Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Will anyone be in KC this weekend that would want to meet up for dinner? Going to be in town looking at apartments!

Members don't see this ad.

Around 3.0 cumulative uGPA. I have close to 250 semester hours and 3 degrees when it's all said and done. It would take another 257.1 hours of all A's for me to raise my uGPA to 3.5. :/

I'm obviously pretty non-trad. That will be even lower with grade replacement gone.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thanks for sharing I know the feeling. I have a lot of credits as well. KCUMB screens at a 3.25 GPA. they don't accept many URMs as is. I think they accepted 3 hispanic/latino and 1AA last year. for like 270 seats lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will anyone be in KC this weekend that would want to meet up for dinner? Going to be in town looking at apartments!

Be careful! We supposedly have a terrible ice storm hitting us this weekend and a lot of leasing offices might be closed so definitely call ahead if you're hoping to talk to someone! I'm not a winter person though, so this may end up being nothing for some people haha.

As for CT, a ton of people have dogs here and there is a gated park across the street many use for playing with frisbees and such. Just chiming in though, I totally understand wanting to look elsewhere! Good luck with the apt search!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
CT is very pet friendly, but the surrounding neighborhoods are not. Looking to find somewhere I can take my hyperactive golden retriever on walks lol

There is cliff drive just north of campus where you could walk your dog. I think a lot of students jog on cliff drive and it's reasonably safe, but I don't have any personal experience with it.

Be careful! We supposedly have a terrible ice storm hitting us this weekend and a lot of leasing offices might be closed so definitely call ahead if you're hoping to talk to someone! I'm not a winter person though, so this may end up being nothing for some people haha.

As for CT, a ton of people have dogs here and there is a gated park across the street many use for playing with frisbees and such. Just chiming in though, I totally understand wanting to look elsewhere! Good luck with the apt search!

Thank you for the heads up! I'm going to be making the drive tomorrow afternoon so hopefully I can get there before it gets too bad.

Edit: Never mind going to postpone my trip after seeing how bad the weather advisory is!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi might I ask what was Low? I am trying to figure out if I should waste my money applying their as I am a URM as well and it seems as though they barely accept any URMs.
I'm a urm Cuban to be specific

Any current students doing or considering the global medicine track? It sounds like it would be an interesting program, but I'm curious if the international rotations would hurt your chances if you say wanted to pursue gen surg?

Any current students doing or considering the global medicine track? It sounds like it would be an interesting program, but I'm curious if the international rotations would hurt your chances if you say wanted to pursue gen surg?

Also very interested in this. Do you know any of the details for that track?

Only info I've seen is what they have on the KCUMB website, but hoping to get some student input =D

We just had our first info meeting about this. I
Am not applying for the track, but I know someone who is in it. They had a great time, but you need to be aware that the cost of the trips is out of pocket. You choose your own adventure. KCU has a couple clinics already set up that you can go to, or you can blaze your own trail.

I know the group that just got back from Africa got a lot of local press. As far as helping for residency, I have no data to back up this claim, but I can see nothing but benefit from it no matter what you decide to specialize in.

Reactions: 1 users
We just had our first info meeting about this. I
Am not applying for the track, but I know someone who is in it. They had a great time, but you need to be aware that the cost of the trips is out of pocket. You choose your own adventure. KCU has a couple clinics already set up that you can go to, or you can blaze your own trail.

I know the group that just got back from Africa got a lot of local press. As far as helping for residency, I have no data to back up this claim, but I can see nothing but benefit from it no matter what you decide to specialize in.

Thank you for the reply! I'm definitely keeping my mind open about pursuing that track. Have you heard much about the clinical honors tracks? I know Dr. Kruse talked about them being relatively new, but was wondering if you've heard good/bad things about them so far?

Because of the ice storm my PCP had to cancel my appointment with him today (was going in for titers) and I couldn't be rescheduled until the end of the month. Pretty nervous about that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply! I'm definitely keeping my mind open about pursuing that track. Have you heard much about the clinical honors tracks? I know Dr. Kruse talked about them being relatively new, but was wondering if you've heard good/bad things about them so far?

