Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essay prompts when available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I am in the process of pre-writing secondaries. Can anybody comment on possibility of secondary changing?

Questions from Last Year
1. Describe your motivation for applying to KCU’s College of Osteopathic Medicine (specifically our institution)(2500words).
2. Describe a time when you had to prioritize multiple obligations in order to be successful (2500Words).
3. Describe a time when you experienced failure. What did you learn about yourself from this experience? (Words)

Guys ! I screwed up. I forgot to take care of the paper work that are due on May 1st. I totally forgot about it . I just received an application withdrawal email. I was admitted in October , and I have been set on attending kcu since then. What shou i do ? Need help asap

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys ! I screwed up. I forgot to take care of the paper work that are due on May 1st. I totally forgot about it . I just received an application withdrawal email. I was admitted in October , and I have been set on attending kcu since then. What shou i do ? Need help asap

Man that stinks you might have better luck on the last years thread (2015-2016).

My only suggestion is to wake up at the crack of dawn and call orientation and/or admissions and plead your case. If you got accepted so early you must be a pretty good applicant.

They would probably like to hear about something other than multiple difficult classes for this prompt, right?

Describe a time when you had to prioritize multiple obligations in order to be successful.

They would probably like to hear about something other than multiple difficult classes for this prompt, right?

Describe a time when you had to prioritize multiple obligations in order to be successful.

Yeah maybe like working a job while in school; or holding a leadership position while keeping your GPA up might be the best route

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just submitted my app to this school. After watching their grand rounds presentation on you tube, I knew I really wanted to come here.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey I've submitted my primaries but it still says "Verifying" after paying on my 'Check Status' tab. My transcripts/LOR have all been completed and verified, anyone know how long this 2nd verification takes?

Hey I've submitted my primaries but it still says "Verifying" after paying on my 'Check Status' tab. My transcripts/LOR have all been completed and verified, anyone know how long this 2nd verification takes?
It may take a few days to a couple of weeks. Just depends on the number of apps they are dealing at the moment.

I submitted my second verification on Friday and it was done this morning.

One test away from MS-2 here, feel free to ask away if you have any questions :)

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Hey thanks for helping us prospective applicants out (in more ways than one Mr. Admin).

I have one question.
As a florida native, one of the enticing factors of this school is the 3rd year clerkship sites in the East Florida region. I was wondering if you knew anyone currently rotating/rotated there or heard anything regarding the quality of these sites.

Thanks again :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks for helping us prospective applicants out (in more ways than one Mr. Admin).

I have one question.
As a florida native, one of the enticing factors of this school is the 3rd year clerkship sites in the East Florida region. I was wondering if you knew anyone currently rotating/rotated there or heard anything regarding the quality of these sites.

Thanks again :)

Of course! Try messagin melioria27 i believe they know about that particular site :)

OOS here and really interested in putting an application in here. I'm a few hours south in Arkansas, so I'm hoping being in the region helps. I have a 3.5 GPA, 504 (67th percentile ~ 28) MCAT, and 1200+ hours as an ER tech. College athlete for two years before a career ending injury too. Hoping for some love from this school! I've heard awesome stuff about the program.

I also have two years of research experience and I've heard this school is very research heavy. Hoping that helps me as well!

Last edited:
OOS here and really interested in putting an application in here. I'm a few hours south in Arkansas, so I'm hoping being in the region helps. I have a 3.5 GPA, 504 (67th percentile ~ 28) MCAT, and 1200+ hours as an ER tech. College athlete for two years before a career ending injury too. Hoping for some love from this school! I've heard awesome stuff about the program.

I also have two years of research experience and I've heard this school is very research heavy. Hoping that helps me as well!

KCU isn't really a regionally focused school, they'll take anyone and everyone (even those from Arkansas ;))

Your academic stats look solid and your clinical experience and other EC's look great. Research is always a plus (seems like 70-80% of our class has had prior research experience).

Shoot your primary in and get your secondary in ASAP but make sure you do a good job on them. I think you have a great shot here.

