Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You bet! If I don't get an email saying they got my payment sometime next week then I'll be worried that it should've been 2021 haha
Hopefully someone who already received confirmation email will shed some light on this topic :)

Members don't see this ad.

Btw if anyone is planning on going to KCU there's a KCU class of 2021 thread over in the Osteopathic med students forum

Members don't see this ad :)
As soon as I get paid this Friday, I'm reserving my seat. Can't wait! :D

Reactions: 3 users
Can anyone speak as to the research at KCU? I have an interview at MSU coming up and I'd like to have something to compare against.

Are there any global health track students that could remark about the program. What all it entails and the costs?

Can anyone speak as to the research at KCU? I have an interview at MSU coming up and I'd like to have something to compare against.

MSU is going to take the upper hand on research. When you have a full university backing you that's just how it works!

But right KCU has, about 8-10 active researchers right now. The most active depts for research would be anatomy and neurosciences specifically in the field of ALS. We have a renowned researcher that we recruited from Rush University Medical Center with active NIH funding. The other research professors also have some form of funding as well.

The caveat here is that the curriculum right now does not offer itself to time to do much research the first two years. So best bet is to do research over the summer month M1-M2 (whether you find that at KCU or do it elsewhere) or utilize your elective months in M3-M4 to do more research. This is more than enough time to get at least a poster at a residency research conference or national/regional conference.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Are there any global health track students that could remark about the program. What all it entails and the costs?

I don't believe any of the current SDNers here are global trackers but from what I am aware is that you apply for this track in first year and you have to go through an interview process. If selected you'll be then find a research/faculty mentor and think of a pertinent research project that is related to the track. In third year you then spend a specific amount of time in Africa performing health services to different villages. I believe you will be responsible for some of the cost traveling but you will be provided some financial support.

Hopefully someone who already received confirmation email will shed some light on this topic :)
I got my receipt and I put 2017
i just checked and I also got a confirmation email saying it was paid from the university with reminders of upcoming deadlines

Last edited:
I got my receipt and I put 2017
Is there a place you can look and see if it's completed

There isn't. Just keep your receipt. You will soon start getting "friendly reminder" emails that show what is and what isn't complete.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

MSU is going to take the upper hand on research. When you have a full university backing you that's just how it works!

But right KCU has, about 8-10 active researchers right now. The most active depts for research would be anatomy and neurosciences specifically in the field of ALS. We have a renowned researcher that we recruited from Rush University Medical Center with active NIH funding. The other research professors also have some form of funding as well.

The caveat here is that the curriculum right now does not offer itself to time to do much research the first two years. So best bet is to do research over the summer month M1-M2 (whether you find that at KCU or do it elsewhere) or utilize your elective months in M3-M4 to do more research. This is more than enough time to get at least a poster at a residency research conference or national/regional conference.

So if I'm considering a more competitive sub-specialty do you think KCU will have what it takes to give me that leg up with its rigorous curriculum and possibly some research?

So if I'm considering a more competitive sub-specialty do you think KCU will have what it takes to give me that leg up with its rigorous curriculum and possibly some research?

The curriculum gets you the scores. I think it comes without saying that there's no guarantee that a curriculum will get you a 260 but so far it's done wonders for most of the class that is gone through it.

As for research, as long as you put in the effort, it's there. I went out of my way to get research done (beyond the KCU campus) and made sure that those I was reaching out to could trust me in getting the work done. The alumni base of KCU is huge and so there's a lot of opps to do research and network.

And this is just a little caveat: a lot of people first year thought they were going into urology, optho, plastics, thoracic surgery, ENT, and announced pretty Willy nilly to everyone. Those expectations change when you start to realize you are in the middle of your class and not the top 10%. So make sure you keep an open mind to other less competitive specialties. If you can ONLY see yourself doing some specific surgical subspecialty than it's best to just reapply only MD or find a strong public DO that has the department you are interested in.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi @AlteredScale I am definitely going here come Fall 2017 and was looking into the research aspects of things. I am currently a Public Health grad student doing research in behavioral health and health services. Can I PM you some questions I had?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi @AlteredScale I am definitely going here come Fall 2017 and was looking into the research aspects of things. I am currently a Public Health grad student doing research in behavioral health and health services. Can I PM you some questions I had?

