Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
rage.png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It is a little strange that at every other school there seems to be movement but not a peep here

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, looking forward to starting med school at KCUMB in August. Obviously, this is a new experience and I'm not sure how any of it works. Ideally, I need to be in New York the day before Thanksgiving for a family event. Can students normally skip a day of classes without too many issues or problems?

Thx

Hey guys, I wasn't accepted to KCU Med :(, but I was accepted to their Master's program. Assuming I get at least a 3.5gpa my first semester, I get an automatic interview for next year's cycle. Does anyone know how difficult it is to get a 3.5gpa in grad school?

Hey guys, I wasn't accepted to KCU Med :(, but I was accepted to their Master's program. Assuming I get at least a 3.5gpa my first semester, I get an automatic interview for next year's cycle. Does anyone know how difficult it is to get a 3.5gpa in grad school?

I don't think anyone can give you a solid answer to your question. It's really dependent on the individual. Will it be harder than undergrad? Probably. If you go in with a good mindset, set yourself a good study schedule, and truly push yourself to work hard a 3.5 should definitely be attainable.

Maybe someone who has gone through the masters program can chime in?

Hi, looking forward to starting med school at KCUMB in August. Obviously, this is a new experience and I'm not sure how any of it works. Ideally, I need to be in New York the day before Thanksgiving for a family event. Can students normally skip a day of classes without too many issues or problems?

Thx
yea

So skipping all of wed (Tuesday flight) would not be an issue in your opinion?
What if there is a test scheduled?
THANKS!

Who knows if they "change" their policy, but I've left early a few times and missed the first day of class every single break. Obviously make sure you don't have anything important though.

So skipping all of wed (Tuesday flight) would not be an issue in your opinion?
What if there is a test scheduled?
THANKS!

Based on the calendar, it looks like cardiopulmonary will end the day before Thanksgiving (11/25) so I would go ahead and assume we have a section exam that day... :(

THANKS mamit 1001. If any current students have any input that's would be great. Hopefully, I could be on a flt no later than 4PM Wed. I really need to sleep in NY on Wed night. I want to book now before the seats are sold or fares get crazy high. Still reasonable right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
is character limit for the prompts including spaces?

I really hate to think about it in this way, but then again...no movement for a reallyyyy long time. Unless, they are waiting for a larger group of people to drop so that they can pull off a lot of the people from the WL at once, instead of every now and then.
Either way, next week=more hope :)

Reactions: 1 users
I'm leaving on Saturday to go backpacking in Yosemite. If they call me or email me, there's no way I'll know until I'm out of the wilderness the following Saturday! At least it'll get my mind off of it :)

I'm leaving on Saturday to go backpacking in Yosemite. If they call me or email me, there's no way I'll know until I'm out of the wilderness the following Saturday! At least it'll get my mind off of it :)

Maybe you will hear before Saturday :) But I have to say your trip sounds awesome! Enjoy it and do not think about medical school while you are there!

Giving up my waitlist spot tomorrow :( its been real KCU

THANKS mamit 1001. If any current students have any input that's would be great. Hopefully, I could be on a flt no later than 4PM Wed. I really need to sleep in NY on Wed night. I want to book now before the seats are sold or fares get crazy high. Still reasonable right now.
Don't buy a plane ticket until the course has begun....if you have a test on Wednesday, it won't be an excuses absence, and you can't take it early. It may be stressful and you may not get to enjoy your holidays like you are used to, but this is an intense commitment...and reality is, during rotations and residency, you may be working all day during holidays. Sorry to be a downer, but I'd rather you not waste your money on a plane ticket you can't use

Reactions: 1 users
Just received the acceptance call! Praise the Lord, all the waiting paid off!!! I'm finally going to med school! Can't wait to join you guys in the fall! I'm still so excited I don't even know what to do.

Reactions: 3 users
Just received the acceptance call! Praise the Lord, all the waiting paid off!!! I'm finally going to med school! Can't wait to join you guys in the fall! I'm still so excited I don't even know what to do.
Wow, congrats!!! Finally some good news :) How long have you been waitlisted, if I may ask?
P.S. Thanks for sharing!!!

Wow, congrats!!! Finally some good news :) How long have you been waitlisted, if I may ask?
P.S. Thanks for sharing!!!

I interviewed in December, so I've been on the wait list since then. Hopefully some more spots will open up too!

I'm wait listed also and the wait is torture. Lol. I've been working more at the hospital to take my mind off all of it. Singing in the car also helps. ;) I think I emailed multiple admissions people to check the WL status. They are reviewing apps and starting to pull apps but not too many at this point. Hopefully they will start pulling more soon. Hang in there! Myself included. Just make sure you have back up plans ready.

Anyone hear if the wait list is moving? Whos been accepted recently? Anyone planning on not going to KCU?

there is waitlist movement..:) just got taken off the waitlist :)

Reactions: 6 users
there is waitlist movement..:) just got taken off the waitlist :)

Welcome to the class! I am a recent one off the wait list too (last week). It's kinda crazy getting all the paperwork, housing, etc. figured out, but it's so exciting at the same time!

Can anyone comment on the life in Kansas City? I am intrigued by this school, but I have spent my whole life in the NYC/Philly/Boston areas, so I worry that it will be a little remote for me...

Can anyone comment on the life in Kansas City? I am intrigued by this school, but I have spent my whole life in the NYC/Philly/Boston areas, so I worry that it will be a little remote for me...

Kansas City is still pretty giant man. Its not NYC though. This is the Midwest. All we have is Chicago.

Hi guys, does anyone know when is the last day to be taken off the wait list? Or any idea how many people got off the waiting list? I have a really hard time contacting the admissions...

This thread is so depressing...and actually other schools' threads as well.

Well to you it does not matter, because you are accepted :p Lucky! :)
But I would like to see some movement. A few people got accepted earlier, but now it is so quiet...I wonder if there will accept more people or will they just wait till orientation.

Well to you it does not matter, because you are accepted :p Lucky! :)
But I would like to see some movement. A few people got accepted earlier, but now it is so quiet...I wonder if there will accept more people or will they just wait till orientation.
Ohhhh I'm sorry :( I didn't know that's why you said that. Hopefully it moves soon!

do schools send out emails when the class is full?

do schools send out emails when the class is full?

I got one from another school that said as of now the class of full but if people start to drop out then they would inform us. Basically, they said to go ahead and commit to your back up plan by June 15 if you hadn't heard anything.

no need to apologize ;) Even though it is VERY late, I still have some hope left :)
I'm right there with you Suzanna. I've put my backup into place, but still holding out a little bit of hope for KCU :)

Accepted off waitlist but declined...hopefully it goes to someone in need!