Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
me think one of the most important things is how I felt and what I heard at interview day... students seemed HAPPY. So did the staff. I went to this interview last minute, having already had a couple MD and DO acceptances, but ended up loving KCUMB, which is where I will be attending this fall. This school has an awesome feel to it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think s/he is just a bitter person who did terrible on their board exam(s).

Last edited:
My financial aid award also lists a different tuition number than the listed on the KCUMB's website. I was thinking about emailing KCUMB but they haven't been responding to my previous emails.

Also, does anyone know when the deadline is to accept our financial aid award?

Members don't see this ad :)
My financial aid award also lists a different tuition number than the listed on the KCUMB's website. I was thinking about emailing KCUMB but they haven't been responding to my previous emails.

Also, does anyone know when the deadline is to accept our financial aid award?

I'm pretty sure the figure listed on the website is for last year.

To anyone starting this fall---how did you send in your vaccine and health history? Snail mail or email?

Anyone know which stores we should rent out furniture from?
Rent furniture for your apartment? I would highly advise against this. It's way too expensive. In the long run, you are much better off buying your own things. You can look at good will or other discount stores if you don't mind older used things. There are also some second year students on the facebook page that are selling their furniture.

If you want new stuff, I recommend buying everything from Nebraska furniture mart. It's close by and they have free delivery. They sell everything you need to furnish your apartment. It's cheap but you can sign up for a nebraska furniture mart credit card as well and just pay it off over time.

I agree with Lost Vagus on this one. The cheaper companies charge around 200/mo to furnish 1-2 rooms, so you're paying at least 4800 to rent for 2 years. You might as well spend 2-3 thousand and buy some nice furniture (and sell it later if you want). I know a few people that rented in my master's program, and while they had pretty nice apartments, they said they felt like they were wasting their money...

Does anyone know what time the white coat ceremony is this year (Aug 2)? The family is trying to make some travel arrangements. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was there last month and I think there is an IKEA opening up in KS.

But some furniture for like $500-700 and sell it when you're done.

IKEA is opening fall this year. I highly recommend it for furniture. And NEVER rent furniture or electronics for a long period of time.

111 days til orientation! Woo! Lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Only 1509 days till graduation

I made one of those ring chains and hung it in my work cubicle to count down the days....if I ever see a beige work cubicle after this it'll be too soon.......

Do they normally inform you if they received all of your necessary documents and immunizations?

How did you send them in?

I got a confirmation email.

---

Is the class this year really 270?
I sent them two emails, one was my immunizations and the other separate email was my insurance and physical. How long did it take you to get a confirmation? It may be because im on the waitlist. Somewhere earlier in the thread someone said the 2017 class was like 271.

Last edited:
Woo! All my paperwork is in and my transcripts received. Now I just have to sit and wait.....and find a place to live. lol.

Woo! All my paperwork is in and my transcripts received. Now I just have to sit and wait.....and find a place to live. lol.
Did they send you a confirmation email when they processed it? If so, how long from when you submitted it?

I waited a week and then emailed them myself and they emailed back 2 days later saying everything was in.

Heard some pretty cool info about the board prep that will be provided for our class. Kaplan came in and did a presentation and I think it's going to be pretty beneficial. Apparently we will get access to all the kaplan usmle and comlex videos, q bank (3,000 usmle and 2,000 comlex questions), text books, and 16 days of faculty lecturing in the spring before boards.

Typically in the past students either studied on their own, or had to pay out of pocket for a review course. This sounds like a great deal to me.

Reactions: 3 users
Heard some pretty cool info about the board prep that will be provided for our class. Kaplan came in and did a presentation and I think it's going to be pretty beneficial. Apparently we will get access to all the kaplan usmle and comlex videos, q bank (3,000 usmle and 2,000 comlex questions), text books, and 16 days of faculty lecturing in the spring before boards.

Typically in the past students either studied on their own, or had to pay out of pocket for a review course. This sounds like a great deal to me.

This is great news if it's true! Where did you hear it from?

Got accepted off the waitlist! So excited! This was my top choice!!

Reactions: 7 users
Wouldn't hurt, but highly doubt it is necessary

I plan to decline all my financial aid, since I don't need to take out loans. Should I send an email to admissions telling them where my money will be coming from?
Give me $50k and I'll tell you.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

I plan to decline all my financial aid, since I don't need to take out loans. Should I send an email to admissions telling them where my money will be coming from?

I would just send them a letter/email saying you will not be using federal aid for the first year. I don't think they'll care how you're paying as long as you do.

I would just send them a letter/email saying you will not be using federal aid for the first year. I don't think they'll care how you're paying as long as you do.
I agree with this, you may not even have to inform them but if you're cautious and worried, an email wouldn't hurt.

Got accepted off the waitlist! So excited! This was my top choice!!
Congrats!! Did they give you a phone call to let you know?

Have other people heard back about their financial aid yet? I turned in all of my paperwork like a month ago, but haven't yet gotten a response from KCUMB.

I know it's still early but does anyone know when more orientation information and schedule will go out?
This might give you an idea,
https://www.kcumb.edu/uploadedFiles/Content/Academics/_Assets/2013_18_FiveYearAcademicCalendar.pdf

Have other people heard back about their financial aid yet? I turned in all of my paperwork like a month ago, but haven't yet gotten a response from KCUMB.

I'm not sure but I bet sometime in late May or June you will get it. Anyone know if the class is full?

The accepted students Facebook group has over 300 people in it (obviously a number of those aren't class of 2018 students) but if the target size was only 270ish then I'd have to think its near full or over-full.

What paperwork? Did you do the netpartner stuff and accept the amounts they give?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What paperwork? Did you do the netpartner stuff and accept the amounts they give?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FAFSA & Netpartner applications, MPN. You can't accept amounts until they are awarded - mine still haven't been awarded.

FAFSA & Netpartner applications, MPN. You can't accept amounts until they are awarded - mine still haven't been awarded.

So you've gotten this email?

2014-2015 KCUMB Financial Aid Award Notice

Dear Student,

Your financial aid eligibility for the 2014-2015 school year has been determined, based on the information you submitted on your 2014-2015 FAFSA and KCUMB Application for Financial Aid. Please login to KCUMB Net Partner online financial aid system, review and accept or decline your financial aid award within 21 days. This is the same place you completed your KCUMB Application for Financial Aid.

I haven't even done my MPNs yet.

If you guys have completed the MPN for stafford and grad plus, how long did it take for it to get sent to KCUMB and updated on NetPartner? I had mine done after April 15th like they said, but it's been about 2-3 days. The entrance counseling never took that long, so I just want to make sure.

Thanks!
I did mine about a month ago and NetPartner hasn't updated.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

I called last week and asked and they said the MPNs out on the website were still from 2013-2014 and not to fill them out until the 2014-2015 forms were put on the website. I went to check last night to see if the new ones were out there, but it looks like the old ones are still there.