Go for it!

Hey @AlteredScale Do you know how many students will matriculate to each KCU site?
Will they continue to admit 270 students to the KC site? or will they reduce KC enrollment as they allocate individuals to the Joplin site?
I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, I attempted to search back through previous threads but couldn't find the answer.

Hey @AlteredScale Do you know how many students will matriculate to each KCU site?
Will they continue to admit 270 students to the KC site? or will they reduce KC enrollment as they allocate individuals to the Joplin site?
I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, I attempted to search back through previous threads but couldn't find the answer.

Yes they will continue to admit for 270 students for KC campus and admit for 150 for joplin and won't reduce the class size in KC. Usually they admit about twice as many for KC so 540 give or take. :)

So I just called a lab in town and they said all that titers that are required would be $280!!! Is anybody else paying that much??

That's a crazy amount. If you have insurance it should cover some. My PCP is a KCU alum so luckily and amazingly she did it for free. Very lucky with that. But if you have insurance it should be covered since it is for school
I don't have a PCP. I just contacted a local lab in town. I'm not sure if they take insurance?

I don't have a PCP. I just contacted a local lab in town. I'm not sure if they take insurance?

So the Kansas City Health Department provides titers and the hepB series for students I believe. Would give them a call.

So I just called a lab in town and they said all that titers that are required would be $280!!! Is anybody else paying that much??
Wow that's crazy I'm literally having the same exact problem. I ended up just making an appointment with a PCP because there's no way I'm paying $300. The only thing is I can't be seen until February

Got a tetanus booster along with meningococcal for KCU two days ago. The tetanus shot got me feelin' like a stab victim; they weren't kiddin' around when they said it makes you sore!

Im Canadian i didnt need to pay :)
The Canadian healthcare system covers all the immunization costs?? Nice! I'm going to do them this week then. I was waiting for my work insurance to come through but I guess I don't need to now lol.

Last edited:
The Canadian healthcare system covers all the immunization costs?? Nice! I'm going to do them this week then. I was waiting for my work insurance to come through but I guess I don't need to now lol.

Just the blood tests! we have to pay for the meningitis and hepB still :(

Not specifically KCU related post but I will be attending,-- is KC campus more suitable for Macbooks or PC? What are appropriate specs like RAM and amount of space in harddrive? Thanks for any feedback.

Not specifically KCU related post but I will be attending,-- is KC campus more suitable for Macbooks or PC? What are appropriate specs like RAM and amount of space in harddrive? Thanks for any feedback.

Both. There isn't a "better" platform from a campus need perspective. It's all about what you prefer. Keep in mind you will be getting an iPad during orientation week. The current class is probably 60/40 Mac/PC.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

paid the deposit with 1 day to spare, look forward to meeting you guys!

Can any current students tell me the cost of attendance the school uses for loans? Trying to compare costs across schools and I couldn't find the total cost of attendance here!

Can any current students tell me the cost of attendance the school uses for loans? Trying to compare costs across schools and I couldn't find the total cost of attendance here!

Tuition is 43K. You're provided about 27K over the year for CoA.

has anyone had any luck with deferring the deposit?

So does KCU not want a drug screen as part of the pre-matriculation paperwork? I didn't see it on the COM matriculation page.

So I will be officially withdrawing my acceptance from KCU this week. It was my favorite campus but I was accepted to my state school and well $ talks. It's a little heartbreaking. For me KCU was that girl growing up you had a huge crush on, but knew it could never work. You will always have a piece of my heart KCU.

Reactions: 7 users
So I will be officially withdrawing my acceptance from KCU this week. It was my favorite campus but I was accepted to my state school and well $ talks. It's a little heartbreaking. For me KCU was that girl growing up you had a huge crush on, but knew it could never work. You will always have a piece of my heart KCU.