As a first year, we haven't heard anything about these yet. They have a meeting scheduled near the end of first year to lay that type of stuff out. I'm gonna have to punt this one to @AlteredScale if they are still alive after the heme/onc midterm. I know most of our class is in recovery from our GI midterm.

While we're on the topic of different tracks, is there anyone who can speak to the MBA dual degree program? I'm considering it because it'd be great to have a thorough understanding of the business side of medicine, but I have some concerns. What exactly is the benefit to my career that I'd get by having an MBA? Like, how would I be better off as a physician if I had one? I mean, it isn't needed to go into private practice or anything of that nature as far as I know.

As well, and I could be wrong on this, but aren't MBA's only worth it from a top business school? Like I see ads for MBAs on busses that you can earn in a few months 100% online. They can't all be created equally. What exactly would the value of an MBA from a tiny medical and sciences school be?

Last edited by a moderator:
While we're on the topic of different tracks, is there anyone who can speak to the MBA dual degree program? I'm considering it because it'd be great to have a thorough understanding of the business side of medicine, but I have some concerns. What exactly is the benefit to my career that I'd get by having an MBA? Like, how would I be better off as a physician if I had one? I mean, it isn't needed to go into private practice or anything of that nature as far as I know.

As well, and I could be wrong on this, but aren't MBA's only worth it from a top business school? Like I see ads for MBAs on busses that you can earn in a few months 100% online. They can't all be created equally. What exactly would the value of an MBA from a tiny medical and sciences school be?

I think it goes with any post graduate degree. Even without the MBA and you decide to take a Masters in Psychology, you'd still find it useful beyond academic content (as long as you like it). After all, don't we all believe in life long learning.

Ok, this one I do have first hand knowledge of ....first and foremost, having an MBA will not make you a better physician. But it can give you a competitive advantage when residency application begins.

Behind all of the "glory" of being a physician lies the seedy underbelly that no one ever talks about. Healthcare is big business, of which medical school give you absolutely zero knowledge of.

For me, I have a business background so dedicating a little time to get the dual degree was a competitive advantage. Wether you go into private practice (and if you do, you will want to understand process management and ROI) or plan on becoming a medical director at a non-prof, I want to understand the background. And it gives you options for your post clinical years. Some docs will go into med ed, some go into hospital admin. Having the MBA will open more doors in the future.

Finally, Rockhurst MBA is ranked in the top 25 of business management schools again. This isn't a program that would be considered a diploma mill.

You will have plenty of presentations ( including during orientation week) prior to even having the opportunity to apply.

Reactions: 4 users
Ok, this one I do have first hand knowledge of ....first and foremost, having an MBA will not make you a better physician. But it can give you a competitive advantage when residency application begins.

Behind all of the "glory" of being a physician lies the seedy underbelly that no one ever talks about. Healthcare is big business, of which medical school give you absolutely zero knowledge of.

For me, I have a business background so dedicating a little time to get the dual degree was a competitive advantage. Wether you go into private practice (and if you do, you will want to understand process management and ROI) or plan on becoming a medical director at a non-prof, I want to understand the background. And it gives you options for your post clinical years. Some docs will go into med ed, some go into hospital admin. Having the MBA will open more doors in the future.

Finally, Rockhurst MBA is ranked in the top 25 of business management schools again. This isn't a program that would be considered a diploma mill.

You will have plenty of presentations ( including during orientation week) prior to even having the opportunity to apply.

Wow, this was really inciteful and helped me out a lot. Is there any chance that having an MBA helps in residency placements? If so, I'm sold

Does KCU have a student health plan or do we have to take care of insurance individually?

Does KCU have a student health plan or do we have to take care of insurance individually?

I want to say you get your own if I remember correctly. It's on the website I'm pretty sure!

