Kansas City Emergency Medicine (UMKC)

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by bigfrank, Mar 7, 2002.

1. bigfrank

bigfrank SDN Donor

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bigfrank

bigfrank SDN Donor

Does anyone have any input to this question? I'd really appreciate it.

-----F

4. lumanyika

lumanyika Senior Member

hey,
    i'm a graduate student(biochemistry) at UMKC. you might want to check out their Emergency Medicine residency program <a href="http://www.med.umkc.edu/residency/em/emreshm.html" target="_blank">here</a>.I hope I have been of little help.

5. vandelay

vandelay New Member

I currently go to UMKC med. school and the Emergency Med. program is fantastic. The residents and attendings are great to work and hang out with and everyone gets along well. The attendings are probably the strongest part of the program. They are extremely knowlegable and several are nationally known for their research. The ED itself is not much to look at, and Truman Medical Center is not the greatest hospital around, but you will definitely get great training. Hope this helps.

6. A little elf

A little elf Member

I think that there are some reviews on the Kansas City program on scutwork.com.....

7. bigfrank

bigfrank SDN Donor

Yes, I saw that it had 2 reviews (which weren't very good--about 2 stars).

I was just curious if I could get someone to go out on a limb and give what a competitive Step I score is. 210? 220?

Thanks, Frank

8. A little elf

A little elf Member

It's really hard to say what a competitive step 1 score is. I think that it all depends on the program that you're looking at...but then again some programs don't give interviews to people with extremely high Step 1 scores. Although it's hard to say, I'd say that a step 1 score above 225 would help make you competitive at any program... On a different note, I know people who scored below the mean on Step 1 and still matched in EM...If you have a program that you like, go rotate there...my unofficial feeling is that letters of rec, clinical factors mean a lot more...just my 2 cents