Kaiser salary - Northern California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sixshooter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the kaiser topic has been visited on previous threads. I'm looking at jobs in the greater sacramento area and I'm curious if anyone can comment on what kaiser pays for starting salary, as well as after a few years of practice? I've visited the previous threads and feel like I have an idea of some of the pros and cons of working for kaiser, however I haven't gotten a good feel for what a kaiser EP makes. I know pay structure varies by region and also that in northern california pay is based off of a 40 hr work week, but not much beyond there.

Members don't see this ad.

Not too sure anymore, but I think in 220-30 range +/- a few bucks. Plus add benefits, etc. Yes, it is based on 40hr week. You get malpractice, sick leave, ed pay, license paid, education/book reimbursement, etc. Workload is decent. Note, I've been out of Kaiser system for over 5 yrs now.....Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks spyderdoc for the info. Does this sound about right to everyone else? Is there anyone currently working for kaiser that can comment. So, does the 40 hour work week essentially mean 2000 hours worked over the year minus some vacation time?

Members don't see this ad :)
If memory serves me from a friend I know- in SF area, salaried at $270K(relatively recently increased from $250K). (downside is that since people are salaried, there is more push back from admitting docs verses community) I think you work towards "partner" and I don't know if that means more money...more vacation for sure, but my friend wasn't clear either. They pay by units, which full time is 40hrs.

Per my friend you can earn more at other places, but Kaiser in the long haul gives great benefits.

Sacremento might have a diff payscale.

base salary for socal kaiser around 215K, sounds a bit low to me, especially compared to northcal kaiser, is the 275K figure the base salary, do you guy know? anybody else working for socal kaiser group?

sounds about right.

contact the kaiser recruiter for northern california. pm me if you need the info.

Current start salary in EM for TPMG (The Permanente Medical Group) is $272K based on 40 hour work week less paid time off (3 weeks vacation, 1 week Ed leave, 7 paid holidays). Of course in EM you can expect to work some holidays, but it's one less day during that month that you have to work. Path to partnership is 3 years if you are full time. When you are partner you receive an "incentive payment" as a bonus based on organizational performance. There are periodic other bonuses paid based on organizational, department, and individual performance. Five year "target salary" is currently about $290K. Benefits include health, dental, paid vacation (as above, get an additional week after 5 years and another after 10), Ed Leave funding (in addition to paid time for EL), paid med-mal, paid time off for board exams, life insurance, disability insurance, 401K corporate contribution, pension, and more - very generous benefits. Extremely stable group. Great consult support. Very supportive group structure. The salary is competitive with most groups in N. Cal and the benefits can't be beat.

Anybody know what the current Kaiser Southern California starting salaries for emergency medicine? How much more money do you get when you make partner?

Kaiser LA is about $280 including benefits at 40h/wk... I think that's 36 clinical and 4 admin.

Current start salary in EM for TPMG (The Permanente Medical Group) is $272K based on 40 hour work week less paid time off (3 weeks vacation, 1 week Ed leave, 7 paid holidays). Of course in EM you can expect to work some holidays, but it's one less day during that month that you have to work. Path to partnership is 3 years if you are full time. When you are partner you receive an "incentive payment" as a bonus based on organizational performance. There are periodic other bonuses paid based on organizational, department, and individual performance. Five year "target salary" is currently about $290K. Benefits include health, dental, paid vacation (as above, get an additional week after 5 years and another after 10), Ed Leave funding (in addition to paid time for EL), paid med-mal, paid time off for board exams, life insurance, disability insurance, 401K corporate contribution, pension, and more - very generous benefits. Extremely stable group. Great consult support. Very supportive group structure. The salary is competitive with most groups in N. Cal and the benefits can't be beat.

What is the "pension" like at large groups like this?

Sent from my ADR6300 using SDN Mobile

are there overtime opportunities available within Kaiser?

What is the "pension" like at large groups like this?

From previous posts on here as well as various other boards (ie: FP) the pension is pretty generous - ive heard anywhere from 1/2 to 2/3 of peak annual salary after 20 years service

not really quite sure how sustainable that is

Anybody know the current salary is for Kaiser EM partners in Southern California? Is the 280k number mentioned above include benefits or not?

From previous posts on here as well as various other boards (ie: FP) the pension is pretty generous - ive heard anywhere from 1/2 to 2/3 of peak annual salary after 20 years service

not really quite sure how sustainable that is

so if you start working there at age 30 and work for 20yrs, you will retire at 50yo and start getting 140K/yr (0.5*280) for the rest of your life without working again? wow

so if you start working there at age 30 and work for 20yrs, you will retire at 50yo and start getting 140K/yr (0.5*280) for the rest of your life without working again? wow

Based on currency inflation history, 140K/year in 2012 dollars will translate to ~80K/year of today's dollars in 2032. Still good, but not the same.