Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences! UHS--->> KCUMB effective 7/1/04

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xXAnksXx

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
New name New degrees offered.

PHD
DO/PHD
MS
DO/MS
DO
DO/MBA

Members don't see this ad.

Just joshin with You.!!

i changed it thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
xXAnksXx said:
Just joshin with You.!!

i changed it thanks.

bhut i thunk his name wuz.... uh.......

xXAnksXx said:
New name New degrees offered.

PHD
DO/PHD
MS
DO/MS
DO
DO/MBA

So, where did you find this info? What emphasis will the PhD be in? Will the students be able to obtain it at UHS (I mean KCUMB) or is it going to be through an agreement with a school like KU or UMKC?

BiochemMan said:
So, where did you find this info? What emphasis will the PhD be in? Will the students be able to obtain it at UHS (I mean KCUMB) or is it going to be through an agreement with a school like KU or UMKC?

They haven't (to my knowledge) released a press statement nor have they published any other information online. As of now, you have received all of the official information that I know of. Look for the other thread on this topic before it disappears, I will try to bump it to the top. President Pletz will be addressing our class on Monday and if you have any specific questions feel free to pm me. If the subject isn't discussed, I will ask her for you. As for the various degrees offered... The DO, MS, and PhD degrees will all be offered by KCUMB. There will be a new College of Biosciences, which will offer the new degrees. UHS (KCUMB) owns a lot of land around the neighborhood and will expand the campus as necessary. Our new research building is very close to being finished. I have heard rumors of a new building with a larger workout facility and a large auditorium being built in 2005. The DO/MBA degree as always will be a joint venture between KCUMB and Rockhurst University. Information about this program should be available on the website.

good luck,

wbdo

I just want to go on record and say that 6 years is not NEARLY long enough for a combined DO/PhD. program. I came from a research background and I have a lot of friends in MD/PhD programs. They advertise that their programs take 7 years, but most people are there for at least 8. How in the world can you do proper biomedical research in only two additional years? I hope that they change this because if not it will be a PhD. in name only. I also wonder if this program will be fully funded like most MD/PhD. programs. I highly doubt it.

Bama, I am only going by what I was told by our class prez. I'm sure both of our classes will ask about this issue when we see Pletz on Monday. My understanding of most MSTPs is that it is up to the student to set their timeline for their PhD which is completed between the basic science and clinical years.

BamaAlum said:
I just want to go on record and say that 6 years is not NEARLY long enough for a combined DO/PhD. program. I came from a research background and I have a lot of friends in MD/PhD programs. They advertise that their programs take 7 years, but most people are there for at least 8. How in the world can you do proper biomedical research in only two additional years? I hope that they change this because if not it will be a PhD. in name only. I also wonder if this program will be fully funded like most MD/PhD. programs. I highly doubt it.

Bama,
You're beginning to remind me of that dude on ER last night that Neela's working with now. :smuggrin:
M.

DrMaryC said:
Bama,
You're beginning to remind me of that dude on ER last night that Neela's working with now. :smuggrin:
M.

That's exactly what I was thinking. That was pretty stupid how he had his coffee on the lab bench (OSHA???) next to six weeks worth of work :rolleyes:. C'mon, ER was getting good, but that episode was laughable.

A lot of PhDs would tell you that and MD/PhD is a PhD in name only. One of my classmates is a PhD or will be this May, he said that the avg time for a PhD these days is 6 or 7 years.

DrMaryC said:
Bama,
M.

I would just hate for The School Formerly known as UHS to offer a combined PhD. degree that is essentially meaningless. Two years in a lab is not enough time to do meaningful biomedical research leading to a doctorate. If there is one thing that I learned from my research days is that your experiments will fail ten times before they ever work. Most of my friends in graduate school have been there for 2-3 years and they have just met the requirements for PhD. candidacy.My former boss told me that he never graduated a student with a PhD. in less than 6 years. Most schools fully fund their MSTP programs, meaning that these students pay no tuition and get a stipend. The school benefits from these students because they are cheap labor, they put out publication and they help the faculty secure large grants. How many think that TSFKAUHS will follow this mold? It just seems to me that the newly proposed graduate programs are new means of generating revenue for the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Docgeorge said:
A lot of PhDs would tell you that and MD/PhD is a PhD in name only. One of my classmates is a PhD or will be this May, he said that the avg time for a PhD these days is 6 or 7 years.

At the lab where I worked (UC Davis - Bodega Marine Lab) the average was 5-6 years unless your PI was "borrowing" your data :laugh:. One guy was still there after 7 or 8 years because his advisor/PI kept using his data.

It will probabally be in health policy or something.

This is big step in the life of UHS. I really, really hope that they are not going to offer a 6 year DO/PhD program IF the PhD is granted in a basic science field. However, I don't think it would be a big deal if it were a 6 year DO/PhD with the PhD in healthy policy or something. It will be very interesting to see if the school will be offer a basic science PhD that is not connected to the DO/PhD program.

It is interesting that they plan on offering a stand alone PhD. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this might be a first for private osteopathic institutions. Personally, if the program is setup correctly, I think that is a big step forward for bring osteopathy into the "mainstream." I, like many others, think that Osteopathic schools need to be more heavily committed to basic science research. UHS (or KCUMB) seems determined to make this happen. The first step was building the new research center and the next step would be to start producing high quaulity basic science researchers.

UHS students, PLEASE keep us informed!

Thanks,
Dave

Calm down! Good Lord! Please allow for some flexibility...and please stop whining about "should be this...and I heard that". This is a developing program, jeez. You should be glad the school is EXPANDING unlike other schools that offer silly allied health degrees which may turn and bite them in the ass some day...or even closing or lowering class size!

i think it's interesting that they dropped the word "osteopathic" from the medical school.

jhug said:
i think it's interesting that they dropped the word "osteopathic" from the medical school.

They did no such thing, the word osteopathic was never in the University of Health Sciences. The name of the college remains intact.

good point...

just some thoughts...

most MD / PHD programs are funded like a typical university, such that most of the students do not have to pay tuition and and in fact are normally paid and given free tuition. this is also mostly because they are large instituions that have a lot of money and/or are given money by the government for this very purpose.

to the same effect, most DO / PHD programs are not funded. Most programs are offered by smaller universities and typically have not been given government funding.

on a separate point. i would like to see if any of you would be in favor of starting request for a rule for the university, that its name cannot be changed any more than once every hundred years. in the past one hundered years, the former uhs had changed its name three times. while i see the benefits of a different name for various reasons, i feel that proper a university that is after the respect of its community and organization cannot be changing its name so often. a great deal of time and effort has been put forward by many people up and to this time under the various past names, and to change it now still just seems unfortunate.

originally the name was changed to uhs with hopes of developing additional colleges. so what that that did not come to fruition, but now it looks like a new effort to do that... however a new name does not seem to be the right pathway, rather the need exists for the new college! i.e. changing the name all of the time will not magically manefest additional colleges.

perhaps the name from the original to uhs was a mistake. the new name is actually very close to the original. i would still like to suggest this proposition... any ideas?? am i completely off base????

I agree that we should be less critical of what this new program may or may not be. Obviously this program is unlikely to offer an NIH MSTP program, and there is a real possibility that the DO/Phd will have a non-science Phd.

Nevertheless, the school is making a move that opens up alot of possible paths for expansion of quality research. There is no reason why this cannot grow into something great, but that will take time and effort.

One must remember, that when the nursing dorms closed and no new proposed nursing school opened...the addition of a nursing "college" died with it and UHS was left with a lone college. When I was in school at UHS, adding PT and OT was heavily considered to add to the "University"...but the poor job outlook for PTs/OTs nixed that idea.
To see this type of expansion is quite remarkable, despite the fact it is lead by a President who is a JD! UHS was very very close to closing in the late 80s when the hospital closed...it nearly pulled the school down with it. Now there is a new name, new combined degrees, and now hopefully some average Joe in Kansas City won't say "now where do you go to school??".

DocWagner said:
and now hopefully some average Joe in Kansas City won't say "now where do you go to school??".

This is a VERY common occurrence for me. Ok, so yesterday I'm eating at Chinese Buffet and studying from a BRS Anatomy book. Some guy at the next table asks what I'm studying, and I say Medicine. He asks, "where do you go to school." I prepare for the whole spiel of explaining where my school is, that it's the oldest school in the city, and the second oldest in the state and the largest in the state, followed by explaining what an osteopathic physician is...you get the idea. I was pleasantly surprised when he responded by saying, "Oh, I graduated from there in 2001." It turns out he is a Ortho resident at the UHS Ortho program. We had a nice conversation for a few minutes. Followed by I'll see you in a few years :)

DocWagner said:
One must remember, that when the nursing dorms closed and no new proposed nursing school opened...the addition of a nursing "college" died with it and UHS was left with a lone college. When I was in school at UHS, adding PT and OT was heavily considered to add to the "University"...but the poor job outlook for PTs/OTs nixed that idea.
To see this type of expansion is quite remarkable, despite the fact it is lead by a President who is a JD! UHS was very very close to closing in the late 80s when the hospital closed...it nearly pulled the school down with it. Now there is a new name, new combined degrees, and now hopefully some average Joe in Kansas City won't say "now where do you go to school??".

I'm confused. Why did UHS have nursing dorms and no nursing school? Did they use to have a nursing school?

daveswafford said:
I'm confused. Why did UHS have nursing dorms and no nursing school? Did they use to have a nursing school?

The current location of UHS was the original location of Children's Mercy Hospital. It was purchased in '73 I believe. The building that is our admin building was the hospital, our classroom building was for overflow patients, I believe. And Smith Hall, where we have our study rooms was the Nurses Dorm.

In 1980, the school's name was changed from the Kansas City College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCCOM) to the University of Health Sciences, and a formal University structure was taken up. The intention was to have a nursing school along with the med school. Those plans fell through when the school was undergoing a lot of financial problems in the 80s but the name and hierarchy remained.

Pletz spoke with us today and gave us some more details on the future of KCUMB. The Masters program will begin in 2005 with 15 students. They will increase 5 students per year until they have 25 total, the initial degree offered will be a Masters in Biomedical Sciences. The PhD program will be available as a standalone in Biomedical Sciences, or a dual DO/PhD MSTP.

Also, within 12 months, groundbreaking will begin for a 1500 seat auditorium with two wings, a new expanded library and an activity center (expanded gym and basketball courts, etc.). It will be interesting to see all of these things happening in the next few years.

wbdo

Don't forget about the MPH in International Medicine...I think the school is trying to do too much in a too little time...normally companies take a year to change names and add stuff...its good for us though...we graduate with a better name on our diploma...should we start a KCUMB Class of 2007