Kansas City (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They made me get naked, was that unusual!?!?!?!?

Not unusual at all. Med School is so intense, they will do anything for a laugh!!:naughty::naughty::naughty::eek::eek::D:D

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a re-applicant and I know the feeling. Again, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure you'll hear some good news from other schools you've applied to! Keep us posted! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I've been accepted and am planning on going! Does anyone know when school starts?
Thanks!

Orientation week starts August 4th (extrapolated from the two previous class's academic calenders)

The white-coat ceremony is August 8th (told us in the acceptance letter)

Actual classes start the following Monday at 8 AM (prior calenders as well)

You can always view a lot of the important dates by searching for the KCUMB 5 yr academic calendar

Accepted
Letter dated 12th Feb, Interviewed on 28th Jan,
cGPA 3.86, sGPA 3.96 MCAT 30

to those waitlisted, did your letter state waitlisted in it. Kind of a dumb question but I felt that the rejection letter was kind of ambiguous.

Anyone from the January 30th interview hear back yet?

You should be hearing soon. I interviewed Jan 28...rejected unfortunately :( I was really excited about KCUMB cause it was my favorite school from the ones I interviewed at. I got the wrong impression that the interview went really well too. Oh well

You should be hearing soon. I interviewed Jan 28...rejected unfortunately :( I was really excited about KCUMB cause it was my favorite school from the ones I interviewed at. I got the wrong impression that the interview went really well too. Oh well

I'm sorry to hear that..Have you been accepted elsewhere? If so, where at? This makes me worry about my interview and some others on here too because I thought my interview went well. If you don't mind, could you share your stats with us? It may be that the interviewers really liked you but the rest of the committee thought otherwise.

Members don't see this ad :)
For everyone who has recently been accepted, did any of you receive the packet with all of the info about acceptance fees and immunizations? I got my acceptance letter on Feb 14th, and was wondering if I should have received the packet by now.
Thanks!

I'm sorry to hear that..Have you been accepted elsewhere? If so, where at? This makes me worry about my interview and some others on here too because I thought my interview went well. If you don't mind, could you share your stats with us? It may be that the interviewers really liked you but the rest of the committee thought otherwise.

Im waiting on answers from a few schools, but so far I got into CUSOM (really awesome school with big plans, provisional accreditation though but im sure they'll have full by the time I finish). I had a really good time with the interviewers in KCUMB (I was the last one to get interviewed, like everyone else had left by the time I walked out, including the students). But my interviewers seemed to like me, I guess you're right, the admissions committee thought otherwise.

Stats are: 29M MCAT, GPA: 3.56, sGPA: 3.26

For everyone who has recently been accepted, did any of you receive the packet with all of the info about acceptance fees and immunizations? I got my acceptance letter on Feb 14th, and was wondering if I should have received the packet by now.
Thanks!
It wasn't a packet...just a letter. It took about an additional 5-7 days to get that letter after the acceptance letter. Basically just says that acceptance/matriculation fees totaling $2000 are due March 15.

It wasn't a packet...just a letter. It took about an additional 5-7 days to get that letter after the acceptance letter. Basically just says that acceptance/matriculation fees totaling $2000 are due March 15.
Great. Thanks for your help!

I interviewed on the 23rd. 25/3.8 overall/3.6 science

I interviewed on 2/20, and while my interviewers were super nice, I didn't get a feeling they liked me. However, they also said that they have to fill out a check-list and give it to the admissions committee to make the final decision. Does anybody know what's on that "check-list"? I am still hoping there's a chance I will get in.

I interviewed on 2/20, and while my interviewers were super nice, I didn't get a feeling they liked me. However, they also said that they have to fill out a check-list and give it to the admissions committee to make the final decision. Does anybody know what's on that "check-list"? I am still hoping there's a chance I will get in.

As far as the check-list goes, they ranking on professionalism, enthusiasm for being a DO and for the school, how well you fit in with the school and student body, manners, etc.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited:

So it's actually a rubric with scores either 1-5 or 1-10 they just started doing it last yr for my class as a means to try and remove any bias the interviewers might have. And they rate you sort of how you fit with the school

Does anyone know when the Feb 11th decisions go out?

So does anyone know how KCUMB does their wait list? I really liked the school and have other options but kind of would like an idea of what my chances are.

I am looking to get some new gadgets before I start in the fall and I wanted to see if anyone has used the MacBook Air, latest iPad, Samsung Galaxy, and other tablets.

I am especially looking into tablets since my current computer is alright for now. Do a lot of students make use of tablets?

In regards to the MacBook Air, is it pretty comparable to the pro if you have all of your files on a small usb stick? I personally do not have much on my computer and I have had it for years (with the exception to music) and I feel like it would be fine to have the air + memory stick.

When I called the admissions office, they said that the wait list doesn't start to shift until late June.

Hi, I haven't been accepted yet...but if I do get accepted, I am worried about how to manage the school with a family. Is there anyone with family who'd be willing to meet with me and my husband to describe their experiences?
Thanks!

