Kansas City (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted!!!! Definitely attending!!!

Interviewed: 2/13
Accepted 2/28

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted!!! See you guys this fall. My stats were average, I applied late mid January, but I rocked the interview :love: :)

Members don't see this ad :)
To those who plan on attending, where do you plan to live/get an apartment?

I'm thinking of living at Century Towers. I'd love to room with a non-trad like myself. Feel free to message me!

Does KCUMB provide any type of board prep and how many months do students usually get to prepare?

Does KCUMB provide any type of board prep and how many months do students usually get to prepare?

Yes...sort of. I'm a KCUMB 4th year. They're good at plugging you into DIT or Kaplan prep programs. There are other resources as well: dedicated tutoring/learning resource staff, requiring pre-tests (though there was just a JAOA article that indicated COMSAE is not the greatest predictor of performance--you'll see when you take it), etc.

The Dean polled us earlier this year about including a board prep course in your tuition. Everyone would have it, no opting out. Next year's incoming class would be the first (maybe, second) to have this requirement. The idea is that they've been tracking for the last few years and those that have committed to a program have done better on the steps. I'm not so sure it's anything special about DIT or Kaplan; more that you're set up with the resources and a plan. Those that buy First Aid and wing it probably don't have a set plan and, as such, probably do not end up studying as much. Let's be honest, it's human nature to slack if you don't have to do something. Just a guess.

Edit: Most people start studying for step/level 1 during the second semester of second year. I started in February/March and was probably in the middle of the pack. Some started before, some later. Lots of people quote the rule of twos for boards: 2 months for step 1, 2 weeks for step 2, just need a #2 pencil for step 3. Not exactly accurate, but you get the point. A couple of months for step one is sufficient.

This is waaaay too early for this, but use USMLEWorld +/- Combank if you're taking both boards, Combank if just COMLEX.

Last edited:
Accepted Definately attending!!!

Stats:
MCAT 27Q
BCM GPA; 3.83
cGPA: 3.81

Interviewed: Feb 13 2013
Got the letter: March 4th

Last edited:
Congrats! When did you interview and when did you get the acceptance letter?

how long does it take them to send the payment info? I have had my acceptance letter for around 5 days and have not heard anything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not 100% sure yet. Thankfully, I have a few options but I've narrowed it down to either KCUMB or DMU.

Is anyone attending in August looking to live somewhere other than CT and looking for a roommate?
If so, please PM me.

Has anyone who interviewed on February 11/13 that hasn't received a decision letter?

Just wondering if I am the only one still waiting...

how long does it take them to send the payment info? I have had my acceptance letter for around 5 days and have not heard anything else.

Same here. I called the school and we should be getting payment info in the next day or so.

Can't wait to meet my future classmates in the Fall!! :D

Has anyone who's been waitlisted heard anything about when we will be hearing back? Does KCUMB rank the wait list? How many people are waitlisted? I'm just trying to gauge my chances of getting into the program at this point.

Any info would be great and any advice from current students would also be appreciated!

Has anyone who's been waitlisted heard anything about when we will be hearing back? Does KCUMB rank the wait list? How many people are waitlisted? I'm just trying to gauge my chances of getting into the program at this point.

Any info would be great and any advice from current students would also be appreciated!

I'm also placed on the waiting list for KCUMB but I don't know how the waiting list will be handled since they have a new dean now. Like most other schools, I highly doubt they would be willing to release that information (can't blame them :))

I think our best bet is to wait until May and see where it goes from there. i might give them a phone call sometime in early May since by then, they will know exactly how they are handling their waiting list.

Let me know if you uncover some better info :/

Hey BABDOC or any other KCUMB current students, do you guys know if there are any school sponsored events that occur between the white coat ceremony and the beginning of school? I am trying to get information about when to move-in and all that, but I haven't found that much information readily available to accepted students yet. If you could let me know what happened in your experience when you first started, I would greatly appreciate anything you had to share! Thanks in advance.

Hey BABDOC or any other KCUMB current students, do you guys know if there are any school sponsored events that occur between the white coat ceremony and the beginning of school? I am trying to get information about when to move-in and all that, but I haven't found that much information readily available to accepted students yet. If you could let me know what happened in your experience when you first started, I would greatly appreciate anything you had to share! Thanks in advance.

Orientation week runs from Monday to Thursday, with the White Coat Ceremony being on Thursday afternoon followed by a reception. Unless things have changed since last year you will have Friday off. What I would recommend is to be moved in at least a few days prior to orientation, as things get busy fast. Also if you are purchasing furniture here, it may take a few days to arrive and it might not be possible to be at your place when you need to be.

Hey thanks! So if the White Coat Ceremony is August 8th this year and classes begin on the 12th, I should probably be around starting July 31st or August 1st? Do you remember when you moved in or when the bulk of your classmates started to arrive in the area (those who were from out of state)?

Hey thanks! So if the White Coat Ceremony is August 8th this year and classes begin on the 12th, I should probably be around starting July 31st or August 1st? Do you remember when you moved in or when the bulk of your classmates started to arrive in the area (those who were from out of state)?

