Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the reply! I filled it out prior to my II and put that I did not have a preference (because I wanted to increase my chances by being open to both campuses at the time). But after the interview, I really liked KC and am hoping that I can get in there if accepted.

Guess I should have been more specific and asked how they choose which campus we get placed in if we put no preference on the survey. Does anyone know?
I remember when I interviewed, the Joplin dean said that if you didn't put a preference, the admissions committee would put you where they thought you were a better fit. I'm assuming this means rural area vs. city, but I really don't know.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,

I was hoping that someone who interviewed in the later session (10-4:30) could comment on how close to 4:30 they actually got out.

To make a long story short: I am interviewing this week and had to change my travel plans last minute due to an issue with my departure, and the only return flight I can book (without spending an excessively large amount of money) leaves MCI at 5:30. I know the school says to contact them 5 days in advance if there may be a travel issue but its currently the weekend so ill have to wait until monday unfortunately.

I was hoping someone who interviewed already could comment on the likelihood that I get out on time/early to make my flight

Hi there,

I was hoping that someone who interviewed in the later session (10-4:30) could comment on how close to 4:30 they actually got out.

To make a long story short: I am interviewing this week and had to change my travel plans last minute due to an issue with my departure, and the only return flight I can book (without spending an excessively large amount of money) leaves MCI at 5:30. I know the school says to contact them 5 days in advance if there may be a travel issue but its currently the weekend so ill have to wait until monday unfortunately.

I was hoping someone who interviewed already could comment on the likelihood that I get out on time/early to make my flight

When I interviewed, they said we could leave right afterwards. I think I was out an hour or two ahead of time. I was in the second interview group though.

I don't know how late the last group got out, but I would say your chances of getting out early are pretty high as long as you aren't in the last group.

When I interviewed, they said we could leave right afterwards. I think I was out an hour or two ahead of time. I was in the second interview group though.

I don't know how late the last group got out, but I would say your chances of getting out early are pretty high as long as you aren't in the last group.

I was one of the lucky ones in the latest group we got out I want to say like 4:15? OP I'd call the admissions office and see if they can put you in one of the earlier groups!

Hi there,

I was in the last interview group and I got out at pretty much exactly 4 - made it to the airport by 4:15 ish - my flight was at 6. I know that if you tell someone when you arrive on interview day that you have an early flight, they will put you in an early interview group.

So I know most of the students live in Century Towers. Are you guys happy with the room sizes and amenities? Are there other places besides CT that students get an apartment in?

Also, I'm a pretty big gym addict. Any good off-campus gyms that have a decent amount of equipment and squat racks? Getting into olympic weightlifting so I also wouldn't mind joining a crossfit gym.

So I know most of the students live in Century Towers. Are you guys happy with the room sizes and amenities? Are there other places besides CT that students get an apartment in?

Also, I'm a pretty big gym addict. Any good off-campus gyms that have a decent amount of equipment and squat racks? Getting into olympic weightlifting so I also wouldn't mind joining a crossfit gym.

I think there's two crossfit gyms in KC. A lot of people go to either planet fitness or One Life Gym downtown.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have a question about third and fourth year rotations.

So I know that KCU has numerous spots in 11 different states, but what information/resources do the students have on the different sites when making their decision on where they'd like to go and putting together that list?

Like what sorts of things need to be taken into account when picking a rotation site? How does one site seperate itself from another, what needs to be taken into account?

I went through the list of sites and all I know is that West Palm Beach is number one for me because I like partying and Manitowoc, Wisconsin is at the very bottom because I watched "Making a Murderer" on Netflix last year.

Reactions: 4 users
I completed my FAFSA today, but I'm hesitant to submit because I'm afraid I messed something important up (first time doing it by myself.)

Is there a way to check it first before you submit?

I have a question about third and fourth year rotations.

So I know that KCU has numerous spots in 11 different states, but what information/resources do the students have on the different sites when making their decision on where they'd like to go and putting together that list?

Like what sorts of things need to be taken into account when picking a rotation site? How does one site seperate itself from another, what needs to be taken into account?

I went through the list of sites and all I know is that West Palm Beach is number one for me because I like partying and Manitowoc, Wisconsin is at the very bottom because I watched "Making a Murderer" on Netflix last year.

Well for sure. Please don't use those as actual reasons. Here's what you should consider:

1) preceptor based (more clinic and outpatient time usually) or ward based (more inpatient).

2) Residencies. Some sites have more clerkship sites where you spend time with residents. If you have a preceptor based surgery rotation you may have more opportunity to have more hands on experience like being first assist.

3) driving distance. There's a lot of driving at KC and WPB sites almost an hour out.

4) other: CO requires an OMM rotation. KC requires a rural out of town rotation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well for sure. Please don't use those as actual reasons. Here's what you should consider:

1) preceptor based (more clinic and outpatient time usually) or ward based (more inpatient).

