Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I got my II back in December and the only open date was in early April. Now I've seen several people get IIs after me and get scheduled much sooner. One of my friends who submitted a week after me got his II after me as well and was able to schedule for early January and has already been accepted. Anyone have any idea what happened?

Members don't see this ad.

So I got my II back in December and the only open date was in early April. Now I've seen several people get IIs after me and get scheduled much sooner. One of my friends who submitted a week after me got his II after me as well and was able to schedule for early January and has already been accepted. Anyone have any idea what happened?

Same, because they got spots as others gave them up.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
SO guys, is it the acceptance fee due in a month (email says 15th) or is it BOTH the acceptance fee and the matriculation fee due that day, coming up to a $2000 deposit? Shoot, I got 1k saved up, but not 2k.

Members don't see this ad :)
SO guys, is it the acceptance fee due in a month (email says 15th) or is it BOTH the acceptance fee and the matriculation fee due that day, coming up to a $2000 deposit? Shoot, I got 1k saved up, but not 2k.

https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/2017_kcu-com.pdf?sfvrsn=10

So as you know, there are two separate fees (the acceptance and matriculation fee). The acceptance fee due date will vary depending on when you were accepted. See page 2 on the link above for confirmation of when your acceptance fee is due. I believe the matriculation fee is due on March 1st for all applicants.

Anyone know the feasibility of doing research during summers and/or during the semester? I know KCU curriculum is pretty tough that research as an EC can be hard to juggle alongside schoolwork, but do students still do so anyway? Also any possibility of getting research position over the summer at, lets say for the hell of it, WashU?

Anyone know the feasibility of doing research during summers and/or during the semester? I know KCU curriculum is pretty tough that research as an EC can be hard to juggle alongside schoolwork, but do students still do so anyway? Also any possibility of getting research position over the summer at, lets say for the hell of it, WashU?

You can and students do do research, but there is only bench research on campus. If you reach out to UMKC and KUMC you can find clinical research. For the specifics I'll punt to @AlteredScale

Reactions: 2 users
You can and students do do research, but there is only bench research on campus. If you reach out to UMKC and KUMC you can find clinical research. For the specifics I'll punt to @AlteredScale

That basically sums it up. The curriculum make its very difficult to do bench research effectively because of the pace of exams competencies and other stuff. Most can and will do research third and fourth year since you get research elective time.

As a reminder, persistence is key. You can reach out to UMKC and KU Med to do research but you need to realize that their medical students are first priority so getting a response and/or a yes will be difficult.

I reached out to alumni of KCU who are doing research I was interested in. Just gotta look around.

You only get 1 month off between m1 and m2, I you wanna go and burn it by doing research at WashU feel free to do it! But just know that's your last summer vacation for the rest of your life. So if you're burnt out, I'd err on the side of avoiding that.

Also another thing is that with only 4 weeks off, most medical student research fellowships like HHMI, ASF, CCFA, ACS are basically not on the table since they all require 8-10 weeks of dedicated time (meaning you can't be in school and doing this since they want your full commitment to get the most out of it).

You only get 1 month off between m1 and m2, I you wanna go and burn it by doing research at WashU feel free to do it! But just know that's your last summer vacation for the rest of your life. So if you're burnt out, I'd err on the side of avoiding that.

Also another thing is that with only 4 weeks off, most medical student research fellowships like HHMI, ASF, CCFA, ACS are basically not on the table since they all require 8-10 weeks of dedicated time (meaning you can't be in school and doing this since they want your full commitment to get the most out of it).

Do you feel the curriculum is worth it vs being able to have the summer off to do research at other schools?

Do you feel the curriculum is worth it vs being able to have the summer off to do research at other schools?

I think so just because once you get the hang of things you can do some case reports or what not as an M1 and M2, just have the be good with time management and be willing to take some long nights to write or do the data mining.

Also because there's research electives M3 and M4 you can still do research.

Just as an FYI, curriculum may change a bit with the new dean from TCOM starting soon.

I think so just because once you get the hang of things you can do some case reports or what not as an M1 and M2, just have the be good with time management and be willing to take some long nights to write or do the data mining.

Also because there's research electives M3 and M4 you can still do research.

Just as an FYI, curriculum may change a bit with the new dean from TCOM starting soon.

Do you see that as a good or bad thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh sorry should've specified haha the changes!

