just worried

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kingdog53

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, here it is:

I am about to separate from the military (13.5 years, 6 deployments, and now I am a bona fide disabled vet). I have been working on post-bacc work (my original bachelors is in Management... my master's degree is in business). My overall GPA is 3.2, but if you were to ignore the first 2 quarters (in 1995-96), my overall GPA would be 3.5. I parted ways with school and joined the USAF. Since then, mostly A's.

I started working on med school pre-reqs this past summer (4.0 in Bio 1&2, Chem 1&2, Orgo 1, Phys 1, Calc 1). I am currently in Orgo 2, Phys 2, and Calc 2 (and its looking good).

I took the MCAT in Jan, but I don't know the scores. I was scoring 23-29 on the Kaplan and AMC practice tests.

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Chances would be very good with a 26-27+ MCAT for DO schools. Gonna probably need 30+ for MD. You certainly have a compelling background. That will be to your benefit. Will your disability affect your career as a doc in any way? Thanks for your service and good luck, I think you will find success.

Firstly, thank you for your service to your country.
A rising grade trend always helps, and vets do get some better love from AdComs than the avg applicant.

I think you're going to need high 20s on the MCAT to complete the picture of a successful applicant. However, depending upon where you live, your state school might look upon you favorably.

Right now, the low tier schools will probably be your best bet.

So, here it is:

I am about to separate from the military (13.5 years, 6 deployments, and now I am a bona fide disabled vet). I have been working on post-bacc work (my original bachelors is in Management... my master's degree is in business). My overall GPA is 3.2, but if you were to ignore the first 2 quarters (in 1995-96), my overall GPA would be 3.5. I parted ways with school and joined the USAF. Since then, mostly A's.

I started working on med school pre-reqs this past summer (4.0 in Bio 1&2, Chem 1&2, Orgo 1, Phys 1, Calc 1). I am currently in Orgo 2, Phys 2, and Calc 2 (and its looking good).

I took the MCAT in Jan, but I don't know the scores. I was scoring 23-29 on the Kaplan and AMC practice tests.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have PTSD, but that disorder affects everyone differently. My case is on the milder side, and I have had success with my post-bacc courses, so I think I will be alright in med school. Thanks for your reply.
Kingsley

Firstly, thank you for your service to your country.
A rising grade trend always helps, and vets do get some better love from adComs than the avg applicant.

I think you're going to need high 20s on the MCAT to complete the picture of a successful aplicant. However, depending upon where you live, you state school might look upon you favorably.

Right now, the low tier shcools will probably be your best bet.
So... the state where I live... thats a tough one.
I am currently in Georgia, however, I am legally a FL resident... because I physically joined the military from FL. The truth is that I am from AL. Long story. Anyways, by the time summer roles around, I expect that finishing the 2nd part of physics and Orgo will help raise the MCAT scores a bit. That is, of course, if I haven't been accepted to one of the DO schools I applied to.
Thanks for your response!

I am currently in Georgia, however, I am legally a FL resident... because I physically joined the military from FL. The truth is that I am from AL. Long story. Anyways, by the time summer roles around, I expect that finishing the 2nd part of physics and Orgo will help raise the MCAT scores a bit. That is, of course, if I haven't been accepted to one of the DO schools I applied to.

Yes, thank you for serving our country.

So, is Florida your state of record for the next year or two? USA med school in Alabama does give residents of bordering states extra consideration and southern schools do like the military.

Much will depend on your MCAT score. If you want an MD school, then if you don't get at least a balanced 28, you may need to retake. If needed, would you have time to study more and retest in April or May?

Yes, thank you for serving our country.

So, is Florida your state of record for the next year or two? USA med school in Alabama does give residents of bordering states extra consideration and southern schools do like the military.

Much will depend on your MCAT score. If you want an MD school, then if you don't get at least a balanced 28, you may need to retake. If needed, would you have time to study more and retest in April or May?
Well, yeah, I am still in a Kaplan course lasting through April. I am certainly hoping that the last test came out in my favor, but who doesn't?
As far as state of record,... as soon as I separate I have 30 days to establish residency,... so FL isn't necessarily going to be my "home" any more. Especially in the current market, I am not sure I will be able to sell my house that fast. Which means that my residency will likely be in GA unless I get word that I was picked up for one of the DO schools for next fall. If that is the case then I will have to rent out this house and move the family to make sure we have residency elsewhere.

