Kaiser psychiatrist job experiences...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notlucid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been in touch with a recruiter who gave me information on job with Kaiser in northern California.He quoted a salary of 275k to see 12 patients a day. He wasn't able to explain to me why they are having trouble finding a psychiatrist. What is the downside of a job like this.

I can see that you have to work within the system, but that is true with VA, cmhc or any organisational job.
Any experience or advise would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard there's some requirement to answer patient emails during the day. Also heard some places require some hours be after 5 pm to improve access to patients just getting off work. I don't think you are employed by a nonprofit so student loan forgiveness is off the table through pslf.

I know the job you're talking about and know two folks who've gone that route.

Kaiser casts the recruitment net wide but tends to hire pretty quality people. They have the reputation in NorCal for being "pseudo-academic," with journal club, organized mentoring/teaching, etc. It's an attractive prospect for folks out of residency, since it resembles the academic model more than any private organization out there.

The current offer is $275K plus a $100K hiring bonus. My understanding with the $100K hiring bonus is that they give you the $100K after one year and the fine print indicates that you need to stay for 10 years. Any less and they deduct the pro-rated delta.

I don't know where your recruiter is getting the 12 patients a day thing. Ask the recruiter if he can put that in your contract (he will not). Kaiser works their psychiatrists HARD. You see a lot of patients in shorter visits than most private practices up this way, you have larger panels, and you are expected to answer email and phone calls more than most (though my understanding is that there is some, but not enough, protected time for this). Unless you are fellowship trained in something relevant (like addiction), you will be doing almost exclusively medication management visits. Kaiser does not employ psychiatrists for psychotherapy.

In exchange for all this, you get good salary and they can be flexible with schedules (you can negotiate a 4/10 schedule if they want you enough).

The short answer is that it's a job you do for the money. It's not chill or relaxed and you will work hard, but you are well-compensated and get great benefits for the work you do. Many of the newer Kaiser NorCal docs I know are well-trained. They also pull a lot of folks from academics.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you are employed by a nonprofit so student loan forgiveness is off the table through pslf.
So Kaiser is a 501c3, which would be PSLF-qualifying (yet another reason I reckon this program is going to start slamming shut not long after it starts making payouts to folks earning $300K/year).

But many Kaiser locales have separate for-profit companies that the physician's work for. My recommendation would be to ask to speak to current physicians at the Kaiser you're getting an offer from and ask if they were able to get qualifications for PSLF.

So Kaiser is a 501c3, which would be PSLF-qualifying (yet another reason I reckon this program is going to start slamming shut not long after it starts making payouts to folks earning $300K/year).

But many Kaiser locales have separate for-profit companies that the physician's work for. My recommendation would be to ask to speak to current physicians at the Kaiser you're getting an offer from and ask if they were able to get qualifications for PSLF.
I agree that PSLF will stop paying out if people start really drawing money from the program, but it's hard to avoid putting a significant dent in your loans while making IBR payments, the exception being fellowship-training academic surgeons (who may be PGY-10 come time to cash in) and the true low-earning specialties.

I agree that PSLF will stop paying out if people start really drawing money from the program, but it's hard to avoid putting a significant dent in your loans while making IBR payments, the exception being fellowship-training academic surgeons (who may be PGY-10 come time to cash in) and the true low-earning specialties.
For PSLF, IBR is only one of the potential pay-back schemes. Everyone talks about it because it is the one that is least expensive to pay during residency/fellowship.

But post-training, you would not pay IBR. Assuming high paying specialty (say $350,000) and loan burden of $300K at 6.8%, your payment would be as high as $3400/month on standard payment plan (which is PSLF-qualifying), which would come to $204K after five years (assuming you put away IBR payments during a 5 year residency/fellowship). Given interest over the course of 10 years, you would be writing off a couple hundred thousand (rough estimate). This isn't insignificant.

My hunch is the they'll cap the write-off to $100K or some such. That would help the majority of the folks they were hoping to help (teachers, social worker, etc.).

The psychiatrist at Kaiser whom I saw once a week as part of my residency training told me she is strongly thinking about leaving, as well as others in her group. She says Kaiser is overworking them and each year it seems it gets worse. The frequency was very high, 3 or so an hour, certainly above 12 a day, maybe double that. (That headhunter is probably pulling a fast one on you to land the deal and get paid.) She doesn't have any say regarding scheduling patients, and when one cancels the secretary fills it in with another patient. She's one of the best psychiatrists I've met so her saying this threw me.

