Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For current students who are paying their rent through loans, how does that work? Can you please PM me? I am planning on starting my lease in May and I realize that I might have to pay the rent for first few months out of pocket but I just wanted to know the process and what type of loans are offered through KCU

Members don't see this ad.

For current students who are paying their rent through loans, how does that work? Can you please PM me? I am planning on starting my lease in May and I realize that I might have to pay the rent for first few months out of pocket but I just wanted to know the process and what type of loans are offered through KCU

not a current student, only an incoming one so I myself am not 100% sure about paying rent stuff haha. As fas as loans go, unfortunately, it looks like you missed the March 15th priority deadline but you can definitely still apply year round. The following is a link from KCU explaining more: Loan Programs

Hello current KCU students,
I will be attending KCU-KC this year and I am wondering if living at a 950 a month apartment is too much to handle . I plan on using only the federal aid. Is it possible to still have a quality lifestyle (according to medical school student standards)? I will be also leasing a car. Any input would be great! Thanks:)

EDIT: what do you think? @AlteredScale I also want to have enough money to eat bbq at KC hahahaha

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't they give 28k max in CoL loans? IMO, that is quite a lot. I might end up taking max loans though for the first year just to see how my budgeting is, then assess from there. Since med school is super stressful, I don't plan on being frugal and definitely want a comfortable apt to come home to, but I also know I need to budget effectively.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't they give 28k max in CoL loans? IMO, that is quite a lot. I might end up taking max loans though for the first year just to see how my budgeting is, then assess from there. Since med school is super stressful, I don't plan on being frugal and definitely want a comfortable apt to come home to, but I also know I need to budget effectively.

is 28k a lot? 1000 rent a month is already like 12k lol plus hydro, internet, car and other living expense lol

You can borrow more than the allotted amount with grad plus I believe!

Not true. The school will not certify anything above the published COA for government loans (except in exceptional circumstances). You can go private, but I suggest against that if you can help it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Not true. The school will not certify anything above the published COA for government loans (except in exceptional circumstances). You can go private, but I suggest against that if you can help it.

I had that confused my bad

I think that is a lot, especially if living with a roommate. 12k out + 16k left, IMO if you think you need more than that, you have been spending too much in undergrad haha

is 28k a lot? 1000 rent a month is already like 12k lol plus hydro, internet, car and other living expense lol
You can absolutely do good on that if you budget. I had to live a year in Undergrad off loans. I worked 16 hours a week in the hospital and that paid for rent only each month and I lived off 5k in loans/grants each semester and had plenty for food, gas, going out, mall shopping.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! Just a quick question about the immunization packet upload. When I try to upload my forms on the upload link directly from SentryMD, it says that the document is too big. Anyone know if the correct email address to email the PDF packet KCUMD@SentryMD.com or KCUMB@SentryMD.com? I just want to make sure since I'll be sending them private medical information!

When is everyone planning to move in? Would moving in mid-July (around the 10th-15th) be too early? I kind of want everything to set and not have to worry about anything else before starting orientation and classes.

I'm moving in May 27th with my gf. My current lease is up June 1st and I didn't want to move all my stuff home just for 3-4 weeks and move to KC.

I'm moving there May 1st because my rent in NY is way too high to justify living here any longer.

I'm moving in May 27th with my gf. My current lease is up June 1st and I didn't want to move all my stuff home just for 3-4 weeks and move to KC.
I think I met you at accepted students day
Do you have a sweet mustache rn

Reactions: 5 users
Can't remember who came on here awhile back and ripped into the school for not being safe and having a blighted hotel near by, but the school and the city recently began tearing it down! Hopefully they turn it into a community gathering point or more green space. Go KCU

Reactions: 3 users
Can't remember who came on here awhile back and ripped into the school for not being safe and having a blighted hotel near by, but the school and the city recently began tearing it down! Hopefully they turn it into a community gathering point or more green space. Go KCU

Niceee! That really was a big swore thumb for the school. Everything else around it was totally fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Declined my acceptance to the Joplin campus last week, good luck to everyone still waiting!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Have my interview tomorrow, currently exploring around the area my hotel is in and I gotta say, Kansas City is growing on me very much...though maybe that's the museum I'm in right now. : P

Reactions: 3 users
@phoenixsflame Good luck on your interview! In case you haven't seen every other post about it on this thread, it will be super laid back. Spend a lot of time talking with your student ambassador!

Have my interview tomorrow, currently exploring around the area my hotel is in and I gotta say, Kansas City is growing on me very much...though maybe that's the museum I'm in right now. : P

If it's the Atkins art museum I get it! So nice.

You should go try out Kansas City Joes, it's a BBQ place that runs out of a gas station and supposedly has the best ribs in the city. Not going there was my only regret after my interview day.

Hi everyone! Just a quick question about the immunization packet upload. When I try to upload my forms on the upload link directly from SentryMD, it says that the document is too big. Anyone know if the correct email address to email the PDF packet KCUMD@SentryMD.com or KCUMB@SentryMD.com? I just want to make sure since I'll be sending them private medical information!

[email protected] is where I sent mine and I already received receipt confirmation from Sentry and KCU

(KCU used to be KCUMB - Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences or still is but they shortened it)

Update for everyone, i'm at q39, we got super lucky with parking and two spots at the bar opened up for me and my mother right as we walked in.
Food gods are smiling upon us tonight for dinner and we are so excited.

