Kansas City (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondary invite has been received via email! Does KCUMB pre-screen very heavily?

Members don't see this ad.

Not me, but according to their website you need a 3.25/3.25/23 (>6) and I have a 3.20/3.20/33 (11's). Not sure if screened out or just not sent a secondary yet.
I was admitted with similar (almost spot on) scores, and it took awhile to receive my secondary. I am proof that they make exceptions, but alas I cannot say how many.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary invite. Sheesh..had me worried for a bit KCUMB.

Secondary invite as well

Stats: cGPA:3.4, sGPA:3.3, 28P MCAT with a 6P/10V/12B. Just goes to show that they look at each application and don't necessarily screen out everyone that doesn't meet their requirements.

Last edited:
still no invite here. :( maybe they will send one next week. fingers crossed!

I received an email from admissions stating that I did not have genetics taken as a required class and asking if i was planning on taking it. I never realized until now that we needed genetics for KCUMB, and as I am graduated with no time to take it, I unfortunately emailed admissions back stating that I am not planning on taking the course.

However, today I received the secondary application.... Do you think they just sent it to everyone? I doubt they overlooked the fact that I haven't taken the required course.. right?

I received an email from admissions stating that I did not have genetics taken as a required class and asking if i was planning on taking it. I never realized until now that we needed genetics for KCUMB, and as I am graduated with no time to take it, I unfortunately emailed admissions back stating that I am not planning on taking the course.

However, today I received the secondary application.... Do you think they just sent it to everyone? I doubt they overlooked the fact that I haven't taken the required course.. right?

A lot of schools will still let you go through the process but then will only offer you admission if you take the class before you matriculate. I don't know how selective they are with secondaries but people in the past have said that they are pretty selective. Who knows though. A lot of colleges have online genetics. It's not a very difficult course.

no,they don't. they screen before they send invites. maybe you can email them back or call and ask to clear up the confusion.

How awkward is their question about your other top choice medical school?

Did anyone else get a weird error when they went to the second page of the application?

I have tried it in all three browsers (IE, FF, Chrome) but I still get the same error every time. It just takes me to a splash page "generic error".

How awkward is their question about your other top choice medical school?

Yeah i felt the same. I just put down my home state school for obvious reasons (cheaper tuition). I hope they don't get offended by that but i bet many would list their home state DO school as at least their top school other than KCUMB of course..lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I still haven't received one. I'm guessing I got screened out. GPA is 3.25s/3.22c.

I still haven't received one. I'm guessing I got screened out. GPA is 3.25s/3.22c.

I haven't received mine yet either. (3.4c/3.6s/33) Maybe they're just slow on some?:xf:

I wouldn't think so. My sGPA is 3.24 and I got the secondary... Either way it does say on their website that they'll make exceptions so I wouldn't even worry about it unless you receive an outright rejection. Even then I'd just email them asking to reconsider.

I emailed them earlier this evening asking if I got screened out. Told them I have a 3.22c/3.25s/33Q.

Does anyone know how many students get to stay in Kansas City (or within 2-3 hours of it) for their rotations?

Any current students care to share their thoughts and experiences on this school? I was looking through the pros/cons of DO schools for something nice to add into my secondary and... well... there were no good reviews of this school. Looking at the website I'm struggling with writing why I would like to go here, as opposed to every other school which a few minutes gives me a wealth of reasons why their school is awesome.

Ok guys. Just got an email back from KCUMB.

MedPR -
We have applications delivered to us on a weekly basis in batches. Your application was in the first batch and we began processing those last week. Your first application had your science and your cumulative GPA below our minimum 3.25 which is an automatic denial of your application. Your update just came in our latest mailing which we have not processed yet (it usually takes about a week or so to process through our system, sometimes more at the beginning of the year). On this newest update, you do know qualify for a secondary application. I will go ahead and make the change now. If you receive a letter of denial in the mail, you can ignore it!

Thanks for checking with us on the issue.

