Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Guys,

I just interviewed here today, and I am quite surprised at the interview. I had almost no questions asked of me, and the interviewer didn't ask about anything on my secondary application, although based on the discussion we had, it seemed he was impressed with parts that I wrote. It was really casual, it seemed like there was nothng my interviewer wanted to clarify.

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about what this means?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Guys,

I just interviewed here today, and I am quite surprised at the interview. I had almost no questions asked of me, and the interviewer didn't ask about anything on my secondary application, although based on the discussion we had, it seemed he was impressed with parts that I wrote. It was really casual, it seemed like there was nothng my interviewer wanted to clarify.

I wasn't asked any questions regarding my secondary app either. I got more general questions (ie: why osteopathy, how I deal with stress, why kcu, etc) - I wouldn't look too much into it.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Guys,

Exact same for me back when I interviewed. I suppose the school already knows everything about us and just wants to see how we communicate. Plus I'm sure it's highly variable depending on the interviewer. Who knows, maybe we could have had the same person!

Members don't see this ad :)
Exact same for me back when I interviewed. I suppose the school already knows everything about us and just wants to see how we communicate. Plus I'm sure it's highly variable depending on the interviewer. Who knows, maybe we could have had the same person!

Mine was exactly the same way! It really was just a conversation. I'm also curious to know how much the interview weighs in the decision process...

Hi Guys,

My interview was pretty conversational too. They did try to probe a bit on how I would be able to cope with various things/situations, but was done pretty casually and didn't seem like a grill-session at all. The interviewer was also very nice and I felt we "clicked" immediately. I did get some questions about my secondary, but mainly trying to see if what I saw lines up with what I wrote in my essays.

Ok. Having major issues with my titers. So I set up with a PCP gave him KCU's sheet and had an extensive discussion with him and his NP that they needed to be quantitative. I get them back and only Varicella is quantitative. They told me that they don't do any other quantitative titers and said they've never heard of anybody getting a quantitative Hep B test etc. This can't be correct can it? They tried to say "your school will take these results" but I assured them they wouldn't.

On the brightside, they said i'm immune to Hep B so I shouldn't have to get the shot again right?

Last edited:
Ok. Having major issues with my titers. So I set up with a PCP gave him KCU's sheet and had an extensive discussion with him and his NP that they needed to be quantitative. I get them back and only Varicella is quantitative. They told me that they don't do any other quantitative titers and said they've never heard of anybody getting a quantitative Hep B test etc. This can't be correct can it? They tried to say "your school will take these results" but I assured them they wouldn't.

On the brightside, they said i'm immune to Hep B so I shouldn't have to get the shot again right?

More than likely that's true, but I'd go find a different PCP and do them again.

More than likely that's true, but I'd go find a different PCP and do them again.
Which part is true? That I won't need the Hep B shot again? Also, I'm considering going to a private lab because It took me weeks to get set up with this PCP because nobody else takes my insurance.

Which part is true? That I won't need the Hep B shot again? Also, I'm considering going to a private lab because It took me weeks to get set up with this PCP because nobody else takes my insurance.

I'd go to a private lab asap. You're probably good on hep B, but just in case you should get the titers done. Admissions has said they'd like you to get the first shot of the hep b series by the end of feb so only got a week left!

I'd go to a private lab asap. You're probably good on hep B, but just in case you should get the titers done. Admissions has said they'd like you to get the first shot of the hep b series by the end of feb so only got a week left!
I received my hep B series in 2014 for a hospital job I had. You still think I should get the shots again?

I received my hep B series in 2014 for a hospital job I had. You still think I should get the shots again?

If you got them (them being the 3 shot series) that recently I can't imagine you'd need them again. The way I understand it is that the Hep B series is good for about 20 years so you more than fall under that umbrella. I'd still go to a private lab and get your ABs checked just in case.

You probably won't need the shots again assuming you also got the series when you were a baby. But definitely go to a private lab!!! They will be able to do quantitative for sure.

Anyone know the format of the interview on interview day? And how relaxing/stressful it was?

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted to Joplin Campus, Interviewed Feb 7

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted to Kansas City Campus! Interviewed 2/8.

I too didn't know how to process my interview. I thought it went well (super conversational, easy going) but could have seen it going either way.

Accepted to Kansas City Campus! Interviewed 2/8.

I too didn't know how to process my interview. I thought it went well (super conversational, easy going) but could have seen it going either way.

Have you decided if you're gonna matriculate or not?

Quick questions guys/gals, I'm expected to get back all my quantitative titer results tomorrow morning. Is there any document that KCU has provided us with that let's us see if our antibody levels are adequate enough for them? Pretty much asking for the reference ranges for the MMR, varicella, and Hep B

Quick questions guys/gals, I'm expected to get back all my quantitative titer results tomorrow morning. Is there any document that KCU has provided us with that let's us see if our antibody levels are adequate enough for them? Pretty much asking for the reference ranges for the MMR, varicella, and Hep B

It should say on your lab results if you are immune or not.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

So for quants and getting additional vaccinations, do I just make any appointment with my PCP or can I just go to the lab and ask? Sorry I'm pretty new to this since I usually get my vaccinations through my company and they sort everything out for me. I do have most of my immunizations and I also have some quants done, but some need to be done again since I did a re-vacc of HepB.