Other locations may be different, but I don't think by much. I would hate to live like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
So it's 20 minute followup visits then? How long for intakes?

Also do you have a sense of what the support system is like? For instance, are there easy in-house psychotherapy referrals or do the psychiatrists waste a lot of their time making referrals? What about social work support, or administrative support (like screening your calls or consolidating refill requests into a task list in the EMR)?

The consensus in this thread so far seems to be that it is a burnout-prone position, is that mostly about volume?

Reactions: 1 user
Oh God, can we not make this another PSFL will not be there in 10 years thread? It's just like the "social security won't be here when you retire in 2030." I'm not saying I know what is gonna happen, but it's old, lol.

Back to the topic: three+ patients an hour is just too much for me. I totally agree some control over your schedule and screening of calls is super important. A newly hired kid in our business office keeps transferring patient calls straight to me this week. I keep telling him we have a triage nurse. Aaagh!

Last edited:
So it's 20 minute followup visits then? How long for intakes?

Also do you have a sense of what the support system is like? For instance, are there easy in-house psychotherapy referrals or do the psychiatrists waste a lot of their time making referrals? What about social work support, or administrative support (like screening your calls or consolidating refill requests into a task list in the EMR)?

The consensus in this thread so far seems to be that it is a burnout-prone position, is that mostly about volume?

At the location I was going to, they had a calendar of classes that psychiatrists could refer their patients to, everything from mindfulness to stress management. Group classes for the patients. I don't even think a psychiatrist had to refer, just hand the monthly class list to the patient and encourage them to attend. They also had psychologists on site, so I imagine they could refer to them as well for more serious cases. But no, therapy was not allowed. Psychiatrists are there for the med management was my impression.

One of my classmates wants to work for Kaiser. I asked him why and he said because he's terrible at business and doesn't want the burden of paperwork and setting up a practice. He want's everything ready for him with a check.

The salary is high and the benefits are good for a reason.
  • A number of Kaiser patients have committed suicide in the last few years allegedly because of the long wait times for appointments.
  • Regarding the clinical staff [from sfgate]:
Kaiser mental health workers set to strike Nov. 16
By Kevin Schultz Published 4:32 pm, Thursday, November 5, 2015

Nearly 1,400 Kaiser mental health workers in Northern California will walk off their jobs Nov. 16 to protest what union officials say are too few mental health care employees to meet patient demand. The workers — psychologists, social workers and therapists — criticize Kaiser’s management, which they say understaffs mental health services,
leaving patients waiting far too long for appointments. They also accuse Kaiser of retaliating against them for standing up for their patients, by
terminating employment or withholding compensation...​
  • 2 years ago the sign on bonus was 250k. They may still offer a 0% mortgage.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
20 patients a day seems to be the norm. It is fair to be asked to earn your salary and benefits. But the salary plus benefits seems to be better than most jobs in Midwest. I am tempted by the 4 day work week. But at the same time work environment is the most important thing imho.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly even the large golden-cage style bonus is a bit concerning to me. It's like they know you will burn out and want to hold the $100-250k (probably spent on a house downpayment or similar) over your head for years so that it's hard to quit. I get putting a limit like, say, full repayment if you don't stay a year but extending that out to prorated repayment for a decade is a little much.

Thanks all for the insights, I'm interested in any other observations (I'm not from the West Coast but have thought about looking into Kaiser).

Thank you for all the responses. I think the no. for loan repayment was 150k- 200k, forgiven over 7 years. I am curious though what is the pay for other specialties in the same area because this salary is comparable to salaries in rural Midwest. So 20 patients a day, will lead to 75th percentile salary but without the location and benefits like kaiser. Now if the number is higher than 2o patients a day, then it will probably not be that attractive an option.

The salary is high and the benefits are good for a reason.
  • A number of Kaiser patients have committed suicide in the last few years allegedly because of the long wait times for appointments.
  • Regarding the clinical staff [from sfgate]:
Kaiser mental health workers set to strike Nov. 16
By Kevin Schultz Published 4:32 pm, Thursday, November 5, 2015

Nearly 1,400 Kaiser mental health workers in Northern California will walk off their jobs Nov. 16 to protest what union officials say are too few mental health care employees to meet patient demand. The workers — psychologists, social workers and therapists — criticize Kaiser’s management, which they say understaffs mental health services,
leaving patients waiting far too long for appointments. They also accuse Kaiser of retaliating against them for standing up for their patients, by
terminating employment or withholding compensation...​
  • 2 years ago the sign on bonus was 250k. They may still offer a 0% mortgage.
It is like the VA! I'm joking...a little.

