Kansas City (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Withdrew my acceptance today for another school. KCUMB is an amazing school and it was a really hard decision; basically came down to location.
Anyways, hopefully one of you guys or gals gets the spot!

Turned down my acceptance today as well. Got into my state school MD program!

Turned down my acceptance today in favor of a couple other options. Hopefully my seat goes to one of you! Good Luck!

Congratulations Guys/gals! Thank you for letting us know! :)

Congratulations Guys/gals! Thank you for letting us know! :)

I hope someone very deserving gets in. KCUMB is an amazing institution and I would have been very proud to have attended.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would say the bulk moved in a week or two prior to the start of orientation. Personally I moved in at the end of June. Sometimes it's worth having a lease begin earlier as you will get a better monthly rate. It also was quite nice to check out KC and meet people as they showed up. Many great nights with a few drinks without the stress of getting your place set up. As I'm sure you can figure out I came from the east coast. I would say most people coming from that far away do the drive over two to three days.

If new students are planning to live in CT, I'd agree and recommend moving in at a week or more before orientation starts. I moved in the weekend before and it was CRAZY. There is limited space at their loading dock (you're not allowed to bring things in from the front) and there is only one set of two elevators. And bring your own carts/dollies.

Rejected from KCUMB. Didn't surprise me that much because I didn't feel great about my interview. Disappointed though, because I really liked the school. Will try again next year! Good luck and congrats to all!

Rejected from KCUMB. Didn't surprise me that much because I didn't feel great about my interview. Disappointed though, because I really liked the school. Will try again next year! Good luck and congrats to all!

I'm sorry to hear that :( I'm guessing no love from any other schools either?

I'm sorry to hear that :( I'm guessing no love from any other schools either?

I only applied to one other school, but it was a state school and I am not from that state.;) My stats are pretty good, though...S3.95, NS3.74, 29Q...So I think I need more healthcare experience. A year of volunteering and shadowing would be good for me. And working on my interview skills...;)

Anyone living out there have some tips for areas to look in to for apartments? I'd like to live in some place like the plaza or river market so that I'm close enough to walk around town for groceries, shopping, etc..but lofts aren't really my thing..

Is there a facebook group for the incoming class?

There are two of them: KCUMB-COM Class of 2017 and *KCUMB Class of 2017.

Last edited:
Ugh deciding between this school and nova is pretty much impossible

Members don't see this ad :)
can anyone tell me what my chances are at KCUMB?

Illinois resident

3.7 cGPA, 3.5-3.6 sGPA
25 MCAT (9PS 7VR 9BS)

Lots of volunteering, EMT, shadowing, tennis coach, some clubs, research, DO letter

You're good. We're similar on paper and I was interviewed/accepted in October.

I chose here...wasn't too thrilled with Nova

I sent you a PM! If you could please check it out, I would be very thankful.

Care to elaborate?

I know Nova and KCUMB have required attendance, but I hear Nova doesn't enforce it?

I would definitely still apply to both. For some people - interview day and the first impression is a make or break kind of deal.

Last edited:
I was placed on waitlist and had a spot available for next fall if I want it. Does everyone get that option who is waitlisted?

I was placed on waitlist and had a spot available for next fall if I want it. Does everyone get that option who is waitlisted?
I was placed on the waitlist but haven't heard that option of another spot the following fall? OOS waitlist

I don't know what your other options are like but I'd take that acceptance and run with it (assuming you liked the school). Spend your gap year making some money, traveling, doing research, or whatever you want to do.

I don't know what your other options are like but I'd take that acceptance and run with it (assuming you liked the school). Spend your gap year making some money, traveling, doing research, or whatever you want to do.
You speak what my heart says. But part of me is torn...I would but I was offered another acceptance is the only thing (at a way more affordable institution that is just as good even though my heart is with KCUMB)...I would definitely go to KCUMB if I was accepted off wait list this year regardless. Waiting a year is complicated...
Plus I would have to live at home for a year and I dont know how much that would work out.

This is why I want to know how many people have accepted their offers at this time.

Last edited:
Here is the best advice for you: Medical School is Medical School! I know everyone has their own preferences, but do you know that for 100% KCUMB is holding a spot for you next year? If you have an acceptance know, why don't you just take the spot and starting this summer? You know your own personal situation better than I do, but think hard about your decision.