2) Residencies. Some sites have more clerkship sites where you spend time with residents. If you have a preceptor based surgery rotation you may have more opportunity to have more hands on experience like being first assist.

3) driving distance. There's a lot of driving at KC and WPB sites almost an hour out.

4) other: CO requires an OMM rotation. KC requires a rural out of town rotation.

Which of the sites allow the most students? I am guessing some only accept a few people which might make it more competitive? Do most people want to stay in KC?

Anyone else interviewing here 2/16?
Also, for those who interviewed in January, do you know how many seats have already been filled/will be filled?
Thanks!

Which of the sites allow the most students? I am guessing some only accept a few people which might make it more competitive? Do most people want to stay in KC?

KC for sure. The school just joined with HCA to increase clerkship spots by 100 so it'll be even greater in the following years.

I'm liking that KCU has all three of its Derm, an Ortho, an ENT, 2/3 Gen Surg, and 1/2 Emergeny Med program on track for ACGME accreditation. (http://opportunities.osteopathic.or...sionid=D8C39B621EED4A4B85B518FBD5D8E9C8.cf103)

The Des Peres Ortho and ENT programs just say "Working on ACGME App" but not participating in the 2017 AOA match. Does this mean they are closing for good or just temporarily closing?

I'm liking that KCU has all three of its Derm, an Ortho, an ENT, 2/3 Gen Surg, and 1/2 Emergeny Med program on track for ACGME accreditation. (http://opportunities.osteopathic.or...sionid=D8C39B621EED4A4B85B518FBD5D8E9C8.cf103)

The Des Peres Ortho and ENT programs just say "Working on ACGME App" but not participating in the 2017 AOA match. Does this mean they are closing for good or just temporarily closing?

I believe what has happened is that the AOA has set a rule that if a program has not applied for ACGME accreditation that they will not be able to participate in the upcoming match. There was changes in these rules which made it a little more confusing. @hallowmann do you have any other information on this?

I believe what has happened is that the AOA has set a rule that if a program has not applied for ACGME accreditation that they will not be able to participate in the upcoming match. There was changes in these rules which made it a little more confusing. @hallowmann do you have any other information on this?
Some programs that have "Working on ACGME app" are still participating in the 2017 AOA match. Des Peres programs are not. Hopefully they pull through and ACGME accred.

Some programs that have "Working on ACGME app" are still participating in the 2017 AOA match. Des Peres programs are not. Hopefully they pull through and ACGME accred.

I believe the changes were only to specific programs. Like IM or FM programs still working on the application can still participate whereas ortho and ENT cannot simply because of the timing (they are both 5-6 year programs and therefore, if they enrolled residents and ended up closing, those residents would not be able to graduate and would have to transfer, wherease 3 yr programs have until 2020 to apply and thus can still graduate residents who start in their program in 2017).

The AOA requirement designates specific deadlines for programs based on when they would finish training of matched residents. If programs don't apply by the designated deadlines for their specialty, then they are barred from participating in the AOA match, because they would be accepting residents that wouldn't be able to finish prior to the end of the transition period (i.e. while the programs still have AOA accreditation - which will cease to exist on June 30, 2020).

ENT and Ortho are specialties that were required to apply for ACGME accreditation by Jan 1st, 2017 in order to participate in the 2017 AOA match. Any of those programs that failed to apply by that time are barred from participating in the 2017 match. For those programs, obviously they could temporarily stop accepting residents, only to apply and be on track for accreditation in the future, or its very possible they won't be applying or continuing to accept residents. Its really not clear, but I'd consider it risky to expect those programs to stay around in the future.

Other specialties that have the deadline in Jan 1st 2018 include FM, IM, Derm, Peds, etc. Those still have another 11 mos to apply in order to participate in the 2018 match.

Here is the document describing the New AOA standards: https://www.osteopathic.org/inside-...g-standards/Documents/Basic-Doc-Section-X.pdf

EDIT: Also according to this release from the AOA, programs can still accept residents outside of the AOA match provided that they demonstrate that they have (after the deadline) applied for ACGME accreditation and have pre-accreditation status.

It also mentions that if a program accepts residents without applying, they may be subject to immediate review of accreditation with a result of possible withdrawal of residency accreditation from the AOA.

For more info: http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-a...tem/Pages/guidance-for-training-programs.aspx

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Can you ask KU/UMKC professors to be involved in their clinical research ? How much clinical research is available at kcu?

Also on a side note, what kind of equipment does the Ct gym have?

Yes you can ask them and it is possible but you have to remember that their own KU and UMKC med students take priority over you so you will need to be persistent.

I do not know of any clinical research available to MS1 and MS2 students. None of our physician professors who teach us clinical medicine truly do clinical research. The only type of research close to clinical that is performed by our professors would be Osteopathic manipulative medicine.

anyone else still need to do FAFSA stuff? really need to get on that soon haha

Anyone know when the deadline is to pay the matriculation fee after the acceptance email? The acceptance email told me to wait 5-7 business days for further information to go about the process.

