Vrach

7+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi guys!
So I'm a usa IMG. I got my bachelor's at a very competitive engineering school and my GPA wasn't that great (for my school it was enough to warrant a high honors). So partially because of that and partially because it was economically easier, I went abroad (not Caribbean school, I ended up studying in Europe).

I've passed all my usmle's (I have great scores), I have my ecfmg certificate, I've got USCE and LORS from us physicians, I'm a fresh graduate (graduated this June) and I have some research experience.

I'm applying to internal medicine.

My question is how do I explain my reasons for going abroad in a way, so it looks better yo program directors at interviews? I was thinking about talking about global health, because while I was abroad I did a lot of away rotations in hospitals in different countries, traveled for international conferences with my research, and of course did rotations in USA. but wouldn't they ask "why couldn't I do that while going to school in USA?"

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Jul 24, 2017
Status
Medical Student
you wanted to see the world, you had second thoughts about wanting to live in the US, you were interested in seeing how medicine is practiced in other countries, because it is economically easier (totally solid excuse).

I also studied abroad (argentina). i am not in the same boat as you, since i never really envisioned myself living in the US any longer (don't downvote me to hell, i am not insulting america god forbid) but also mainly because it is absurdly expensive .

Reactions: Mr Giggles

sb247

Doer of things
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Galt's Gulch
forums.studentdoctor.net
Hi guys!
So I'm a usa IMG. I got my bachelor's at a very competitive engineering school and my GPA wasn't that great (for my school it was enough to warrant a high honors). So partially because of that and partially because it was economically easier, I went abroad (not Caribbean school, I ended up studying in Europe).

I've passed all my usmle's (I have great scores), I have my ecfmg certificate, I've got USCE and LORS from us physicians, I'm a fresh graduate (graduated this June) and I have some research experience.

I'm applying to internal medicine.

My question is how do I explain my reasons for going abroad in a way, so it looks better yo program directors at interviews? I was thinking about talking about global health, because while I was abroad I did a lot of away rotations in hospitals in different countries, traveled for international conferences with my research, and of course did rotations in USA. but wouldn't they ask "why couldn't I do that while going to school in USA?"

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!
How many US acceptances did you have to med school?

Reactions: libertyyne

jonnythan

Some men play tennis, I erode the human soul
7+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Do you need to explain why you went abroad? I think everyone can safely assume the reason, and coming up with some BS about experiencing the world would just make them roll their eyes. I doubt if anyone is going to ask "why did you go to Ross instead of a US school?" or something.

OP
V

Vrach

7+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
How many US acceptances did you have to med school?
I had 2 interviews but I didn't attend them because by the time they came in, I had my mind set on studying abroad. So I turned them down.

Retrospectively, I'd say my time abroad and the system there was the best time of my life. But I have family in the USA and I always planned to come back and settle down in the USA.

OP
V

Vrach

7+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
you wanted to see the world, you had second thoughts about wanting to live in the US, you were interested in seeing how medicine is practiced in other countries, because it is economically easier (totally solid excuse).

I also studied abroad (argentina). i am not in the same boat as you, since i never really envisioned myself living in the US any longer (don't downvote me to hell, i am not insulting america god forbid) but also mainly because it is absurdly expensive .
Ok thanks for this! I've just been wavering about this. So are you doing residency in USA now?

sb247

Doer of things
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Galt's Gulch
forums.studentdoctor.net
I had 2 interviews but I didn't attend them because by the time they came in, I had my mind set on studying abroad. So I turned them down.

Retrospectively, I'd say my time abroad and the system there was the best time of my life. But I have family in the USA and I always planned to come back and settle down in the USA.
I'd be careful about implying it was a choice that you turned down. It wasn't. It happened and you should just defend your current qualifications

OP
V

Vrach

7+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I'd be careful about implying it was a choice that you turned down. It wasn't. It happened and you should just defend your current qualifications
So should I just not even mention that I had interviews I didn't attend?

OP
V

Vrach

7+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
You don't need to defend anything, it's just not accurate to imply you had the option to be in the US and turned it down
Ok that's fine, I wasn't going to imply that. But I am 99% sure that I will be asked why I decided to study in country A versus Usa. And to this I should just tell them I wasn't able to study in USA due to a lower GPA?

sb247

Doer of things
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Galt's Gulch
forums.studentdoctor.net
Ok that's fine, I wasn't going to imply that. But I am 99% sure that I will be asked why I decided to study in country A versus Usa. And to this I should just tell them I wasn't able to study in USA due to a lower GPA?
Yeah. I tried to go US but it wasn't working and I didn't want to give up on the dream

Reactions: Goro