Here is the best advice for you: Medical School is Medical School! I know everyone has their own preferences, but do you know that for 100% KCUMB is holding a spot for you next year? If you have an acceptance know, why don't you just take the spot and starting this summer? You know your own personal situation better than I do, but think hard about your decision.
Thats what I was thinking as well. Its just a school. But its the school I really want. We will see what happens.

You speak what my heart says. But part of me is torn...I would but I was offered another acceptance is the only thing (at a way more affordable institution that is just as good even though my heart is with KCUMB)...I would definitely go to KCUMB if I was accepted off wait list this year regardless. Waiting a year is complicated...
Plus I would have to live at home for a year and I dont know how much that would work out.

This is why I want to know how many people have accepted their offers at this time.

If I were you I would call or write to the director of admissions and explain your problem. You really want KCUMB but have another acceptance and aren't sure if you can spare the extra year. Be honest and clear about why you want to go to KCUMB and ask for a shot at this years class. If what you say is true they have already accepted you and I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't be able to find a spot for you in the class if they wanted to. KCUMB doesn't have a set number they accept each year, it varies based on the number of candidates.

If that doesn't work you have a hard decision. A year off could be a great thing, you future is secure and you would be free to pursue other interests, travel, work, etc, all while knowing you were going to be a doctor. If you like the other school, would be happy with the location, and have nothing else you want to do during a gap year then take the other acceptance. If you have any reservations about the other school or if you have some cool ideas for a year off then take it and come to KCUMB.

KCUMB is a great place, I love it here, but there are a lot of other great schools so make this about what you want personally rather than about missing a year of attending pay or some other stupid reason that I guarantee you won't care about in 10 years.

Good luck!

If I were you I would call or write to the director of admissions and explain your problem. You really want KCUMB but have another acceptance and aren't sure if you can spare the extra year. Be honest and clear about why you want to go to KCUMB and ask for a shot at this years class. If what you say is true they have already accepted you and I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't be able to find a spot for you in the class if they wanted to. KCUMB doesn't have a set number they accept each year, it varies based on the number of candidates.

If that doesn't work you have a hard decision. A year off could be a great thing, you future is secure and you would be free to pursue other interests, travel, work, etc, all while knowing you were going to be a doctor. If you like the other school, would be happy with the location, and have nothing else you want to do during a gap year then take the other acceptance. If you have any reservations about the other school or if you have some cool ideas for a year off then take it and come to KCUMB.

KCUMB is a great place, I love it here, but there are a lot of other great schools so make this about what you want personally rather than about missing a year of attending pay or some other stupid reason that I guarantee you won't care about in 10 years.

Good luck!
I wrote to the dean, director, and assistant director of admissions a long letter explaining my situation and why I specifically want to go to KCUMB and why I identify with the osteopathic principles. I said I would give them an immediate acceptance if lifted from the wait list. Should I specifically ask for a chance or is that implied...(over analyzing like crazzzyyy)

Sent in my stuff to both KCUMB and Century Towers. Looking for a roommate, can't wait!

I wrote to the dean, director, and assistant director of admissions a long letter explaining my situation and why I specifically want to go to KCUMB and why I identify with the osteopathic principles. I said I would give them an immediate acceptance if lifted from the wait list. Should I specifically ask for a chance or is that implied...(over analyzing like crazzzyyy)

I think what you have written sounds great. Make sure its from the heart and get it sent in already! Good luck.

can anyone tell me what my chances are at KCUMB?

Illinois resident

3.7 cGPA, 3.5-3.6 sGPA
25 MCAT (9PS 7VR 9BS)

Lots of volunteering, EMT, shadowing, tennis coach, some clubs, research, DO letter

Basically have the same stats as you and am 2nd year at kcumb

Anyone living out there have some tips for areas to look in to for apartments? I'd like to live in some place like the plaza or river market so that I'm close enough to walk around town for groceries, shopping, etc..but lofts aren't really my thing..

Many places in downtown are lofts, there are some nice ones that aren't too industrial. If you choose plaza/westport there are many non-loft options. Of course CT is an amazing option and I'm a little biased.