Hi, I haven't been accepted yet...but if I do get accepted, I am worried about how to manage the school with a family. Is there anyone with family who'd be willing to meet with me and my husband to describe their experiences?
Thanks!

I met a student with 9 kids while interviewing. I too am curious how I can make med school work with minimal impact to my family, but the guy I spoke said his spouse was really supportive. He said having his wife's support when he needed to stay up late studying or spend an evening on campuses made his marriage stronger.

He adjusted his study schedule around his kids. He waited until everyone went to bed. Then, he started studying, which resulted in minimal sleep every night. It sounded rough, but it helped keep his family life intact.

I got the mail today. I've been wait listed :(

Same here. Is the class full or what? This is a extremely disappointing.... Does anyone how the movement is on the wait list?

Also, do you mind sharing your stats?

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that. I think the wait list shifts a lot because a lot of students change their minds depending on other acceptances

Where do you guys live?

I'm in chicago and I haven't heard anything

Same here. Is the class full or what? This is a extremely disappointing.... Does anyone how the movement is on the wait list?

Also, do you mind sharing your stats?

Honestly, my stats aren't the greatest, but I think they reviewed my application as a whole, rather than just for numbers. I have years of research experience, a few publications, past leadership positions, hundreds of volunteer hours, many DO and MD shadowing, good recommendations, etc. So I was blessed in that way. I did apply late though. My application was completed second week of January, so that put me behind.

I really ranked KCUMB as my top choice. I guess we still have some hope. Just really surprised that classes are filled already!

I'm sorry to hear that. I think the wait list shifts a lot because a lot of students change their minds depending on other acceptances

Where do you guys live?

I'm in chicago and I haven't heard anything

You might get a letter by tomorrow, I would assume. Mine is postmarked 2/25/13. Good luck!

Last edited:
Honestly, my stats aren't the greatest, but I think they reviewed my application as a whole, rather than just for numbers. I have years of research experience, a few publications, past leadership positions, hundreds of volunteer hours, many DO and MD shadowing, good recommendations, etc. So I was blessed in that way. I did apply late though. My application was completed second week of January, so that put me behind.

I really ranked KCUMB as my top choice. I guess we still have some hope. Just really surprised that classes are filled already!

I am actually in the same boat as you. My stats are average at best and as you stated, they reviewed my application as a whole, rather than just for numbers. My application was also late (early December).

Yes, I searched around SDN and some online digging and came up with mixed responses. Some threads hint that there is little waitlist movement while others say there is a fair amount of movement.

Either way, let's pray that people that have already been accepted [to KCUMB-COM] get into their TOP choices or for whatever reason opt to go to a different school so we are all happy! :D

Btw, does anyone know if the class is actually full? Also, if anyone can shed any details on how KCUMB-COM handles their waitlist?

Thank you in advance!

TO A1237:

I live in Missouri; letter dated 25th.

I think I know who you are. We may have sat next to each other on interview day during the financial aid session. You've been accepted to CCOM? You might get a letter my tomorrow, I would assume.

Nope I have no acceptances yet. I interviewed here and at touro Nevada. I'm in the same boat as both of you haha.

Also, they told me the class was not full but the interview invites were full and complete

Nope I have no acceptances yet. I interviewed here and at touro Nevada. I'm in the same boat as both of you haha.

Oh, I guess interview day had multiple students from Chicago. Haha I am two for two thus far. Two interviews and two wait listings. Not the best feeling in the world.

Also, they told me the class was not full but the interview invites were full and complete

Then maybe they sent out acceptances, wait listings and rejections this time around and some of us didn't get lucky. I guess I am curious to know what news you will hear. Maybe acceptance letters are special and they arrive later...

This school really impressed me. Hoping to get a positive letter soon!

Then maybe they sent out acceptances, wait listings and rejections this time around and some of us didn't get lucky. I guess I am curious to know what news you will hear. Maybe acceptance letters are special and they arrive later...

Isn't it so messed up that we start imagining things like that?
I analyze every little thing just like that

Just got the letter, I got accepted

27 mcat, 3.52gpa, 3.39sgpa

Last edited:
just got the letter, i'm got accepted

27 mcat, 3.52gpa, 3.39sgpa

congratulations!!!!! :D

Entering Class________2009____2010____2011____2012
Applications.................3109.......3108.......3210.......3461
Invited...........................828.........627........766
Interviewed ....................460.........400........621...........655
Accepted......................423.........356........478...........476
Paid Matric Fees...........277.........289.........296..........255

Accepted/Intrvwd........91.96%...89.00%....76.97%.....72.67%
Matriculated/Acptd.....65.48%...81.18%....61.92%.....53.57%

Sources: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=912626
http://www.kcumb.edu/uploadedFiles/Content/Academics/_Assets/College_Catalog.pdf

So does this mean that close to 50% of people they accept end up choosing elsewhere? Since I am placed on the Waiting List, I was curious of my chances of getting accepted here. I don't know if they outright accept the additional 220 students in addition to the 250-ish spots available. If that's the case, that's pretty risky and will make getting accepted from the waitlist very very unlikely....Any thoughts?

Last edited: