Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hold up, you have to be dressed professionally on the first day of orientation? I was expecting a jeans and a t shirt type of orientation.I should be planning to wear a buttoned shirt and fancy pants?

And a tie for guys, lol sorry! I think the rest of the week was pretty casual though.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, last year we got them on the first day of orientation and you could switch sizes if necessary. You will wear it for your ID badge picture so make sure you dress professionally the first day

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

For those of you that took the MCAT and have been out of school during your gap year how are you guys preparing for classes to start at the end of JULY. Are you guys reviewing your MCAT books or any of the basic sciences or will you guys take the full year break and wait for the first day of class to get back in the swings of things. Does KCUMB do a good job at reviewing or are we expected to have a strong foundation coming in. I'm super nervous bc I haven't opened up a science book since the MCAT last June and my job currently isn't related to medicine at all. I appreciate your input.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you that took the MCAT and have been out of school during your gap year how are you guys preparing for classes to start at the end of JULY. Are you guys reviewing your MCAT books or any of the basic sciences or will you guys take the full year break and wait for the first day of class to get back in the swings of things. Does KCUMB do a good job at reviewing or are we expected to have a strong foundation coming in. I'm super nervous bc I haven't opened up a science book since the MCAT last June and my job currently isn't related to medicine at all. I appreciate your input.

Enjoy the sun. And fun.

DO NOT open a book.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users

Don't do this. You'll be okay. I took the whole year off working in admin before starting here and I did just fine. The school starts you out slow then ramps you up.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users

As tempting as it may be to try and study beforehand, enjoy your last summer of freedom!!! Seriously, we pretty much won't ever have a summer off like this again!

As tempting as it may be to try and study beforehand, enjoy your last summer of freedom!!! Seriously, we pretty much won't ever have a summer off like this again!
THIS SEEMS TO BE THE CONSENSUS.

What insurance companies do students use bc the school doesn't offer and student health plans. I would like a plan similar to what I have now where i know how much my co pays and prescriptions will be every time. Any suggestions.

Don't be THAT GUY.

That being said if you're going to read, read some good books for fun. I'm not even a big reader and I've been reading a lot of books the past month or so b/c I feel like my brain beginning to atrophy.

So far I've loved House of God, When Breath Becomes Air, Better, How Doctors Think, and In Stitches. Check 'em out if you haven't already read them and are craving some mental stimulation!

Finally done with undergrad finals for THE last time! TBH, I did the whole "study a day or two before the exam for the whole semester" and also didn't do any extra credit and skipped half the classes (lol RIP attendance grades) since I already got accepted to med school so I'm expecting 2 A's (ironically these were the hardest), but probable B+ or B in my 2 other classes. Admissions wouldn't look down on that would they?

LOL come on man are you really asking if a B+ or B will kick you out of med school?

Just a quick question about financial aid. Do we have to accept the award and complete the MPN/counseling by the end of may?

You need to complete the counseling and MPN as soon as possible. Then I would accept the award.

I know everyone says you shouldn't pre-study and I totally agree with that, but if you want to do some reading I recommend "How the Immune System Works" It's pretty short and an easy read. I was doing a lot of traveling last summer and used it to kill some time on long train rides (along with a bunch of fiction novels). I had never had immunology before, and it was greatly helpful. Immuno has been one of my best grades so far, and I believe it's because of that book. The course jumps straight into the details and it's difficult to put everything together if you don't know the big picture.
But other than that, I would not do any kind of studying. Enjoy what's left of your free time!

I know everyone has already said this, but I just want to reiterate that you should not pre-read anything this summer. Believe it or not, when you start school almost everyone is in the same boat. This means you really don't have to worry about being out of school for a while. Enjoy your summer and relax.

I know everyone has already said this, but I just want to reiterate that you should not pre-read anything this summer. Believe it or not, when you start school almost everyone is in the same boat. This means you really don't have to worry about being out of school for a while. Enjoy your summer and relax.

I really don't feel like everyone is on the same boat at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, everyone! I was accepted to KCU 3 weeks ago. This is my first post here on SDN, so bear with me. I'm so excited to start in July! I do have a few questions for everyone.

I'm from the KC area, Blue Springs exactly. My family home is about 18 miles from campus. Should I bother looking for an apartment closer to KCU, or is home close enough? What options are other students looking at? What are the good quite places to study around KCU?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey, everyone! I was accepted to KCU 3 weeks ago. This is my first post here on SDN, so bear with me. I'm so excited to start in July! I do have a few questions for everyone.

I'm from the KC area, Blue Springs exactly. My family home is about 18 miles from campus. Should I bother looking for an apartment closer to KCU, or is home close enough? What options are other students looking at? What are the good quite places to study around KCU?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Imo you should consider if you would be comfortable living with your family while you are going through medical school?, Like for me personally I love my family but I am at the point in my life where I kinda wanna live on my own and have a greater degree of freedom in my life than I do now, and honestly think that I would perform better in school living on my own than living with my family but I also have a couple of friends that lived with their family through medical school and loved not having to worry about what they were gonna do for dinner/laundry/social interaction etc. Your commute isn't too terrible IMO (~20 minutes according to google maps), with a good chunk of lectures being recorded you probably could find a schedule where you don't necessarily have to come to campus everyday or at least not have to drive to campus during higher traffic times so commute time shouldn't be a huge issue. The other thing to consider is if you would be ok spending an additional 15Kish to live on your own or if it's not worth the extra debt for you, you just gotta consider which option would make you happier and go with that.

How much is the med kit without the stethoscope if we buy it from the schools bookstore. Also where can we find what all we need for the kit? I have searched high and low and can't find anything on the schools site or handbook

How much is the med kit without the stethoscope if we buy it from the schools bookstore. Also where can we find what all we need for the kit? I have searched high and low and can't find anything on the schools site or handbook
Based off the used ones posted for sale i think the equipment that comprises the medical kit is bp cuffs (adult and pediatric sizes), stethoscope, sphygmomanometer, otoscope, ophthalmoscope, tuning fork (although i'm not sure what frequency or if that really matters...maybe a current student can answer that?), eye chart, reflex hammer, and goniometer. (i think that's everything). In the class group, someone said they called admissions and they were told that the list of equipment would be posted later this month and they might change some of the requirements so it might just be better to wait and see what you need to get.

@AlteredScale
So for the first week of class do I have to spend a lot of time on campus? Or am I basically free to study at home as much as I want? My gf will be out of town the first week of class so I'll be alone with my puppy, which will require some diverted attention from class.

@AlteredScale
So for the first week of class do I have to spend a lot of time on campus? Or am I basically free to study at home as much as I want? My gf will be out of town the first week of class so I'll be alone with my puppy, which will require some diverted attention from class.

I think we had 1 required pcm lab and one required score 1 orientation during that week. The rest of the lectures were recorded.

Reactions: 1 users
@AlteredScale

What kind of dog?!

Hey everyone, for the people accepted at KCU-Joplin. Where can we find the schedule for the semesters. What about any other information regarding what is available to us on campus. Sorry if this question has been asked already. :)

Is renters insurance mandatory at Century Towers?

If so, how much do y'all pay for it?

I keep hearing sketchy things about CT. What's the real low-down on the place? I do want to meet people my first year there as I am completely new to the area, but I also like living comfortably and not having to worry about any problems with housing-related stuff.

I keep hearing sketchy things about CT. What's the real low-down on the place? I do want to meet people my first year there as I am completely new to the area, but I also like living comfortably and not having to worry about any problems with housing-related stuff.

The area seems to be a little shady when I was there. The uber driver told me just to be careful

Current students - can you tell me a little bit more about the curriculum? Do you think the grand round presentations are helpful? Do you feel like you are being prepped for the boards well? Learning? Best and worst thing about the curriculum? Also, any feedback on the quality of the rotation sites would be helpful. I was just accepted off the wait list and now I have to decide between two schools.

Reactions: 2 users

You'll meet people your first year regardless of where you live. I don't live at CT and never even considered living there. I've never been inside so I can't really speak to the specifics, but the idea of living right next to 100s of other stressed out medical students just did not appeal to me. If you want to be close to school, in a relatively nice area, and be able to walk to bars and restaurants consider living in river market.

Current students - can you tell me a little bit more about the curriculum? Do you think the grand round presentations are helpful? Do you feel like you are being prepped for the boards well? Learning? Best and worst thing about the curriculum? Also, any feedback on the quality of the rotation sites would be helpful. I was just accepted off the wait list and now I have to decide between two schools.

Which schools are you deciding between?

I'm choosing to live in River Market for just this reason.... I feel like either way you'll be able to meet people in your class, but I don't want any added stress for my living situation when I'm trying to focus on studying.

I'm choosing to live in River Market for just this reason.... I feel like either way you'll be able to meet people in your class, but I don't want any added stress for my living situation when I'm trying to focus on studying.

I was looking in the hyde park area....at a mac property. Hear anything about that area?

Anybody hear anything about The Landing at Briarcliff? I put my deposit down to live there but recently some very scathing reviews have been written about the complex so I was wondering if I should be concerned?

Adding to my other question
I was looking in the hyde park area....at a mac property or possibly Quality Hill Towers.... Hear anything about that area?

Adding to my other question
I was looking in the hyde park area....at a mac property or possibly Quality Hill Towers.... Hear anything about that area?

I was also looking at MAC Properties and they seemed pretty nice, I just ended up going with another apartment because that area still seems to be "up and coming," and my #1 priority is safety. The leasing agent couldn't really give me a clear answer when I asked how likely it was for my car to be broken into, for example. I think if I were a man I would feel okay there, but as a not-very-athletic woman, I decided to pass.

Q: did you get a call, email, or letter to inform you about getting off the waitlist?

Thanks!

Accepted off the waitlist for the KC campus earlier today!! Woohoo!!

Reactions: 5 users
I just got an email about the Summer Learning Enhancement Program, and am slightly interested. Does anyone know if this program is free or how much it costs? Thanks! Looking forward to meeting all of you fellow classmates soon :)

I just got an email about the Summer Learning Enhancement Program, and am slightly interested. Does anyone know if this program is free or how much it costs? Thanks! Looking forward to meeting all of you fellow classmates soon :)

Hmm I didn't get that email I wonder why?

It's free :) everyone who has taken it has only had good things to say about it. All it is is a primer for the next few courses and it's really good for those who have been out of school for a few years and just wants to be ready for the rush that comes after orientation.

It's free :) everyone who has taken it has only had good things to say about it. All it is is a primer for the next few courses and it's really good for those who have been out of school for a few years and just wants to be ready for the rush that comes after orientation.

Is that also available for Joplin students? And where can I get more information?

If i didnt receive any information about this, should I email admissions and ask?

If i didnt receive any information about this, should I email admissions and ask?

They only email people they think will need the refresher for school. I.e. Nontrads who have been out of school for awhile

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody hear anything about The Landing at Briarcliff? I put my deposit down to live there but recently some very scathing reviews have been written about the complex so I was wondering if I should be concerned?
The reviews scared me away, but many students swear by it

I was looking in the hyde park area....at a mac property. Hear anything about that area?
I'm not a local, but I've heard good things about that area. I think I know the property you're talking about... I had difficulty finding a lot of information about it. If you have any could you DM me?

Current students - does KCU have a rule where if you fail a course one year you have to retake the entire year? or you do have a chance to retake just the portion you are failing? I have heard some other schools making you retake the whole year in some cases.

Current students - does KCU have a rule where if you fail a course one year you have to retake the entire year? or you do have a chance to retake just the portion you are failing? I have heard some other schools making you retake the whole year in some cases.

They will go over this during orientation (so take my information with a grain of salt because policies may change) but for us it was that 1 fail is "fine". You can remediate that course over the summer of M1-M2. Additionally, if you fail a course or are VERY close to failing you will be required to meet with the curriculum dean for that year and set up meeting with a learning specialist to get you through the rest of the year. I know that the faculty member who helped write that test will actually go over the questions with you and see where you went wrong with your answers.

Once you fail two courses I believe you have to stand before an academic committee and they decide your fate which for the most part (from what I've observed) has been to remediate the whole year instead of getting the boot. The school doesn't wanna do that to you and will do whatever they can to make sure you get your fair chance. I have heard of 1-2 people being able to remediate 2 failed courses over the summer but that's because they failed by like..1-2 raw points.

Most people who dropped did so for medical reasons or something else not academically focused. I know 2-3 took a leave of absence during M2. Burnout starts to really become a risk in M2 because of the intensity. Best advice I can give for that is study well, study with others so that when you start to get flustered you'll have someone there to watch you and encourage you as best as possible.