"I owe my soul to the company store" 16 tons and what do you get....:whistle:

Reactions: 2 users
One perspective to look at salary and bonus structure is to have realistic expectations imho. Now to have job security, great retirement and benefits, good salary in good location there has to be a trade off. What is the trade off is the important question, is it location, huge panel size without resources, high stress work environment etc.
I too am interested in hearing what is the trade off/ catch in the northern California Kaiser job market.Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T700 using SDN mobile app

All Kaiser clinical physicians are employed (and partners if you eventually elect the shareholder track) through the Permanente Medical Group corporation in their region, which are for-profit entities. The medical groups are divided by regions (Northwest, Southern California, Northern California, Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Mid-Atlantic). For example, in N. California, the name is "The Permanente Medical Group, Inc." (TPMG). If you work in S. California, it's "Southern California Permanente Medical Group, Inc." (SCPMG). If you take a job as any physician with Kaiser, you will not qualify for PSLF. You can look at the Secretary of State filings for the corporation you would be working for based on the geography to see more details, but they are all for-profit. Something to take into consideration.

Reactions: 1 users
I couldn't get past the quote saying that the women wasn't adequately treated or she wouldn't have killed herself. People never say that when someone dies of cancer.

Plus waiting weeks to see a therapist? Does anyone work where it doesn't take more on the order of months?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If she were a decreased cancer patient there would be no uproar.
I couldn't get past the quote saying that the women wasn't adequately treated or she wouldn't have killed herself. People never say that when someone dies of cancer.

Plus waiting weeks to see a therapist? Does anyone work where it doesn't take more on the order of months?

Agreed. There is this persistent thought that if only more treatment was available suicide could be stopped. Ultimately the only way to get close to preventing suicide is perpetual hospitalization or 1:1 sitter 24 hours a day outside the hospital. Neither of which are economically realistic.

Randomly prescribing various SSRIs and benzodiazepines is my experience of psychiatry and what this woman's was as well.

Who prescribes Xanax and Ativan for depression? Psychiatrists do. I'd like to see where the evidence is that this was at all effective treatment in reducing suicidality or having any effect on depression.

If a doctor was clearly incompetent in treating a patient with cancer I would hope public officials would call out that doctor as well.

If she were a decreased cancer patient there would be no uproar.

Agreed. There is this persistent thought that if only more treatment was available suicide could be stopped. Ultimately the only way to get close to preventing suicide is perpetual hospitalization or 1:1 sitter 24 hours a day outside the hospital. Neither of which are economically realistic.
Ativan and Xanax are economically feasible but are still reckless prescriptions for depression.

Ativan and Xanax are economically feasible but are still reckless prescriptions for depression.
This is all speculation, but anxiety often accompanies depression which is probably why benzos were prescribed. Admittedly we don't really know what happened in this case. We don't even know the specific diagnosis.

No, it's true we don't know everything, but the person who made the comment that she was inadequately treated is a County Supervisor who would have more direct knowledge of any systemic failings, which it sounds like there are a number of. I read the entire article, and it sounds like counseling is not available to some, except group counseling even when it's not appropriate. The last line in the article is haunting (from her suicide note): "Her final words: "I couldn't stand the pain.""

Kaiser's defense is that she was seen frequently. If she was hopeless, desperate, and in terrible pain over a period of time as described, the defense that she was seen frequently is a terrible one. It means the practitioners should have had reason to believe her symptoms weren't being controlled.

Comparing with a cancer patient, I think you don't even have to make an analogical comparison to someone dying of cancer. You can make a pain comparison. If a cancer patient is in unbearable pain, it's expected that palliative care will be available to the greatest extent possible. If someone left a cancer patient in so much pain that they chose suicide, would we not complain then? Maybe, maybe not. I think the family certainly would. If we use the model that depression is a disease and that one symptom of it is this psychic pain that becomes unbearable, it doesn't seem unreasonable to question why there weren't greater attempts made in this case to attenuate the severity of the pain. SSRIs are first-line. Benzos are no-line, as far as I know. There are countless options beyond those that it doesn't sound like were attempted.

