Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks and Yeah, got the call yesterday morning. Gotta find housing now.

What're you looking for?

Contact the realtor that works with KCUMB students.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone here knows of anyone needing a roommate to live in KC still, please message me!

Anyone know if we should wait to get our required books?

I'm waiting. I'd hate to jump the gun and waste a ton of money on books I'll rarely crack open.

Alright. Sounds good. Getting a bit nervous before school starts.

Reactions: 1 user
As a current M4, I don't think I bought a single textbook. There are some really good review books, but as for actual texts, I didn't purchase any. I had an ebook of (big) Robbins which I liked but other than that, just the lecture packets (which unfortunately they got rid of) and some review books and I was good to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not buy textbooks. First aid and an anatomy atlas is all you'll need. Probably will get Pathoma but there will be a group discount on that in the fall

Don't buy books. Most of them are available online or in the library. Most people recommend getting pathoma, first aid, and maybe the Dubin EKG book. Wait until after orientation to buy anything. The "required" book list costs well over 2,000... just wait and see what you need! There will most likely be some pdfs floating around and opportunities to download the books for free. Save your money for booze

As a current M4, I don't think I bought a single textbook. There are some really good review books, but as for actual texts, I didn't purchase any. I had an ebook of (big) Robbins which I liked but other than that, just the lecture packets (which unfortunately they got rid of) and some review books and I was good to go.

I'm hearing things that Dean Dubin really wants us to start reading a lot. Apparently exercises will be drawn from required readings.

---

We're getting iPad Air 64GB (WiFi only) in black this year.

I'm hearing things that Dean Dubin really wants us to start reading a lot. Apparently exercises will be drawn from required readings.

Apparently they're making a bunch of curriculum changes. I believe that the current M2's will still be on the systems based genesis curriculum but the incoming C/O 2018 will be the first to have the new curriculum. I left KC for third year and I'm not going back this year (M4) other than for graduation week activities so I'm not too current on the day-to-day workings. It sounds like Drs. Dubin and Hahn are doing some really good things though for the school.

I've heard we shouldn't and then I heard we should. So I'm a little confused lol. But I plan on waiting and see.

I'm going to wait and see. I'd buy the EKG book either way. I hear everyone, including students at other schools, say that figuring out how to read EKGs is ridiculous and that Dubin's book is really helpful. Other than that one I'm waiting until after orientation to buy any of the other ones.

I was just told this week that I could be accepted off the waitlist at my #1 school. I was accepted to KCUMB way back in October and I was fully expecting to end up there for quite some time. This is probably a question for someone in Admissions at KCUMB but does anyone know the latest I could "opt-out" of my commitment to the school? I have been told that the school will not request the loans until I am present for the first day of class on August 4th. If I were to be accepted to another school during orientation next week would I be able to explore that option or would I be locked in to my commitment to KCUMB? Has anyone heard of a situation like this before?

Granted the curriculum changed, but during M1 I found the following books to be the most helpful

Anatomy - Netter
Physio - BRS Physiology by Costanzo
Immunology - Basic Immunology by Abbas
Path - Pathoma, Goljan, Big Robbins

Misc:
Dubin EKG book
First Aid for the USMLE

I was just told this week that I could be accepted off the waitlist at my #1 school. I was accepted to KCUMB way back in October and I was fully expecting to end up there for quite some time. This is probably a question for someone in Admissions at KCUMB but does anyone know the latest I could "opt-out" of my commitment to the school? I have been told that the school will not request the loans until I am present for the first day of class on August 4th. If I were to be accepted to another school during orientation next week would I be able to explore that option or would I be locked in to my commitment to KCUMB? Has anyone heard of a situation like this before?

What commitment are you talking about? You're not committed to anything. The deposits just hold your seat but they don't commit you to anything.

Politely decline your acceptance and move on.

Reactions: 2 users
What commitment are you talking about? You're not committed to anything. The deposits just hold your seat but they don't commit you to anything.

Politely decline your acceptance and move on.
Ok, thanks. I guess I was concerned my acceptance of the financial aid awards came with strings attached. I also heard that there were forms that had to be signed during orientation and was wondering if that potentially led to commitment to the school.

Ok, thanks. I guess I was concerned my acceptance of the financial aid awards came with strings attached. I also heard that there were forms that had to be signed during orientation and was wondering if that potentially led to commitment to the school.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your #1 choice?

The amount you are awarded would likely change depending on the school you attend (different tuition = different loans awarded). My guess is that once you accept a certain amount of financial aid from the gov it will probably be a pain to change the value awarded, either way this is definitely a question I'd ask the financial aid department or the FAFSA people themselves.

How long does it take for the financial aid to be awarded?

Do you think we can trade in our ipad at the apple store for one with 3g if we pay the difference. I'd really like the option to throw a sim card into it. Is there software on it that wouldn't be able to be transfered?

Do you think we can trade in our ipad at the apple store for one with 3g if we pay the difference. I'd really like the option to throw a sim card into it. Is there software on it that wouldn't be able to be transfered?
I can't imagine why this wouldn't be allowed. You should double check with IT.

Are the iPads only capable of 3G nowadays or do they also support LTE? I'm not a huge apple fan :D

Sent from my LGLS990

I don't think this is possible.

A friend got his already and the instructions say that the iPads are preregistered and have the 2 year AppleCare already applied.

Still, it doesn't hurt to ask. Let me know what they tell you.

I can't imagine why this wouldn't be allowed. You should double check with IT.

Are the iPads only capable of 3G nowadays or do they also support LTE? I'm not a huge apple fan :D

Sent from my LGLS990
Yea, not a big fan either bit I'll embrace it due to the fact that I don't have a choice.

It looks like they have LTE on the air.

And that sucks, I think the applecare can be transferred can't it? Oh well, I'll during orientation week.

Also, does anyone know when we get our email addresses?

I was offered an acceptance yesterday to the KCUMB Class of 2018, but reluctantly turned it down (will be attending LECOM-E, my top choice).

There has been quite a bit of last minute movement occurring lately.

Love the school, curriculum, and setting, and every single person (faculty and students, even the gentleman serving us lunch and barista who made our complimentary drinks) I encountered during my interview last January was super friendly, outgoing, and welcoming.

Best of luck to those on waitlists/alternate lists and congratulations to all those accepted!!!

ps. If you are interviewing here, know that you are in great company and might just be your favorite interview day you will have this cycle :)