Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know when or how we get our white coats?

Given during orientation week. They are handed to you. LOL JK my sass is on point today. If you didn't go to an accepted students day then they just fit you for one the first day of orientation and then you receive that same day to wear by the end of the week for the ceremony.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Given during orientation week. They are handed to you. LOL JK my sass is on point today. If you didn't go to an accepted students day then they just fit you for one the first day of orientation and then you receive that same day to wear by the end of the week for the ceremony.

I think we got fitted for them during the interview day? I remember entering my coat size into an ipad after I finished my interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think we got fitted for them during the interview day? I remember entering my coat size into an ipad after I finished my interview.

Ah that's right they changed it up for you guys! In that case they should have them for you first or second day of orientation week :) it's honestly kind of cool having it around and not putting it on till the white coat ceremony.

You should see mine now...so tattered and I haven't even hit clerkships :(

Edit: just realized that last statement may have come off kind of gunnerish. I meant that I didn't take care of my white coat!

Reactions: 1 user
Ah that's right they changed it up for you guys! In that case they should have them for you first or second day of orientation week :) it's honestly kind of cool having it around and not putting it on till the white coat ceremony.

You should see mine now...so tattered and I haven't even hit clerkships :(

Edit: just realized that last statement may have come off kind of gunnerish. I meant that I didn't take care of my white coat!

I'm gunna have to actually start separating my whites from my darks now, ughhh.

I've got a question for CT residents or any of the incoming students who toured it during Accepted Students Day.

What's the gym like over there? Right now my workout consists solely of running and I've been meaning to start lifting since I don't think I can get any skinnier. I'd really like to be able to get a complete workout using the gym in the building I'll be living in, instead of having to join a gym outside.

Does it have the necessary equipment so that I can do squats, deadlifts and bench press?

What do more experienced lifters think of that gym?

Anyone??

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the gym like over there? Right now my workout consists solely of running and I've been meaning to start lifting since I don't think I can get any skinnier. I'd really like to be able to get a complete workout using the gym in the building I'll be living in, instead of having to join a gym outside.

Does it have the necessary equipment so that I can do squats, deadlifts and bench press?

It's a decently sizes gym and yes you can a get a complete workout there. There are lockers and showers as well.

It has all the necessary equipment.

I can't speak to the gym of CT towers...however on the day that I interviewed (03/24) we were shown the gym on campus. Based off of my experiences (been lifting for a while...) for a beginner the facilities are more than sufficient.

You will make gainz, assuming diet is in check...

This is school is a joke. And I'm not just saying that because they rejected me.

April Fools?

What? They rejected me out right after I submitted their secondary and completely ignored me. When I went to ask questions about what I needed to do they gave me terrible advice.

It says Dr. Darrin D'Agostino will be helping develop research at KCU.. Maybe he'll help make research a bit easier to attain/pursue in the pre-clinical years? This would be awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
It says Dr. Darrin D'Agostino will be helping develop research at KCU.. Maybe he'll help make research a bit easier to attain/pursue in the pre-clinical years? This would be awesome.

This is something I will be asking him when I meet with him!

What? They rejected me out right after I submitted their secondary and completely ignored me. When I went to ask questions about what I needed to do they gave me terrible advice.

I'm sorry to hear that. The admissions dept can get busy and I'm sure their advice was probably bad because of that. But I wouldn't go as far to say the school is a joke because of that.

calm the **** down

Check the match list thread. High chance this is reincarnated boo. Or terrible troll at best.

I told you to leave me alone and stop playing me up to be anything else but someone who was given a second chance on here. Go stay in your uneventful match list thread.

calm the **** down
Oh I'm sorry, is my explanation triggering you because you're an incoming student here? There's nothing in my post that would dictate you telling me to calm down. How about you stop overreacting? :whistle:

Oh I'm sorry, is my explanation triggering you because you're an incoming student here? There's nothing in my post that would dictate you telling me to calm down. How about you stop overreacting? :whistle:
You said the school was a joke for reasons unrelated to them rejecting your application, as an incoming student myself, I'd be interested in hearing what those reasons are for you. You haven't really mentioned what they are yet.

Is it simply because they didn't give you feedback on how your application could be improved after the fact?

It's spacehamsterboo lol. Just ignore him, April 1st is over.

@breezy1245 Troll on the match list thread. It's more high yield for reactions there.

I've got a question for CT residents or any of the incoming students who toured it during Accepted Students Day.

I think some others answered about the KCU gym, which should fit your needs.

The CT gym has plenty of cardio machines, but no deadlift. There's probably 10 or so dumbbells of varying weights and a few upper body/lower body machines as well.

In coming student and not familiar with residency locations. I went on the KCUMB.edu site to check out their official match list. Are the surgical matches good residencies? Are the few Baylor matches considered outstanding for an osteopathic school? Thank you for your insights.

In coming student and not familiar with residency locations. I went on the KCUMB.edu site to check out their official match list. Are the surgical matches good residencies? Are the few Baylor matches considered outstanding for an osteopathic school? Thank you for your insights.
It's not main Baylor, but still good. ACGME gen surg is hard for any DO, but the GME programs are solid.