EDIT: Sorry if I sound more adversarial than usual. I got a bit of a second-hand debater's high after just finishing watching the DNC debate, which was much more of a real debate than usual.

That kaiser article is kind of interesting from a philosophical standpoint because having a healthcare model like that mixes the issues of access to care and payment together, leading to people feeling more emotional about everything. I dont think people get too passionate over the fact that X-corporate health plan only pays for Y number of psychotherapy visits a year. We may wish it covered more, but there is an understanding if you want more services past what the plan pays for then you can pay yourself.

Similarly on the issue of wait times. Im guessing most folks around where I live would have to wait a couple months to see a psychiatrist covered by their insurance plan, but nobody (to my knowledge) is out suing them for denying access to psychiatrists.

it's difficult to know what really happened because grieving families have a distorted perspective on things for obvious reasons. sometimes they just flat out make stuff up. I was involved in case where I saw a patient who came in with abdominal pain and diahrrea and diagnosed him with gastroenteritis (though for some bizarre reason he ended up being admitted). less than 24 hours later he died with autopsy revealing massive hemopericardium secondary to ruptured aortic dissection. patient died on his daughter's birthday. pt's wife was clinical director of the one the leading hospitals and filed a suit claiming that he presented with back pain and dizziness. he did not present with back pain or dizziness but essentially were trying to have a more convincing case that we were negligent.

though in this case we know that Kaiser has a reputation for cutting corners for mental health and has been under a lot of scrutiny. I posted this article not to highlight this as an example of bad care (it may be if family is to be believed) but to highlight that one problem of working there is because the system has come under attack, suicide (which is sadly an occupational hazard as a psychiatrist, and in some cases inevitable), may lead to finger pointing and puts inordinate amount of stress on psychiatrists working there who may find themselves subject to litigation, malpractice and negligence suits, and scapegoating. The cancer vs suicide is a ridiculous comparison but for the fact that psychiatrists are almost always held to blame for their patient's suicide (and juries are particularly liable to hold psychiatrists to account if the patient overdosed on drugs the psychiatrist prescribed) even htough we have no special ability to predict suicide, most of our interventions (only caring letters, brief intervention,lithium, and clozapine in schizophrenia have been showen to reduce risk) have no effect whatsoever on the suicide risk (and in the case of anttidepressants and hospitalization may actually INCREASE the risk), and sometimes it is the inevitable end-point. The preventability of suicide has almost everything to do with means prevention and almost nothing to do with psychiatry.

I dont think people get too passionate over the fact that X-corporate health plan only pays for Y number of psychotherapy visits a year. We may wish it covered more, but there is an understanding if you want more services past what the plan pays for then you can pay yourself.
This is no longer allowed under the ACA (though many insurances still do this kind of bs). People don't get up in arms about it because not enough people care about mental health, and our patients are often too impaired, stigmatized, or self-absorbed to advocate for their interests. We SHOULD be getting riled up about this. For all the failings of the APA they have been quite good at taking insurance companies to task for these sorts of practices and we should all be makng a note of every instance where someone's visits are capped in this way. if it's medically necessary they should cover it. of course medically necessary is somewhat nebulous

This is no longer allowed under the ACA (though many insurances still do this kind of bs). People don't get up in arms about it because not enough people care about mental health, and our patients are often too impaired, stigmatized, or self-absorbed to advocate for their interests. We SHOULD be getting riled up about this. For all the failings of the APA they have been quite good at taking insurance companies to task for these sorts of practices and we should all be makng a note of every instance where someone's visits are capped in this way. if it's medically necessary they should cover it. of course medically necessary is somewhat nebulous

I definitely agree with you, was just pointing out when the payer and provider are separate its a little harder for people to know who to be upset with. And to be honest im not really massively uptodate with how insurance companies have changed recently seeing as most my patients are uninsured or insured by government.

Edit- also hilarious that i now instinctively type "up to date" as one word

Quotes like this one (from the article splik posted) make me queasy:

"This woman obviously didn't get adequately treated, or she wouldn't have killed herself." - Shirlee Zane, Sonoma County Supervisor

This is an unfortunately common belief which is outrageously toxic, the idea that the fact that a patient killed themself is proof of malpractice. Imagine what you would have to do to literally ensure that none of your patients ever completed suicide (I'm thinking four point restraint with constant obs for life might do it, though some clever patients would probably find a way out of that too). It shows real ignorance of psychiatric practice to claim "suicide = bad care."

