Kansas State C/O 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long are thinking of staying there? I was just going to fly in the morning before and leave after my interview. You may want to chek flights again, I was able to find some flying into Manhattan for around $550.
Fly in the day of your interview or fly the day before? Your post could read either way to me, but I’d recommend thinking about the day before, personally, if you were going the day of. Winter weather happens and either last cycle or two cycles ago I ended up having to move my flight at 11 pm the night before to fly out in the early morning (so literally 5 or 6 hours before my new flight) because there was going to be a MASSIVE snowstorm in Georgia during the afternoon, where my flight was connecting from Florida, and my original flight ended up getting cancelled after being delayed for hours.
And the Manhattan airport is tiny with tiny planes, so there’s more chance of weather affecting your flight on either end.

Members don't see this ad.

How long are thinking of staying there? I was just going to fly in the morning before and leave after my interview. You may want to chek flights again, I was able to find some flying into Manhattan for around $550.
I'm staying there with a friend for a few days actually! But my interview is the 3rd and I'm getting there the 2nd in the morning, and flying the day after new years can be a little pricey. It may be where I'm flying though that might make it expensive!

I was on the interview waitlist and got an interview invite today around 3:30 pm! For those who are interview alternate, keep an eye out on your emails!

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was on the interview waitlist and got an interview invite today around 3:30 pm! For those who are interview alternate, keep an eye out on your emails!
Gives me hope!

Reactions: 2 users
Can any current K-State students calm my nerves about the interview a bit? I'm just not sure what sort of questions I should prepare to answer and I am slightly freaking out!

Reactions: 1 user
Can any current K-State students calm my nerves about the interview a bit? I'm just not sure what sort of questions I should prepare to answer and I am slightly freaking out!
I interviewed twice before getting in and all I can say is it depends on who is doing the interview.

The questions you will always need a good answer for are:

How would you describe yourself?
Why did you choose Kansas State?
Why veterinary medicine?

Other than that they may ask about something specific on your transcript or your experiences you listed on your application. My last interview asked me where I got my news from. It really varies.

The best advice I can give any of you first timers is this. You wouldn't have this interview if you weren't qualified and now you have to show them that you would be a good fit for the school and it's a chance for you to make sure the school works for you.

Think of a few questions you would like to ask the interviewers (if possible relate it to their specialty which they will tell you when they introduce themselves) and make sure you are enthusiastic! They want you to be excited about K-State so do your research and know about the programs going on here. For example Hills just gave $2.2 million for an addition to the clinical space in the hospital.

Best of luck to all of you! You'll do great

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

It's really not that bad! I was super nervous for my interview, but I actually felt good coming out of it (one of my interviewers even came up to me afterward and said I did a great job), and obviously it turned out well! It's a very conversational interview, they just want to get to know you better. A lot of the questions will be specific to things on your application. I remember there was one question I didn't have a very good answer for, but I stumbled through it and it wasn't a big deal, they understand everyone is nervous!

I could have sworn I'd shared this link earlier in the thread but couldn't find it, but anyway there are a ton of past questions available here: Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine (click the "interview feedback" tab). There are pages for each vet school if you have other interviews, but not all schools allow questions to be shared.

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed twice before getting in and all I can say is it depends on who is doing the interview.

Why veterinary medicine?

Other than that they may ask about something specific on your transcript or your experiences you listed on your application. My last interview asked me where I got my news from. It really varies.

The best advice I can give any of you first timers is this. You wouldn't have this interview if you weren't qualified and now you have to show them that you would be a good fit for the school and it's a chance for you to make sure the school works for you.

Think of a few questions you would like to ask the interviewers (if possible relate it to their specialty which they will tell you when they introduce themselves) and make sure you are enthusiastic! They want you to be excited about K-State so do your research and know about the programs going on here. For example Hills just gave $2.2 million for an addition to the clinical space in the hospital.

Do you recommend sending thank you cards to each interviewer individually? Some people don't send them at all but I'd like to, so I'm wondering if it should be addressed to the entire committee or to each member.

Do you recommend sending thank you cards to each interviewer individually? Some people don't send them at all but I'd like to, so I'm wondering if it should be addressed to the entire committee or to each member.
So I didn't do this but it's not a bad idea as at least one of the interviewers will be your professor at some point. It's not going to increase the odds of you getting in but if you do it might make you stand out to that professor. It's not something that is expected by any means and it isn't the norm but I don't think it would be detrimental.

