Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any word on the COCA initiative to mandate at least 1 ward-based rotation for all DO students? I think there was supposed to be a vote for it in April.

If that is the case, where would KC students do their ward-based rotation?

I'm not sure what happened with that haha but if it was approved I can see them doing the wards based one for family medicine probably since Research MedCenter has a FM residency here.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Good lord, I got so much anxiety reading through the FB group just now. So many people messed up the May 1st deadline despite all the warnings. Here's hoping KCU is in a more forgiving mood than last year

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good lord, I got so much anxiety reading through the FB group just now. So many people messed up the May 1st deadline despite all the warnings. Here's hoping KCU is in a more forgiving mood than last year

I'm honestly bewildered how you'd let something like that go until the very last minute...

Yep you have to stay in KC if you decide to do the specialty tracks. Don't know if that's gunna change in the future.

Also, a Born of Osiris album cover for your avatar??!

Haha yeah their artwork is so rad.

Reactions: 1 user

That one girl who was like "they didn't make it clear that we needed to get titers done..." yeah I guess the 45 emails they sent on top of the speech they gave about it during interview day wasn't enough of a heads up ...

Reactions: 6 users

I've heard that's how they weed out some of the class! Sad but true! It is a little concerning to me that people can't figure out something like that...how do you expect to be responsible for peoples' lives...lol maybe I'm blowing this out of proportion but DAMN get it together

Reactions: 5 users
I've heard that's how they weed out some of the class! Sad but true! It is a little concerning to me that people can't figure out something like that...how do you expect to be responsible for peoples' lives...lol maybe I'm blowing this out of proportion but DAMN get it together

agree completely. If you can't adhere to a deadline that the school reminded you about million times in order to ensure your spot as a medical student, that's on you. Still, I can''t help but feel sorry for those who worked so damn hard to get in only to lose it all on a technical issue. Imagine going from the excitement that comes when you're expecting to finally start the rest of your life to everything gone just like that (assuming they didn't have another school). Think i'm gunna me sick lol

Shoot, y'all were talking about it so much on SDN that I got anxious enough to get my titers done and I'm still on the wait list.

Reactions: 3 users
agree completely. If you can't adhere to a deadline that the school reminded you about million times in order to ensure your spot as a medical student, that's on you. Still, I can''t help but feel sorry for those who worked so damn hard to get in only to lose it all on a technical issue. Imagine going from the excitement that comes when you're expecting to finally start the rest of your life to everything gone just like that (assuming they didn't have another school). Think i'm gunna me sick lol

While I think that there is some personal culpability for not staying on top of getting the immunization paperwork done, I don't think it's productive to pile on; if the students who have had issues completing their paperwork have indeed had their acceptances rescinded, those students are already in a bad spot so saying stuff like how can you be in medical school if you can't even get the paperwork done is kinda redundant, these students are already aware of their mess up. Personally, I think that if you paid your deposits your seat should be guaranteed until at least the week before orientation after all 2 grand is a pretty significant amount of money and shows commitment to attend the school in my opinion. Also personally, I didn't get any reminders about the immunizations from the school other than the initial contact I received saying to submit everything to sentrymd (I mean I was complete shortly after sentrymd opened so idk if they sent out reminders closer to the may 1st deadline)...so based on the lack of reminders I got I can kinda see how these students forgot to keep on top of their immunizations.

That's it. Get a good GPA. They are still refining the process for current first year students. We had our first meeting about rotations yesterday. If you want a specialty tract, shoot for a minimum 3.4 GPA.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Sorry just to clarify... you are chosen toward the end of your first year for tracks then?

While I think that there is some personal culpability for not staying on top of getting the immunization paperwork done, I don't think it's productive to pile on; if the students who have had issues completing their paperwork have indeed had their acceptances rescinded, those students are already in a bad spot so saying stuff like how can you be in medical school if you can't even get the paperwork done is kinda redundant, these students are already aware of their mess up. Personally, I think that if you paid your deposits your seat should be guaranteed until at least the week before orientation after all 2 grand is a pretty significant amount of money and shows commitment to attend the school in my opinion. Also personally, I didn't get any reminders about the immunizations from the school other than the initial contact I received saying to submit everything to sentrymd (I mean I was complete shortly after sentrymd opened so idk if they sent out reminders closer to the may 1st deadline)...so based on the lack of reminders I got I can kinda see how these students forgot to keep on top of their immunizations.

They sent out a reminder like once every 2 weeks with a list of paperwork that your file was missing ....

Have to disagree with you on this one. While I agree with them being aware of their mistake, giving them an excuse or an out for not having their paperwork in or even started is not acceptable. We're going to be trusted with the LIVES of other people and yet getting paper work complete on time is difficult? Come on now. With that said, I really hope those who were behind get it done and don't lose their spots. Hopefully it'll serve as a reminder to all of us future classmates not to ignore the small things!

Members don't see this ad :)
Have to disagree with you on this one. While I agree with them being aware of their mistake, giving them an excuse or an out for not having their paperwork in or even started is not acceptable. We're going to be trusted with the LIVES of other people and yet getting paper work complete on time is difficult? Come on now. With that said, I really hope those who were behind get it done and don't lose their spots. Hopefully it'll serve as a reminder to all of us future classmates not to ignore the small things!

