Kansas City University (KCUMB-COB) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

png08

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen a few discussion threads for the Biomedical Sciences Degree at KCUMB in the previous years. I figured I'd go ahead and create one for this year, for those hoping to enter in the Fall of 2017, or for those who just have questions in general.!

I was accepted for the Fall and would love to start getting in touch with everyone who is planning on or interested in attending!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I was also accepted last week. For reference, having just finished reading the posts from last year, my stats are: science 3.4 cum 3.55 non-science 3.63 MCAT 508. To be totally transparent, 508 was my second attempt. The first was 507. The thing that killed my score was the CARS section...first time I got 88th percentile, second time I got 50th percentile with an improvement of 10-15 percentile points in all other sections, so its likely I'd have gotten 512 or higher had it not been for my lack of sleep and stress. Anyways, I got my acceptance about a week and a half after i applied. I am currently in the hunt for a MD/COM slot at a few places, have had one interview and hoping to maybe get a couple more (but that's always up in the air, ya know). I think I will accept the COB offer to be on the safe side. One thing to note is the changes in AACOMAS for next cycle....if you've retaken classes (I have retaken 2 classes in undergrad), the GPA calculator may leave our undergrad scores a little different. Hopefully this won't matter much since the MS degree should be what gets most attention. (Perhaps others can chime in on this point). From a helpfulness standpoint, I have some friends in M1 now at UNMC in Omaha who state that the highest scores in their class are students who either have PhDs already or those who have attended the year long master's programs, so I would be excited to do this program if I don't get accepted. Looking forward to getting to know y'all!

Reactions: 1 user
I was also accepted last week. For reference, having just finished reading the posts from last year, my stats are: science 3.4 cum 3.55 non-science 3.63 MCAT 508. To be totally transparent, 508 was my second attempt. The first was 507. The thing that killed my score was the CARS section...first time I got 88th percentile, second time I got 50th percentile with an improvement of 10-15 percentile points in all other sections, so its likely I'd have gotten 512 or higher had it not been for my lack of sleep and stress. Anyways, I got my acceptance about a week and a half after i applied. I am currently in the hunt for a MD/COM slot at a few places, have had one interview and hoping to maybe get a couple more (but that's always up in the air, ya know). I think I will accept the COB offer to be on the safe side. One thing to note is the changes in AACOMAS for next cycle....if you've retaken classes (I have retaken 2 classes in undergrad), the GPA calculator may leave our undergrad scores a little different. Hopefully this won't matter much since the MS degree should be what gets most attention. (Perhaps others can chime in on this point). From a helpfulness standpoint, I have some friends in M1 now at UNMC in Omaha who state that the highest scores in their class are students who either have PhDs already or those who have attended the year long master's programs, so I would be excited to do this program if I don't get accepted. Looking forward to getting to know y'all!
Did interview for the DO at KCUCOM? Or did you just apply for the COB? Congrats btw, your stats look great!

Members don't see this ad :)
Current COB student here if anyone wants to message me with questions!

Did interview for the DO at KCUCOM? Or did you just apply for the COB? Congrats btw, your stats look great!

Thanks! I did retake 2 science classes due to having failed them earlier on in my college career so those numbers will likely go down a bit in the next cycle but hopefully that doesn't matter as much if someone is doing well with the COB grades. I did apply to COM, albeit a bit later in the cycle considering most people are getting their stuff in as early as June/July. I was rejected pretty quickly actually but they gave the option to apply for the Master's so i basically did that right away and a week later or so got an acceptance for COB. I could apply to other master's programs but if accepted to one, why bother with all the rest. My curiosity is.....isn't one just as good as another? If not, is there qualitative proof of why not? I guess now I really need to go and have a look over the curriculum and start making some rudimentary plans on how to prepare a little in advance. Kind of excited to move away from Omaha to someplace a little bigger. Omaha is not my jam really.

Current COB student here if anyone wants to message me with questions!

What's your overview of the program? If you had to give advice to prepare what would it be? Are you from the KC area and have you worked at all during the program?