KCU isn't really a regionally focused school, they'll take anyone and everyone (even those from Arkansas ;))

Your academic stats look solid and your clinical experience and other EC's look great. Research is always a plus (seems like 70-80% of our class has had prior research experience).

Shoot your primary in and get your secondary in ASAP but make sure you do a good job on them. I think you have a great shot here.
Haha! Thanks for the info! I'll definitely be submitting within the next day or so. Do you know if they'll send a secondary without a DO letter? I have one lined up to write me one, but I would love to go ahead and submit my app.

Everything is going to be alright guys. Good luck!!

Anyone receive a secondary yet? I'm still waiting to be verified, but I would love to prewrite if anyone has the prompts.

Just got an email from admissions with it saying,

"Our office typically does not begin to process applications until mid-July so you should receive more communication regarding your application in a few weeks. Thank you for your patience!".

Reactions: 3 users
Hi guys, I have a question regarding the academic requirements for applying under the new dean. I meet all the academic requirements just fine except that my sGPA is a 3.19, but my last 80 credits or so being 4.0. I am in-state and this is my top choice so I really want to at least get my application looked at. Will they screen my app out? I googled the past few years and it seems people were getting accepted without meeting the criteria exactly? Thanks for the help and I'm glad to have joined SDN after lurking for about a decade!

Hi guys, I have a question regarding the academic requirements for applying under the new dean. I meet all the academic requirements just fine except that my sGPA is a 3.19, but my last 80 credits or so being 4.0. I am in-state and this is my top choice so I really want to at least get my application looked at. Will they screen my app out? I googled the past few years and it seems people were getting accepted without meeting the criteria exactly? Thanks for the help and I'm glad to have joined SDN after lurking for about a decade!

With that good of a upward trend and if your mcat, ECs, and other areas are well beyond the minimum standards you def should send an app in :) wouldnt hurt!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, did anyone receive an email from Patricia Harper saying "Medical School Invite"? The email offered a fast tracked admission decision and priority consideration for scholarships and interviews. I was wondering if it was a hoax since I haven't received anything similar from other schools.

Hey, did anyone receive an email from Patricia Harper saying "Medical School Invite"? The email offered a fast tracked admission decision and priority consideration for scholarships and interviews. I was wondering if it was a hoax since I haven't received anything similar from other schools.

I also received this email a month or so ago. I asked about it on SDN and the consensus was that it was promotional based on your MCAT scores.

I also received it as well, but my email system has a folder for promotions and it was in that folder. I didn't apply through it because I received similar emails from other schools in the same folder. Hopefully it's a good sign either way about applying here though!

I got that email. Super excited about this school!

Is there a difference between this program and the branch being opened in Joplin? Also, are we considered for both by applying here?

Is there a difference between this program and the branch being opened in Joplin? Also, are we considered for both by applying here?

The programs are the same. The intended Vision and goal of Joplin is to get physicians to stay in that area. You will choose on your secondary if you prefer on site over the other or if you don't care.

The programs are the same. The intended Vision and goal of Joplin is to get physicians to stay in that area. You will choose on your secondary if you prefer on site over the other or if you don't care.

Awesome! So the curriculum is the same, but I'm guessing rotations differ? Joplin is only 2 or 2.5 hours away from home, so it's very appealing to me for both during and after school.

Awesome! So the curriculum is the same, but I'm guessing rotations differ? Joplin is only 2 or 2.5 hours away from home, so it's very appealing to me for both during and after school.

Curriculum may change by the time you enroll because the dean left. But from what I recall, all students at the Joplin campus will do rotations there at the two affiliate teaching hospitals (freeman and mercy) so that'll be really nice but don't count me word for word on that. I'd call admissions and ask to see exactly how rotations will be at Joplin :)

Curriculum may change by the time you enroll because the dean left. But from what I recall, all students at the Joplin campus will do rotations there at the two affiliate teaching hospitals (freeman and mercy) so that'll be really nice but don't count me word for word on that. I'd call admissions and ask to see exactly how rotations will be at Joplin :)

Definitely will do! I had heard that the KC campus had just adopted an outstanding new curriculum with the new dean this past year. That won't be necessarily the same one being taught at the Joplin campus though? I've read nothing but great things about the new curriculum. Exciting stuff for you guys it sounds like! I'll give them a call this week and see what I can get out of them!