I would say the bulk moved in a week or two prior to the start of orientation. Personally I moved in at the end of June. Sometimes it's worth having a lease begin earlier as you will get a better monthly rate. It also was quite nice to check out KC and meet people as they showed up. Many great nights with a few drinks without the stress of getting your place set up. As I'm sure you can figure out I came from the east coast. I would say most people coming from that far away do the drive over two to three days.

I got my payment info around a week after my acceptance letter, if anyone is waiting for theirs and is wanting an approximate time frame. :D Would anyone happen to know if you can send a check in? The letter came with a form for credit card info that you're supposed to mail in, but I'd feel more comfortable sending a check in the mail if it's allowed.

Anyone need a roommate to live in CT?

I might! Gender? ;)

Can't wait to meet my future classmates in the Fall!! :D
+1!

released my seat to attend elsewhere. Good luck everyone, have a great year!

If you don't mind, could you share with us where you decided to attend? I hope more people get into their top choices elsewhere so I can go to my top choice (KCUMB) :D

All the best to you!

If you don't mind, could you share with us where you decided to attend? I hope more people get into their top choices elsewhere so I can go to my top choice (KCUMB) :D

All the best to you!

University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Med. Hope you get in to KCUMB, it seemed to be an amazing school. Good luck!

Does anybody know if the admission process got delayed because of the snow days?

Have they had any snow days this year? If not, do they ever?

we had 2 pretty bad storms this year...winter storm Q and i forget the name of the other...but anyways Q dumped around 8in on us within a few hours then a few days later the other storm dumped another 5-6in...took quite a while to clean up
KCUMB closed a few days...they do their best to set up a schedule that can be tweaked in case of weather closures during the winter months

I got my payment info around a week after my acceptance letter, if anyone is waiting for theirs and is wanting an approximate time frame. :D Would anyone happen to know if you can send a check in? The letter came with a form for credit card info that you're supposed to mail in, but I'd feel more comfortable sending a check in the mail if it's allowed.

I might! Gender? ;)

+1!

a guy

So anyone who is on the wait list, sorry to sound negative, as I am in this situation as well. I talked up admissions today and it seems that our chances of acceptance are close to zero. They over accept, so pulling people off the wait list is rare. They told me not a single person was pulled off the wait list last year. :(

So anyone who is on the wait list, sorry to sound negative, as I am in this situation as well. I talked up admissions today and it seems that our chances of acceptance are close to zero. They over accept, so pulling people off the wait list is rare. They told me not a single person was pulled off the wait list last year. :(

All schools over accept. It could be different this year!

Oh, man it's been 3 weeks since my interview, and no letter yet. I am getting very very anxious.

I keep asking myself, what would be better, to get a rejection letter sooner or an acceptance letter later? Of course, worst would be to wait and wait and wait only to be rejected...

That really sucks to hear.... I spoke to one of the members of the Admissions Office staff and I was told that in the past two years they have accepted "very few" students from the waiting list.

I just find it really hard to believe that their number of over-acceptance is so good that they don't access the waiting list. Are they allowed to increase their seats to 260 or 270 if their over acceptance bites them in the butt?

That really sucks to hear.... I spoke to one of the members of the Admissions Office staff and I was told that in the past two years they have accepted "very few" students from the waiting list.

I just find it really hard to believe that their number of over-acceptance is so good that they don't access the waiting list. Are they allowed to increase their seats to 260 or 270 if their over acceptance bites them in the butt?

our class started at 259 (it has dropped to roughly 250 i believe)...many schools overaccept and yea i bet it bites some of them in the butt but they have enough data to know roughly how much to overaccept and not have much if any overfill

our class started at 259 (it has dropped to roughly 250 i believe)...many schools overaccept and yea i bet it bites some of them in the butt but they have enough data to know roughly how much to overaccept and not have much if any overfill

It looks from some data a page ago that the number of students have been going down.

To add on to what was mentioned above, they do have some sort of algorithm to figure this stuff out. One thing to consider is that a few new schools have opened this year, so things may be slightly different. If I remember correctly MD programs must accept or give up their spot by mid summer. If you were wait listed, hope for the best but if this is the path you want to take, then it will happen.

To add on to what was mentioned above, they do have some sort of algorithm to figure this stuff out. One thing to consider is that a few new schools have opened this year, so things may be slightly different. If I remember correctly MD programs must accept or give up their spot by mid summer. If you were wait listed, hope for the best but if this is the path you want to take, then it will happen.

Interesting. I suppose no amount of speculation will matter as ultimately time will tell. Keeping my fingers crossed :D

It's been more than three weeks since my interview and I haven't heard anything. should I call the admissions office or give them a few more days?

It's been more than three weeks since my interview and I haven't heard anything. should I call the admissions office or give them a few more days?

Give them a few more days. The last interviews of the year were last Friday so they were probably meeting this week to make final decisions. It takes from 2-4 weeks to get your decision in the mail depending on how soon after your interview to committee ended up meeting. Good luck!

Turned down my acceptance today in favor of a couple other options. Hopefully my seat goes to one of you! Good Luck!

Turned down my acceptance today as well. Got into my state school MD program!

Last edited: