Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ^^^

ditto

granted we've only been through orientation, but so far everything is awesome! I couldn't have asked for a better school.

21. luckystar

luckystar pooped
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm starting my last year at DMU and still feel like it's a great school. Yeah, I'm bitter about my loans, and I'm bitter about the new stuff being finished at the end of my second year so I really didn't get to enjoy it much, but I have absolutely no regrets. Like all other med schools, you have to be responsible for your own success, but DMU made it pleasant. Everybody's just so darn nice! I just hope they have enough new faculty lined up for all the retiring ones.