Hi, Just curious. In terms of the new Joplin campus opening up this Fall, does anyone know if the official degree conferred will say KCU or will it say KCU-Joplin?
Just wondering b/c I know the residency match list is fantastic for the current KC campus but wondering if that reputation may not be the same if the degree says "KCU-Joplin" during the match process.
@AlteredScale ?

Hi, Just curious. In terms of the new Joplin campus opening up this Fall, does anyone know if the official degree conferred will say KCU or will it say KCU-Joplin?
Just wondering b/c I know the residency match list is fantastic for the current KC campus but wondering if that reputation may not be the same if the degree says "KCU-Joplin" during the match process.
@AlteredScale ?

The degree will be conferred as KCU and not KCU Joplin. IMO institutional name doesn't carry much weight compared to letters and your performance academically. Those letters come from where you rotate and Joplin has some of the strongest rotations in comparison to KC. So you'll be fine on that respect.

The degree will be conferred as KCU and not KCU Joplin. IMO institutional name doesn't carry much weight compared to letters and your performance academically. Those letters come from where you rotate and Joplin has some of the strongest rotations in comparison to KC. So you'll be fine on that respect.
What are the qualities of Joplins rotations that make it strong, at least in comparison to KC?

What are the qualities of Joplins rotations that make it strong, at least in comparison to KC?

You have two hospitals (Mercy and Freeman) that will have the closest affiliation to the school due to being in the same city. Additionally Freeman has multiple residences so you will get strong inpatient training with residences there while also getting strong inpatient training with preceptors at Mercy Health.

Don't get me wrong, KC is also strong but the rotations in KC are not great IMO. It's entirely preceptor based which isn't the problem, its the crazy variation that one can get within a single clerkship/rotations. If you are with an ObGyn doc that does more hospital work then you'll get more exposure to delivering babies then say an ObGyn who only focuses on Gyn now so you won't get the same experience which can affect you're perspectives on those specialties.

The other sites KC offers in different states are pretty strong with some exceptions.

You have two hospitals (Mercy and Freeman) that will have the closest affiliation to the school due to being in the same city. Additionally Freeman has multiple residences so you will get strong inpatient training with residences there while also getting strong inpatient training with preceptors at Mercy Health.

Don't get me wrong, KC is also strong but the rotations in KC are not great IMO. It's entirely preceptor based which isn't the problem, its the crazy variation that one can get within a single clerkship/rotations. If you are with an ObGyn doc that does more hospital work then you'll get more exposure to delivering babies then say an ObGyn who only focuses on Gyn now so you won't get the same experience which can affect you're perspectives on those specialties.

The other sites KC offers in different states are pretty strong with some exceptions.

Thank you for the information. Can you speak on a few that are in different states that would be better?

Thank you. Do you know how the change will affect DOs applying to ACGME residency spots in the future?

Unknown. There will be DO general residencies that will not make it past ACGME and will close. I have heard PDs from AOA programs state they will continue to self select DO applications despite being open to MD apps now.

Thank you for the information. Can you speak on a few that are in different states that would be better?

Ohio, Michigan, Florida, Oklahoma are all pretty strong for similar reasons that KCU joplin is strong imo.

Kind of a crazy reflection on competitiveness that <10 people per class are matching into gen surgery. Ortho + gen surg was 10 from a class of probably 250!

Kind of a crazy reflection on competitiveness that <10 people per class are matching into gen surgery. Ortho + gen surg was 10 from a class of probably 250!

Something that I thought was cool was ~74% of the class matched ACGME.

Thanks so much for the info! Have you heard any positive things about the FL rotations (which are prob gonna my first choice)?

Thank you. Do you know how the change will affect DOs applying to ACGME residency spots in the future?

I have no idea as I an just a matriculating KC-COM pre-med. If I had to guess, it may make the more competitive programs harder. However, it will give the DO degree a stronger claim across the GME community since they are no longer separate. I do believe it will become more competitive though due to some AOA programs closing down (can anyone confirm if they are closing for good?)

Thanks so much for the info! Have you heard any positive things about the FL rotations (which are prob gonna my first choice)?

I have no idea as I an just a matriculating KC-COM pre-med. If I had to guess, it may make the more competitive programs harder. However, it will give the DO degree a stronger claim across the GME community since they are no longer separate. I do believe it will become more competitive though due to some AOA programs closing down (can anyone confirm if they are closing for good?)

The Florida rotations are good. You work with nova students and I think USF students as well. There's residents for a bunch of the rotations.

If you search "AOA residencies" you can look them up and actually which ones have received ACGME accreditation and which ones are closing.

Shower thought. KCU's class averages have gone up drastically in the last 5 years, more than most schools ive seen. The MCAT average has gone from like a 25-29 mcat and gpa from 3.45 to 3.67. So the past 5 match lists are from classes that had much lower stats on average that current first/second years and the incoming class of 2017. I'd be interested to see the quality of KCU match in 2+ years especially with the merger.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Any news on what Dr. D'Agostino's goals are going to be at KCU? Do you think any of his changes will take effect in time for this incoming class?

