SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Juvenile Record

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by hyper_74, Aug 26, 2002.

1. hyper_74

hyper_74 Member 7+ Year Member

Feb 22, 2002
    the corn state
    Hello everyone,
    I have an application question, Most apps have a spot to check if you have commited a felony, but some of my apps have a spot for saying if you have had a misdemenor. What happens if you had a misdemenor when you were 10 yrs old? Do I need to say that I got caught stealing a pack of baseball cards, or does it not matter since it is on my juvenile record? What do you guys think? If it's on my juv record, will they ever find out?

hyper

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. kiwi219

kiwi219 Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 18, 2002
    New York
    hyper_74,

I don't think anything shows up when they do a background check as long as 10 years has elapsed since the incident. Also, I don't think that they concern themselves with crimes committed as a minor.

So, I don't think that you should include an incident that happened when you were 10 years old.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

4. San_Juan_Sun

San_Juan_Sun Professor of Life 7+ Year Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Were you actually convicted for stealing a pack of baseball cards when you were ten? LOL! Do you live in Texas? :)

The big question was whether your record is adjudicated or not. In my state, such an incident would be sealed upon you turning 18. In any case, I dount a med school would care about you stealing a pack of baseball cards. I seriously dount it would hurt you if you mentioned it.

5. Forensic Chick

Forensic Chick 10+ Year Member

Jan 29, 2002
    California
    Juvenile records are sealed -- don't worry about it.

6. JmE

JmE Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 14, 2002
    OH
    I am not a lawyer (but I am sure in a few years I will wish I was ;) ), but...

As far as I know, it is correct that juvenile records are sealed.

Once you reached 18, it was a whole new ball game.

Forget about it and don't mention it because you are the only one that can drag that information out from your record.

-JmE-

7. David511

David511 Ponch's Illegitimate Son 10+ Year Member

Jan 26, 2000
    Houston
    You shouldn't go to medical school if you are a thief, that's all I gotta say about that.

;)

8. David511

David511 Ponch's Illegitimate Son 10+ Year Member

Jan 26, 2000
    Houston
    okay, someone's masquerading as me...didn't write that last post...

...Although I agree with the idea that med school is no place for criminals, being convicted for stealing when you're young & stupid shouldn't prevent you from becoming a doc. After all, we all do stupid things in our lives.

sincerely, the REAL

9. hyper_74

hyper_74 Member 7+ Year Member

Feb 22, 2002
    the corn state
    thanks for the replies guys, i will not put it down since they will never have a chance to find out about it.

hyper