Just wrote the OATs today!

Vudoodude

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wrote my OATs today. I've always perused these forums but never posted, so I thought I'd share my experiences.

First, about me: Graduated Health Science with poor grades, went to work at an ophthalmology clinic where my interest in the eyes began (also where I got my connections). After six years of work I went back to school, doing a 3 year general science degree in 2 years (transfer credits), and studied my ass off for OATs. I took first year chemistry, biology, biochemistry (online) and physics (kinematics, forces, etc, but not optics, harmonics, or circuits), but never took a math course for at least 6 years now. I am also taking organic chemistry, physics 2, and math this coming fall/winter, so I was taking the OATs BEFORE some of my classes (depending mainly on self-teaching myself during the summer). Mind you, my previous health science degree, I didn't take physics at all and only 1 math in first year, so physics and math were my WEAAAAAK spots followed by organic chemistry.

Main study resource: Mainly Kaplan OAT book, Mometrix practice questions, and Youtube resource videos. My physics (optics, harmonics, circuits), math, and organic chemistry was basically all self-taught. I was juggling summer courses to finish my degree faster while self-teaching myself the material, so as my exam date neared I was freaking out.

My OAT was on Aug. 31. 2017, I wrote my first Kaplan practice test on Aug. 29th (I didn't even realize I had these until I read the cover of my Kaplan book more clearly). My results?
AA 300, TS 290, (Bio 350, GC 300, OC 230, Phys 280, Reading 330, Math 290).
I was freaking out!! My first school choice is Waterloo (370 avg acceptance!!!).

I wrote the Kaplan practice test a second time on Aug. 30th. Results:
AA 340, TS 330, (Bio 320, GC 340, OC 330, Phys 310, Reading 390, Math 320).
So I'm like, what the hell? These marks are all over the place! It's a bit of a confidence booster that I did much better, but at the same time it's not reliable! It's fluctuating so much!

It was at this time that I searched Google, found these forums, read some posts and gained a little confidence from what you guys wrote. It gave me some confidence when you guys said the Kaplan test was harder, and when you gave tips on what should be studied. I did some last minute sniping, studied key content that I was weak in, but relaxed overall since the Kaplan test is supposedly harder...

Final result (Unofficial) Aug. 31st:
AA 350, TS 360, (Bio 350, GC 400, OC 330, Phys 340, Reading 330, Math 340).
It's not the 370 I need for Waterloo, but with my background in ophthalmology, my references, and my new school grades (which are a LOT better), I am hoping I can get in. I'll also be applying state-side.

I'm an old man compared to some of you young people who may be finishing off their first degree, so I thought studying and writing exams would be a lot harder for me. I was freaking out, but some of your stories on this forum helped me out, so I thought I'd post mine. Thank you, everyone here, I am so glad that there is a place like this, and I hope this helps other people as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just wrote my OATs today. I've always perused these forums but never posted, so I thought I'd share my experiences.

First, about me: Graduated Health Science with poor grades, went to work at an ophthalmology clinic where my interest in the eyes began (also where I got my connections). After six years of work I went back to school, doing a 3 year general science degree in 2 years (transfer credits), and studied my ass off for OATs. I took first year chemistry, biology, biochemistry (online) and physics (kinematics, forces, etc, but not optics, harmonics, or circuits), but never took a math course for at least 6 years now. I am also taking organic chemistry, physics 2, and math this coming fall/winter, so I was taking the OATs BEFORE some of my classes (depending mainly on self-teaching myself during the summer). Mind you, my previous health science degree, I didn't take physics at all and only 1 math in first year, so physics and math were my WEAAAAAK spots followed by organic chemistry.

Main study resource: Mainly Kaplan OAT book, Mometrix practice questions, and Youtube resource videos. My physics (optics, harmonics, circuits), math, and organic chemistry was basically all self-taught. I was juggling summer courses to finish my degree faster while self-teaching myself the material, so as my exam date neared I was freaking out.

My OAT was on Aug. 31. 2017, I wrote my first Kaplan practice test on Aug. 29th (I didn't even realize I had these until I read the cover of my Kaplan book more clearly). My results?
AA 300, TS 290, (Bio 350, GC 300, OC 230, Phys 280, Reading 330, Math 290).
I was freaking out!! My first school choice is Waterloo (370 avg acceptance!!!).

I wrote the Kaplan practice test a second time on Aug. 30th. Results:
AA 340, TS 330, (Bio 320, GC 340, OC 330, Phys 310, Reading 390, Math 320).
So I'm like, what the hell? These marks are all over the place! It's a bit of a confidence booster that I did much better, but at the same time it's not reliable! It's fluctuating so much!

It was at this time that I searched Google, found these forums, read some posts and gained a little confidence from what you guys wrote. It gave me some confidence when you guys said the Kaplan test was harder, and when you gave tips on what should be studied. I did some last minute sniping, studied key content that I was weak in, but relaxed overall since the Kaplan test is supposedly harder...

Final result (Unofficial) Aug. 31st:
AA 350, TS 360, (Bio 350, GC 400, OC 330, Phys 340, Reading 330, Math 340).
It's not the 370 I need for Waterloo, but with my background in ophthalmology, my references, and my new school grades (which are a LOT better), I am hoping I can get in. I'll also be applying state-side.

I'm an old man compared to some of you young people who may be finishing off their first degree, so I thought studying and writing exams would be a lot harder for me. I was freaking out, but some of your stories on this forum helped me out, so I thought I'd post mine. Thank you, everyone here, I am so glad that there is a place like this, and I hope this helps other people as well.
Did you get accept anywhere?