Hey I got accepted into KCU COB for Fall 2017 received the email, and the snail mail. Haven't secured my seat yet with the matriculation fee and the agreement. Could you give me an overview of the program? Could you also tell me what graduates generally do after the program? Also could you tell me the tuition costs if I am out of state i.e. Virginia?

Last edited:
What are competitive stats for this program? My girlfriend is interested in the COB. What ECs make you competitive?

What are competitive stats for this program? My girlfriend is interested in the COB. What ECs make you competitive?

ImageUploadedBySDN1485709043.607943.jpg

This is what I had found for the current class, if this helps!

Hey I got accepted into KCU COB for Fall 2017 received the email, and the snail mail. Haven't secured my seat yet with the matriculation fee and the agreement. Could you give me an overview of the program? Could you also tell me what graduates generally do after the program? Also could you tell me the tuition costs if I am out of state i.e. Virginia?

What's your overview of the program? If you had to give advice to prepare what would it be? Are you from the KC area and have you worked at all during the program?

Okay this post will be long but hopefully answer your questions!

So an overview of the program is that it is a fast-paced, science heavy curriculum that I feel will be a tremendously helpful "stepping stone" of sorts into medical school. It's much more difficult than undergrad but also obviously not as crazy as med school. There are a lot of former COB students in the COM here and they consistently perform better than their peers and have excellent things to say about COB. I think a lot of this is due to the former COB students learning how to study and simply being more prepared for medical school curriculum versus those who come straight from undergrad. You might think you know how to study but trust me when I say this will probably change once you get out of college when you realize just how much you still have to learn!

In the Fall you take five courses (subject to change, as they are always trying to improve the curriculum) which include Human Physiology, Biochemistry, Intro to Epidemiology, Comparative Anatomy, and either Microbiology or Histology (you get to pick). In the Spring you take Molecular Bio, Human Phys II, Comp Anatomy II, Immunology, either Genetics or Embryology and then you also have a seminar class that meets about every other week where you work on preparing a presentation. My only real complaint about the curriculum is this year is the first year they are doing comparative anatomy instead of human anatomy and especially this second semester is very unorganized and poorly taught. During first semester we all wanted to gauge our eyes out as we had to learn in-depth anatomy and development of fish, amphibians, reptiles, etc and it was frustrating when we all hope to become physicians and couldn't care less about fish..second semester is about primate anatomy and evolution and it is a lot of material crammed into one class.
However, the dean and other faculty really value our input and are constantly working to improve things so this course will likely be tweaked for next year.

I'd say a lot of graduates of the program hope to go on to medical school (and many of them do) but some students also do other health professions like pharmacy, dentistry, etc. I believe a couple of my classmates are hoping to do a PhD program as well.

As for tuition, the program costs $28,000 for an 11 month program which is pretty reasonable I'd say. However, you are HIGHLY encouraged to not have a job while you are in the program and I would second that as it really does take up a lot of time and adding in a job would be very stressful. So the cost of attendance is actually around $54,000 for the year. But I will say if you are moving down with a S.O. or are still mooching off mom and dad at all (ie phone bill, car insurance, etc) you won't probably need that much, especially if you live in century towers with a roommate.

I don't really have any advice on how to prepare for it since I'm assuming you have a college degree and have taken difficult science classes prior to starting this program. Keep up with your studying from day 1 of class and do not get behind is really my only advice. And seek out help if you need it. There are plenty of resources on campus for students and there is really no reason anyone should struggle!

I am not from the KC area, I'm from about 3 hours away and like I said, I'd highly suggest not trying to work. Unless you have a crazy flexible job that will let you work on like a 3 day weekend or holiday break/spring break or something. If you are going to spend this kind of money on a program you absolutely want to make sure you do well!

So you've been accepted by now?

Yes I've been accepted at three DO programs but my KCU interview isn't until March which is when they interview their COB students. (This is a change for this year)

Yes I've been accepted at three DO programs but my KCU interview isn't until March which is when they interview their COB students. (This is a change for this year)

For some reason I remember reading that there is a January interview date as well for those with greater than 3.5 GPA at COB and an already high MCAT score. Maybe I'm mis-remembering things?

Members don't see this ad :)
@strely2 unless they've already changed it for next year they only do them in March!

