Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Juvenile Record

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by hyper_74, Aug 26, 2002.

1. hyper_74

hyper_74 Member
    7+ Year Member

Hello everyone,
    I have an application question, Most apps have a spot to check if you have commited a felony, but some of my apps have a spot for saying if you have had a misdemenor. What happens if you had a misdemenor when you were 10 yrs old? Do I need to say that I got caught stealing a pack of baseball cards, or does it not matter since it is on my juvenile record? What do you guys think? If it's on my juv record, will they ever find out?

hyper

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kiwi219

kiwi219 Member
    10+ Year Member

hyper_74,

I don't think anything shows up when they do a background check as long as 10 years has elapsed since the incident. Also, I don't think that they concern themselves with crimes committed as a minor.

So, I don't think that you should include an incident that happened when you were 10 years old.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

4. San_Juan_Sun

San_Juan_Sun Professor of Life
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Were you actually convicted for stealing a pack of baseball cards when you were ten? LOL! Do you live in Texas? :)

The big question was whether your record is adjudicated or not. In my state, such an incident would be sealed upon you turning 18. In any case, I dount a med school would care about you stealing a pack of baseball cards. I seriously dount it would hurt you if you mentioned it.

5. Forensic Chick

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Juvenile records are sealed -- don't worry about it.

6. JmE

JmE Member
    7+ Year Member

I am not a lawyer (but I am sure in a few years I will wish I was ;) ), but...

As far as I know, it is correct that juvenile records are sealed.

Once you reached 18, it was a whole new ball game.

Forget about it and don't mention it because you are the only one that can drag that information out from your record.

-JmE-

7. David511

David511 Ponch's Illegitimate Son
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    You shouldn't go to medical school if you are a thief, that's all I gotta say about that.

;)

8. David511

David511 Ponch's Illegitimate Son
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    okay, someone's masquerading as me...didn't write that last post...

...Although I agree with the idea that med school is no place for criminals, being convicted for stealing when you're young & stupid shouldn't prevent you from becoming a doc. After all, we all do stupid things in our lives.

sincerely, the REAL

9. hyper_74

hyper_74 Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks for the replies guys, i will not put it down since they will never have a chance to find out about it.

hyper