Totally get what you're saying and I am very high on personal responsibility and accountability. Just saying though, if completing paper work on time is in the no-tolerance zone every doctor I've worked with thus far is about to lose their license 1000x over.

Maybe it's that sort of thinking that has me on the waitlist though.....

Like @RamsFan&FutureDO said above, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one fam. It's most certainly not my intention to pile on these students (who I sincerely hope were able to get everything done in time), but there is a valuable lesson taught here that should hopefully scare someone reading this thread next year. It might be overblown like others have said, but we are literally entering a profession where only the top few make it so that the care provided to others is always as good as possible. This wasn't some obscure deadline that KCU just threw in a week ago. We were sent reminders of this every other week and it was strongly emphasized to us during interviews of just how important it is to absolutely not miss the date. At the very worst, if you think you're going to run into issues, you should communicate with the school so they have a heads up. Some of those folks on the FB page literally didn't care to check or email the office of admissions until the day of.............

It's a ****ty situation all round, and like I said, I hope it worked out for them. But, it is not fair to arbitrarily extend deadlines to students, particularly when others are expecting waitlist movement. There is not 1% of this that is to blame on KCU; this is entirely the fault of the respective students' and themselves only.

Reactions: 4 users
Given how KC is one of the only cities in the US to have google fiber, how amazing is the wifi at CT?

I'm literally thinking about starting medical school for a good four to five hours a day. How could anyone let this **** slide for so long??

Reactions: 2 users
Given how KC is one of the only cities in the US to have google fiber, how amazing is the wifi at CT?
Google fiber is a stronger selling point for KCU than I'd like to admit. Im off the Joplin train, KC or bust.

Sorry just to clarify... you are chosen toward the end of your first year for tracks then?

Nope. End of 3rd semester. Application process doesn't even begin until October-ish 2nd year.

Google fiber is a stronger selling point for KCU than I'd like to admit. Im off the Joplin train, KC or bust.

Not gunna lie, streaming pirated video content at 1gb down does not suck.

Not gunna lie, streaming pirated video content at 1gb down does not suck.

Do you have any experience with the free google fiber?-the complex i'm moving into offers free basic google fiber (5Mbs down 1MBs UP), is that bandwidth enough to watch lectures/netflix and chill or do you pretty much have to pay for the 50 dollar/100 dollar plan?

Do you have any experience with the free google fiber?-the complex i'm moving into offers free basic google fiber (5Mbs down 1MBs UP), is that bandwidth enough to watch lectures/netflix and chill or do you pretty much have to pay for the 50 dollar/100 dollar plan?
Watching videos on 5mbs is like eating Thanksgiving dinner through toothpick samples. It's doable but slow and inconvenient.

Watching videos on 5mbs is like eating Thanksgiving dinner through toothpick samples. It's doable but slow and inconvenient.

Do you have fiber? I've read that the basic internet with google fiber is a bit different than comcast and what not because it's a fiber network and there is less latency

Do you have fiber? I've read that the basic internet with google fiber is a bit different than comcast and what not because it's a fiber network and there is less latency
I don't, I have Comcast so I pay for 50mb/s down but average 10-25mb/s down. There are times when it drops below 10mb/s for a few days and that's when buffering starts being bothersome to me.

Officially moving to KC in 3.5 weeks! Gunna be chilling this summer. If anyone else is all settled in KC by June hit me up.

Reactions: 4 users

I currently use the free google fiber and it works just fine for us! We've really tested it too by watching Netflix, streaming baseball, and playing video games online at the same time and never had an issue. If I were you I would start with the free one and see if you can get by with it and if not then upgrade! 5 Mbs seems crazy low but google fiber is legit. Plus saving that 50$ would be nice!

Will you bring an amp? Lol

I had to sell my amp in undergrad because I was broke as a joke, but I plan on getting a new one this summer. I will be bringing my Jackson (6 string w/ floyd rose) and Ibanez 8-string guitar. I'll be full-on dj0nt come orientation week.

I'd do what corgi suggests. Once you leave the free tier, you can't go back. It really depends on what you are trying to do and how many devices you have rolling at once. It didn't work for my situation, but it does for some people.

Oh nice, do you know how you go about applying for those positions?

question: anyone from the waitlist received an email to submit the survey for their continued interest? do they send this to everyone on the waitlist?

Just saw someone post on the FB page that they got their acceptance withdrawn because they didn't have their titers done. My gut wrenched as soon as I read that.

Just saw someone post on the FB page that they got their acceptance withdrawn because they didn't have their titers done. My gut wrenched as soon as I read that.
Me too, I had to go and check my email just to be sure I didn't get the same thing, even though I know they sent me an email saying all my documents were received.

question: anyone from the waitlist received an email to submit the survey for their continued interest? do they send this to everyone on the waitlist?

I received it too. I would assume so.

Just completed my big sibling survey!

Sorry in advance for whoever gets assigned to me. I'll likely ask you too many questions. :rolleyes:

What type of stethoscope do most med students suggest? Would it be too late to get a stethoscope after talking to current students during orientation?

Anyone looking for a roommate? Kinda late on the housing search.