Withdrew my seat. Good luck to whoever takes it! This is an amazing institution!!

I got accepted to KCUMB...class of 2018 though! pretty happy! Congrats for everyone who got in!

Assuming its either through an affiliated 3/4 undergrad program or sometimes if you are wait listed the admin will auto accept you to next year

You are right about the first part! I got to Rockhurst University which is in KCMO (about 4-5 miles south of KCUMB) they have a ton of 3/4 programs where you do 3 years at RU then transfer before your senior year to medical school! Its really nice, especially because they have 5 different medical schools to choose from!

Although everyone accepted will be MS-2 by the time i get there, its nice to see all the different opinions about the school in the thread! and good luck too!

I am about to graduate from KCUMB and just wanted to give a few pieces of advice for those considering KCUMB:

ACADEMICS-The first two years in the classroom are great. KCUMB prepares you really well for both USMLE and COMLEX and they have the highest COMLEX pass rates in the country and I think even the highest average score but don't quote me on that. Many of those who take the USMLE also score I the top 20% of MD students. KCUMB can took me from a low MCAT to a high board score and I don't think I would have done as well on boards at a big MD school.

KANSAS CITY-KC is a great city. I moved from a much bigger city and had never been to KC. It's big enough to have everything and has a lot of fun bar districts but not too big to distract you. I thought KC would be a negative for kcumb but its a huge positive. CT is easy for first year if your from out of town. After that I recommend living on the plaza or maybe Westport or Brookside. Some people live downtown and like it.

RESIDENCIES-70% of KCUMB students end up in MD residencies and 30% DO. Soon there will no longer be different DO/MD residencies but the fact is many KCUMB graduates choose to do residency in larger MD/Academic programs anyway. I matched into my top choice surgery program at a large academic center so it worked out well for me. KCUMB has a lot of people that go into specialties it seems like compared to other DO schools. We match into anesthesia, radiology, and surgery in addition to internal medicines and pediatrics. A lot match into Ortho every year as wel and even some Derm and things like that. But to get into a specialty or great program you have to work really hard and do well--but that's they case at any school. But if you want a super specialty like Ophto or rad onc DO schools are not your best route because they want lots of research and can hand pick the best students in the country.

OTHER: the dual degree MBA program is awesome. One of the only you can do in the country in 4 years and that saves you a lot of money and time. If you want to do research you can. If you want to go somehwere different during third year rotations like Florida or NY for a year you often can. It's expensive but every school is and in the grand scheme of things you'll pay it off one day. Can also do a bioethics masters degree during your 4 years.

That's what I would have wanted to know if I was considering KCUMB so hope it helps.

I am about to graduate from KCUMB and just wanted to give a few pieces of advice for those considering KCUMB:

ACADEMICS-The first two years in the classroom are great. KCUMB prepares you really well for both USMLE and COMLEX and they have the highest COMLEX pass rates in the country and I think even the highest average score but don't quote me on that. Many of those who take the USMLE also score I the top 20% of MD students. KCUMB can took me from a low MCAT to a high board score and I don't think I would have done as well on boards at a big MD school.

KANSAS CITY-KC is a great city. I moved from a much bigger city and had never been to KC. It's big enough to have everything and has a lot of fun bar districts but not too big to distract you. I thought KC would be a negative for kcumb but its a huge positive. CT is easy for first year if your from out of town. After that I recommend living on the plaza or maybe Westport or Brookside. Some people live downtown and like it.

RESIDENCIES-70% of KCUMB students end up in MD residencies and 30% DO. Soon there will no longer be different DO/MD residencies but the fact is many KCUMB graduates choose to do residency in larger MD/Academic programs anyway. I matched into my top choice surgery program at a large academic center so it worked out well for me. KCUMB has a lot of people that go into specialties it seems like compared to other DO schools. We match into anesthesia, radiology, and surgery in addition to internal medicines and pediatrics. A lot match into Ortho every year as wel and even some Derm and things like that. But to get into a specialty or great program you have to work really hard and do well--but that's they case at any school. But if you want a super specialty like Ophto or rad onc DO schools are not your best route because they want lots of research and can hand pick the best students in the country.