I send cards to each member individually. There are usually 2 professors and a local veterinarian on your committee so finding the local veterinarian's address was a little harder. It adds a nice touch to the end of the interview process.

It is really not that bad. Make conversation with them and try and not be nervous. They will most likely throw you a weird question that you cannot answer. Mine was something along the lines of what do you do if your lab partner is sleeping with the TA. They just want to see how you respond given a completely obscure question and if you can think on your feet. Know about the experiences on your application. Most of my questions were based on some of my internships. I know it is hard, but if you got an interview then you are qualified to come to K-state, they just want to find the best match possible during the interview. Make sure you have a few questions to ask them. They recently added clinical skills starting n 1st year, the clinic is going to be remodeled thanks to Hill's Pet Nutrition, we have a new Equine Performance center. Do you homework on K-state and ask them some questions. They want to see that your are truly interested in joining this family

I send cards to each member individually. There are usually 2 professors and a local veterinarian on your committee so finding the local veterinarian's address was a little harder. It adds a nice touch to the end of the interview process.
Didn’t they say last year to email them to Mary Sue and she’d distribute them? Versus essentially creeping on a local veterinarian...

Didn’t they say last year to email them to Mary Sue and she’d distribute them? Versus essentially creeping on a local veterinarian...

They never mentioned anything about sending out Thank you cards last year. I had asked a couple of the people working the interviews and no one had an answer for what to do with them. Mary Sue retired now so I do not know who they would have distribute them.

They never mentioned anything about sending out Thank you cards last year. I had asked a couple of the people working the interviews and no one had an answer for what to do with them. Mary Sue retired now so I do not know who they would have distribute them.
I know, I’m just saying last year I’m fairly sure it that WAS at KSU (I don’t think I’m mixing it up with another school) where the ambassadors had told us that we should email them to Mary Sue and she’d send them along vs looking the people up?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's unfortunate, Ski is correct, us ambassadors were instructed to have people mail or email their thank you notes to Mary Sue and she would distribute them. We don't actively encourage people to send thank yous, but if people ask we were supposed to just give them their interviewers' names and Mary Sue's contact info. Anyway, doesn't really matter now, but I'll find out where they want thank yous sent this year and make sure the other ambassadors know!

I’m gonna have to decline this interview, I just can’t afford to fly out to manhattan or even Kansas City right now :( From where I live even with quite a bit of driving it would be like $900-1200. Hopefully one of you guys on the waitlist here will get it!! ;)

I’m gonna have to decline this interview, I just can’t afford to fly out to manhattan or even Kansas City right now :( From where I live even with quite a bit of driving it would be like $900-1200. Hopefully one of you guys on the waitlist here will get it!! ;)
I see on your profile that it says you are from hell. Is it really that expensive to fly from hell to Kansas? lol jk. On a serious note, I am sorry that it is so expensive to fly. I hope that everything works out, and that your travels for other potential invites aren't as crazy as that (that is an insane amount to pay)! Before you reject your invite, make sure to double check other potential airlines. I am flying into Kansas City with Southwest and driving to Manhattan with a rental car (renting for two days). It is around $450 for the flight, rental, and hotel for a night. Good luck with everything :)

Reactions: 4 users
I see on your profile that it says you are from hell. Is it really that expensive to fly from hell to Kansas? lol jk. On a serious note, I am sorry that it is so expensive to fly. I hope that everything works out, and that your travels for other potential invites aren't as crazy as that (that is an insane amount to pay)! Before you reject your invite, make sure to double check other potential airlines. I am flying into Kansas City with Southwest and driving to Manhattan with a rental car (renting for two days). It is around $450 for the flight, rental, and hotel for a night. Good luck with everything :)
Yeah, I've spent a couple weeks meticulously looking at flights and even flying to places like St. Louis or OK City it was still just ridiculous. I think it's cause I'm from a pretty small town in Texas and even if I flew out of a bigger city like Austin there's still no direct flights and a rental car makes up for whatever I save lol. Good luck with your interview as well!

Yeah, I've spent a couple weeks meticulously looking at flights and even flying to places like St. Louis or OK City it was still just ridiculous. I think it's cause I'm from a pretty small town in Texas and even if I flew out of a bigger city like Austin there's still no direct flights and a rental car makes up for whatever I save lol. Good luck with your interview as well!
I totally understand that! Thank you for the well wishes. I need all the luck I can get :laugh:

What websites did you check? And were you a December or January interview?