BB

My original stats were 3.20/3.20/33Q. Updated stats are 3.25s/3.22c/33Q. So I guess they're pretty strict about the 3.25 cut off. I mean, I was 0.05 under for GPA, but 10 points over for MCAT and I was still automatically rejected.

I wouldn't think so. My sGPA is 3.24 and I got the secondary... Either way it does say on their website that they'll make exceptions so I wouldn't even worry about it unless you receive an outright rejection. Even then I'd just email them asking to reconsider.

I also have a sGPA of 3.24 and still haven't received one. I guess I will email and ask.

I also have a sGPA of 3.24 and still haven't received one. I guess I will email and ask.

Mine is too. That would be really crappy if we got rejected because of 0.01 of a point below their cutoff. :(

Ok guys. Just got an email back from KCUMB.

My original stats were 3.20/3.20/33Q. Updated stats are 3.25s/3.22c/33Q. So I guess they're pretty strict about the 3.25 cut off. I mean, I was 0.05 under for GPA, but 10 points over for MCAT and I was still automatically rejected.

Great! I'm glad you emailed them and sent them updated info!

I sent them an email with my stats science GPa=3.24, cGPA 3.26 and asked if I would be screened out and this was their reply:
"No, you would not because your cumulative gpa is above the minimum as is your MCAT score".

I sent them an email with my stats science GPa=3.24, cGPA 3.26 and asked if I would be screened out and this was their reply:
"No, you would not because your cumulative gpa is above the minimum as is your MCAT score".
Awesome! That's good news!!

Still nothing from this school and I am above the cut offs.. Maybe they just haven't got to me yet?

Received and submitted!

Yeah i felt the same. I just put down my home state school for obvious reasons (cheaper tuition). I hope they don't get offended by that but i bet many would list their home state DO school as at least their top school other than KCUMB of course..lol

I'm thinking I just might not answer it...

Mine is too. That would be really crappy if we got rejected because of 0.01 of a point below their cutoff. :(
my cum gpa is below 3.25 and I got a secondary last week. If you fall below in just one or two areas I would just call them and ask them to consider other aspects of your application. They seem open to that.

Received a letter in mail today thanking me for applying with a newsletter about why this school is awesome. I thought its weird they send me one since I haven't received a secondary invite yet.

Does anyone know how fee waivers work with KCUMB? Do they accept the AACOMAS fee waiver?

Also, what's with the genesis curriculum I am seeing on their website and in their view book? It's basically a systems-based approach with early clinical contact thrown in, right?

Last edited:
It's gonna be a long wait, guys.... August 15th for interview invites (according to last year's thread).

dang.. just got another piece of snail mail from kcumb... no secondary for me! :(

Damn. Are they snail mailing rejection?

ya, looks like it. "Upon reviewing your file we are unable, at this time, to offer you an invitation to complete our secondary application..." although it says if you become more competitive, revise your info through aacomas and resubmit

ya, looks like it. "Upon reviewing your file we are unable, at this time, to offer you an invitation to complete our secondary application..." although it says if you become more competitive, revise your info through aacomas and resubmit

I guess at least they're giving a second chance...but that still sucks.

Sad day... On the brightside at least they were nice enough to tell you so that you don't have to wait all season and they saved you money on the secondary.... Sorry about the bad news though:(

I guess at least they're giving a second chance...but that still sucks.

Not really it is more asking for a reapplication after the stats improve if you think about it.

Does anyone know how fee waivers work with KCUMB? Do they accept the AACOMAS fee waiver?

Also, what's with the genesis curriculum I am seeing on their website and in their view book? It's basically a systems-based approach with early clinical contact thrown in, right?

send them an email or mail a copy of your award letter.

Sad day... On the brightside at least they were nice enough to tell you so that you don't have to wait all season and they saved you money on the secondary.... Sorry about the bad news though:(

ya and to be honest, a small part of me is a little relieved to not have to do another essay lol

My favorite part about this comment is that you have over 1500 posts... lol :laugh:

LOL

I think he was referring to the allo part -- but that was a typo anyway, I meant to type osteo.

Anywaaaay, I'm excited about this school. :D