Kaiser vs. Mayo Clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stressedx10

Reaction score
Hey all! I've been seeing a lot of these threads lately, but still wanted to know what you think. I really like both schools, so this is a challenging decision :(
Goals: Obtain competitive residency in CA (probably something surgical but open-minded). NOT interested in academia.

Kaiser ($0)
+FREE, financial freedom
+support system nearby
+small class size, high faculty:student ratio
+Faculty/admin seem VERY invested in finding nearby connections to USC, UCLA, Caltech for research opportunities, but of course everything has to be taken with a grain of salt
+Lots of Kaiser training sites across the USA to do rotations at during third year, plus they supposedly have partnerships with Cedars-Sinai and LA hospitals
+In CA, SoCal weather
+Huge emphasis on student wellness

- new school, risky if I want to do something competitive, especially with Step 1 being P/F?
- less prestige
- seems like Kaiser is more focused on primary care (this is just my impression?) with their required rotation at a community health clinic and first year clinical experiences focused on Family and Internal med
-No home residencies for some specialties, but admin seem like they will do whatever they can and use their connections to make students successful in whatever specialty they'd like

Mayo Clinic ($180k)
+
Prestige
+Unparalleled clinical opportunities
+Established school
+Small class size, high faculty:student ratio
+Flexible curriculum with weeks off to explore careers/shadow different specialties at other institutions if we want
+Structured partnership with Arizona State University if I want to pursue a dual degree (not super important but there is the option)
+Current students seem to love it here, saying that mentorship is 1:1 and they feel truly supported by admin
+Less risk involved

- Away from home
-Weather is not as desirable
-Debt
-Location is not as desirable
-Not in CA (however, most likely will not be a problem to match back into CA after talking to students?)

Members don't see this ad.

Mayo is the medical school that Kaiser aspires to be... but Kaiser has the way better location. USC and UCLA are quite far from Kaiser, and CalTech is a powerhouse in basic science, if you are interested in bench lab.

Mayo! (I think for many, ppl's reservations about Mayo come from the super small class size and weather) but if you don't think you'd find those to be a major impediment, then go for it).

Is there any way to ask for even a little more aid at this point? Mayo can be generous with aid from what I've read.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mayo is wonderful, but if you aren’t interested in academia and want to end up in CA, I don’t see how a degree from Mayo adds much value to your goals.

If KP has residency/fellowship programs you may be interested in, it might be helpful to check out the faculty on program websites. I noticed faculty in my specialty of interest held dual positions at places like UCLA, USC, UCSF and UCSD, which made me feel better about the potential to match to one of those institutions from KP (yes I’ll be attending KP so I’m biased).

Competitive residency in Cali -> Mayo would be your best bet IMO. Kaiser has great faculty but it's a new program and there is no new program that will provide you the opportunities Mayo will.

Reactions: 1 users
At that price? Mayo end of story

Kaiser is basically trying to be Mayo LMAO.

Go to the real deal.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Im So curious with this decision! Did you make a final decision? :)
For all the future lurkers, it was a really tough decision, and I decided to go with Kaiser! Both schools were amazing, and it was heartbreaking to turn down either. For my personal situation though, I felt I would be happier at KP with a more desirable location, weather, and support nearby. I have no doubt the school will provide all the support the class needs with their abundant clinical opportunities and connections. One of my biggest issues with KP was the driving in LA traffic to get to clinic, and the school recently told us that we would be provided Uber transport to all our clinical sites. Many students had asked for this, and they delivered! I feel like this will be a great school, and I understand others may have chosen differently if they were in my situation. But I’m really happy, and even more importantly, excited to start school!

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
FOLLOW THE MONEY. Even with a doctor's salary, $180k is nothing to sneeze at. We're not talking top tier medical school v. Caribbean here. Either will get you where you want to go if you work hard.

Reactions: 1 user
For all the future lurkers, it was a really tough decision, and I decided to go with Kaiser! Both schools were amazing, and it was heartbreaking to turn down either. For my personal situation though, I felt I would be happier at KP with a more desirable location, weather, and support nearby. I have no doubt the school will provide all the support the class needs with their abundant clinical opportunities and connections. One of my biggest issues with KP was the driving in LA traffic to get to clinic, and the school recently told us that we would be provided Uber transport to all our clinical sites. Many students had asked for this, and they delivered! I feel like this will be a great school, and I understand others may have chosen differently if they were in my situation. But I’m really happy, and even more importantly, excited to start school!

Your 401k and future family will thank you. That's an extra $180k into your retirement fund potentially or that you could put into an investment property to create passive income. I think you will be happy with your decision in the long term! Congratulations.

Reactions: 1 users