Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone planning to not live at CT and looking for a roommate?

Are you looking for an open room, or a roommate to share a particular lease you have in mind?

Members don't see this ad.

Can we charge the cost of our medical kit to our school account (then loans pay it when they disperse) or do why have to have them purchased before the start of school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can we charge the cost of our medical kit to our school account (then loans pay it when they disperse) or do why have to have them purchased before the start of school?

Honestly I don't think that's possible as I tried haha. It can take until the end of the first or second week to actually get the disbursement for loans and you'll need a kit first week. BEST way to avoid this and wait it out to buy your kit is just ask to borrow someone's for the first two weeks :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Honestly I don't think that's possible as I tried haha. It can take until the end of the first or second week to actually get the disbursement for loans and you'll need a kit first week. BEST way to avoid this and wait it out to buy your kit is just ask to borrow someone's for the first two weeks :)

I know a couple of people that will be second years. Do they need their kits for the first two weeks of school?

Are you looking for an open room, or a roommate to share a particular lease you have in mind?
Looking for a roommate to share a lease for a 2 bedroom place that's decent, not in a bad neighborhood, and not in CT lol.

I know a couple of people that will be second years. Do they need their kits for the first two weeks of school?

Doubtful. But no way to know for sure yet.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I just created a facebook and tried to gain access to the KCU2021 group, but they have not accepted me. Does anyone have an idea as to how I can fix this?

Thank you,
JT

I just created a facebook and tried to gain access to the KCU2021 group, but they have not accepted me. Does anyone have an idea as to how I can fix this?

Thank you,
JT
Yes. Someone in the group will log on eventually and probably add you.

Doubtful. But no way to know for sure yet.

How the hell do they expect everyone to pay for this? I certainly won't have 600-900 extra bucks to drop. I'm already in the hole paying rent and stuff this summer.

How the hell do they expect everyone to pay for this? I certainly won't have 600-900 extra bucks to drop. I'm already in the hole paying rent and stuff this summer.

Do you have a credit card? I've been putting only larger purchases I've had to make on my card, then paying whatever I can afford to each month to pay it off.

I've been working non-stop so I can have enough money for all this stuff when I get there. Paying for the med equipment isn't unheard of, I know some MD schools that require you to pay for them too. Sucks though.

Reactions: 1 user

If you don't have one, I'd suggest getting a credit card. Just buy the things you'll need to get by with until loan disbursements come out in mid August and then pay the card off. It also helps with building credit which is never a bad thing!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have a credit card? I've been putting only larger purchases I've had to make on my card, then paying whatever I can afford to each month to pay it off.

I had to pay for med school apps with a credit card (2600$ in debt) and I've been working full time to pay that off. I have one year of 0% interest which is up in July. So I can't really afford to put anything on a credit card I can't pay off by July or else ill get slammed with like 20% interest.

I did the same; put all my application fees on my credit card, but I paid it all off within 3 months after I was done applying. I've been putting all big expenses on it since then (matriculation and acceptance fee, travel for interviews, etc). I know interest sucks, but if you pay it all off once your loan comes in, then there will be no interest accumulated.

The easy answer is to borrow someone's for the first lab. I haven't used my full kit since. Nobody asks if the kit is yours or not. After the first lab, it's a month or 2 before you need an otoscope.

Reactions: 1 users
KCUMB and UNECOM

I really like KCUMB. I was in your position when applying (not the same schools), and I gave up a half tuition scholarship to come here. I guess that means I was pretty confident in the quality of education at KCUMB. The curriculum is systems based, so we get each system once first year and once second year. The curriculum is challenging, which I like, I would much rather be challenged in the pretty low stakes environment of med school classes rather than being challenged for the first time on boards or in the clinic. I would assume that the curriculum is preparing me for the boards, but I'm just a first year so I'll let @AlteredScale comment on that.

Last edited:
Anyone know of any good apartments near Overland Park? Or is that too far of a commute to school?

Anyone know of any good apartments near Overland Park? Or is that too far of a commute to school?

I live in Overland Park. It's far if you are gonna drive to school every day. I usually stay home on days where there isn't required stuff.

