Kaiser Permanente SF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeavingtheSouth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
h

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I really like Kaiser SF... a lot. I really want to rank it above other "more prestigious" programs. I really want to rank it above some "top 10" programs, actually, but it seems scary to do that..

They have a great supportive environment, the residents are soooo happy, treated humanely... The Kaiser system is really efficient. I think the 2 hours less they work/day is not because they are learning less.. they are spending 2 less hours fighting to get scans ordered, labs done, f/u written orders, etc. Efficiency = better learning and better life... and happier doctors. Plus, they actually get to park at the hospital instead of taking shuttles, taxis, etc. That saved timed is more time with my family.

And they -do- see complicated transplant patients, etc. And a wide variety of socioeconomic classes.

I understand the argument that fellowship match may be harder coming from Kaiser (even though they do surprisingly well, especially in cardiology), but if I want to do general IM, either as a hospitalist or outpatient primary care, is there any real disadvantage for doing residency at Kaiser? Other than people will wonder if something is wrong with me for not being able to match at a well-known university program? I'm ok with not having an academic career.

Last edited:
I really like Kaiser SF... a lot. I really want to rank it above other "more prestigious" programs. I really want to rank it above some "top 10" programs, actually, but it seems scary to do that..

They have a great supportive environment, the residents are soooo happy, treated humanely... The Kaiser system is really efficient. I think the 2 hours less they work/day is not because they are learning less.. they are spending 2 less hours fighting to get scans ordered, labs done, f/u written orders, etc. Efficiency = better learning and better life... and happier doctors. Plus, they actually get to park at the hospital instead of taking shuttles, taxis, etc. That saved timed is more time with my family.

And they -do- see complicated transplant patients, etc. And a wide variety of socioeconomic classes.

I understand the argument that fellowship match may be harder coming from Kaiser (even though they do surprisingly well, especially in cardiology), but if I want to do general IM, either as a hospitalist or outpatient primary care, is there any real disadvantage for doing residency at Kaiser? Other than people will wonder if something is wrong with me for not being able to match at a well-known university program? I'm ok with not having an academic career.

Nice! I really liked Kaiser SF also!! I really think if you want to be an outpatient primary care, or hospitalist, I don't think there is a disadvantage doing a residency there at all. I loved the PD as he was very honest and supportive. I don't think there is much fighting for ordering labs, calling, etc. in other programs that I have experienced. There might be a little scut work, but not much.

I am leaning towards a fellowship, so I am leaning towards an academic program. If I knew for sure I wanted to be a hospitalist, Kaiser SF would be much much higher on my list.

Anyone else have any thoughts?