Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got an interview exactly 6 weeks (and one day) after my complete email!! So excited.Lizzy mid 60s from the Midwest. Options included November 29th, December 7th and then dates in February.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
That sounds dreadful hahaha, do people hate it?

Also, do many people organically achieve a 94% in classes, or is that typically the result of the curve.

It's possible (especially for PCM), but not likely. When the averages are between 70-80 on exams, you have to kill the exams to get a 94 raw.

Most of the time, id say that if you are getting a 94% in the class raw score, the average in the class is probably 83+ so that there isn't a curve anyways.

The curve is your friend...it leads you to the promise land of A's.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
I turned my secondary in a while back, but didn't get the completion email until October 24. Will interviews fill up before they get to my application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anybody enlighten me on how the interview is performed? I interview on Dec 7th

Can anybody enlighten me on how the interview is performed? I interview on Dec 7th

The interviewer only has access to your secondary essays, so they are truly just trying to get to know you. Just relax and be yourself!

Make sure you have some idea of what the big issues in medicine are (very brief..) I talked ethics at my interview but it was very general.

Last edited:
Super chill, 30 mins exactly at max, they only have your secondary essays
The interviewers only have access to your secondary essays, so they are truly just trying to get to know you. Just relax and be yourself!

Make sure you have some idea of what the big issues in medicine are (very brief..) I talked ethics at my interview but it was very general.
Thanks! Is it two interviewers at separate times? And how did it compare to other schools you interviewed at? Students look happy? Building nice? Good environment?

INTERVIEW 11/29/16 I am DECLINING tomorrow when I get off work. I know you guys want to interview earlier so Im giving you a heads up. I will cancel in the am. Goodluck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! Is it two interviewers at separate times? And how did it compare to other schools you interviewed at? Students look happy? Building nice? Good environment?

Its 1 on1 or 2 on 1. Super chill, just be yourself but don't go too crazy. And what do you mean by happy lol.

I'm really excited about my acceptance here because I forgot to get my free drink from the coffee shop before I left, and I was worried it would never get put to use. But now I know it will.

Reactions: 9 users
I'm really excited about my acceptance here because I forgot to get my free drink from the coffee shop before I left, and I was worried it would never get put to use. But now I know it will.
lucky you, I LOST MY FREE DRINK VOUCHER!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously sucks we can't move Interview dates up when people cancel theirs! The wait until feb is going to be brutal.

Seriously sucks we can't move Interview dates up when people cancel theirs! The wait until feb is going to be brutal.

Look on the bright side, atleast you have MULTIPLE ACCEPTANCES :) !! :clap::soexcited:

Not many people can even say that.

Starting to think that they will fill up interviews before they get to my application :(

Are there any extra curricular fun things that happen at this school? Like intramural sports or anything like that?

Reactions: 1 user
Are there any extra curricular fun things that happen at this school? Like intramural sports or anything like that?

Football, soccer, basketball, running, volleyball, pingpong all happen here. We have indoor rock climbing happening now too.

To current students: do you feel that the exams are very fair and reflect material covered in class? Are they written in a style similar to what you will see on the USMLE/COMLEX?

To current students: do you feel that the exams are very fair and reflect material covered in class? Are they written in a style similar to what you will see on the USMLE/COMLEX?

They are written board style and material is reflective IMO and they are def written in a way similar to USMLE and comlex.

Interviewing on January 19th. The wait is driving me crazy!

Just paid the acceptance fee. So freaking excited to attend this school!!

Reactions: 10 users
I was able to remove my interview date up with them. I just emailed the admissions office and there were 3 openings for me to choose from. I moved up from Jan 19 to Dec 7th

Does the med school you attend/the rotation sights you spend your third and fourth year have much bearing on which state you end up doing your residency in? I live in California and would like to return after med school herefor a residency. I was a little bummed to see that KCU didn't have any rotation sights in my state.

Is coming back to Cali for a residency relatively feasible for me?

Does the med school you attend/the rotation sights you spend your third and fourth year have much bearing on which state you end up doing your residency in? I live in California and would like to return after med school herefor a residency. I was a little bummed to see that KCU didn't have any rotation sights in my state.

I am only reporting anecdotally and don't have experience, but from every physician I've asked the answer is it can. It's just a matter of who you know, and if they know someone who they can talk to and vouch for you. It is just more likely that people know people who are in close proximity to them.

Being from California as well I can tell you at least for me I would not return there for residency or to practice. I think you'll find, just as I have, that the pace of life in the Midwest is much more appealing! That being said if you really want a residency in California it is possible you just need to do 4th year audition rotations at hospitals in the state.

I have an interview coming up here. I was wondering if anybody would inbox me any tips on how to prepare for it. As I understand, it will be a 30 min one-on-one interview? Thanks!

I have an interview coming up here. I was wondering if anybody would inbox me any tips on how to prepare for it. As I understand, it will be a 30 min one-on-one interview? Thanks!
honestly its not really advice but just be yourself. Don't try to be too proper or anything of that nature go in there and make a friend. I literally talked about pancakes and syrup for 10 of the minutes. It is very relaxed closed file just be yourself and you will be great.

Similar to what others have said before, just be yourself and answer the questions they ask honestly. They just really want to know if you are a good fit for them AND if they are a good fit for you! I literally sat there and talked about how much I had moved as a kid for about 15 minutes because my interviewer was in the army and was interested in how that had shaped my life!

honestly its not really advice but just be yourself. Don't try to be too proper or anything of that nature go in there and make a friend. I literally talked about pancakes and syrup for 10 of the minutes. It is very relaxed closed file just be yourself and you will be great.
Did you decide between kcu and Kcom?

you can differ the option to make the December 15th deposit without any consequences?
I'm not sure
I guess I should have worded that better, I will be not accepting my acceptance and notifying KCOM of that.