1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Kansas City Restaraunt Recs

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by rellik, May 21, 2001.

1. rellik

rellik Member
    10+ Year Member

My wife and I will be making a trip to KC soon in order to buy a house. does anyone have any recommendations on great eats around town??? We like non-chain places and many different ethnic foods!

We thought we would take advantage of eating out before school starts! :p

Let me know what you think????? Thanks.

r :) :) :) :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

If you want to splurge to to Crown Center and take the catwalk across the street to the big hotel. At the top (about the 41st floor) is a revlolving resaraunt (I don't remember its name but maybe the skies. It should be too hard to get into on it is at the top of the Hyatt Regency or something like that)

The food is pretty good, the service is great and you get a fun view of KC.

4. Neurogirl

Neurogirl Resident Extraordinaire
    10+ Year Member

39th street near the University of Kansas Medical Center (take the Rainbow Blvd exit from I-35...south of downtown). Several fantastic ethnic eateries...very hip area. Don't miss "Da Bronx", voted one of the best deli's in the country or the mongolion barbeque next door (sorry I can't remember the name).

Anything in "The Plaza" (47th street and Southwest Blvd)...more touristy...some chains like Cheesecake Factory, Houstons and Ruth Cris but several other restaurants, plus clubs and a movie theater

That should get you started. :D

Neurogirl DO, MPH (It's finally official...WOOHOO!!!!!)

5. dieselkid

dieselkid Member
    10+ Year Member

Arthur Bryant's kicks ass!! Best BBQ you will ever have in Kansas City...and don't let anyone from Texas tell you different.

6. mompremed

mompremed Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Restaurants in KC...where to begin...there are so many, so good!

To start with, the mongolian barbeque (& Chinese cuisine) on 39th St. is called Genghis Khan. Close to it is D'Bronx (already mentioned) and Jazz A Louisiana Kitchen, if you like Cajun cuisine. They have a band on Wed-Sun eves. I haven't tried their red beans and rice, but the red beans and rice at Mill Creek Brewery and Restaurant on Pennsylvania (in the heart of Westport) is to die for!

Speaking of brew pubs, Mill Creek and McCoy's up the street are excellent, as is 75th St Brewery (on 75th!) And if you like middle eastern cuisine, don't miss Jeruselem Cafe in Westport.

For good Chinese food, there are so many options I don't know where to begin. There are tons of "mom and pop" choices in the Westport/Plaza area, all good. But for a bit more upscale, and all you can eat at a reasonable price, try Foo Kee Chinese Buffet, north of the river in Antioch Shopping Center. It is fabulous! and the biggest Chinese buffet I have ever seen! For more elegant dining, there is Bo Ling's on the Plaza, and also P.F. Chang is a must! Don't miss their lettuce wraps for a special treat!

For pizza, try Minsky's, Antonio's, Torre's or Kelso's.

For italian, the Italian Gardens (downtown) or the Olive Garden are a good bet.

For mexican, drive down Southwest Blvd and take your pick among 20 or so, but my personal favorites are Solazteca (more authentic) and Manny's (more upscale and they have traveling troubadours on Fri and Sat night). But the best little mom and pop is Las Chiquitas on Broadway, IMHO.

For steak, don't miss Jess and Jim's in Martin City. A bit of a drive, but well worth it. Also Colony Steak House and Lobster Pot on State Line is good, as well as the ever-present Hereford House and Golden Ox.

Arthur Bryants was already mentioned (I didn't know they were back in business - I must go again!) for BBQ, but also Gates is excellent, as well as Smokehouse BBQ, Rosedale, and if you're down south, Snead's is a good bet, last I knew.

For really, really, REALLY posh dining, the Skies was mentioned and there is also Pierpont in Union Station (a fun trip in itself!) Savoy Grill downtown will provide an elegant, historic atmosphere with your $30+ per person plate.

If you want ethnic, and a major slice of KC history, go visit the 18th and Vine district to see the Gem Theatre, Negro Leagues Baseball Museum. I don't know if there are restaurants there, but Bryant's is not far away. Also, the Blue Room jazz club down there has good jazz if you want to relax with a little bit of history one night.