Reactions: 2 users
I too am interested in hearing what is the trade off/ catch in the northern California Kaiser job market.Thanks.
One thing to keep in mind is that folks tend to use "Northern California" and "Bay Area" synonymously and they are really two entirely different entities. Since this job under discussion is actually about the Bay Area:

Academics: UCSF and CPMC are the only games in town. Stanford and San Mateo as well, depending on your definitions of Bay Area. Typical academic lifestyle of over 40 hour weeks, 3/4 have "clinician educator" tracks where your duties are a combination of teaching and direct patient care. There are also tracks where you only provide direct services without involvement with the residents/medical students (in the case of Stanford and UCSF). Pay is poor, an actually less than many academic salaries I've heard in other locales (some of these gigs start at $150K/year), but it's offset by the ability to have a faculty practice in your office or a shared schedule office (though the university takes a cut). All are hiring, but it's dependent on what you want to do. Hiring is obviously competitive, but less so for the ones that are not academic-focused. Flexibility is key.

County: Varies a lot by county, but there are currently a lot of jobs. Pay isn't bad. SF and San Mateo are both starting at about $220K/year. These are county environments, we all know it, and some folks hate it and some folks love it. California county gigs tend to pay into CalPERS so one of the big benefits is a pension system that pays out pretty lucratively and is seen as one of the big strengths of these jobs (you don't have to hit 20 years to collect, the cliff is 5 years at the ones I interviewed with). Mental health budgets are tighter in NorCal as compared to LA and some other SoCal counties, which is counterintuitive to many of us. Lots of opportunities for jobs, particularly the further you get from SF.

VA: There are the main VA's in Palo Alto and San Francisco, both with tight affiliations with their medical schools/residency programs (Stanford and UCSF, respectively). This strong academic affiliation makes the care at these locations fairly high quality and as many-to-most of the physicians at these VAs are full-time academic appointments, your colleagues tend to be very academic minded and high quality. Patients tend to appreciate the care at these spots and staffing is... federal. Jobs are hard to come by at these two medical centers and competition tends to be pretty tight. Starting pay was very recently increased for new hires and now stands at about $200K/year. Good benefits, though the pension benefit was scaled back. Culturally the hours are pretty strictly regulated, which is helpful (e.g.: people tend to work 40 hour weeks, even with academic track). Outside of these two major medical centers, there are CBOCs, which are clinics and smaller regional locations spread around the Bay Area. At many of these places, there is no academic affiliation. Quality of physicians is extremely varied and quality of care is the same. Morale among patients tends to be lower. Jobs are much easier to come by.

Private Practice: A wide variety of gigs. If you are in SF or the Silicon Valley area, setting up your own shop immediately after residency is very possible and if you carefully select a couple of insurances, your practice will fill quickly. Folks have also done this with cash only practices, but this takes a while to fill. Folks I know how have done this tend to be UCSF grads in SF and I presume Stanford grads in the valley. Word of mouth is extremely important and many practicing docs will refer cash-only patients to previous grads from the home residency, as there is a measure of quality control there. For joining an established practice, the gigs vary widely and so do the quality. There are a couple that are always hiring that are known locally to be toxic, but folks coming from outside wouldn't. There are a couple that no one would have heard of that are choice places to work, but again, folks coming from outside wouldn't (this is another reason why location of residency is so helpful). In SF, there are several that will let you practice psychotherapy. I know of one currently interviewing that pays $275K and your panel is a mix of psychotherapy and medication management. This particular gig is made up of 75% UCSF grads though there are a few hires from east coast programs known to have good psychotherapy chops. Finding a private practice gig in the Bay Area is not hard, though the experience will vary widely (which I assume to be the case most places).

For actual Northern California (north of the Bay Area): There are no true academic gigs. County gigs are the same as described above, though they are desperate for doctors and jobs are extremely plentiful (though with that desperation, I question what the work/life balance and quality of care might be at some of these gigs). VA gigs are all CBOC and jobs are more plentiful. The VA used to have a salary differential in which they were paying them MUCH more money for the remote areas that couldn't staff psychiatrists, though I don't know if that's still true. There is a dearth of private practices in NorCal and I've heard it's no problem setting up shop, particularly if you take MediCal (our Medicaid). Cash-only practices are likely not going to be feasible, at least not full-time, as most areas in Northern California are pretty economically depressed. There is also a shortage of psychiatrists, so the work is there.

Reactions: 10 users
And don't forget about the "Bastille by the Bay" and the Hotel California North.

And don't forget about the "Bastille by the Bay" and the Hotel California North.
Ah yes, San Quentin...

CDCR in NorCal pays well ($$240k/year with roughly $15k/year increases the first five years but then rapidly tapers off). Also some of the best pension benefits you'll find, with a five year cliff. 4/10s available and encouraged. Outside of San Quentin, you will find its not too competitive, But for most locations, you are either in the middle of nowhere (as in, single digit number of psychiatrists for areas the size of Vermont) of 1 hour from livable but somewhat expensive areas (Sacramento being an exception).

San Quentin is its own animal. There are some CDCR lifers there, but psychiatry is run by an excellent forensic psychiatrist and most recent hires are forensic-trained and competition is tight. You will find a lot of competition for the exceedingly rare job openings there is going to be high and likely skewed to forensic trained. There are also jobs at San Quentin that is pure telepsych in which you are physically at SQSP but assigned to a remote prison. Same pay and benefits and much easier to get hired.

I'm biased positively for San Quentin. I've worked there a bit and find it a great example of correctional psychiatry, but it's still very much correctional psychiatry. You have to love it or you'll hate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the detailed reply, notdeadyet. Do you know what are the usual no of patients seen per day in Kaiser or the private practices.30 minute per patient would be ideal, 20 minute is maybe doable for me.

Nope. I would discuss that specifically with the recruiter, and get them to input their answer into your contract.

All that I know is that Kaiser is known for having about the most hectic appointment schedule I have heard of for an outpatient practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I closed up my PP, I took a gig with Kaiser and I love it. I work 4x10s and I don't feel like I'm overworked. Salary is very competitive compared to what others are offering, benefits are fantastic (you don't pay for very much at all and the retirement packages are amazing).

Yes the $150k sign on bonus requires you to stay for 7 years but a portion of it is forgiven on a yearly basis which accelerates towards the end. They have a number of other benefits like a moving allowance or 1st home purchase loan as mentioned above (I wasn't eligible for this).

A full time position with Kaiser works 10 units and for each unit you're expected to have 6 appointment slots. I have 45 min to 1 hour for new patients (depending on if they've first been evaluated by a therapist or are coming in directly) and often have interspersed 15 minute telephone visits. My in person follow ups are 30 minutes.

We take call by telephone 1x per month and in person at a hub hospital from 9-5 Sa+Sun one weekend every 3 months which adds to your vacation time.

I have far more vacation, time with my family and general peace at this time than I've ever had before. Do I make less than I was making before? Sure but the trade offs for me are well worth it given outside business ventures and time with the family.

Reactions: 4 users
I forgot to address 2 other points as above:
- Someone had mentioned why Kaiser is hiring as many psychiatrists as they are now and there are 2 reasons: One, KFHP is growing like crazy thanks to the Affordable Care Act and two they are working to improve member access, etc.
- Along those lines, Northern CA Kaiser is different from Southern CA Kaiser and are considered 2 distinct different groups.

Thanks mgdsh.
What are the panel size of patients and is there continuity of care to see patients over time. Or is it more of an integrated care model where you consult and refer back.
Does that mean 60 units per week, so that might be where the recruiter is coming up with 10 patients per day. That recruiter hasn't gotten back to me.
Is the salary same in all locations or is 150 k bonus only in difficult to recruit positions.

Last edited:
Thanks mgdsh.
What are the panel size of patients and is there continuity of care to see patients over time. Or is it more of an integrated care model where you consult and refer back.
Does that mean 60 units per week, so that might be where the recruiter is coming up with 10 patients per day. That recruiter hasn't gotten back to me.
Is the salary same in all locations or is 150 k bonus only in difficult to recruit positions.

I think panel sizes are around 800 if I recall. The majority of your patients will fall into the continuity of care category but there will be those that you can refer back to the PCP if they're stable and don't have a diagnosis like Bipolar or Schizophrenia.

A full time physician at Kaiser will work 10 units per week. 1 Unit is considered 4 hours. For each unit you're expected to see 6 patients. A full time 8x5 doctor will have 12 patients per day and a full time 4x10 will have 15 patients per day. With in parameters you can design your own schedule.