Edit: Also thank you for the good luck guys, i'm raring to go, might be the jitters too but a lot of excitement. And yes it was Nelson-Atkins museum, that was awesome.

Reactions: 1 users
You should go try out Kansas City Joes, it's a BBQ place that runs out of a gas station and supposedly has the best ribs in the city. Not going there was my only regret after my interview day.

I have been there and it was quite good! Used to be called Oklahoma Joe's, now it just goes by Joe's Kansas City Bar-B-Que. The gas station one is really sketch but they have another one on the other side of town that is a little more upscale.

How was Accepted Students day for those who went? I couldn't make it :(

Specifically did they share any info about the school that you found particularly interesting/important that you didn't already know?

Also, how did you find KC and the area around the campus. I hear mixed reviews about the safety but I'm used to big cities and the crime that typically accompanies them so I'm not too concerned.

Any other feedback about accept student day would be great!

Does anyone know when KCU usually disperses the loans?

Also, I just completed the Grad PLUS loans application, but it said the award year as 2016-2017 and there was no selection for 2017-2018. Did I complete the application correctly? Sorry, I'm new to all of this.

Last edited:
How was Accepted Students day for those who went? I couldn't make it :(

Specifically did they share any info about the school that you found particularly interesting/important that you didn't already know?

Also, how did you find KC and the area around the campus. I hear mixed reviews about the safety but I'm used to big cities and the crime that typically accompanies them so I'm not too concerned.

Any other feedback about accept student day would be great!

I think there's another Accepted Day in April.

Also, I just completed the Grad PLUS loans application, but it said the award year as 2016-2017 and there was no selection for 2017-2018. Did I complete the application correctly? Sorry, I'm new to all of this.

I believe the loans are given out in mid to late April. I completed the GradPLUS a few weeks back and also noticed that there wasn't an option for 2017-18 as the award year, so I'm sure it was just a glitch on their end. I'm sure its not a big deal lol

I believe the loans are given out in mid to late April. I completed the GradPLUS a few weeks back and also noticed that there wasn't an option for 2017-18 as the award year, so I'm sure it was just a glitch on their end. I'm sure its not a big deal lol
That's really early, does the school hold on to the loans until dispersed for tuition purposes, then gives the CoA amount after?

I noticed that too.. I think they just forgot to update the years, but just in case I specified my own dates

I had to take out GradPlus loans for my Masters program. Usually its in April or May that the option for the next school year pops up (in this case 2017-2018), it comes out late because the credit check you need for GradPlus loans only lasts like two months before expiring.

If you're worried, I would contact KCU's Financial Aid office or call the StudentLoans.gov customer support. They're pretty good at answering these questions.

I had to take out GradPlus loans for my Masters program. Usually its in April or May that the option for the next school year pops up (in this case 2017-2018), it comes out late because the credit check you need for GradPlus loans only lasts like two months before expiring.

If you're worried, I would contact KCU's Financial Aid office or call the StudentLoans.gov customer support. They're pretty good at answering these questions.

They also said that after you fill out fafsa, the KCU financial aid app, and do your entrance counseling you don't need to do anything else. Once they award you (not really an award) the two loans and how much in the KCU financial aid portal then you can apply to the grad plus and Stanford loans.

@AlteredScale Anybody know anything about the Global Heath Track? I have international medical experience and really enjoyed it, and want love to continue it. What does the research capstone entail? Is it hard to keep up with normal class work? Is it a good idea if I'm interested in emergency medicine?

Ok, for the loan stuff ........

The federal application is only good for 90 days. Don't do it now! You haven't even been packaged thorough KCU yet. KCU will email you when you have an award, which you need to accept. Once you do this, and it is after May 15, then apply GradPLUS.

KCU will do loan disbursements pretty close to what it says on their schedule. It was first or second week of classes, meaning August 10-15.

@AlteredScale Anybody know anything about the Global Heath Track? I have international medical experience and really enjoyed it, and want love to continue it. What does the research capstone entail? Is it hard to keep up with normal class work? Is it a good idea if I'm interested in emergency medicine?

You apply second semester year 1 and get to do some trips your first two years as well as dedicated rotations to international medicine.

The research project is essentially anything that is related to global health.

The people who have done it have matched into a multitude of specialties so I don't think it's beneficial for one vs the other. For EM step 2, SLOE letters, and SubIs/audition rotations are considered the most important aspects to ranking according to the the NRMP program directors survey.

I think I may have missed other questions on here from other people so if I did can you just ask them again? :)

Ok, for the loan stuff ........

The federal application is only good for 90 days. Don't do it now! You haven't even been packaged thorough KCU yet. KCU will email you when you have an award, which you need to accept. Once you do this, and it is after May 15, then apply GradPLUS.

KCU will do loan disbursements pretty close to what it says on their schedule. It was first or second week of classes, meaning August 10-15.

Yeah the disbursement timing sucks incredibly because you gotta shell out money for rent and moving and there's no assistance at all.

Yeah the disbursement timing sucks incredibly because you gotta shell out money for rent and moving and there's no assistance at all.

Luckily the place my girlfriend and I just got approved for offered second months rent (july) for free.

Where was this?
Switzer lofts. Check it out. about 10 minutes from school. It used to be a closed down private high school and they turned all the building into apartments so they all have unique designs. Some of them still have giant chalk boards in them. Perfect for group studying I bet.