Sorry to hear that :( but congrats on your state school acceptance! I'm sure you deserve every ounce of that acceptance and congratulations!!! Best of luck!

@AlteredScale any insight on how competetive the fellowships are, specifically the anatomy one? is the selection for this based solely on 1st and 2nd year grades?

@AlteredScale any insight on how competetive the fellowships are, specifically the anatomy one? is the selection for this based solely on 1st and 2nd year grades?

They are pretty competitive. A lot of students think doing it is some gateway to land a surgery residency. Really why the fellowship is for is to grow as an educator, get a background in research (you will need to write up a masters thesis), and develop your anatomy/dissection skills even further.

The application process stems through if you had the grades to become a TA/tutor for anatomy, how well you dissect, feedback from your tutees on your teaching skills, as well as a few other things such as an interview with the anatomy dept and what not.

With the new Joplin campus they will need more fellows as well. But competition is still fierce.

Reactions: 3 users
They are pretty competitive. A lot of students think doing it is some gateway to land a surgery residency. Really why the fellowship is for is to grow as an educator, get a background in research (you will need to write up a masters thesis), and develop your anatomy/dissection skills even further.

The application process stems through if you had the grades to become a TA/tutor for anatomy, how well you dissect, feedback from your tutees on your teaching skills, as well as a few other things such as an interview with the anatomy dept and what not.

With the new Joplin campus they will need more fellows as well. But competition is still fierce.

Cool thanks for the feedback! As of right now I'm not really interested in surgery at all but definitely am interested in clinical education, so it's good to know that it's more geared towards that.

Reactions: 2 users

How exactly are these fellowships structured?
I am aware that you have to do another year of schooling... but does this have an effect on your rotation sites? Is tuition affected? Is it just a full year of Anatomy/OMM in between your didactic and clerkship years or are is the curriculum dispersed throughout your years 3 - 5?

How exactly are these fellowships structured?
I am aware that you have to do another year of schooling... but does this have an effect on your rotation sites? Is tuition affected? Is it just a full year of Anatomy/OMM in between your didactic and clerkship years or are is the curriculum dispersed throughout your years 3 - 5?

It's just a yearlong fellowship. The anatomy one is between M2 and M3 (so you delay clerkships for a year and fall back with the class below you in terms of deciding where you will go for rotations). The OMM one is between M3 and M4 where you come back after rotations to do a yearlong fellowship.

For the anatomy one you have roles in the anatomy lab helping with dissection. You also help with teaching specific anatomy related lectures. You will have a research project and will also need to take courses (just like normal masters student). Similar aspects with the OMM one except you also work with the OMM department for an OMM clinic or something.

It's just a yearlong fellowship. The anatomy one is between M2 and M3 (so you delay clerkships for a year and fall back with the class below you in terms of deciding where you will go for rotations). The OMM one is between M3 and M4 where you come back after rotations to do a yearlong fellowship.

For the anatomy one you have roles in the anatomy lab helping with dissection. You also help with teaching specific anatomy related lectures. You will have a research project and will also need to take courses (just like normal masters student). Similar aspects with the OMM one except you also work with the OMM department for an OMM clinic or something.
Don't they pay for your next years tuition as well?

For the OMM one they do I believe. The anatomy one the decided against it because they are giving you a M.S. (but they cover that year you are helping out for).

Just to clarify, for the OMM fellowship, they pay for your fellowship years tuition as well as your final clerkship years tuition?

Rejected pre-interview with low GPA and a 512 MCAT. Non traditional URM.

Accepted to their SMP, though! Unless I get into another med school before the summer, looks like I'll be moving back to KC!

Rejected pre-interview with low GPA and a 512 MCAT. Non traditional URM.

Accepted to their SMP, though! Unless I get into another med school before the summer, looks like I'll be moving back to KC!

On my interview both of my student ambassador tour guides had previously done KCU's masters program and loved it! They also both got in before Christmas following the first semester of the program:)