Edit:just checked and yes you need to get your own.

I want to say you get your own if I remember correctly. It's on the website I'm pretty sure!

Edit:just checked and yes you need to get your own.

Thank you! just concerned about upcoming policy changes. Hopefully it works out!

I'd love to see proof that an MBA provides an advantage in getting a residency. Probably only helpful after residency when you are practicing and making business decisions.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I'd love to see proof that an MBA provides an advantage in getting a residency. Probably only helpful after residency when you are practicing and making business decisions.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

There's survey that a bunch of residency directors took to rank the importance of different factors playing a role in selecting potential residents to interview.. I've seen it referenced a few times on here. I wonder if this type of thing might be on that list (I don't remember.)

I'm interested in pursuing a dual degree, and would be more likely to commit if residency programs looked favorably upon them.

EDIT: Found that list.. no mention of masters degrees in the list unfortunately: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/NRMP-2016-Program-Director-Survey.pdf

Last edited:
I'm pulling for the Chiefs in this next game. Kansas City is a winner's town, that's why I'm going to KCU!

I'm pulling for the Chiefs in this next game. Kansas City is a winner's town, that's why I'm going to KCU!
Now that my Cowboys are out, I'm going with the Chiefs all the way (only team I halfway like that's left in this thing)

Look at how dope KC looks in preparation for this game.

IMG_1226.JPG

Reactions: 7 users
Now that my Cowboys are out, I'm going with the Chiefs all the way (only team I halfway like that's left in this thing)
That worked out well ....

I called today and the Admissions officer I spoke to today advised me that the class is almost full. She added that all interview dates for the rest of the year are full and they are not planning to add any more dates any time soon - just fyi!

I called today and the Admissions officer I spoke to today advised me that the class is almost full. She added that all interview dates for the rest of the year are full and they are not planning to add any more dates any time soon - just fyi!

Was this for both Joplin and KC?

Uh oh. This makes me nervous! I interview on Thursday, hope I still have a chance for KC campus...

Withdrew my acceptance yesterday. So bummed I'm never gonna have q39 again. Hopefully it goes to one of you guys!

Can confirm. I also called. Also switched to an earlier interview date since I don't want to be interviewing for a waitlist spot.

Well hopefully they have pretty good mex food in Reno! Good luck!
Haha the bbq is where Reno is lacking. Thank you, good luck to you too! Hope you have an amazing time in Kansas City.

Withdrew my acceptance yesterday. So bummed I'm never gonna have q39 again. Hopefully it goes to one of you guys!

Congrats on your acceptance and best of luck!!!!

PS. At least Reno will have some bomb Mexican food hopefully!

Is Kansas City well known for any other types of foods besides BBQ?

There's a lot of hipster places here so a lot of these "farm-to-table" places are awesome. There's a small Mexican population and southwest blvd as well as some areas near KU are legit like being back in San Diego for some Mexican food.

Also there's some awesome places for pho, Ethiopian, and Indian food.

It's quite a gestalt of varieties I must say.

Reactions: 3 users
I interview Jan 24. Stat ( Mcat:498 and GPAs: 3.6, GPA non-science: 3.91). what do you guys think my chance of getting accepted assuming the interview goes well? Thanks.

I'm surprised you got an interview. I mean obviously your GPA is great but KCUs website says they have a cut off of 501 for the MCAT. But that being said if they did make an exception for you, that's maybe a good sign? In any case best of luck
Yeah. My Mcat score is below their average.

Yeah. My Mcat score is below their average.
If you got an II they believe you're qualified to do the work in med school so don't worry too much about your MCAT. I noticed you've already been accepted which is also a good sign! May I ask where to?

If you got an II they believe you're qualified to do the work in med school so don't worry too much about your MCAT. I noticed you've already been accepted which is also a good sign! May I ask where to?
I have been accepted to three schools so far. (WVSOM, Row-SOM and ARCOM). But I really want to go KUCCOM because it is cheaper and closer to me.