What websites did you check? And were you a December or January interview?
I checked frontier, southwest, Expedia, orbitz, google flights, I even tried my American Express points lol. I was a December date so I had been looking into it since I got the offer a few weeks ago but no dice. Oh well :rolleyes: at least i’ll be able to spend my birthday with my fam instead of an interview! :p

I checked frontier, southwest, Expedia, orbitz, google flights, I even tried my American Express points lol. I was a December date so I had been looking into it since I got the offer a few weeks ago but no dice. Oh well :rolleyes:
Maybe they’d allow you to swap to a later date after the holidays when flights ideally will be a bit less? It’s a long shot, but I don’t see any harm in asking if the other option is cancelling :(
If you do end up not being able to make it work, I’ll be crossing my fingers for other schools you applied to!

It is pretty cheep flying from Houston to Kansas City. Flying into Manhattan right now from here is $800. I'm driving back and forth from TX three times over the holidays! Good luck to everyone coming here in the next week!

I am SO STOKED this is coming up T minus 10 days! I'm excited to go on the campus tour and see the improvements from what I saw last winter during construction as well as meet everyone!

Do any current students know if we are allowed to bring in a small notebook with questions we have for the interviewers?

I am SO STOKED this is coming up T minus 10 days! I'm excited to go on the campus tour and see the improvements from what I saw last winter during construction as well as meet everyone!

Do any current students know if we are allowed to bring in a small notebook with questions we have for the interviewers?
I definitely did. I had a little padfolio thing (because it was small and looked nice and also pink) that I got cheap at Walgreens or something that I brought to all my interviews so I had a place to write my questions down so I’d remember them. Obviously could then also write their answers down when I asked.

If anyone is needing transportation between Kansas City and Manhattan, I saw there is now Greyhound bus service going there! I don't know the details of the cost or schedule, I just saw a brief article about it.

If anyone is needing transportation between Kansas City and Manhattan, I saw there is now Greyhound bus service going there! I don't know the details of the cost or schedule, I just saw a brief article about it.
I think it's fairly cost prohibitive, like $80 one way. Correct me if I'm wrong. Cheaper to rent a car, I think.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I think it's fairly cost prohibitive, like $80 one way. Correct me if I'm wrong. Cheaper to rent a car, I think.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
I looked it up out of curiosity and it's actually around $30 each way! Downside is there's only one bus per day.

I looked it up out of curiosity and it's actually around $30 each way! Downside is there's only one bus per day.
I just looked, and there is one bus at 8:30am in the morning for $24 and one bus back for $37 at 3:45pm. The rates vary depending on what day of the week you head there and back.

Why veterinary medicine?

Do you think there was a big difference between the first/second interview, and did they ask you anything about reapplying? I'm interviewing for the second time at K-State on the 4th, so I don't want to go in with a pretense and be completely thrown for a loop!

It is really not that bad. Make conversation with them and try and not be nervous. They will most likely throw you a weird question that you cannot answer. Mine was something along the lines of what do you do if your lab partner is sleeping with the TA. They just want to see how you respond given a completely obscure question and if you can think on your feet. Know about the experiences on your application. Most of my questions were based on some of my internships. I know it is hard, but if you got an interview then you are qualified to come to K-state, they just want to find the best match possible during the interview. Make sure you have a few questions to ask them. They recently added clinical skills starting n 1st year, the clinic is going to be remodeled thanks to Hill's Pet Nutrition, we have a new Equine Performance center. Do you homework on K-state and ask them some questions. They want to see that your are truly interested in joining this family
Do you mind me asking what your answer was for the sleeping with the TA question?

Do you think there was a big difference between the first/second interview, and did they ask you anything about reapplying? I'm interviewing for the second time at K-State on the 4th, so I don't want to go in with a pretense and be completely thrown for a loop!
I don’t recall being asked anything about reapplying last cycle. My two interviews were very similar, just with different people interviewing and the questions weren’t the exact same

Do you mind me asking what your answer was for the sleeping with the TA question?

They are just looking to see how you react to an obscure question like that. I said it depends on the situation and how the TA was interacting with the student. They were not looking for a right or wrong answer, but to think on the spot and justify whatever answer you decided on. I joked with my interviewers about the question and it definitely lightened up the mood. Best part was that the professor that asked that question is my main Physiology professor 1st semester.

Good luck on your interview and relax. I know it is hard, but they really just want to get to know about you

I don’t recall being asked anything about reapplying last cycle. My two interviews were very similar, just with different people interviewing and the questions weren’t the exact same
That makes a lot of sense. Did you bring up having applied twice at all? Or did you just treat it as a completely new cycle?