These are just a few of the really good place to eat that are not chains (that I know of) or that are "chains" that have are unique to KC (that I know of.) In general, the individual (non-national chains) tend to concentrate in the downtown, midtown, Westport/Plaza area and the national chains tend to concentrate in the suburbs.

If you want directions to any of these places, you are welcome to email me and I will do my best to email back in a timely fashion.

Catherine Anderson
    UHS 2006 (hopefully!)

7. rellik

rellik Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks, Cathrine.

Now all we have to do is decide where to go???????!!!!

Thanks,

r

8. mompremed

mompremed Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

r...

We have that same problem, all the time. We just go with what we happen to have a craving for at the time. It always amazes me how sometimes we have a "craving" for Las Chiquitas, and another time a "craving" for Torre's or P.F. Chang. And we're always willing to try something we haven't tried before: I guess you could say eating out is kind of our hobby.

Obviously you won't be able to visit all these in a short visit, but over your time in KC, this might be a list you can start to work through - and this is certainly not a definitive list! I have been all over the country, and I personlly think KC makes a very decent showing where restaurants and night life is concerned, for such a "small" city. But then, I might be just a little prejudiced!

Catherine Anderson
    UHS 2006 (With any luck at all!)

9. bustinbooty

bustinbooty Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Whoever posted Arthur Bryants as a recommendation knows their bar-b-que well. Right on!

10. Charlie

Charlie Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I must say that I agree with Gates fans. Props also to The Peanut and The Skies. Also, for those interested, I think Westport Coffehouse is tops.

Charlie

11. mompremed

mompremed Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey all, I need to post an addendum on the restaurants I recommended. It's been a good long while since I ate at Jess and Jim's, but I ran into a friend who ate there recently and they said it wasn't very good now. I guess the dad retired and the kids took it over and aren't doing well with it. Steaks were tough, etc.

However, another friend told me that the Ruth Chris Steakhouse on the Plaza is simply out of this world, if it's steak you're after! She said you need a reservation, though, and she didn't see any man without a jacket. But everything she and her friends had was "simply devine!"

Happy eating! ;)

12. vtach

vtach Zzzzzz...
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am so disappointed in ya all in KC. Hands down the best place for grub in KC is Stevenson's Apple Farm....I think Harry S. Truman was a regular there too!

13. mompremed

mompremed Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

vtach,

I never said mine was a definitive list! I ate at Stevenson's several years ago, and I didn't think it was anything special. Others think differently, of course, but I thought it was too similar to the Cracker Barrel or Perkins type of place, but maybe it's changed (and those places are good, too if you like good down-home eatin'.)

For the most part, I prefer the strange, unusual, one-of-a-kind places, or at least the "roads less traveled" - unless the food is just absolutely dyn-o-mite! For example, almost everyone I know goes to Stevenson's to pick apples, but we have never gone because we prefer to go up to Weston to Vaughn's Apple Orchard, partly because it's less crowded, and partly because the drive is absolutely gorgeous in the fall - but that's just our preference, and now it's a family tradition.

And speaking of Weston, I hear they have some pretty good wine-tasting up that way. Would love to try that one of these days!

But you're right, lots of people rave about Stevenson's! ;)

14. Kristina

Kristina Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Ah...you all forgot Mesa Wraps in the heart of Westport...ummmmm..and 54th street bar and grill is not to bad. I'm a Zarda fan for bbq (87th and I-35), but enjoy Gates too.

As you can tell, there are MANY choices for restaurants in KC.

Happy Eating...

Kristina Schmidt

15. rtk

rtk Member
    10+ Year Member

Lydia's for Italian!! Get the pasta special: three different pasta dishes, changes every night, served out of the pan at your table (never met a pasta there I didn't like)...

Ponack's on Southwest trafficway for killer Margs

Fish Tacos at Rudy's Tacqueria

Waldo's Pizza for St. Louis style pizza

Le Faux Frog: French quisine (expensive) but great

Stolen Grille in Westport, great bistro

The list goes on and on...

16. mompremed

mompremed Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Maybe all this good eatin' here (plus lack of exercise!) is why Kansas Citian's have a higher rate of obesity than almost any other city in the country! (And heart disease, diabetes, etc., etc., etc.!) Ya think?!? :p

17. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'll move this over to The Lounge for ya! :D