That must be why KCU is done offering new Interviews for the year! Best of luck hopefully your interview at com goes well and we'll be classmates in the fall!

@strely2 unless they've already changed it for next year they only do them in March!

So are there a certain number of seats saved for COB students or, let's say they have a lot of great applicants and fill up all the seats prior to a student's March interview, are the students interviewing in March just kind of SOL?

So are there a certain number of seats saved for COB students or, let's say they have a lot of great applicants and fill up all the seats prior to a student's March interview, are the students interviewing in March just kind of SOL?

They were somewhat vague about this. I don't believe they necessarily "save" us seats but even by March the class won't officially be full, students will get accepted into their state schools, MD programs, etc by this time and give up their seat. Our class has about 100 students and its not like we are all being offered an interview, and some people are waiting until next cycle to apply. I would guess less than half are hoping for a COM spot. And with KC campus having ~270 seats and Joplin having ~150 I'd say there will be plenty of open seats assuming they accept 2/3 - 3/4 of our class that gets an interview. However it is definitely still a gamble. I'm fortunate to have a solid backup in case KCU doesn't work out.

Hey Y'all iv been googling "KCU COB" for the past 2 months since I got accepted and I'm glad someone made a new thread:). Iv just been reading all the old ones. This is super helpful!

Why the COB?

I know... I'm confused. Why is this even posted here.

For those who are interested in, applied to, or have been accepted to KCUMBs MS of Biomedical Sciences...

If you understand there's a difference between COB & COM, I think you should understand why there's a thread for this years COB and also a thread for this years COM.

You might be losing me with your questions

For those who are interested in, applied to, or have been accepted to KCUMBs MS of Biomedical Sciences...

If you understand there's a difference between COB & COM, I think you should understand why there's a thread for this years COB and also a thread for this years COM.

You might be losing me with your questions

Right and this is a message board for DO's

Is this KCU's SMP or something?

Sorrry not trying to be rude. is it supposed to be a bridge into their COM?

Yes, Pre - DO forum. Bc although this is for COB many students who consider KCUCOB are also interested/considering KCUCOM.

That isn't my particular reason for attending but the thread isn't just for me, it's for everyone's situation. I'm not interest in COM so I haven't done much research on them.

But as you can see a current COB student has joined the thread to help answer questions about the COM application/interview process for COB students. Which I think they did very well. I'm sure they can help with any questions!!

This is their SMP. No COB thread has been created for it and it is okay that they use the COM thread since traffic for COB is low. So it's fine.

This is their SMP. No COB thread has been created for it and it is okay that they use the COM thread since traffic for COB is low. So it's fine.

Thanks boss... even though that wasn't needed. Wasn't sure what it was, which is why I asked:asshat:

Yes, Pre - DO forum. Bc although this is for COB many students who consider KCUCOB are also interested/considering KCUCOM.

That isn't my particular reason for attending but the thread isn't just for me, it's for everyone's situation. I'm not interest in COM so I haven't done much research on them.

But as you can see a current COB student has joined the thread to help answer questions about the COM application/interview process for COB students. Which I think they did very well. I'm sure they can help with any questions!!

Purely out of curiosity, what is your interest in pursuing the COB if your end goal isn't admission to the COM? PhD?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey guys . Been accepted to the COB class of 2017.This question may have been asked in some capacity, but I wanted to know what exactly the linkage is for the College of bioscience.
Does anyone have any information on what percentage of students from earlier cob classes were accepted into KCU-COM. Any light shed on this would greatly help thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using SDN mobile

Hey guys . Been accepted to the COB class of 2017.This question may have been asked in some capacity, but I wanted to know what exactly the linkage is for the College of bioscience.
Does anyone have any information on what percentage of students from earlier cob classes were accepted into KCU-COM. Any light shed on this would greatly help thanks

I'd say it probably varies from year to year but I believe they told us that roughly 45 students from last years COB class applied and 28 were accepted into COM. They've totally changed up how they go about accepting COB students though for this year (see previous post) so I'm not sure what our numbers will be like. Rumor has it that they received ~70 secondary apps from our class of 108. With the addition of Joplin campus that could really mean they take more of us as well.