They are just looking to see how you react to an obscure question like that. I said it depends on the situation and how the TA was interacting with the student. They were not looking for a right or wrong answer, but to think on the spot and justify whatever answer you decided on. I joked with my interviewers about the question and it definitely lightened up the mood. Best part was that the professor that asked that question is my main Physiology professor 1st semester.

Good luck on your interview and relax. I know it is hard, but they really just want to get to know about you
He would ask a question like that, lol. :rolleyes: (Funny thing is we don't even have TAs for most classes?? The residents help out for some classes second year but that's about it. So it's a very hypothetical question! :laugh:)

He would ask a question like that, lol. :rolleyes: (Funny thing is we don't even have TAs for most classes?? The residents help out for some classes second year but that's about it. So it's a very hypothetical question! :laugh:)

Apparently he had that happen to him in undergrad!

That makes a lot of sense. Did you bring up having applied twice at all? Or did you just treat it as a completely new cycle?

My interview for KSU was during my 2nd application period. The only thing they really asked was if I had applied to KSU during my 1st cycle (I did not, to which they asked why I decided to apply this time around) and what I did during my gap year that I felt help improve my application and readiness for the veterinary program. They do not hold taking a gap year against you and after taking to the interviewers, they said gap years can be greatly beneficial so you do not get burned out from non-stop schooling.

Lol guess I'm an ungrateful. I didn't send thank yous to any interviewers at any school.

Don't give them any ideas. Unless they pay me more. Then maybe. Maybe.

Lol guess I'm an ungrateful. I didn't send thank yous to any interviewers at any school.

I sent one to my boss at my current job and I think it really resonated with him, he thanked me for it and said that it's uncommon for people to do it nowadays and then I got hired, so it's just kind of stuck!

With all the conversation of cost of travel via bus/renting a car I thought I'd throw it out there again if any OOS are flying in on the 14th for the dinner, I live in the KC, MO area and would be happy to pick you up at the airport. I believe we (my best friend is coming with for moral support) are planning on driving out around noon, but we can wait until 2 or 3pm. Its really not out of the way for me, and if it helps out someone else I am game! Just PM me :)

Reactions: 5 users
With all the conversation of cost of travel via bus/renting a car I thought I'd throw it out there again if any OOS are flying in on the 14th for the dinner, I live in the KC, MO area and would be happy to pick you up at the airport. I believe we (my best friend is coming with for moral support) are planning on driving out around noon, but we can wait until 2 or 3pm. Its really not out of the way for me, and if it helps out someone else I am game! Just PM me :)
lol this is the kind of support i would like in the incoming class of whatever school i end up going to! so nice!

Reactions: 4 users
In excited about going to the dinner the evening before interviews.

What do people wear to this? (How casual or formal is it?)

Reactions: 2 users
In excited about going to the dinner the evening before interviews.

What do people wear to this? (How casual or formal is it?)
In the past, it was fairly casual (I wore khakis and a decent looking shirt, pretty sure I saw people in nice jeans), but I think it was discussed previously in this thread that either the email said it or someone emailed and asked, so check back in the thread and you should find it!

This may be a stupid question, but is the interview at K-State MMI or normal interview format. I've been preparing for both thus far, but I'd like to narrow it down more if I can.
Congrats to everyone that got the interview and good luck further down the line!

This may be a stupid question, but is the interview at K-State MMI or normal interview format. I've been preparing for both thus far, but I'd like to narrow it down more if I can.
Congrats to everyone that got the interview and good luck further down the line!

It is just one 30 minute interview.

It's a traditional interview, open-file, mainly about you and your experiences! Further up on the page I posted a link to a bunch of past questions.

Does anyone happen to know what the timeline is for when the will give out decisions, and then how long we have to accept? My IS school is Mizzou and it looks like I might not interview until March and decisions might not be given until early April.

Does anyone happen to know what the timeline is for when the will give out decisions, and then how long we have to accept? My IS school is Mizzou and it looks like I might not interview until March and decisions might not be given until early April.

I interviewed during the 1st week of January last year and heard back during the 1st week of Feburary. December dates might here back sooner, but I am not sure about that. You have until the decision date of I believe April 15th to decide.

All schools have to have made their decision and informed students prior to April 15th from what I understand

I'm not sure when decisions will go out, but for all US schools you have until April 15th to accept or decline your spot.