I really like KCUMB. I was in your position when applying (not the same schools), and I gave up a half tuition scholarship to come here. I guess that means I was pretty confident in the quality of education at KCUMB. The curriculum is systems based, so we get each system once first year and once second year. The curriculum is challenging, which I like, I would much rather be challenged in the pretty low stakes environment of med school classes rather than being challenged for the first time on boards or in the clinic. I would assume that the curriculum is preparing me for the boards, but I'm just a first year so I'll let @AlteredScale comment on that.

Sure it prepares you, but I think that what you put into your classes is what matters the most. If you go into your classes trying to get the absolute most out of each one, board studying is going to come much easier for you. If you are just passing classes and slipping by, the "hard curriculum" may not make that big of a difference. Make the most out of your first two years. It will pay off once you start studying for boards.

I live in Overland Park. It's far if you are gonna drive to school every day. I usually stay home on days where there isn't required stuff.

Do you like the Overland Park? Can I ask why you chose to live there instead of KC? I hear OP is a pretty nice spread out city.

Do you like the Overland Park? Can I ask why you chose to live there instead of KC? I hear OP is a pretty nice spread out city.

I'm a Kansas City native myself. Overland Park is generally considered the nicest part of town right now. Everyone wants to live there and the homes are priced accordingly. Personally, I don't think there is much in OP that you get that you don't get elsewhere, and you are likely to pay more for it. Liberty, Blue Springs, or Lee's Summit are just as nice and more reasonably priced areas. KCK and KCMO aren't great places to live. Raytown, Westport, and Western Independence are generally places to also avoid if you want to live in a really nice part of town.

Generally, there isn't much close to the campus that is considered the nice "safe" part of KC, but for a young person that isn't raising a family, the whole metropolis of KC is hard to beat. You'll be hard pressed to find areas that you are genuinely uncomfortable in.

Reactions: 3 users
For those that have found place to live what kind of monthly rent are you paying???

Has anyone lived in the Gillham house? If so feedback? I know the neighborhood is not ideal.

I'm a Kansas City native myself. Overland Park is generally considered the nicest part of town right now. Everyone wants to live there and the homes are priced accordingly. Personally, I don't think there is much in OP that you get that you don't get elsewhere, and you are likely to pay more for it. Liberty, Blue Springs, or Lee's Summit are just as nice and more reasonably priced areas. KCK and KCMO aren't great places to live. Raytown, Westport, and Western Independence are generally places to also avoid if you want to live in a really nice part of town.

Generally, there isn't much close to the campus that is considered the nice "safe" part of KC, but for a young person that isn't raising a family, the whole metropolis of KC is hard to beat. You'll be hard pressed to find areas that you are genuinely uncomfortable in.

Hello Native ! So I am looking at Gillham House at 3411 Gillham Rd. I know it is not a super nice part of town but is it dangerous? and if so where on the danger scale if 0 is leave it to beaver and 10 is the wire?

Are the bedrooms in CT well lit at night using the light fixtures already in the ceiling, or am I gonna need to buy a bunch of lamps for my late night study sesh's?

Are the bedrooms in CT well lit at night using the light fixtures already in the ceiling, or am I gonna need to buy a bunch of lamps for my late night study sesh's?

This is something I hadn't thought about, but now I'm curious as well haha

How is everyone planning to furnish their CT apartments?
Are there any students who have used Cort Furniture Rentals or similar services?

Are there any students who have used Cort Furniture Rentals or similar services?

There's an Ikea ~20 minutes from CT that I know I'm going to get my bed from at least. I'm bringing a few things from home too via moving truck.

There's an Ikea ~20 minutes from CT that I know I'm going to get my bed from at least. I'm bringing a few things from home too via moving truck.

I live in PA so not really gonna drive a truck AND my car.

Just gonna bring basics, clothes, plates, microwave, slowcooker, laptop
gonna be buying bed, desk, chair all at ikea.

I did some quick math, and these are very conservative estimates, but if you wanna buy a brand new bed, desk, desk chair, dresser, night table, book shelf and lamp, it will probably run you like a total of like $1800 (again that's an estimate that purposefully is on the high side). You can use it for two years and then sell it at a loss for probably like $1300 total to incoming students planning on living in CT and so you basically got a fully decked out bedroom for a mere $250 a year.

Hello Native ! So I am looking at Gillham House at 3411 Gillham Rd. I know it is not a super nice part of town but is it dangerous? and if so where on the danger scale if 0 is leave it to beaver and 10 is the wire?