OTHER: the dual degree MBA program is awesome. One of the only you can do in the country in 4 years and that saves you a lot of money and time. If you want to do research you can. If you want to go somehwere different during third year rotations like Florida or NY for a year you often can. It's expensive but every school is and in the grand scheme of things you'll pay it off one day. Can also do a bioethics masters degree during your 4 years.

That's what I would have wanted to know if I was considering KCUMB so hope it helps.

Glad to hear happy students feedback like this. It was hard to turn down KCUMB but I am grateful and will remember that they believed in me first and would have given me a great chance to be a great clinician. Good luck to my felllow 2013'ers going here, hope to see some of you in rotations/residency!

hey bruh, im a 2nd yr at kcumb and have been hearing of your classes stellar match....any chance you could send me a copy of the list?

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Awesome to hear! Get's me so excited!

hey bruh, im a 2nd yr at kcumb and have been hearing of your classes stellar match....any chance you could send me a copy of the list?

The school publishes it on the website sometime after the end of the school year. Might just keep an eye out for it as the best I've seen is the roughly 1/3 of the class that posted their result on our class Facebook group. The C/O 2012 and 2011 match lists are on kcumb.edu now.

http://www.kcumb.edu/academics/college-of-osteopathic-medicine/eras-residency/match-statistics/

I know they sent a complete one to faculty this week, was hoping someone here had it

I know they sent a complete one to faculty this week, was hoping someone here had it

I hear ya. I'd love to see the list. With 200-some people in the class, it's hard to get the word out. Would have liked to hear where everyone matched to....especially since most of us are separated by rotations and the majority isn't on our FB group.

Hey everyone! I have a random question to ask about the interview day. Did anyone on their interview day NOT get fitted for their white coat?

At my interview everyone was fitted for white coats before any of the interviews started. Why do you ask?

At my interview everyone was fitted for white coats before any of the interviews started. Why do you ask?

Just curious. I was doing some detective work that's all. I got an interview from KCUMB back in Sept, and saw on the interview day program that there will be a white coat fitting. Some girl I know claims she got accepted to KCUMB a few months ago (she has like a 24 MCAT and not a stellar GPA). Knowing that KCUMB is a pretty good school, I didn't believe her, so I asked her when she's going to get sized for her white coat, and she said during orientation. Just wanted to find out if there were any interviewees who did not get fitted for their white coat before I make a conclusion about her pathological lying.

Haha, you're a clever one! And yes, everyone at my interview was fitted for white coats before their interview started.

I was placed on the waitlist without an option to take a guaranteed spot in next years class.

Has anybody else received a waitlist decision but offered a spot in next year's class? What does your letter/email actually say?

Just curious. I was doing some detective work that's all. I got an interview from KCUMB back in Sept, and saw on the interview day program that there will be a white coat fitting. Some girl I know claims she got accepted to KCUMB a few months ago (she has like a 24 MCAT and not a stellar GPA). Knowing that KCUMB is a pretty good school, I didn't believe her, so I asked her when she's going to get sized for her white coat, and she said during orientation. Just wanted to find out if there were any interviewees who did not get fitted for their white coat before I make a conclusion about her pathological lying.

I met people at my interview there that had pretty low GPA/MCAT combos..a lot of them were all about sharing their stats which seemed odd to me. But yea, KCUMB is a pretty well established school. When it comes to DO schools and how "good" they are..it is usually pretty subjective. The adcom probably thought she was just a good fit for the school.

I met people at my interview there that had pretty low GPA/MCAT combos..a lot of them were all about sharing their stats which seemed odd to me. But yea, KCUMB is a pretty well established school. When it comes to DO schools and how "good" they are..it is usually pretty subjective. The adcom probably thought she was just a good fit for the school.

Oh no I completely understand its a subjective process. I don't believe her not just because of the low stats alone, but also because she doesn't seem at all to be a good fit anywhere. She is very socially awkward and rubs people the wrong way. Definitely not med school material, says I and the majority of my class. I would be surprised if she got accepted anywhere, let alone KCUMB being considered one of the more established DO programs. The point of my earlier comment was to find out if anyone here went to the interview and had NOT got fitted for their white coat, since she claims she'll be fitted at orientation.