Juvenile Record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hyper_74

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have an application question, Most apps have a spot to check if you have commited a felony, but some of my apps have a spot for saying if you have had a misdemenor. What happens if you had a misdemenor when you were 10 yrs old? Do I need to say that I got caught stealing a pack of baseball cards, or does it not matter since it is on my juvenile record? What do you guys think? If it's on my juv record, will they ever find out?

hyper

Members don't see this ad.

hyper_74,

I don't think anything shows up when they do a background check as long as 10 years has elapsed since the incident. Also, I don't think that they concern themselves with crimes committed as a minor.

So, I don't think that you should include an incident that happened when you were 10 years old.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Were you actually convicted for stealing a pack of baseball cards when you were ten? LOL! Do you live in Texas? :)

The big question was whether your record is adjudicated or not. In my state, such an incident would be sealed upon you turning 18. In any case, I dount a med school would care about you stealing a pack of baseball cards. I seriously dount it would hurt you if you mentioned it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Juvenile records are sealed -- don't worry about it.

I am not a lawyer (but I am sure in a few years I will wish I was ;) ), but...

As far as I know, it is correct that juvenile records are sealed.

Once you reached 18, it was a whole new ball game.

Forget about it and don't mention it because you are the only one that can drag that information out from your record.

-JmE-

You shouldn't go to medical school if you are a thief, that's all I gotta say about that.

;)

okay, someone's masquerading as me...didn't write that last post...

...Although I agree with the idea that med school is no place for criminals, being convicted for stealing when you're young & stupid shouldn't prevent you from becoming a doc. After all, we all do stupid things in our lives.

sincerely, the REAL

thanks for the replies guys, i will not put it down since they will never have a chance to find out about it.

hyper