Without knowing what the wire is, I would probably give it a strong 7. Definitely, wouldn't raise a family there. It should be okay-ish for a medical student that doesn't plan to be out on the town at night.

That part of the city get's pretty hit or miss as far as safety is concerned. To your east, southeast, south, and southwest are some of the most dangerous neighborhoods. Immediately northwest are some of the cities best attractions, the WWI memorial, Crown Center, and union station. Not far from there is the streetcar and downtown area. Directly south is the Nelson-Atkins art museum.

The area there is a little less dangerous or comparable to the area the school is in. If you want a really safe area you'll have to get east of I-435, or look around in the overland park, Olathe areas. There isn't any free lunch here. You'll have a pretty even trade off between safety, cost, and commute. I'd just recommend getting somewhere close to a main interstate, like I-70, 435, or 470. If I were you I would visit KC before signing anything. Go with several diverse options, close in like Gilmore or CT, and further out in Blue Springs, or Overland Park. Test the commute times for yourself, see if you are comfortable living in the area.

A good option if you value safety and things to do would be around the I-470/291 and I-70 interchange. Idependence ridge, Cornerstone Apartments, ect. You'd be next to the Independence center ( a large mall), and a huge commercial area, which includes a Bass Pro ;). The commute is simple and fast despite being ~15 miles.

Without knowing what the wire is, I would probably give it a strong 7. Definitely, wouldn't raise a family there. It should be okay-ish for a medical student that doesn't plan to be out on the town at night.

That part of the city get's pretty hit or miss as far as safety is concerned. To your east, southeast, south, and southwest are some of the most dangerous neighborhoods. Immediately northwest are some of the cities best attractions, the WWI memorial, Crown Center, and union station. Not far from there is the streetcar and downtown area. Directly south is the Nelson-Atkins art museum.

The area there is a little less dangerous or comparable to the area the school is in. If you want a really safe area you'll have to get east of I-435, or look around in the overland park, Olathe areas. There isn't any free lunch here. You'll have a pretty even trade off between safety, cost, and commute. I'd just recommend getting somewhere close to a main interstate, like I-70, 435, or 470. If I were you I would visit KC before signing anything. Go with several diverse options, close in like Gilmore or CT, and further out in Blue Springs, or Overland Park. Test the commute times for yourself, see if you are comfortable living in the area.

A good option if you value safety and things to do would be around the I-470/291 and I-70 interchange. Idependence ridge, Cornerstone Apartments, ect. You'd be next to the Independence center ( a large mall), and a huge commercial area, which includes a Bass Pro ;). The commute is simple and fast despite being ~15 miles.
Hello KC-DO,

How about the Denton apartment at KC? How is the neighbourhood? I heard that northern KC is pretty nice in general.

The wire is perhaps one of the greatest television shows ever, if you have time to watch it and access to an HBOGO account you should def watch it before school starts, it's not that long (~5 seasons) and has some of the best characters to ever be written into a television show

Hello KC-DO,

How about the Denton apartment at KC? How is the neighbourhood? I heard that northern KC is pretty nice in general.

I have friends that live in the Denton. It's a nice place. I live on the north side, about 5 min from the Denton. It's a nice area, for sure.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

The wire is perhaps one of the greatest television shows ever, if you have time to watch it and access to an HBOGO account you should def watch it before school starts, it's not that long (~5 seasons) and has some of the best characters to ever be written into a television show

Can we be friends? : ) I was hoping someone would understand that reference and all its glory

T

Thank you very much for the thorough response. I have been to KC before. I think I am happy to get a cheaper place in this area and just not wander out at night. Although not being close to Bass Pro is a bummer :)

Coming from CA, I didn't want to bring a moving truck. Just brought my clothes and futon mattress. Got almost everything from IKEA.

However, if you're on the FB page, many students in CT and surrounding are selling their furniture for reasonable prices. Also, if you can fit it in your car or want to rent a truck, Craigslist and FB Marketplace always have options.

Many students also have some of the other items like a TV shipped directly to CT.

Coming from CA, I didn't want to bring a moving truck. Just brought my clothes and futon mattress. Got almost everything from IKEA.

However, if you're on the FB page, many students in CT and surrounding are selling their furniture for reasonable prices. Also, if you can fit it in your car or want to rent a truck, Craigslist and FB Marketplace always have options.

Many students also have some of the other items like a TV shipped directly to CT.

