Juvee Misdemeanor, Withheld Adjudication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nivens McTwisp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I swear I know there's a search function. I've read just about every post that came up but nothing really matched what's going on right now. Was hoping to get one of the advisor's opinions...

When I was fourteen I vandalized some neighbors property and was arrested and charged with Misdemeanor Criminal Mischief. I live in Florida, which was a pre-trial diversions program. My adjudication was withheld, meaning I never pleaded/was convicted of anything. I completed my program, was told my record was sealed at 18 and to forget it ever happened.

So fast forward 7 years. I was accepted to multiple medical schools in October, and hadn't given my past too much thought. I answered every question on the AMCAS/Secondary honestly; AMCAS states that Juvee records need not be disclosed, and the secondary at the school I am intending to matriculate at only asked about felony convictions. On a whim though, I ran a Criminal Records Search on myself last night after reading another thread on here, and lo and behold, a report of my arrest came up, and I swear my stomach imploded.

I spoke to my lawyer and he informed me this is a computer error, and that it should not appear (I wanted to punch him). He can make it disappear, but he's not sure how long that will take. Frankly, I'm not thrilled about keeping it hidden any longer. I feel like it makes something so small and insignificant seem like a really big deal. I'm thinking I will disclose it to the medical school if it shows on the CBC, and if it doesnt, on the self-disclosure form at orientation.

So... is my acceptance in danger, considering I haven't lied at all, wasn't convicted of anything, it was a misdemeanor, and I was fourteen?

And yes, I made a new screen-name to post this :D

Members don't see this ad.

I swear I know there's a search function. I've read just about every post that came up but nothing really matched what's going on right now. Was hoping to get one of the advisor's opinions...

When I was fourteen I vandalized some neighbors property and was arrested and charged with Misdemeanor Criminal Mischief. I live in Florida, which was a pre-trial diversions program. My adjudication was withheld, meaning I never pleaded/was convicted of anything. I completed my program, was told my record was sealed at 18 and to forget it ever happened.

So fast forward 7 years. I was accepted to multiple medical schools in October, and hadn't given my past too much thought. I answered every question on the AMCAS/Secondary honestly; AMCAS states that Juvee records need not be disclosed, and the secondary at the school I am intending to matriculate at only asked about felony convictions. On a whim though, I ran a Criminal Records Search on myself last night after reading another thread on here, and lo and behold, a report of my arrest came up, and I swear my stomach imploded.

I spoke to my lawyer and he informed me this is a computer error, and that it should not appear (I wanted to punch him). He can make it disappear, but he's not sure how long that will take. Frankly, I'm not thrilled about keeping it hidden any longer. I feel like it makes something so small and insignificant seem like a really big deal. I'm thinking I will disclose it to the medical school if it shows on the CBC, and if it doesnt, on the self-disclosure form at orientation.

So... is my acceptance in danger, considering I haven't lied at all, wasn't convicted of anything, it was a misdemeanor, and I was fourteen?

And yes, I made a new screen-name to post this :D

I don't think you should worry about it, especially if you answered everything on AMCAS honestly. However, if the med school asks you to specifically mention anything, I would disclose it.

I think anyone can see something like that that happened so long ago is not worth rescinding an acceptance over.

Last edited:
I think a lot of legal issues like this get absolved in about a month or two if people are working on it. But yeah, just tell the truth if asked. :thumbup: