Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed with Dr. Kruse. Nice guy, laid back. First time it's just been one other person, and my only experience with partial-blind (they only have my secondary.... complete with spelling mistake lol shoot me). I'm kinda torn on this. On one hand I like that they take away the possibility of bias and favoritism which I've DEFINITELY been on the receiving end of at some places *cough NSU cough* but I guess would've liked it if he had some access to my experiences. I REALLY had to make sure I brought up everything I could think of to sell myself. He was pleasant but no super enthusiastic. Maybe he's playing his cards close to his chest but I didn't get that "Accepted" vibe. Meh, who knows.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I totally recommend the Joplin campus! I'm familiar with the area and it's a solid community on the rise. I just got accepted to Joplin today as well!

Reactions: 2 users
Waitlisted. I am below average for their stats though. But not even Joplin? Total bummer. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! Any current students have a list of apartments most students live in (Besides CT..)?

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted! Any current students have a list of apartments most students live in (Besides CT..)?

Some of the places that have been thrown around classmates go to are Cityview is in NKC, which is about 5-10 min away from school, Briarcliff apartments, The Landing at River Market and Market Station.

There are apartments downtown as well as lofts that are even cheaper but usually you need to have a spouse or SO with you who is making a form of income to be eligible for the lofts (search KC lofts online).

Theres also some good places 20-30 minutes away in overland park, lees summit, and blue springs.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
I totally recommend the Joplin campus! I'm familiar with the area and it's a solid community on the rise. I just got accepted to Joplin today as well!

Congrats! Did you chose Joplin as your first choice? I'm really unfamiliar with the area so any info you can share on the campus/community would be greatly appreciated!

I got invited for an interview a few days ago, got into UNE and WVSOM, any reason I should interview here?

I got invited for an interview a few days ago, got into UNE and WVSOM, any reason I should interview here?
awesome city, amazing food, and nice school with a good track record. une and wvsom are kinda ruralish, atleast kcu is more cityish

awesome city, amazing food, and nice school with a good track record. une and wvsom are kinda ruralish, atleast kcu is more cityish

I actually do want to check out Kansas city, it is a bit fa from where I live, which is one of the reasons I am holding back.

I actually do want to check out Kansas city, it is a bit fa from where I live, which is one of the reasons I am holding back.
ya its a ways from home for me as well, but if you can afford it, id take the interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
KCU students and locals I have one night in KC before my interview, any dining suggestions?

KCU students and locals I have one night in KC before my interview, any dining suggestions?

Q39 or Joes KC. Anyplace else would be a travesty of epic proportions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 4 users

They will give you the name of a realtor in the area who can set you up with tours and it's a personalized service. She was awesome and set me up at my place. And it's a free service!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Would you prefer to worship the Lobster Gods or the BBQ Gods?

I interviewed at both UNE and KCU. They are very different but each offer their own strengths. I would suggest going so you can compare and see what fits you best. Only you will know what's the best fit for you.
I personally felt more at home at KCU.

Some of the ones I hear classmates go to are Cityview is in NKC, which is about 5-10 min away from school. Briarcliff apartments are nearby. The Landing at River Market. Market Station.

There are apartments downtown as well as lofts that are cheaper but. usually you need to have someome with you who is making a for. of income to be eligible (search KC lofts).

Theres also a lot of stuff 20-30 minutes away in overland park, lees summit, blue springs.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
HUH??? Put Robbins down when you type so that the prospective students can understand what you are saying. Haha

Hi everyone. I hate to just bud in the conversation like this, but I've received several emails from KCU about applying and having the process streamlined. I'm assuming other people have received this email, but has anyone gone through with the email and applied based on it? Hope this makes sense. Go Cubs!

Whoever is interviewing tomorrow. . . See you there. :) take a deep breath, believe in yourself and ask us Ambassadors all the questions you have!

Reactions: 2 users
Paying my deposit today. If I may... YOLO

Reactions: 4 users
Officially withdrew my application this morning. I hope my interview spot goes to one of you guys! Skimming this thread is making me kinda regret my decision, though :x

Well, I'm sold. This place is perfect. Can't wait to explore more of Kansas City tonight!

Good luck to everybody that interviewed today. Everyone I met was awesome!

Reactions: 6 users
Officially withdrew my application this morning. I hope my interview spot goes to one of you guys! Skimming this thread is making me kinda regret my decision, though :x

Well with where you were accepted I wouldn't be too bummed! Congrats!!'

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi everyone. I hate to just bud in the conversation like this, but I've received several emails from KCU about applying and having the process streamlined. I'm assuming other people have received this email, but has anyone gone through with the email and applied based on it? Hope this makes sense. Go Cubs!

I had already intended on applying here, but I did take advantage of the streamlined process after receiving a similar set of emails.

I love the school so far, and they got me a secondary within the 4 weeks, but today marks 6 weeks since submitting it, and I'm still waiting to hear back. I called Wednesday and was told I would hear something this week. He said they had thousands of applications they're still sitting through and told me to call on Tuesday morning if I haven't heard anything by then.

As far as I can tell, the priority review isn't much faster than the regular review. It makes me wonder if we are in a separate group, which could actually be bad. They'd be reviewing my stats vs people who have way better grades than me. But who knows? This school is very oddly secretive of the admissions process. This is the first time I've seen a school hold info so closely.

Has anybody received any secondaries, II's, acceptances, or other correspondence outside of the Admissions Office's business hours? Or should we all just take a break refreshing our inboxes during evenings and weekends?

Has anybody received any secondaries, II's, acceptances, or other correspondence outside of the Admissions Office's business hours? Or should we all just take a break refreshing our inboxes during evenings and weekends?
everything i received was within 9am-5pm, Mon-Fri

Wow, just wow. KCU was amazing. Before the interview KCU was on the middle of my list but now it is tied for my top choice. My only regret is I choose Joplin over thr KC campus, because I loved KC. Special shout out to Andi and Clair for beimg incredible student ambassadors.

Reactions: 7 users
Well with where you were accepted I wouldn't be too bummed! Congrats!!'

Thanks so much! :) It's definitely a huge weight off my shoulders. I couldn't imagine going through the same wait like I did last cycle ><

Hey current KCU students! @AlteredScale
I am extremely grateful for the acceptance at KC campus :)
I have an important question to ask about pre-reqs...who should I email? I look through the school staff list but I am not sure who to ask.

Thanks!

Hey current KCU students! @AlteredScale
I am extremely grateful for the acceptance at KC campus :)
I have an important question to ask about pre-reqs...who should I email? I look through the school staff list but I am not sure who to ask.

Thanks!

Congrats! I'd email admissions!

I'll be interviewing here soon and wanted to know if anyone knew anything about their DO/MBA program? Just curious and couldn't find any info about it. Is it a 4 year dual degree? Thanks!

Wow, just wow. KCU was amazing. Before the interview KCU was on the middle of my list but now it is tied for my top choice. My only regret is I choose Joplin over thr KC campus, because I loved KC. Special shout out to Andi and Clair for beimg incredible student ambassadors.

Like we talked about . . . Try talking to them about it, they are very receptive, especially for awesome candidates like you. If not, you're still getting the amazing curriculum, many of our amazing faculty are heading over there, and amazing KCU community no matter the campus !

I'll pass on your shout out:)

Well, I'm sold. This place is perfect. Can't wait to explore more of Kansas City tonight!

Good luck to everybody that interviewed today. Everyone I met was awesome!

It was awesome to meet you too, hope you got to explore a little more of KC!

Anyone remember if there is a "family weekend" in the spring for matriculating students? If so when?

Anyone remember if there is a "family weekend" in the spring for matriculating students? If so when?

I believe there is an "Accepted students day" in the Spring for matriculating students, and you can bring your family with you to look at the school and whatnot. From what I can remember from my interview day I believe KCU hasn't finalized a date yet because they want the KC and Joplin campuses to have the event on the same day and they're still working on Joplin development.