Do a lot of people at CT have TVs?

Do most students direct deposit loans into their checking or savings account? Or does it not matter?

How screwed am I if I buy no textbooks prior to starting school? It feels like a lot of the older students are offering their textbooks on the FB group but like I have no clue which ones so actually need or don't need yet.

I already have access to the Google drive with all the PDFs of textbooks.

Popping in (current 2nd year) to answer some questions about CT. (If I missed one, please feel free to message me, I've lived here for two years in a one bedroom)

Okay so renters insurance - it does NOT have to be from that company but you do need it. I found the best deal with State Farm (I think it was $115 for the year instead of $175 I was quoted from the company CT recommended?)

Furniture - I moved from Florida and brought only what fit in my car and am only taking back what fits in it. Point is, a lot of us will be selling furniture in the upcoming months and there's on site storage so if you buy something and that person is leaving before you get here, they can put it in a storage unit for you. I'll be here till the end of the July and will post furniture things on the FB page sometime in the near future lol. We'll see :p

The area is plenty safe if you just stay aware of your surroundings. I've never had any issues and CT itself isn't sketchy. People can say all they want about the area, but the actual piece of land between CT and all of campus is well covered by security. Leasing office can be a bit of a pain sometimes but just smile and be friendly and you'll have no problems.

Lights in the apartment are perfectly fine. You have one fluorescent set in each room, four lights in the kitchen and two in the bathroom. You're only responsible for replacing normal light bulbs, they replace the fluorescent ones. The only additional lighting I have is a lamp by the couch for yellow light over fluorescent when I don't need the bright light and a light by my bed for reading.

I have a TV but I didn't buy cable. I use it for Netflix at night and I connected it to my computer for a while for some awesome 40" dual-monitoring haha. There are lots of outlets in the rooms and plenty of storage space in the kitchen, closet, and bathrooms. I can comfortably fit a queen bed and desk in my bedroom and a couch, chair, coffee table, TV/stand, and large cat tree in my living room. Rent is cheap, I never have to worry about utilities (keep it freezing in summer and nice and warm in winter), and I love seeing neighbors when I come home from a long day of studying. It took some time to figure out who was on my floor but I love knowing that if I needed something, there's friends down the hall.

Any other questions just tag me or something, I'll check in if I get a notification haha.

Popping in (current 2nd year) to answer some questions about CT. (If I missed one, please feel free to message me, I've lived here for two years in a one bedroom)

Okay so renters insurance - it does NOT have to be from that company but you do need it. I found the best deal with State Farm (I think it was $115 for the year instead of $175 I was quoted from the company CT recommended?)

Furniture - I moved from Florida and brought only what fit in my car and am only taking back what fits in it. Point is, a lot of us will be selling furniture in the upcoming months and there's on site storage so if you buy something and that person is leaving before you get here, they can put it in a storage unit for you. I'll be here till the end of the July and will post furniture things on the FB page sometime in the near future lol. We'll see :p

The area is plenty safe if you just stay aware of your surroundings. I've never had any issues and CT itself isn't sketchy. People can say all they want about the area, but the actual piece of land between CT and all of campus is well covered by security. Leasing office can be a bit of a pain sometimes but just smile and be friendly and you'll have no problems.

Lights in the apartment are perfectly fine. You have one fluorescent set in each room, four lights in the kitchen and two in the bathroom. You're only responsible for replacing normal light bulbs, they replace the fluorescent ones. The only additional lighting I have is a lamp by the couch for yellow light over fluorescent when I don't need the bright light and a light by my bed for reading.

I have a TV but I didn't buy cable. I use it for Netflix at night and I connected it to my computer for a while for some awesome 40" dual-monitoring haha. There are lots of outlets in the rooms and plenty of storage space in the kitchen, closet, and bathrooms. I can comfortably fit a queen bed and desk in my bedroom and a couch, chair, coffee table, TV/stand, and large cat tree in my living room. Rent is cheap, I never have to worry about utilities (keep it freezing in summer and nice and warm in winter), and I love seeing neighbors when I come home from a long day of studying. It took some time to figure out who was on my floor but I love knowing that if I needed something, there's friends down the hall.

Any other questions just tag me or something, I'll check in if I get a notification haha.

Is the space in the Centro which is the smaller double room enough for two people? I'm referring to the space outside of the bedrooms. Are they cramped?