I see he's coming from TCOM and has experience in GME which is great. I hope he doesn't change too much about the curriculum, I like the overall structure but I would welcome a P/F grading system.

Overall it looks like he's got great experience and I'm excited to see what he'll do.

Any news on what Dr. D'Agostino's goals are going to be at KCU? Do you think any of his changes will take effect in time for this incoming class?

I see he's coming from TCOM and has experience in GME which is great. I hope he doesn't change too much about the curriculum, I like the overall structure but I would welcome a P/F grading system.

Overall it looks like he's got great experience and I'm excited to see what he'll do.

No clue but it sounds he wants to implement some new stuff into the curriculum but not drastically alter it. Speaking with student gov leaders any huge changes would take years to implement so I wouldn't be too worried :)

Also, opinions on new Northlane?!

No clue but it sounds he wants to implement some new stuff into the curriculum but not drastically alter it. Speaking with student gov leaders any huge changes would take years to implement so I wouldn't be too worried :)

Straight

I heard they gave Ed Sheeran a run for his money on the U.K. charts.

Straight

I heard they gave Ed Sheeran a run for his money on the U.K. charts.

They did! Last I heard they were second on those charts. I really liked the production quality of Node. The guitarist said they used Ableton to mix the electronics which does give it a whole different level of complexity.

Damn I wish I was in your class. @CCmetal94 , @neurodjent and you get me <3.

They did! Last I heard they were second on those charts. I really liked the production quality of Node. The guitarist said they used Ableton to mix the electronics which does give it a whole different level of complexity.

I've only heard about 3 songs so far. Will listen to the full length this week for sure. I really liked the direction they went with Node. Not as heavy as Singularity obviously, but I basically look at old and new Northlane as two different bands now lol.

Did you hear that the guitarist for Chelsea Grin was accepted to UofUtah med school?

Ahh okay, gotcha. Well I'm excited to see what he's thinking about implementing.

I honestly haven't been a fan of Northlane in the past, which I know is weird because Northlane is one of the most popular djent bands out there, but I just checked out Intuition off their latest album and HOT DAMN, that track is sick. I'm definitely going to be checking out more.

Ableton is a great program and is the go to lately for all EDM and dance artists. I've only messed around with it a few times but for electronic stuff its the way to go.

Dude, keep an ear out for the ridiculously heavy band coming out of KCU! An album is in the talks and when I get out there, I am setting up my home studio. I NEED to get my hands on an AXE FX to improve on these fat dj0nt t0nes.

Reactions: 2 users
I've only heard about 3 songs so far. Will listen to the full length this week for sure. I really liked the direction they went with Node. Not as heavy as Singularity obviously, but I basically look at old and new Northlane as two different bands now lol.

Did you hear that the guitarist for Chelsea Grin was accepted to UofUtah med school?

Yeah I never gave the old northlane a decent shot to know how they sounded. I only liked Scarab.

Oh wow for real? I did not know that at all. Chelsea Grin has been knocked off my radar since the Evolve EP but Immure suddenly came back haha.

Ahh okay, gotcha. Well I'm excited to see what he's thinking about implementing.

I honestly haven't been a fan of Northlane in the past, which I know is weird because Northlane is one of the most popular djent bands out there, but I just checked out Intuition off their latest album and HOT DAMN, that track is sick. I'm definitely going to be checking out more.

Ableton is a great program and is the go to lately for all EDM and dance artists. I've only messed around with it a few times but for electronic stuff its the way to go.

Dude, keep an ear out for the ridiculously heavy band coming out of KCU! An album is in the talks and when I get out there, I am setting up my home studio. I NEED to get my hands on an AXE FX to improve on these fat dj0nt t0nes.

Intiution is awesome. Dark-zero is absolutely amazingly done with the electronics.

Dude I def will keep an ear out. You gotta let me know when you dj0ntlemen come through here to KC we can all write a fat heavy song.

Yeah I never gave the old northlane a decent shot to know how they sounded. I only liked Scarab.

Oh wow for real? I did not know that at all. Chelsea Grin has been knocked off my radar since the Evolve EP but Immure suddenly came back haha.
Yeah I hadn't listen to them in years but I came across an article about the guitar player. I've got an 8 string guitar ive been dying to put to use. Also, If anybody wants to start a Blink-182 cover band let me know.

Accepted today to the KC campus! Can't wait to meet everyone this Fall!

Reactions: 6 users
Got rejected today...:lame: Went to 3/15 COB interview.

I thought that I'd at least be waitlisted cuz my COB GPA is >3.5 and MCAT is only few points below a 501... However, that was my first and only admissions interview in my life so far, so I possibly appeared unprepared...*sigh*

Congrats on everyone who was accepted. I was interviewed on March 3rd and waitlisted. I wrote letter of intent to the school. Does anyone know when and if waitlist moves, should I call the school? is there anything I can do? please advise.