Does anyone know when you should get on the CT waitlist before it's too late?

you should literally get off SDN and do it now haha

EDIT: Sorry that sounded harsher than I meant it to be but it really only takes like 5 minutes haha. It's worth it to just get it over with.

Just finished it the other day. It takes 10-15 minutes tops. It was my first time ever doing it myself. It's not bad!

haha no offense taken guys/gals. glad to hear it can be done quickly so I will definitely get it out of the way today or tomorrow.

Anyone else interviewing here 2/16?
Also, for those who interviewed in January, do you know how many seats have already been filled/will be filled?
Thanks!
Plenty of spots for you, they wouldn't waste your time:) HAVE FUN! Let me know if u have any questions!

Quick question, do they give you any kind of tote bag or something similar to carry materials in on interview day? And how much walking is involved with the campus tour? Thanks!

Quick question, do they give you any kind of tote bag or something similar to carry materials in on interview day? And how much walking is involved with the campus tour? Thanks!
No papers or anything. They like to keep everything simple. They do give you a free t-shirt! As for walking, it was not bad, but coming from FL, I was cold as hell walking around!

No papers or anything. They like to keep everything simple. They do give you a free t-shirt! As for walking, it was not bad, but coming from FL, I was cold as hell walking around!
Thanks! I'm coming from California so I'm going to try not to freeze! How is the amount of walking? I'm going to be wearing heels and just want to prepare myself for the amount of pain haha

Thanks! I'm coming from California so I'm going to try not to freeze! How is the amount of walking? I'm going to be wearing heels and just want to prepare myself for the amount of pain haha
I would recommend booties. they are much more comfortable to walk in and keep your feet from freezing.

I would recommend booties. they are much more comfortable to walk in and keep your feet from freezing.
Thanks, but I'll actually be interviewing tomorrow so I'll just prepare for suffering and a foot bath tomorrow night!

Nothing far at all honestly. The campus is all close together so you should be fine!

Amount of walking isn't too bad! I wore heels and survived with very minimal pain. Also, the weather there wasn't too bad when I interviewed last week. I was pleasantly surprised since I'm from California too and was expecting to freeze. Good luck :)

SO I wanna stay ahead of the game and get all of my required documents out of the way. I haven't received an email yet about what I need to do, but for example, vaccinations, what should I be doing in terms of getting them UTD and getting immuno titers and whatnot?

SO I wanna stay ahead of the game and get all of my required documents out of the way. I haven't received an email yet about what I need to do, but for example, vaccinations, what should I be doing in terms of getting them UTD and getting immuno titers and whatnot?

Just did this myself. You can schedule an appointment with your primary physician and he/she will help you complete the forms. I had my titers drawn a few months ago, so I was able to provide those to my doc when I saw him. He then looked back on all of the vaccinations I've had since I was a child and filled out the form accordingly. Some shots (I think tdap and meningococcal) require vaccination within the last 5 years, so I had to get a new dose of those while I was there. If you haven't had your titers drawn in a while you may have to schedule more than one appointment cuz labs

you should literally get off SDN and do it now haha

EDIT: Sorry that sounded harsher than I meant it to be but it really only takes like 5 minutes haha. It's worth it to just get it over with.

So I did FAFSA in early January. When will we hear from KCU about how much we'll be awarded? Also, will this cover living expenses too or just tuition? I was fortunate enough to not have to do this for my undergrad so I'm kind of a n00b.

So I did FAFSA in early January. When will we hear from KCU about how much we'll be awarded? Also, will this cover living expenses too or just tuition? I was fortunate enough to not have to do this for my undergrad so I'm kind of a n00b.

Living expenses come from the Grad Plus loan; FAFSA only covers cost of attendance.

FAFSA is the first part, we still have to apply for loans on NetPartner. Stafford Graduate Loans cover tuition and Grad Plus Loans cover living expenses. I think we just have to wait for the 2017-2018 NetPartner application to open before we do anything.

http://www.kcumb.edu/admissions/financial-aid/process

Last edited:
did anyone else get the email saying there is no more spots open for interviews? Im so confused I see ppl getting II yet I got that email saying they are all booked in their spots thus far..

Does anyone know when you should get on the CT waitlist before it's too late?

The sooner the better! Don't wait. You might wanna call to get an idea of how long the waitlist is. Gia always said if you're one of the first 100, you should be fine (depending on what unit you want). Or find someone who's looking for a roommate. Check the FB group for possible roommates. But I seriously recommend NOT waiting if you want to secure an apt.

did anyone else get the email saying there is no more spots open for interviews? Im so confused I see ppl getting II yet I got that email saying they are all booked in their spots thus far..

Yeah, I received that email in November or December and then got an II in January. I was confused but happy. They're either adding more dates or people are cancelling.