Well, yeah, I am still in a Kaplan course lasting through April. I am certainly hoping that the last test came out in my favor, but who doesn't?
As far as state of record,... as soon as I separate I have 30 days to establish residency,... so FL isn't necessarily going to be my "home" any more. Especially in the current market, I am not sure I will be able to sell my house that fast. Which means that my residency will likely be in GA unless I get word that I was picked up for one of the DO schools for next fall. If that is the case then I will have to rent out this house and move the family to make sure we have residency elsewhere.

Since you're still in the Kaplan course, hopefully your score will be closer to 30 in the end. When will you be taking the MCAT? I'm assuming that you're going to take it within a few weeks of Kaplan completion? That's often recommended.

Anyway...since you do have Alabama ties, if you get a decent MCAT score, do apply to USA (aka South). Apply EARLY!!!!

Yeah, I think you'll have some luck with the FL state schools, as well as GA, AL and even MS.

Talk to your doctors and therapists about your ability to handle the stress of medical school, as it can be a furnace. I've had a student who was an Afghanistan vet, and he saw his share of troubles, but was a stellar student. I wish I had a whole class of him (and his female peers).

Good luck!

Yeah, I think you'll have some luck with the FL state schools, as well as GA, AL and even MS.

Talk to your doctors and therapists about your ability to handle the stress of medical school, as it can be a furnace. I've had a student who was an Afghanistan vet, and he saw his share of troubles, but was a stellar student. I wish I had a whole class of him (and his female peers).

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, Goro. As a business major I have had to go back and take all the pre-reqs to apply. The first person I had to convince of my abilities to get through med school was me... So I took 16 credit hours over the summer (on leave from mil duty each school day). All A's in all 4 classes (Bio 1 and Chem 1 first half of summer, Bio 2 and Chem 2 second half). Over the fall, I only had enough leave to take 2 days/week. So I took only 15 credit hours and worked 24+ hours/week. All A's in Orgo 1, Calc 1, Physics 1 and English comp (I CLEP'ed English for my undergrad degree). This semester I don't have anymore leave so I am having to take classes during my "lunch hour" Monday thru Thurs and nights. So far all A's in Orgo 2, Physics 2 and Calc 2... all while working 40+ hrs/week. While I understand there is a little different scale to Doctorate level classes, I will be retired when in school... I hope that will give my little litmus test some validity. Opinions?

Thanks for the advice, Goro. As a business major I have had to go back and take all the pre-reqs to apply. The first person I had to convince of my abilities to get through med school was me... So I took 16 credit hours over the summer (on leave from mil duty each school day). All A's in all 4 classes (Bio 1 and Chem 1 first half of summer, Bio 2 and Chem 2 second half). Over the fall, I only had enough leave to take 2 days/week. So I took only 15 credit hours and worked 24+ hours/week. All A's in Orgo 1, Calc 1, Physics 1 and English comp (I CLEP'ed English for my undergrad degree). This semester I don't have anymore leave so I am having to take classes during my "lunch hour" Monday thru Thurs and nights. So far all A's in Orgo 2, Physics 2 and Calc 2... all while working 40+ hrs/week. While I understand there is a little different scale to Doctorate level classes, I will be retired when in school... I hope that will give my little litmus test some validity. Opinions?

Success in those condensed summer courses (maybe not as intense as med school but definitely intense) is a good sign. Be sure to do a lot of shadowing and try to get as much clinical exposure as you can, both for adcoms' sake and your own. Do your research and apply to state schools, but also apply to a broad range of DO schools. Too many applicants make the mistake of failing to apply to DO schools and end up as reapplicants.

Thank you for your service and good luck!

Just got the scores today- 26 (7-V, 11-P, 8-B)... DO schools? The MD school I am most interested in (local) is Mercer... thoughts?

Just got the scores today- 26 (7-V, 11-P, 8-B)... DO schools? The MD school I am most interested in (local) is Mercer... thoughts?

i don't think you will have any trouble getting DO schools. You may still get some love from southern MD schools (basically don't give up yet) but it's hardly in the bag. If you are absolutely set on MD I would suggest retaking that MCAT but if you don't have a problem with DO just apply early and broadly and you should have a great cycle.

Also thank you for your service. :thumbup: