Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
can some breifly explain why this school is so great? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

mature student body compared to a lot of other schools

Dean is a hardass and really wants you to learn your crap

You go through all systems twice

100 year rep

DO school that feels like an MD school

KCUMB is my 1st choice DO school. You have any interview tips for me if I get an interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviews for the most part are all the same. They have seen your stats now they want to get a feel for who you are and make sure that you are not socially inept. Just relax, I realize this is easier said than done, I saw way too many interviewees hyperventilating and shaking before going into an interview. They aren't going to ask you any amazingly hard questions but they might throw out an ethical scenario. I know my interviewer at KCUMB asked an ethical question but it was a piece of cake to answer. Smile, answer directly, look at your interviewer, and at the end when they say "Ok, do you have any questions for me?" have a question ready that you can ask. I believe this shows them that you are serious about the interview and the school. Also, almost every interviewer asked "why are you interested in our school?" Have a good answer and not some patent generic answer either. Also remember that you are being interviewed throughout the entire day so don't goof off and act a fool, and try to be talkative with fellow interviewees.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviews for the most part are all the same. They have seen your stats now they want to get a feel for who you are and make sure that you are not socially inept. Just relax, I realize this is easier said than done, I saw way too many interviewees hyperventilating and shaking before going into an interview. They aren't going to ask you any amazingly hard questions but they might throw out an ethical scenario. I know my interviewer at KCUMB asked an ethical question but it was a piece of cake to answer. Smile, answer directly, look at your interviewer, and at the end when they say "Ok, do you have any questions for me?" have a question ready that you can ask. I believe this shows them that you are serious about the interview and the school. Also, almost every interviewer asked "why are you interested in our school?" Have a good answer and not some patent generic answer either. Also remember that you are being interviewed throughout the entire day so don't goof off and act a fool, and try to be talkative with fellow interviewees.

Duly noted.

I'm incredibly happy some of you made it off the wait list! Exciting and tough times ahead. Definitely late in the game but still some hope I make it off the wait list too. If not, another go at that pesky MCAT and application cycle!! Never giving up! I have infiltrated the KCU coffee shop so i plan to stick around since they pay me. Ill see some of you!

Reactions: 1 users
can some breifly explain why this school is so great? thanks

Great student opportunities for research, community service, and leadership without losing the main focus: academics. The school provides tutoring and learning services as well as Kaplan board prep.
As @Awesome Sauceome has said, you are repeating the systems twice: once normal physio and anatomy, the second year with pharm and path all aligned towards board training. We get about two months of time for board prep.

The school itself is expanding tremendously: it will have have one of the largest and most advanced clinical and surgical simulation centers, used for training by the neighboring MD school UMKC SOM as well upon it's completion. KCU has been buying an expanding a lot this year and I am fairly confident they will be expanding it's programs offered as well as it's research (hopefully into a full fledged PhD program).

KCU is community focused and means it. Outside of community service days such as the one we are about to embark on tomorrow the school actually puts its resources into building a better community. It recently tore down a very neighboring motel that caused mayhem for the neighborhood and will be using it as a green park for the next few years before utilizing it for building expansion.

Outside of just school, it's a few minutes away from downtown KC which in itself is very very nice to have before and after exams (great coffee shops, restaurants, bars)

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted but I'm giving it up!
Super chill interview ~ talked about drones (was not on my CV) haha

you guys i'm nervous about my phone interview tomorrow. Any advice?