I think the sign on bonus is the same everywhere.

When I closed up my PP, I took a gig with Kaiser and I love it.
I have far more vacation, time with my family and general peace at this time than I've ever had before. Do I make less than I was making before? Sure but the trade offs for me are well worth it given outside business ventures and time with the family.

This is super interesting to hear! I recall from earlier threads that you were a solo PP psychiatrist with a thriving cash practice. I think many see building such a practice, where you set your hours, followup lengths, frequency of visits, etc etc and collect a high hourly cash rate to be the ideal (setting aside concerns about access for patients who can't afford it). It seems that your experience has been that taking a job as an employee of a large organization has been the better lifestyle choice, other than making less than you did with the cash practice.

Could you expand more on the benefits of one v the other path for those of us (like myself) debating whether to go solo and cash-based, join a small group, or just go ahead and take a job with a large organization? For me income beyond low 200s does not hold a lot of sway, I would vastly prefer a job I love paying $200k/year to one I dislike paying $450k.

This is super interesting to hear! I recall from earlier threads that you were a solo PP psychiatrist with a thriving cash practice. I think many see building such a practice, where you set your hours, followup lengths, frequency of visits, etc etc and collect a high hourly cash rate to be the ideal (setting aside concerns about access for patients who can't afford it). It seems that your experience has been that taking a job as an employee of a large organization has been the better lifestyle choice, other than making less than you did with the cash practice.

Could you expand more on the benefits of one v the other path for those of us (like myself) debating whether to go solo and cash-based, join a small group, or just go ahead and take a job with a large organization? For me income beyond low 200s does not hold a lot of sway, I would vastly prefer a job I love paying $200k/year to one I dislike paying $450k.

For me, once we started our family that's when I started to consider a number of lifestyle related factors, especially over the longer term.

The Kaiser benefit package is amazing (Healthcare that you have $5 co-pays for on medications and just about everything else is covered w/o charge, a triple retirement package (pension, employer contributed and self funded 401k), vacation/educational/sick leave) amongst many other benefits.

I think once you add all that up and realize that as a self-employed solo practice all you can set away for retirement every year is the SEP-IRA cap of 52-53k (as it has been in recent years) plus having to pay for health insurance out of pocket and cover other overheads like rent, malpractice, etc... that gap between the incomes shrinks dramatically.

For me, I also don't view a SEP-IRA alone as a long term retirement solution. My paternal grandparents lived into their late 80s and early 90s. I don't plan on working until 65 and lets face it something like a SEP-IRA can run out where as a pension doesn't.

I'm glad I went the route that I did. Many people take jobs out of residency only to wish they had started a private practice. For me knowing what that other side is like makes me much more at peace with having taken a job. It also doesn't hurt that we were able to save up a good amount of $$ while sacrificing things like vacation.

With in my first 9 months at Kaiser, I'll have gone on more vacation than I will have in the prior 3+ years before that.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm guessing (correct me if I'm wrong) that in your cash practice you did more psychotherapy than you do at Kaiser. Has giving that up been a challenge?

I'm guessing (correct me if I'm wrong) that in your cash practice you did more psychotherapy than you do at Kaiser. Has giving that up been a challenge?

Being able to do individual therapy with patients was a blessing, from which I learned a fair amount both professionally and personally. While I'm not in the position to do therapy with patients in the current gig, you can integrate elements in just about any setting.

There's no such thing as a perfect employment opportunity just as there's no perfect place to live :)

Is part-time or per diem still available at KP?

Is part-time or per diem still available at KP?

I'm not sure. I know you can ask for a reduced schedule of less than 40 hours a week, I'm not sure how low they'd allow you to go. Is 20 possible? I don't know.

The Kaiser Kool Aid has some draw backs.

They have a very good facade.
The number of patients is low.
Great salary.
Great bonus.

You really have to kick the tires.
You will be working hard.
For example, its not the patients you see that kill you, it's the ones you don't see. It's the phone calls and the emails.
Also, each Kaiser is very different. Some are awesome because the leadership is great. That same Kaiser can become terrible when some head or chief retires.
The 100k bonus, it's the very example of golden handcuffs. It's technically a loan. You want to leave, you pay interest.

12 patients a day, yet many psychiatrists (and all physicians in general really) work during lunch and after hours.
I see 20 patients per day in private practice and almost never leave late. I also always enjoy a good lunch and walk.