Kallmann Syndrome and Anosmia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MudPhud20XX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was going over Firecracker and noticed that Kallman syndrome is also associated with anosmia. Does this have to do with something with lack of GnRH secretion? Perhaps not important to know the reason for the board but I feel like it will help me recall "anosmia" in Kallman. Many thanks!
  • Functional absence of GnRH secretion from neurons or defect at the level of GnRH receptors results in hypogonadism; when associated with anosmia the condition is called “Kallmann Syndrome”

Members don't see this ad.

GnRH neurons originate in the olfactory placode. So you get no GnRH neurons, and a faulty development of the olfactory placed which causes anosmia.

Reactions: 3 users
A testable point as swoopy mentioned is that Kallman's is a failure of cell migration. So they can correlate its pathogenesis to other unrelated defects, such as Hirschsprung's or lissencephaly.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Kallman syndrome is X-linked.

For Step1, all you need to know: X-linked, anosmia, tertiary hypogonadism (decreased GnRH); failure of cell migration.

For Step2CK: X-linked, anosmia, tertiary hypogonadism, renal insufficiency in 50% of patients (i.e., what other investigations would you carry out in this patient? --> renal function).

Reactions: 1 users
Well, you'd hope so. but I got that info from a UWorld answer explanation I just did. That said, it wasn't related at all to being able to answer the question.