So for quants and getting additional vaccinations, do I just make any appointment with my PCP or can I just go to the lab and ask? Sorry I'm pretty new to this since I usually get my vaccinations through my company and they sort everything out for me. I do have most of my immunizations and I also have some quants done, but some need to be done again since I did a re-vacc of HepB.
You'll need to go to your PCP so they can order the labs. I was able to call and my PCP was able to issue orders to the lab electronically without a physical visit to her office

It should say on your lab results if you are immune or not.

Just got my report and yea you're right. Looks like I'm gunna have to start the Hep B ugh.

Does anyone know if we need prescriptions for vaccines? Otherwise I'll just walk into a CVS minute clinic and get it done

Just got my report and yea you're right. Looks like I'm gunna have to start the Hep B ugh.

Does anyone know if we need prescriptions for vaccines? Otherwise I'll just walk into a CVS minute clinic and get it done

No prescriptions needed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I agree with the Minute Clinic at CVS. I went in and got all my immunizations within 10 minutes.

So I submitted the NetPartner application and have filled out FAFSA already. Do I have to fill out gradloans in fedloans website too and who would I be expecting a response from?

So I submitted the NetPartner application and have filled out FAFSA already. Do I have to fill out gradloans in fedloans website too and who would I be expecting a response from?

Don't apply for gradplus loans until late May. The approval only lasts 90 days, so you would be wasting time applying too soon.

Still have a 2016 First Aid board review book for sale!

It's a good idea to get this book before you start school so that you can use it for your classes.

Hey, is the book is good condition? How much are you selling for and would you be able to mail it to Miami?

Don't apply for gradplus loans until late May. The approval only lasts 90 days, so you would be wasting time applying too soon.

Little pearls of wisdom like this make me happy.

Anyone know if we pay the matriculation fee or the acceptance fee first?

Acceptance fee first!
Thanks! That's the one due in 14 days right? If I recall in my email, it says the fees are due March 17, but per KCU CIB, it says that acceptances around this time are given 14 days to make a deposit.

I wonder what books we'll actually need/ are any of these available on PDF?

I wonder what books we'll actually need/ are any of these available on PDF?

I'm sure all of these books are found online. These are the only books I recommend actually buying: biochem, pathology Big Robbins, BRS physio, costanzo phys (I have mine pdf and it was fine). There are PDF copies of first aid as well and I'm just doing that now, uploaded it onto notability and annotate directly on it.

Even the quantitative titers?? So I don't need to go through my PCP?
You wont be able to get titers from them for those you'll need to go see your PCP or a private lab. If you're having problems getting to see your PCP you could always be proactive and get an MMR and Hep B booster!

Interviewed Feb. 8 and was waitlisted. Hopefully there will be some movement. Loved seeing this school and the city of KC!

Hey friends,
I have an interview next Thursday and was wondering if anyone knew if this will be for a waitlist position or are there open spots.
As well, is KCU accepting more than their average 270 students because of the addition of the school in Joplin?
Thanks in advance.

Hey friends,
I have an interview next Thursday and was wondering if anyone knew if this will be for a waitlist position or are there open spots.
As well, is KCU accepting more than their average 270 students because of the addition of the school in Joplin?
Thanks in advance.
I would contact admissions (quick phone call) and ask if you're interviewing for a spot or waitlist. You don't need to say who you are just call and ask. As to your second question, They are accepting 270 for the KC campus and 160 (I think) for the Joplin campus so more spots for sure! Did you put a campus preference down on your secondary? If so you're more than likely going to be accepted to that one should you be accepted =D

I'm an accepted applicant with some questions about the curriculum and student life. Would any current students be willing to answer some questions in direct messages? Thanks!

About to pay the matriculation fee. Totally forgot what i put down for the acceptance fee, but if I remember correctly, for the part where they ask us our "Incoming Class Year", we have to put down 2017 and not 2021 correct?

About to pay the matriculation fee. Totally forgot what i put down for the acceptance fee, but if I remember correctly, for the part where they ask us our "Incoming Class Year", we have to put down 2017 and not 2021 correct?

I think they figure there's going to be some confusion so I don't think it's a huge deal. That being said we are entering in 2017 so

I would contact admissions (quick phone call) and ask if you're interviewing for a spot or waitlist. You don't need to say who you are just call and ask. As to your second question, They are accepting 270 for the KC campus and 160 (I think) for the Joplin campus so more spots for sure! Did you put a campus preference down on your secondary? If so you're more than likely going to be accepted to that one should you be accepted =D

I did not commit to either, I stated an interest in both and assessed the positive qualities of both. I believe I would rather go to Kansas City because I believe there will be more opportunities there than Joplin. What are the main differences between the two locations? For Joplin, aren't they seeking mainly students who aspire to become a part of primary/rural medicine.

I did not commit to either, I stated an interest in both and assessed the positive qualities of both. I believe I would rather go to Kansas City because I believe there will be more opportunities there than Joplin. What are the main differences between the two locations? For Joplin, aren't they seeking mainly students who aspire to become a part of primary/rural medicine.

For starters the KC campus isn't a new school! Yes Joplin will be associated with the main campus but it is still a new school. That being said the rotations for Joplin students, specifically in Joplin, may be better than the KC site. Both hospitals in Joplin are primarily with residents which is a big plus. I'll punt to @AlteredScale for anything else!