Hahaha no worries. I think it'll be a good change. Boards are important but to make it so that doing anything else I think is a bit counterproductive in allowing students to pursue their interests and explore early. I mean that is why you see so many MD schools altering their curriculum to a 1.5 year preclinical, increasing clinical exposure time, and allowing for more freedom to find your interests and have am entire to guide you in building yourself all around as a good physician. The new dean has a very strong background in teaching and a focus on community health research and by word of mouth, has said that he wants students to first and foremost, take care of patients to the best of their ability and that that trumps being number one in board scores. Obviously I don't think that means they will throw the current curriculum to the wayside but I can see some big adjustments occurring allowing students to get much more clinical exposure and hopefully more time to do things like research, community service, etc (which are things you can do now but again, not a lot of time).

Hahaha no worries. I think it'll be a good change. Boards are important but to make it so that doing anything else I think is a bit counterproductive in allowing students to pursue their interests and explore early. I mean that is why you see so many MD schools altering their curriculum to a 1.5 year preclinical, increasing clinical exposure time, and allowing for more freedom to find your interests and have am entire to guide you in building yourself all around as a good physician. The new dean has a very strong background in teaching and a focus on community health research and by word of mouth, has said that he wants students to first and foremost, take care of patients to the best of their ability and that that trumps being number one in board scores. Obviously I don't think that means they will throw the current curriculum to the wayside but I can see some big adjustments occurring allowing students to get much more clinical exposure and hopefully more time to do things like research, community service, etc (which are things you can do now but again, not a lot of time).

Hmm that's interesting. Any chance he decides to change to the 1.5 year model?

I hope that means no big robbins assigned readings for the incoming class.

I hope that means no big robbins assigned readings for the incoming class.

And I'll be honest. The hardest adjustment is end of M1 beginning of M2. After that you have a system and it's not bad to read it.

Reactions: 1 users
LOL you gotta talk to The Man and that's Dr Puthoff. I seriously doubt he'd change his way of teaching path.

I have a good idea! Everyone from Class of 2019 and 2020 should gift him a copy of medium robbins. He'll get the message lol.

I have a good idea! Everyone from Class of 2019 and 2020 should gift him a copy of medium robbins. He'll get the message lol.

HAHAHA if only. It's been his teaching style since he was at RVU and TCOM and I think a big reason why they keep it that way is because he wants to push you and he was the director for the pathology board for question writing for both comlex and USMLE.

It is challenging to do research and balance the curriculum, but it is definitely not impossible. I'm a current first year and am involved in research and am in the top 5% of the class. I usually am in the lab/doing work related to it about 5-10 hours a week. I'd suggest reaching out early to a professor at KCU if you want to get involved.

It is challenging to do research and balance the curriculum, but it is definitely not impossible. I'm a current first year and am involved in research and am in the top 5% of the class. I usually am in the lab/doing work related to it about 5-10 hours a week. I'd suggest reaching out early to a professor at KCU if you want to get involved.

Dr Seidlers or Dr Zhous lab?! Lol

Question for current students:

How much do you take out in loans per year? Like I get that the tuition straight up is 44k, but additional to that how much do y'all take in loans? I plan on living in CT so my rent should be about $550 per month.

I've seen the estimates on KCU's website and I kind of think they may be a bit of an overestimate and I kind of want the opinions of actual students. If I recall correctly I think they recommend like 75k per year which seems steep to me, I think I could get by fine on ~65k, I'm frugal enough I guess

Question for current students:

How much do you take out in loans per year? Like I get that the tuition straight up is 44k, but additional to that how much do y'all take in loans? I plan on living in CT so my rent should be about $550 per month.

I've seen the estimates on KCU's website and I kind of think they may be a bit of an overestimate and I kind of want the opinions of actual students. If I recall correctly I think they recommend like 75k per year which seems steep to me, I think I could get by fine on ~65k, I'm frugal enough I guess

You can take out full loans and whatever you don't spend you can give back so it didn't count against you.

I'm married and have a kid (a French bull dog) and so I take out full loans but my wife helps out a lot.

You can take out full loans and whatever you don't spend you can give back so it didn't count against you.

I'm married and have a kid (a French bull dog) and so I take out full loans but my wife helps out a lot.

Ok, I will take that first thing you said unde consideration. I have a total of zero wives and/or children so I guess we have different financial situations

Can anyone speak to the housing options available for those who will be attending the joplin campus? Will there be on campus housing or will students have to commute to and from campus?

Sent from my SM-G930T using SDN mobile

Can anyone speak to the housing options available for those who will be attending the joplin campus? Will there be on campus housing or will students have to commute to and from campus?

Sent from my SM-G930T using SDN mobile

There will not be any on campus housing but the school should email you information about specific areas for housing. I would contact the admissions dept for more detail.

If anyone in here has already been accepted into medical school and lives in Kansas City, I am trying to sell two First Aid books. I know this means nothing to you right this second, but come day 1 of classes, you should have this book.