Something to keep in mind is that even though they may have accepted let's say half the class, some that do the COB aren't looking to go to the com. (Want to do research, dentistry, go somewhere else, etc.)

Does anyone know where we are to send things like our official transcripts, immunization record, etc.? I haven't gotten any information about a mailing address, but I'd like to get the whole process of turning in materials started and completed sooner rather than later. There's a lot of prompts to email admissions or call admissions, but since they're closed and some of you might be wondering the same, I figured i'd ask on here. Is there a portal we can login to in order to see the checklist and what has/hasn't been received so we know where to focus our attention on contacting to complete the requirements? If there is one, I haven't gotten any information on it.

Does anyone know where we are to send things like our official transcripts, immunization record, etc.? I haven't gotten any information about a mailing address, but I'd like to get the whole process of turning in materials started and completed sooner rather than later. There's a lot of prompts to email admissions or call admissions, but since they're closed and some of you might be wondering the same, I figured i'd ask on here. Is there a portal we can login to in order to see the checklist and what has/hasn't been received so we know where to focus our attention on contacting to complete the requirements? If there is one, I haven't gotten any information on it.

Send scans and send them in electronically. From there the school should email you back to tell you what you have and what you're missing. If there's a delay I'd call adimissions directly.

Uhh, why are you doing a post bacc? Not necessary with your stats.

I guess I'm going for the master's because one never really knows what will and won't be enough to get accepted so this is the next logical step. A master's degree confers greater confidence that i'd get accepted than post bac courses. If I didn't need it with these stats, i don't suppose I would have been rejected for the COM, but since I was (which could also be a result of applying late in the cycle) I want to continue improving my application while conferring to myself the best possible chance of getting accepted.

Send scans and send them in electronically. From there the school should email you back to tell you what you have and what you're missing. If there's a delay I'd call adimissions directly.

Its been my experience that schools don't accept scans of official transcripts, but they rather want them to come from the university directly that I attended. I can't have the mailed out if I don't know where to send them.

Also, only one of the schools I attended sends their transcripts electronically, the others are all paper. So....I am supposed to send the materials to myself and scan and email those?

Just got my acceptance to the COB program. Barring a miracle acceptance from a DO program, I will be attending.

Reactions: 2 users
Based on what I'm reading, the COB uses MCAT and program GPA for COM admissions criteria right? I just found about the AACOMAS grade remediation policy and I have a few classes that I failed. I haven't done any math but averaging a few 0.00s into my GPA isn't going to be good. I already have the 503 mcat but a repaired GPA of only 3.3. Maybe I should retake the MCAT for a higher score?

Well it always seems to be that, no matter how much they tell you that you're being considered as a whole person, the more honest portrayal of the truth is inevitably that you are only a GPA and an MCAT score. That jazz about "we look at the whole person" is so that you'll boost their revenue stream by wasting money to apply to the medical program. That being said, unless you have a 4.0 all through COB, you're gonna be competing essentially with a lot of higher scorers. From my perspective, I got a 508 with a CARS score that was only in the 58th percentile (hadn't slept well the night before and hadn't eaten for like two days because I was anxious), and I feel like my score is low...definitely lower than it should/could be. My GPA is 3.45 and that's what's holding me back (poor primary education in Georgia and ultimately left me poorly prepared for college so my first year or two kinda killed my GPA). Sharing my stats to illustrate, essentially, the point that even I have been having a hard time getting any second looks from med schools. A higher MCAT wouldn't hurt, but definitely make sure that you keep your COB GPA high.

Well it always seems to be that, no matter how much they tell you that you're being considered as a whole person, the more honest portrayal of the truth is inevitably that you are only a GPA and an MCAT score. That jazz about "we look at the whole person" is so that you'll boost their revenue stream by wasting money to apply to the medical program. That being said, unless you have a 4.0 all through COB, you're gonna be competing essentially with a lot of higher scorers. From my perspective, I got a 508 with a CARS score that was only in the 58th percentile (hadn't slept well the night before and hadn't eaten for like two days because I was anxious), and I feel like my score is low...definitely lower than it should/could be. My GPA is 3.45 and that's what's holding me back (poor primary education in Georgia and ultimately left me poorly prepared for college so my first year or two kinda killed my GPA). Sharing my stats to illustrate, essentially, the point that even I have been having a hard time getting any second looks from med schools. A higher MCAT wouldn't hurt, but definitely make sure that you keep your COB GPA high.

