Quantcast

Just wondering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Docta Rod

Reaction score
What is the percentage of African Americans that go to medical school come from privileged(middle class) background? Also, what is the percentage that comes from a disadvantage background? In addition, does the data reflect more on those that are coming from privileged background ( middle class) ?

I would assume the more privileged the more resource which would increase the chance of acceptance.

* Just wondering*

turkeyjerky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't have any data (just anecdotal), but in my class it's 100%.

Of my black classmates, three fourths or so are African and the rest are privileged (you know--children of doctors or other professionals).

PinkIvy08

Lady Boss
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't have any data (just anecdotal), but in my class it's 100%.

Of my black classmates, three fourths or so are African and the rest are privileged (you know--children of doctors or other professionals).

lol. Of all the URMs I went to undergrad with that are applying or have applied to med school, 75-85% are African, and other than myself, the rest come from super wealthy families - I feel like an underrepresented URM haha. Yay for like the 5% of us "regular" Blacks standing strong!