Just wondering....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
G

GujjuNo1

Couple questions...

(1) Can I just ask for one year scholarship? ie ask them to pay my tuition in 3rd year and sign a contact accordingly? (may be 1 year of service + 1 year IRR).

(2) Is it possible to sign a contract where they will gurantee me a certain residency (assuming I get a certain USMLE score) or can I do residency outside of military and they serve for the years I received scholarship.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

GujjuNo1 said:
Couple questions...

(1) Can I just ask for one year scholarship? ie ask them to pay my tuition in 3rd year and sign a contact accordingly? (may be 1 year of service + 1 year IRR).

(2) Is it possible to sign a contract where they will gurantee me a certain residency (assuming I get a certain USMLE score) or can I do residency outside of military and they serve for the years I received scholarship.

Thanks

Pay back on HPSP (for the Army) is a minimum of 2 years. So, even if you take a one year scholarship (which I don't know if they offer), you'll still have to pay back 2 years.

As for signing a contract securing you for a specific residency, seriously doubt that they will do that. You'd definitely have to enter the Army match, just like the rest of us.

jephyboy said:
Pay back on HPSP (for the Army) is a minimum of 2 years. So, even if you take a one year scholarship (which I don't know if they offer), you'll still have to pay back 2 years.

As for signing a contract securing you for a specific residency, seriously doubt that they will do that. You'd definitely have to enter the Army match, just like the rest of us.

Thanks for the info.

In such a case...did anyone have difficulty getting into their residency if choice (esp. in those high demand residencies).

GujjuNo1 said:
Thanks for the info.

In such a case...did anyone have difficulty getting into their residency if choice (esp. in those high demand residencies).

Yes of course!

BTW, military residencies cause you to accrue additional committment time in the military. So even if you go into residency only owing 2 years, you'll probably finish residency with several more years to pay off afterward. Basically, taking a one years hpsp scholarship doesn't make much sense. You're much better off doing FAP at this point.