Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How do we apply for grants and scholarships if we've already decided to attend KCU? Is there a website that has scholarship opportunities? At my interview day I spoke to a guy who got his first year at CT for free on a scholarship. How do I get that sort of hookup?

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed 11/10, hoping to hear back soon.
Anyone know when to expect an answer?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just canceled my interview here for this week. Hopefully one of you can scoop it up and interview earlier. Good luck with the application cycle!
Yeah, I emailed them yesterday around 1600 about moving my interview up from 15 February and I got a call at 0815 this morning about an opening on Wednesday. Maybe this was yours?

In any case, best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed on the first and got the acceptance email 2 weeks ago Tuesday so I would think this week you'd hear based on my experience

Yeah, I emailed them yesterday around 1600 about moving my interview up from 15 February and I got a call at 0815 this morning about an opening on Wednesday. Maybe this was yours?

In any case, best of luck!

Lol that's the one! Glad you got moved up. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone who selected "either" for campus preference received an offer for KC? Really didn't think I would care either way early on in the cycle, but I really liked the KC campus during the interview last week :/

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone who selected "either" for campus preference received an offer for KC? Really didn't think I would care either way early on in the cycle, but I really liked the KC campus during the interview last week :/
Me, but I emailed them after the interview and expressed my desire to attend KC it didn't switch my preference but was added to my file

Yep! I put in either and got accepted at KC.

I have an interview here in Feb but am hoping to move it closer. My question is, when filing out my secondary I was pretty set on joining the military and doing HPSP. On my secondary, I disclosed this as I was very interested in their military medicine track. Now, I'm a lot more unsure of the military. I assume this will be brought up in my interview, does anyone know how heavily this may effect my chances if I tell them I am no longer seriously considering the military?

Glad to know there is someone on the same boat as me. I emailed admissions last week and they replied we'll find out at the latest by this Friday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a group or something where we can start looking for roommates/apartments or is the Facebook group the best way to do that?

Give them a call every few weeks and ask if they have any earlier interview dates that have opened up. Don't let them tell you they don't move people up because that's false!

Yeah I just called them today and got moved to Jan. 24th. Was originally scheduled for March 2nd.

interviewing here soon! can anyone who goes to KCU tell me a little bit more about their curriculum and the little things that sets them apart? Would love to hear a student's (or anyone more familiar with the school) perspective

interviewing here soon! can anyone who goes to KCU tell me a little bit more about their curriculum and the little things that sets them apart? Would love to hear a student's (or anyone more familiar with the school) perspective
When I interviewed there, I found that their COMLEX scores were great (you can google them yourself) and their match list really strong for ACGME and AOA. Only drawback that I saw was research opportunities. (This is from a perspective of an interviewee, not student.)

Systems based application focused. A lot of case based integration. You will do the systems twice (first year is focused on phys/anatomy/biochem/embryo focused, second year path/pharm/clinical medicine). All other courses (osteopathic, clinical medicine application) are integrated well into the systems.

What makes this school stand out is that they want you to succeed in whatever is you want to do. They def do not pigeon hole anyone into primary care and their ability to make the classes succeed in boards so far with the new curriculum has proven itself (last years comlex 30 points above the national average, USMLE avg for the school around 226-227 so right within the SD of the national average, high scores of 258 and 800 on the USMLE and comlex respectively).

They will work you and work you hard. We have classmates at other DO and MD schools and our curriculum is extremely rigorous but it's there to help you succeed not only wth boards but with being a solid medical student altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

IMG_4744.JPG
Sitting in Kansas City enjoying the pasta and lights

Reactions: 8 users
I just ate at a BBQ place called jack spears (I think) in KC and it was amazing! Are you interviewing tomorrow?
Yup! I'm interviewing tommorrow! It's funny that you ate at a BBQ place today because I also ate at a BBQ restaurant called Q39 today lol!

Just landed if anyone wants to grab dinner or something?

I put either and got accepted to KC.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'll be ubering everywhere haha but yeah I'm down! Are you close to campus? I'm at an airbnb not too far from KCU

I'm downtown basically at some hipster coffee place studying haha ask the person you're staying with where a good place to eat is and I can meet you there!

Hi guys! I'm currently scheduled for an interview on 3/07 and looking to move it up earlier. If anybody is planning to withdraw or move their interview, I'd be great if you could PM me. Thank you!

I'm downtown basically at some hipster coffee place studying haha ask the person you're staying with where a good place to eat is and I can meet you there!
I'll be ubering everywhere haha but yeah I'm down! Are you close to campus? I'm at an airbnb not too far from KCU

Best of luck with your interviews! Would have loved to meet up with you all tonight (post-exam) but I have so much to catch up on! :(

Yup! I'm interviewing tommorrow! It's funny that you ate at a BBQ place today because I also ate at a BBQ restaurant called Q39 today lol!

You win! Q39 is better than Jack "Spears" Stack. However they both pale to Joes!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Best of luck with your interviews! Would have loved to meet up with you all tonight (post-exam) but I have so much to catch up on! :(

Meet up with us tomorrow night post interview! Oh and I went to that up/down bar and game place and it's freaking sweet!

II just got it while I was out for dinner with a friend! Set up for March 23rd. It's my first med school cycle and is this kinda late in the DO cycle? Either way super excited, heard so many things about this school on here.

I'm

in the same boat lol
haha I didn't wanna jump the gun, but I have also heard places go pretty quickly. I just don't really know how to go about finding a roommate other than awkwardly posting in the facebook group :p

I have decided to decline my offer of admission to the KC campus. I'm super grateful for the opportunity to stay close to family but I'm bummed I won't get to be classmates with you guys! I know you will all be rockstar physicians and I'm stoked for us all. Best of luck everyone!!

Reactions: 10 users
I have an interview here in Feb but am hoping to move it closer. My question is, when filing out my secondary I was pretty set on joining the military and doing HPSP. On my secondary, I disclosed this as I was very interested in their military medicine track. Now, I'm a lot more unsure of the military. I assume this will be brought up in my interview, does anyone know how heavily this may effect my chances if I tell them I am no longer seriously considering the military?

I am also strongly considering HPSP with the Navy. Their Military Track is something that gets settled prior to matriculation and is ultimately secondary to your admission as a regular medical student. I brought this up when I toured the school over the summer and that is how they explained it to me.

Basically you're just going to interview and be accepted like everyone else. They will know later on if you accept the HPSP scholarship (or HSCP) and then you will have to follow the military track. Should not help nor hinder you either way according to them.

I am also strongly considering HPSP with the Navy. Their Military Track is something that gets settled prior to matriculation and is ultimately secondary to your admission as a regular medical student. I brought this up when I toured the school over the summer and that is how they explained it to me.

Basically you're just going to interview and be accepted like everyone else. They will know later on if you accept the HPSP scholarship (or HSCP) and then you will have to follow the military track. Should not help nor hinder you either way according to them.

Not the original person that posted the question, but I'm applying for the HPSP for the Army branch so this is good to know, thanks!