uhh so you have a ug GPA of 3.45 and an MCAT of 508 and ended up in the COB? From my reading, those stats seem prime for a DO admissions granted you check all the boxes and don't have any red flags. Also, from what I am gathering from your story the 3.45 has a large trend up since you mentioned that you tanked your first two years. I'm not calling you out, but if you are being truthful then my anxiety level is increasing for next cycle lol

Yep, I applied to the COM a little later than I had hoped to have everything done because the doc writing my LOR didn't get it in til late and then the premed committee didn't add it to my committee letter packet but told me that they did. Basically, I didn't get everything turned in until around mid january. Face palm! Essentially, I have met all the academic requirements and then some, 2 degrees with a clear upward swing (almost entirely all A's in the last 4 semesters), military experience, study abroad experience, 600+ hours of working as a medical scribe directly in the room with the patients and the doctor in addition to shadowing, volunteering, disadvantaged upbringing... I always think that if they can turn a candidate down like me, they can turn anyone down, but it is really most indicative of the fact (in my humble opinion) that they really ONLY care about GPA and MCAT. Sure, I didn't get things turned in until later....that was a huge disadvantage that i will not replicate this cycle, but still...a school, in the interest of keeping their "process" secret/confidential/call-it-what-you-will, will not attempt to prove that they actually consider other metrics and should they attempt to prove it, I am very convinced it would just corroborate what I already believed. That isn't to say I'm not entirely wrong....but I'd need evidence, for which I have found none. My personal thoughts about what you have going....re-taking the MCAT wouldn't be a bad idea (unless you don't think you can do better than that). Making sure you stay as close to a 4.0 in COB as you can would also help immensely. My impression is that if you have a high COB GPA and apply early, 503 will hurt but not prevent you from getting in somewhere, provided you apply broadly. I have a buddy who got in at DM with something like a 3.2-3.3 but a 509 MCAT and he applied and had everything turned in around October. He also did well in his interview, so that's a consideration to keep in mind as well. As for my plans...apply again early this year, grab another LOR from a physician, do some more volunteering between now and when I start COB. I am also already studying ahead for the anatomy/embryo and making some flashcards with Anki. Anything that can be done to help improve your candidacy that isn't academically related while you make the necessary preparations to do well academically from the start can only benefit you. My advice for not being anxious is for this to truly not be your only plan for a future. A good back up plan eases the mind significantly.

Yep, I applied to the COM a little later than I had hoped to have everything done because the doc writing my LOR didn't get it in til late and then the premed committee didn't add it to my committee letter packet but told me that they did. Basically, I didn't get everything turned in until around mid january. Face palm! Essentially, I have met all the academic requirements and then some, 2 degrees with a clear upward swing (almost entirely all A's in the last 4 semesters), military experience, study abroad experience, 600+ hours of working as a medical scribe directly in the room with the patients and the doctor in addition to shadowing, volunteering, disadvantaged upbringing... I always think that if they can turn a candidate down like me, they can turn anyone down, but it is really most indicative of the fact (in my humble opinion) that they really ONLY care about GPA and MCAT. Sure, I didn't get things turned in until later....that was a huge disadvantage that i will not replicate this cycle, but still...a school, in the interest of keeping their "process" secret/confidential/call-it-what-you-will, will not attempt to prove that they actually consider other metrics and should they attempt to prove it, I am very convinced it would just corroborate what I already believed. That isn't to say I'm not entirely wrong....but I'd need evidence, for which I have found none. My personal thoughts about what you have going....re-taking the MCAT wouldn't be a bad idea (unless you don't think you can do better than that). Making sure you stay as close to a 4.0 in COB as you can would also help immensely. My impression is that if you have a high COB GPA and apply early, 503 will hurt but not prevent you from getting in somewhere, provided you apply broadly. I have a buddy who got in at DM with something like a 3.2-3.3 but a 509 MCAT and he applied and had everything turned in around October. He also did well in his interview, so that's a consideration to keep in mind as well. As for my plans...apply again early this year, grab another LOR from a physician, do some more volunteering between now and when I start COB. I am also already studying ahead for the anatomy/embryo and making some flashcards with Anki. Anything that can be done to help improve your candidacy that isn't academically related while you make the necessary preparations to do well academically from the start can only benefit you. My advice for not being anxious is for this to truly not be your only plan for a future. A good back up plan eases the mind significantly.

If your GPA doesn't dip below 3.2 after factoring in your early grades, don't attend the COB. It doesn't make sense to spend $50k and risk not improving your chances when you will get in. You should be in perfect shape to apply broadly on day one, if you don't get called off a list in the next month or so.

The March 17th deadline for $500 deposit approaching. My wallet cried a little bit until I saw the COM $2000 deposit

Excuse my delay...Just saw this.

My end goal is dental school! Just trying to enhance my academic record. Postbaccs were an option, but I chose masters bc its upper level. I'm from KC, after graduation I didn't want to come back, so I applied to plenty out of state schools & got accepted, but due to my family needing my support I came home. It's best I stay in the area for another year or so, which left me to pursue UMKC and KCUMB. KCUMB's curriculum was more appealing to me and the purpose of the program (by that I mean most people are completing the MS BMS to pursue a professional school) vs UMKC, who offered a MS in Chemistry & MS in Cell/Molecular Bio, where most of the students are pursuing careers in research or a PhD (based on what the program directors told me.) Applied to KCU COB & UMKC MS in Cell/Molecular Bio, accepted to both. I chose the program that I felt would benefit me and my journey the most, which was KCUMB.

Best of luck to you!

Does anyone know if its too late to apply to COB? I did not get accepted into dental school this round and want to boost my chances for next cycle. Hoping its not too late! Also, does anyone know class sizes for COB?

Does anyone know if its too late to apply to COB? I did not get accepted into dental school this round and want to boost my chances for next cycle. Hoping its not too late! Also, does anyone know class sizes for COB?

Pretty sure it's rolling admission! & last years class size was 108 I believe.

There is a group they invite you to join after you get accepted to connect with others who have been accepted. right now there's about 45-50 students in the group. I'm assuming everyone who joined plans on attending, but that may not be the case and there may be some who have been accepted and not joined the group yet.

But they also have deadline to lock in your seat with the acceptance fee so they give you a chance to consider their offer but only like a month. lol So it seems like they do that so they can move on to the next eligible applicant! I'd say go for it!

Last edited:
The March 17th deadline for $500 deposit approaching. My wallet cried a little bit until I saw the COM $2000 deposit

My deadline was in January & I had the exact same thoughts, especially after seeing that 2000 lol made me grateful for only the 500 !

Pretty sure it's rolling admission! & last years class size was 108 I believe.

There is a group they invite you to join after you get accepted to connect with others who have been accepted. right now there's about 45-50 students in the group. I'm assuming everyone who joined plans on attending, but that may not be the case and there may be some who have been accepted and not joined the group yet.

But they also have deadline to lock in your seat with the acceptance fee so they give you a chance to consider their offer but only like a month. lol So it seems like they do that so they can move on to the next eligible applicant! I'd say go for it!

Currently in that group, but withdrawing my acceptance. By some miracle of God, I got into my state MD school this cycle. KCU just made another free $500, and tomorrow there will be another open spot in the COB! I paid my deposit mid-January as well.

Not too late. I applied in May last year and was accepted. I think the deadline is June 15th (at least it was last year).

Does anyone have any ideas how competitive it is? I am trying to boost my GPA from undergrad. (3.0 GPA and 17 AA DAT for dental school) I need something to help my application but I am worried even the masters programs won't accept me!

Does anyone have any ideas how competitive it is? I am trying to boost my GPA from undergrad. (3.0 GPA and 17 AA DAT for dental school) I need something to help my application but I am worried even the masters programs won't accept me!

They mention somewhere a 3.0 GPA being required or strongly preferred. So if you have that then a strong showing in this type of program would probably be of benefit to your goal. Good luck and apply now!