Definitely will do! I had heard that the KC campus had just adopted an outstanding new curriculum with the new dean this past year. That won't be necessarily the same one being taught at the Joplin campus though? I've read nothing but great things about the new curriculum. Exciting stuff for you guys it sounds like! I'll give them a call this week and see what I can get out of them!

Yes the new curriculum has been great but unfortunately, the "new dean" has resigned so the hunt for another one is underway. The current interim dean however (Dr. Johnson) is wonderful, a very nice and respectable physician who loves to teach. So in terms of the curriculum and whether it'll change is still very much up in the air.

Right now the new curriculum is what will be implemented at the Joplin campus until a new dean sets forth some sort of change but that may be years from now.

Is the secondary essay really 2500 words? That's like 5 pages.. 2500 characters sounds much more reasonable.

Has anyone received a secondary from this school?

Not yet! Hopefully soon.

hmmm this is a very stupid question, but is this the same as heritage college? I just submitted the secondary yesterday...

Not too happy with AACOMAS right now. They verified my grades today and told me my cGPA was a 3.32 and sGPA was 3.35. Apparently my retakes the last 3 years after a disastrous freshman year did not count because the course numbers were off by a few numbers (example being CHEM 1314 vs CHEM 1315). My upward trend is 2.24 (ouch), 3.30 (last season of college sports), 3.72, and 3.84. All of my upper level courses are in my last two years as well, but I'm super bummed about my GPA. With the retakes, I should have been ~3.5. Literally wasted my time and money retaking courses for no reason!
:boom:

Not too happy with AACOMAS right now. They verified my grades today and told me my cGPA was a 3.32 and sGPA was 3.35. Apparently my retakes the last 3 years after a disastrous freshman year did not count because the course numbers were off by a few numbers (example being CHEM 1314 vs CHEM 1315). My upward trend is 2.24 (ouch), 3.30 (last season of college sports), 3.72, and 3.84. All of my upper level courses are in my last two years as well, but I'm super bummed about my GPA. With the retakes, I should have been ~3.5. Literally wasted my time and money retaking courses for no reason!
:boom:

Literally same.

@cjcarter and @YoungDoc25 You should appeal the GPA calculations. If the course number changed but the syllabus and course content is the same, you have good grounds to get your GPA straightened up.

Tried. They basically told me I'm SOL since my app has been verified and there's no way to edit anything.

@cjcarter and @YoungDoc25 You should appeal the GPA calculations. If the course number changed but the syllabus and course content is the same, you have good grounds to get your GPA straightened up.

Agreed. I wonder if you can try calling again and seeing what a different representative says. Or even if email might work.

I have classes that are different names and have different course numbers (Gen v.s. Intro Chem, 1100 v.s. 105) and they accepted mine.

Agreed. I wonder if you can try calling again and seeing what a different representative says. Or even if email might work.

I have classes that are different names and have different course numbers (Gen v.s. Intro Chem, 1100 v.s. 105) and they accepted mine.
I paid them to do mine, and they told me today that I was supposed to email them and say that these courses were repeats at different universities (list them all). Yet I paid them to "professionally" do the job, and they for some reason can't see that Gen Chem 1 and Gen College Chem 1 are the same courses. And now that it's verified, there is nothing I can do to correct it besides emailing the programs it was sent to in hopes that they will take my explanaton and change the way they record my GPA. Complete rip off.

I paid them to do mine, and they told me today that I was supposed to email them and say that these courses were repeats at different universities (list them all). Yet I paid them to "professionally" do the job, and they for some reason can't see that Gen Chem 1 and Gen College Chem 1 are the same courses. And now that it's verified, there is nothing I can do to correct it besides emailing the programs it was sent to in hopes that they will take my explanaton and change the way they record my GPA. Complete rip off.

Just to follow up...I emailed every program I already submitted a secondary to. They've pretty much all been cool about it and added the update to my file. All except for CCOM lol.

Has anyone gotten a secondary yet? I just submitted my primary. When I called, they told me that they prescreen applicants.