If you don't know what First Aid is, it is a boards review textbook that pretty much has all the highest yield material for boards. Sure, you won't take boards till the end of second year, but using the book DURING classes is a MUST because it highlights the most important stuff for your classes as well. Send me a PM if interested. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

If anyone in here has already been accepted into medical school and lives in Kansas City, I am trying to sell two First Aid books. I know this means nothing to you right this second, but come day 1 of classes, you should have this book.

If you don't know what First Aid is, it is a boards review textbook that pretty much has all the highest yield material for boards. Sure, you won't take boards till the end of second year, but using the book DURING classes is a MUST because it highlights the most important stuff for your classes as well. Send me a PM if interested. Thanks!

Can i get the 16 one for free.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Interviewed here and though I agree with previous posts that the area seems a little sketched (not unbearable), I absolutely loved the students. However, I don't think I did too hot on the interview. Anyone know if I can do anything to help my odds?

Is it true the first few floors of CT is like a criminal processing center? I spoke to a DO who gave me my Hep b shot who was considering going there and she told me that lol

Scheduled to interview 2/22... anyone know if this is for a waitlist spot, or is there a shot at an acceptance?

I just made a doctor's appointment for 2/21, am I screwed for immunizations?

My insurance changed recently, can't go to my old PCP, urgent cares don't accept my insurance and most don't offer the immunizations.

Hoping that my new doc can do all of the ones I need.

I just made a doctor's appointment for 2/21, am I screwed for immunizations?

My insurance changed recently, can't go to my old PCP, urgent cares don't accept my insurance and most don't offer the immunizations.

Hoping that my new doc can do all of the ones I need.

I think you'll be fine but you should email the school. I emailed admissions about it because I was worried about not finishing hep b on time. They said I could send the first 2/3 before the may 1st deadline and do the titers after

Finally filled out my FAFSA! However, there is one thing i am concerned about. I just received in my email a confirmation of my FAFSA submission and it says "based on eligibility criteria, I am eligible for the following: Direct Stafford Loan Estimate: $20,500." It says i may also be eligible for other loads as a disclaimer and I have yet to submit my NetPartner application, but I am going to be dependent on full financial aid, including an Unsubsidized Direct Stafford and a GradPLUS loan. However, I'm worried because med students are supposed to be receiving a Stafford of 40,500 instead of 20,500 that normal graduate students receive.

I used the FAFSA code on the school website (G02474). Did I do something wrong or am I being overly paranoid as the NetPartner application will clear up things?

Finally filled out my FAFSA! However, there is one thing i am concerned about. I just received in my email a confirmation of my FAFSA submission and it says "based on eligibility criteria, I am eligible for the following: Direct Stafford Loan Estimate: $20,500." It says i may also be eligible for other loads as a disclaimer and I have yet to submit my NetPartner application, but I am going to be dependent on full financial aid, including an Unsubsidized Direct Stafford and a GradPLUS loan. However, I'm worried because med students are supposed to be receiving a Stafford of 40,500 instead of 20,500 that normal graduate students receive.

I used the FAFSA code on the school website (G02474). Did I do something wrong or am I being overly paranoid as the NetPartner application will clear up things?

You did everything right. Netpartner and the financial aid office will package you for the full amounts. Gradplus is not fafsa dependent, so it will never tel you if you are eligible.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

You did everything right. Netpartner and the financial aid office will package you for the full amounts. Gradplus is not fafsa dependent, so it will never tel you if you are eligible.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

awesome, good to hear. thanks!

Is it worth it to pay more and buy the newest version of first aid?

First Aid as a first year is great to have to help consolidate the info you learn in class. Get whatever version you want. You dont need to newest one so save your money.

It doesn't matter. If you have the year before you can go on First Aid's website and they basically tell you all the updates they made to the next book. You won't be missing much. https://firstaidteam.com/2016/12/30/whats-new-in-first-aid-for-the-usmle-step-1-2017/

For example, if one is taking boards in 2019 and they have the 2018 version, you arent going to now score ten points lower on boards becaus of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Yes, it is worth it to buy the newest version when you are going to take boards. However, as an incoming first year, you just need an older version that has 95% of the material in it to get aquainted with it and use it for classes.

First year buy a FA that is 1-2 years old. I wouldn't annotate anything into it unless you're really sure it's HY for boards. 2nd year buy the latest, transfer over annotations and primarily annotate from UWorld.

Reactions: 2 users
First year buy a FA that is 1-2 years old. I wouldn't annotate anything into it unless you're really sure it's HY for boards. 2nd year buy the latest, transfer over annotations and primarily annotate from UWorld.

I like this approach.

Could you give a brief example of how you might annotate something into FA? Just like a quick summary? I had a similar strategy in undergrad and am curious as to how others may do it in med school.

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question